OT: - The Old, the Obscure, and The Forgotten - Round 2 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

OT: The Old, the Obscure, and The Forgotten - Round 2

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
This is not obscure or forgotten but I thought it was appropriate to post today which is the 50th anniversary of the tragic shootings at Kent State.

So terribly sad. A very dark day in my life. I was in school in Meadville, Pa. We were 100 miles away from Kent, but our campus felt the anguish profoundly.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
This caught my ear today. I was 12 when it came out in 1963 , and I was in love with a girl that summer! Too bad she did not know me. We would have been magic together. ;) The Tymes were from Philly and this was their first hit, #1 here and in the UK.

Reaction Score
Neil Larsen, pretty much unknown to most over the past few decades, but boy he put out some great jazzy instrumentals over the years:

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I don't think Townes Van Zandt was ever very well known to the general public, but he was a musician's musician, a highly respected songwriter. Plenty of others covered his tunes. "Pancho and Lefty" and "If I Needed You" in particular are classic country tunes. When John Prine died recently it got me to thinking about TVZ. Anyway here he is doing one of his songs.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
These guys had a following, but they didn't hit it big. On some of their songs they are straight out channeling Buck Owens, they make no bones about it (same w/ Dwight Yoakam; that Buck guy was fairly influential). Other songs go in a different direction. They started with dual singers, one of them left. I think they are still around but it's not the same without the other guy.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I thought Kim Richey was poised to break out, but Nashville wasn't feeling it and she faded into obscurity. Too bad, she had some great songs in the 90s. Wrote a hit for Trisha Yearwood though (Believe Me Baby I Lied). I'm sure it's true of most of the music industry, but in particular Nashville/the country music establishment has really whiffed on some talented artists and pushed some generic stuff. I tuned out decades ago.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
At a club some friends and I would challenge guys to sing this karaoke style, which is nearly impossible, unless you are Steve Perry. We would laugh and laugh, but you had to admire any man who tried (especially if he showed up wearing leather pants and a blousy-style shirt).

Last edited:

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
One thing I like about the tv show Billions is that they play pretty good songs I've never heard before, and they fit perfectly into the right scene at the right time, for the right mood, or uh, whatever. This one, I think, has a nice beat to it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Willis Alan Ramsey, "Satin Sheets" from his one and only album.

I think a number of people have covered it, but I love his laid back style:

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Willis Alan Ramsey, "Satin Sheets" from his one and only album.

I think a number of people have covered it, but I love his laid back style:

Where did the University of Alabama "A" come from in the upper left corner?

Reaction Score
This is quite the piece of music, buried deep in the Derek and the Dominos catalog. I love how you can discern all the instruments pretty cleanly, and I think the last 50% of the song is extra impressive:

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom