The Official Tourney Thread | Page 17 | The Boneyard

The Official Tourney Thread

Reaction Score
Horrible foul call on #22 SM. Refs are terrible

This is the worst officiated tournament I've ever seen. If they're getting 1/2 the calls right it's a stretch. That was a game changing phantom foul. But I've lost count of all the phony calls.

Reaction Score
Xavier is a really good team who lost their PG in January - if he was still playing, they would have been top 10 - easy
Xavier and Butler are probably the most disciplined teams on both sides of the ball in the tourney

Their PG will be a 1st rounder at one point. And Myles Davis left after a few games. He scored double digits 2 years in a row. We recruited this kid what felt like 9 years ago. Mack is just a helluva coach. He squeezes everything he can out of each individual. Bloomfield product Tyrique Jones had a nice game with 13 points. He hasn't been a huge impact throughout the season but it pains me to see undersized bigs who "weren't good enough" for UCONN to excel during the tournament.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Zags lucky it was Northwestern as their 2nd round opponent and not a program that's been there like Wisconsin or they'd probably have been toast. The last 10 mins were their usual deer in headlight postseason looks.

I don't know why Few stays at Gonzaga. He is playing 5 on 8 every 2nd and 3rd round game every tournament, where he wouldn't be having that problem if he was at Washington, for example. They non-P5 schools should threaten to bolt and hold their own tournament, because all they are doing by staying in the dance is validating the biased officiating.

The refs stopped calling fouls on Northwestern with 10 minutes left unless it was a felony. The fact that the refs missed a basket interference does not start to compensate for about 10 fouls that should have been called on Northwestern in the last 10 minutes.

Reaction Score
the Aussie is good for the Gaels

Which one?

Joking, obviously you mean Landale. Stud, and only a JR. But half their rotation are Aussies. Quite the connect Bennett has. Delly and Patty Mills also starred at St. Marys.

Reaction Score
They non-P5 schools should threaten to bolt and hold their own tournament, because all they are doing by staying in the dance is validating the biased officiating.

This can not be a real idea.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This foul call on St. Mary's is another example of the insane bias. They gave Arizona an and-1 on a play that should have resulted in the at least a Flagrant 2 on Arizona.

Reaction Score
I don't know why Few stays at Gonzaga. He is playing 5 on 8 every 2nd and 3rd round game every tournament, where he wouldn't be having that problem if he was at Washington, for example. They non-P5 schools should threaten to bolt and hold their own tournament, because all they are doing by staying in the dance is validating the biased officiating.

The refs stopped calling fouls on Northwestern with 10 minutes left unless it was a felony. The fact that the refs missed a basket interference does not start to compensate for about 10 fouls that should have been called on Northwestern in the last 10 minutes.
Bwahahaha.

Reaction Score
No way does St Mary's get to challenge shot from behind and not get whistled. AZ over the back no problem. That should do it for them. Too bad.

Reaction Score
You are right, the non-P5 should just quietly take this until they are completely irrelevant. That is a much better plan.

Thank you. It clearly is. What is the ideal outcome in your scenario? A crappy, tier 2 tournament that can be played on FS1 for hundreds of people to watch?

I do agree that small schools get slighted in seeding (just look at Wichita) but there is no conspiracy to officiate in favor of big schools. College refs are simply incompetent. Very, very incompetent. And for arguments sake, wouldn't it be beneficial to have more upsets over the 1st weekend? No one wants to see a Butler play in the Final 4, but no one likes to see the 1st weekend go chalk either.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
virginia is painful to watch, talk about bad offense

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Thank you. It clearly is. What is the ideal outcome in your scenario? A crappy, tier 2 tournament that can be played on FS1 for hundreds of people to watch?

I do agree that small schools get slighted in seeding (just look at Wichita) but there is no conspiracy to officiate in favor of big schools. College refs are simply incompetent. Very, very incompetent. And for arguments sake, wouldn't it be beneficial to have more upsets over the 1st weekend? No one wants to see a Butler play in the Final 4, but no one likes to see the 1st weekend go chalk either.

I think college refs are excellent actually, I just think there is favoritism towards the big conference, probably because all the refs want to work big conference games. You don't have these problems in P5 vs. P5 games like you do in P5 vs. non-P5 games. It is not a coincidence.

Reaction Score
Some of the ACC hype is based on the record in the past couple of tournaments, which is, I believe, 38-12 (in 2015 and 2016 together).

I think probably this year's UVA and ND teams were not as good as in the past couple of years. FSU was seriously over-seeded.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom