The Official Tourney Thread | Page 19 | The Boneyard

The Official Tourney Thread

Reaction Score
Painter maybe waited too long to put Swanigan in. Finally an exciting game, Swanigan is a beast.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
As bad as it was fir St Mary's, Northwestern got it way worse. Blatant missed goaltending call with about 5 minutes to go that should have been an and 1, blatant missed OB call late that went to Gonzaga and then the obvious hand thru the hoop non call that literally costs Northwestern 4 points in a 5 point game. Feel bad for them, they got jobbed and Collins isn't a totally unlikable ex-Dookie.

If you think Northwestern got jobbed by the officials tonight, then you should rewatch the second half. Northwestern was slapping and grabbing on defense on every possession with impunity, and was hurling themselves into defenders on the other end. The refs clearly missed the goaltending call, but that is one call. Collins should have been tossed about halfway through the second half for the torrent of abuse he was directing at the officials.

I can not recall a college team where every single player argued every single call with the officials like Northwestern did tonight. The refs could have very reasonably called half a dozen technical fouls on Northwestern tonight. I would frankly be embarrassed if a UConn team ever barked at the refs like Northwestern did.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Not being a jerk but you sat the officiating in college is excellent BUT you say:

I don't know why Few stays at Gonzaga. He is playing 5 on 8 every 2nd and 3rd round game every tournament, where he wouldn't be having that problem if he was at Washington, for example. They non-P5 schools should threaten to bolt and hold their own tournament, because all they are doing by staying in the dance is validating the biased officiating.

The refs stopped calling fouls on Northwestern with 10 minutes left unless it was a felony. The fact that the refs missed a basket interference does not start to compensate for about 10 fouls that should have been called on Northwestern in the last 10 minutes.

What is the point of playing this game if the outcome is already decided?

That is my whole point. The refs aren't making the "mistakes" they were making in the Gonzaga or St. Mary's games because of incompetence. They were doing it deliberately. It is not incompetence when 90% of the bad calls break to the P5 team any time a P5 finds themselves in trouble in the tournament.

I will point out the Iowa State/Purdue game as an example. This is a physical game that is challenging to officiate, and the refs are doing a great job.

Reaction Score
I only started watching like 20 minutes ago but this has been an incredible game. Every time I feel that it's inevitable that ISU is going to win, Purdue comes up with a big play.

Reaction Score
That is my whole point. The refs aren't making the "mistakes" they were making in the Gonzaga or St. Mary's games because of incompetence. They were doing it deliberately. It is not incompetence when 90% of the bad calls break to the P5 team any time a P5 finds themselves in trouble in the tournament.

I will point out the Iowa State/Purdue game as an example. This is a physical game that is challenging to officiate, and the refs are doing a great job.
I have no idea what you were watching, it Northwestern got absolutely SCREWED on three very blatant, very big calls late in that game. Calls that replay showed were not even close and all directly led to either Gonzaga points or points not going to Northwestern that should have. Gonzaga absolutely got the best of the reffing in that game and it's not even debatable.

Reaction Score
If you think Northwestern got jobbed by the officials tonight, then you should rewatch the second half. Northwestern was slapping and grabbing on defense on every possession with impunity, and was hurling themselves into defenders on the other end. The refs clearly missed the goaltending call, but that is one call. Collins should have been tossed about halfway through the second half for the torrent of abuse he was directing at the officials.

I can not recall a college team where every single player argued every single call with the officials like Northwestern did tonight. The refs could have very reasonably called half a dozen technical fouls on Northwestern tonight. I would frankly be embarrassed if a UConn team ever barked at the refs like Northwestern did.
I guess life is fun when you make up your own reality. Sadly, that is not what actually happened. I had to laugh when I read "very reasonably called half a dozen technical fouls on Northwestern" and "Collins should have been tossed about halfway through the second half". Too bad for you that is not what actually happened.

Reaction Score
I guess life is fun when you make up your own reality. Sadly, that is not what actually happened. I had to laugh when I read "very reasonably called half a dozen technical fouls on Northwestern" and "Collins should have been tossed about halfway through the second half". Too bad for you that is not what actually happened.
This guy must have had $$ on Gonzaga or is a Gonzaga alum. There are always 50/50 calls in every game, but these refs missed three totally blatant calls against Gonzaga at critical junctures in the game. The missed hand thru the hoop call was just awful and directly led to a 4 point swing in a 5 point game.

Reaction Score
I'm sure this ref discussion is fascinating but there is actually a really good game on right now.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

You lose the argument when your first response is a personal attack.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Why did Swanigan bring the ball down so low to dunk it? And why bring it so far behind him? Swanigan is athletic enough that he should just go straight up and a simple dunk, or go old school and use his body to protect a layup. He was looking for the crowd pleaser with that windup.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Purdue showed a lot of mental toughness at the end of that game. Most teams cave completely when they get tied up after leading by 19. Nice work by Painter.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This guy must have had $$ on Gonzaga or is a Gonzaga alum. There are always 50/50 calls in every game, but these refs missed three totally blatant calls against Gonzaga at critical junctures in the game. The missed hand thru the hoop call was just awful and directly led to a 4 point swing in a 5 point game.

What were the 3 missed calls?

Reaction Score
Why did Swanigan bring the ball down so low to dunk it? And why bring it so far behind him? Swanigan is athletic enough that he should just go straight up and a simple dunk, or go old school and use his body to protect a layup. He was looking for the crowd pleaser with that windup.
He thought there was nobody else around. Looked like a player going for a routine dunk when they are wide open.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Zach Collins reminds me of a young Kevin McHale except 2 inches taller and 15 or 20 pounds heavier. Great court demeanor for a Freshman also. So impressive.

Reaction Score
What were the 3 missed calls?
1. Missed a goaltending call on a foul that should have been an and-1
2. Ball went out off Gonzaga player w less than 5 min to go, yet they gave the ball to Gonzaga
3. Hand through the hoop non-call

Clearly you were not watching if you missed those three obvious terrible calls

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I think Michigan has a real shot today. UNC and Duke should roll.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
1. Missed a goaltending call on a foul that should have been an and-1
2. Ball went out off Gonzaga player w less than 5 min to go, yet they gave the ball to Gonzaga
3. Hand through the hoop non-call

Clearly you were not watching if you missed those three obvious terrible calls

1 and 3 are the same play, and it wasn't a foul. Is this all you got?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom