OT: - The Old, the Obscure, and The Forgotten - Round 2 | Page 11 | The Boneyard

OT: The Old, the Obscure, and The Forgotten - Round 2

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Here's another (non-native) Nutmegger. When David Geffen first heard Laura Nyro, he dropped everything to manage her. Unfortunately almost all of the footage of her at Monterey was lost, and never got much traction as a performer. I like most of her performances of her songs, multi-tracked vocals (which I don't normally like) and all, better than the more famous versions. Here's one of my faves:

I was very fond of Ms Nyro early on. I bought her First Songs album in 1968. So talented, but not happy as a live performer. She died way too early. She made a few groups famous with her songs. I love "Save The Country", and we could use her voice singing it now. Save the people, save the children, save the country now. She's got fury in her soul!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Here is one Laura Nyro did around 1970. And yes you do hear Duane Allman playing guitar.

I own that album and never listened to it much. There's a youtube playlist of her first four albums, so I had a listen to it earlier today. It's actually fantastic. This song and Christmas make a really powerful end to the album. The album was produced by Felix Cavaliere of the Rascals and has an all-star cast of jazz players on it.

I've also listened to several of her concerts uploaded onto YT, and she was a really wonderful solo performer. Her voice was so powerful and flexible.

Reaction Score
Laura Nyro- oh yeah - amazing artist. Was very fortunate to see her at a music venue in Indianapolis around 1987 or so. The Nested album seems to be a little extra obscure, "Child in a Universe" was always a real standout to me from it:

Reaction Score
With all of the college graduating going on (including my daughter) and the angst of these kids dealing with moving on to the next phase of their lives I remembered this one. Not outrageously old, but not played anymore either.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This is from the first solo album by John Kay, lead singer of Steppenwolf. Of the many, many versions of Robert Johnson songs, this is my absolute favorite:

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
We was all alone and she said
Tone let me tell you one thing
I need $50 to make you holler
I get paid to do the wild thing

Last edited:

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Heard this in a German language series today. Haven't heard it in years, but still great.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Heard this in a German language series today. Haven't heard it in years, but still great.

His younger brother Ike and his trio would come over to my house twice a year and jam with my fathers trio. He sounded a lot like Nat. Enjoyed listening to the guys jam. On Natalie's album/CD Unforgettable, dedicating it to her father, Ike played the piano on the Route 66 number, and was the keyboard player when Natalie sang it at the Grammy awards that year.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
His younger brother Ike and his trio would come over to my house twice a year and jam with my fathers trio. He sounded a lot like Nat. Enjoyed listening to the guys jam. On Natalie's album/CD Unforgettable, dedicating it to her father, Ike played the piano on the Route 66 number, and was the keyboard player when Natalie sang it at the Grammy awards that year.
Great memories!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This song is REALLY old. Nobody is sure just how far it dates back. Before the turn of the 20th century anyway. Lead Belly and Bill Monroe recorded versions of it in the 1940s. Numerous artists have continued to record versions of it, but not as frequently as they used to. I don't think this song is as well known now as it once was. Apparently it goes by several different titles. I like this bluegrass treatment of it from the 50s.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Here is an old one. Done by many great vocalists overthe years . But this is my favorite version.

Reaction Score
Now here's one that is truly old and obscure- I remember it as early teen in '63 - don't think it was ever a big hit but nevertheless a good tune:

Bama fan

Reaction Score
I remember hearing this song by her on the radio during WWII. REALLY brings back memories!
I am just a bit too young to remember it airing during the war. But my older siblings are. And my dad used to sing it around the house, if you could call it singing!

Reaction Score
Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames - the song "Yeh Yeh" - pretty obscure now, but I do remember hearing it on WBZ radio, probably mid 60's:

Reaction Score
The Proclaimers had one large hit that everyone in the US titles "500 Miles" has probably heard because of it's inclusion in the sound track for the movie "Benny and Joon." They had success in the UK, Australia and New Zealand but not much buzz here in the states. I doubt many have heard this song unless the have the "Sunshine on Leith" album stashed away somewhere.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom