The Official Tourney Thread | Page 18 | The Boneyard

The Official Tourney Thread

Reaction Score
virginia is painful to watch, talk about bad offense

I despise everything about Tony Bennett basketball. They clearly planned to feature Nichols which was a huge blow but they still have experienced a big uptick in recruiting. No need to place ice basketball for 40 minutes like ND did that one year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
that call on the rebound against St Mary's is legitimately the worst call I have ever seen. EDIT: blatant shove in the back by Arizona guy. Foul on St. Mary's. Good grief.

What is the point of playing this game if the outcome is already decided?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
St Mary's robbed again tonight - blatant push in the back and ref calls it the other way
Zona has been over the back so many times
If St Mary's hit a few of their 3's - its good bye Zona
St Mary's may not be in a P5 but boy are they a good disciplined team
Not a fan of Miller at all - Pitt POS

Reaction Score
I think college refs are excellent actually, I just think there is favoritism towards the big conference, probably because all the refs want to work big conference games. You don't have these problems in P5 vs. P5 games like you do in P5 vs. non-P5 games. It is not a coincidence.

You clearly watch a lot of hoops. How can you think college officiating is good? I guess we will just agree to disagree but this blows my mind.

Reaction Score
No one with a functioning pair of eyes could say St Mary's got a fair shake tonight. Any chance of winning was taken out of their hands by the officiating right to the end.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
No one with a functioning pair of eyes could say St Mary's got a fair shake tonight. Any chance of winning was taken out of their hands by the officiating right to the end.
If you watched closely - every time out, Miller was barking at and had the ear of 2 officials and they werr paying attention while one was walking to the other end of the court
Anytime a ref was near the St Mary's coach he would say something and they would look away

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You clearly watch a lot of hoops. How can you think college officiating is good? I guess we will just agree to disagree but this blows my mind.

I have watched a lot of youth and high school ball too. I think officiating basketball games is incredibly difficult, especially at the youth level where there is a foul and travel on virtually every possession. Good refs know what needs to be called and what doesn't. Bad refs don't know, but balance their calls out both ways so they are more an annoyance than a problem. The last group, the ones that play favorites, are the ones that cause the problems.

I think the officiating at the college level is excellent. Purdue/Iowa State is a perfect example. This is not an easy game to call, and the refs are doing a great job and calling it even on both ends. Compare this to the Arizona/St. Marys game.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
how many seniors and juniors does purdue have? when you have players who are confident to run the offense and make and take shots you play very very well. This game is fun to watch

Reaction Score
I have watched a lot of youth and high school ball too. I think officiating basketball games is incredibly difficult, especially at the youth level where there is a foul and travel on virtually every possession. Good refs know what needs to be called and what doesn't. Bad refs don't know, but balance their calls out both ways so they are more an annoyance than a problem. The last group, the ones that play favorites, are the ones that cause the problems.

I think the officiating at the college level is excellent. Purdue/Iowa State is a perfect example. This is not an easy game to call, and the refs are doing a great job and calling it even on both ends. Compare this to the Arizona/St. Marys game.

I never watch HS or youth. I watch a crap ton of NBA, where the officiating is excellent. Maybe this is the difference. I find the majority of officiating to be very inconsistent, even over the course of a single game. No doubt it is a difficult sport to officiate in general. It can't help when you have refs doing games for 27 nights out of 30.

Reaction Score
Florida is stomping Virginia. Maybe Virginia needs to change their approach to the game...when was the last time they made the FF? That defense might be nice in December, but eventually (in March) it fails them...

Reaction Score
how many seniors and juniors does purdue have? when you have players who are confident to run the offense and make and take shots you play very very well. This game is fun to watch

It also helps when you have the best player on the floor almost every night (a sophomore elite recruit).

Reaction Score
College officiating is a joke. It's bad across the board and some of the UConn games we had to sit through were unbearable capped off by the AAC semifinal this year. Easily the worst officiated game I've ever witnessed in any sport.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It also helps when you have the best player on the floor almost every night (a sophomore elite recruit).
i left that out bc it's obvious... i want to know how old the team is

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Not being a jerk but you sat the officiating in college is excellent BUT you say:

I don't know why Few stays at Gonzaga. He is playing 5 on 8 every 2nd and 3rd round game every tournament, where he wouldn't be having that problem if he was at Washington, for example. They non-P5 schools should threaten to bolt and hold their own tournament, because all they are doing by staying in the dance is validating the biased officiating.

The refs stopped calling fouls on Northwestern with 10 minutes left unless it was a felony. The fact that the refs missed a basket interference does not start to compensate for about 10 fouls that should have been called on Northwestern in the last 10 minutes.

What is the point of playing this game if the outcome is already decided?

Reaction Score
i left that out bc it's obvious... i want to know how old the team is

Mostly juniors. 2 big men who would be the best bigs we have had in years. One very good freshman, top 100 recruit. And of course Swanigan.

Reaction Score
Swanigan doing it all, hitting 3's, dominating the post, why did Ollie not sign this kid??

Reaction Score
St Mary's robbed again tonight - blatant push in the back and ref calls it the other way
Zona has been over the back so many times
If St Mary's hit a few of their 3's - its good bye Zona
St Mary's may not be in a P5 but boy are they a good disciplined team
Not a fan of Miller at all - Pitt POS
As bad as it was fir St Mary's, Northwestern got it way worse. Blatant missed goaltending call with about 5 minutes to go that should have been an and 1, blatant missed OB call late that went to Gonzaga and then the obvious hand thru the hoop non call that literally costs Northwestern 4 points in a 5 point game. Feel bad for them, they got jobbed and Collins isn't a totally unlikable ex-Dookie.

Reaction Score
Swanigan doing it all, hitting 3's, dominating the post, why did Ollie not sign this kid??
He was worried he wouldn't get PT because of Brimah and Nolan

Reaction Score
It's fun to watch Iowa St score in bunches in the tournament when the team they are coming back against isn't UConn. The last 10 minutes at the Garden were like torture...until Neils buried them with that late 3.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom