The Official Mets 2021 Thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

The Official Mets 2021 Thread

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The only part I can't agree with is the giving up and not buying. This isn't the Wilpon Mets anymore where you find a hole or 2 on the team and just say oh well we'll try again next year. That was what annoyed me most all those years, they'd half ass every attempt at competing
I hear you, but buying makes a lot more sense with a healthy de Grom and a healthy Lindor. If neither is healthy, what are we buying? Before the break the thought was that we needed offense, and the talk was renting a Bryant or even Baez. Now it looks like we need pitching and defense, too. That's a big ask.

I mean, it has to be directly related to the amount of pitches 100+ mph he throws, right? Mechanically he’s tight. The human arm just wasn’t designed to throw a ball that fast that much, right?
That's what I'm thinking. I love the guy, but unless he learns how to Maddux his way through without all that overpowering speed, I'm not so sure I'd be thinking about re-signing him because he's going to command a huge payday and I just don't think any human body can keep this up.

Reaction Score
I hear you, but buying makes a lot more sense with a healthy de Grom and a healthy Lindor. If neither is healthy, what are we buying? Before the break the thought was that we needed offense, and the talk was renting a Bryant or even Baez. Now it looks like we need pitching and defense, too. That's a big ask.
deGrom is the wild card because who knows how serious the injury is, but you're buying for the playoffs. With no additions the division will be a close race. If you add Bryant I think they run away with the division and then come September you're adding Lindor, Syndergaard, Carrasco to a great team. I'll take my chances with deGrom, Carrasco, Stroman, Walker against any team in a 5/7 game series

Curiouser
Reaction Score
deGrom is the wild card because who knows how serious the injury is, but you're buying for the playoffs. With no additions the division will be a close race. If you add Bryant I think they run away with the division and then come September you're adding Lindor, Syndergaard, Carrasco to a great team. I'll take my chances with deGrom, Carrasco, Stroman, Walker against any team in a 5/7 game series
deGrom scares me most of all, but I have zero expectations of Syndergaard contributing anything meaningful this season; and I don’t trust Stroman down the stretch, either.

deGrom and Lindor are the two most valuable players on this team and there is no getting around the fact that this has been a devastating week for a team that was already dealing with serious injuries to half of its starting roster. Losing these guys after getting Davis and Conforto back is a major net loss where we can least afford it.

Reaction Score
deGrom scares me most of all, but I have zero expectations of Syndergaard contributing anything meaningful this season; and I don’t trust Stroman down the stretch, either.

deGrom and Lindor are the two most valuable players on this team and there is no getting around the fact that this has been a devastating week for a team that was already dealing with serious injuries to half of its starting roster. Losing these guys after getting Davis and Conforto back is a major net loss where we can least afford it.
I don't expect anything from Syndergaard either, a few innings out of the bullpen in September is the most I can realistically expect. Curious why you say that about Stroman though, he's been great for them and I see no reason why that would change

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't expect anything from Syndergaard either, a few innings out of the bullpen in September is the most I can realistically expect. Curious why you say that about Stroman though, he's been great for them and I see no reason why that would change
He’s too mercurial imo. Once he gets in a funk it feels like he falls apart quickly. I think he has what I call “LMS,” or “Little Man Syndrome.” He spends a lot of energy trying to be five inches taller.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
hmmm, i seem to recall a post aboot ny's A team being the onliest team in mlb that blew some late inning pitching stat. meh, stuff happens. i also well recall some posts making fun of the the 77-53 greatest pitcher in the history of 'wait, whut?,' and specifically stating 'this guy needs a time-out, now.'
it's always fun to speculate on which event triggers the annual 'metscellaneous miscues into mishigoss.' some people, ain't no dang good...

mr saturday night/111-59? now 10-4/2.63/158k, much younger, and decidedly not broken. in spite of the various curveballs that life can throw, yet with months to go in the season, his squad is still very much in it, tho they should reasonably expect a blizzard in july, or mebbe a case or three of beri-beri, or hotdog fingeritis, to break out any day now. so what, stuff happens.

(editorial insults aside, i forgot just how good this tune is. that guy has a lot of most excellant beats.)

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Train wreck. Metsiest meltdown ever.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not wasting the afternoon on this crap. Guess I’ll get a workout in today after all.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Train wreck. Metsiest meltdown ever.
Well, Bucs already won the season series, it's only the first inning, are playing a less than ideal "Sunday lineup", haven't swept anyone yet this year, and have blown six run leads themselves, so Mets are by no means out of this.

But yeah, that was like 3x worse than when David Cone held onto the ball and argued with the 1st base ump while runners kept scoring.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Well, Bucs already won the season series, it's only the first inning, are playing a less than ideal "Sunday lineup", haven't swept anyone yet this year, and have blown six run leads themselves, so Mets are by no means out of this.

But yeah, that was like 3x worse than when David Cone held onto the ball and argued with the 1st base ump while runners kept scoring.
Mets are out of the game. They look totally clueless, resigned and shellshocked.

Yesterday and today have all the hallmarks of a turning point from which I don’t if we will recover. Feels like the same ol’ Mets all of a sudden.

We can’t have nice things.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Mets are out of the game. They look totally clueless, resigned and shellshocked.

Yesterday and today have all the hallmarks of a turning point from which I don’t if we will recover. Feels like the same ol’ Mets all of a sudden.

Blame Deepster.

And just as I typed that... 6-4.

Reaction Score

To me yesterday felt way more like the Padres disaster from 2015 that turned the whole season around. Traded for Cespedes the next day and then swept the Nationals to start their run

Reaction Score
To me yesterday felt way more like the Padres disaster from 2015 that turned the whole season around. Traded for Cespedes the next day and then swept the Nationals to start their run
I’ve said a few times in this thread this team feels like 2015. Of course that was me being confident they can win the division. Now it feels like they are dead in the water which is exactly how I felt in 2015 after the non-trade and that Padres game.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not wasting the afternoon on this crap. Guess I’ll get a workout in today after all.

Blame Deepster.

And just as I typed that... 6-4.

I’ve said a few times in this thread this team feels like 2015. Of course that was me being confident they can win the division. Now it feels like they are dead in the water which is exactly how I felt in 2015 after the non-trade and that Padres game.
I was kinda hoping for a reverse jinx. We’ll see. At least I got a workout in; now I think I need to leave the game off.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
note: my harangue of things mets should not be confused with hate. i do not hate the mets, knicks, jets, or duke, carolina, or a million other things, tho, and for similar reasons, i really have no space for boeheim, since he's won a grand total of one (same as ko), yet i've been bombarded my entire life by nonstop ny media for his wonderfulness. same with the decades long nyc nonsense aboot 'this is the year!' for team x. the record is clear-those ny teams stink, and have for decades, yet every season the nyc media hype cranks up to overdrive ('shorty sam will be the best qb ever! randle is the nba mvp! this is the johnnies year! why play the games? the nets are the greatest alltime!'), while diminishing, dismissing, and demeaning all others. they just missed, for example, the decades of brady winning, like every year, focusing instead on well, more hate.
the arrogance is based on nothing. zero. offputting, and more likely a reason for an average fan of a game to turn from nonvested to actively motivated against those teams. at least with the yanks and gmen, the 'haters' have some championships to give them fuel for their blind rage. the mets have new ownership, with the seeming ability to spend and try to deliver to their fans something, anything. my last visit to citi was to watch wheeler, who i thought had the goods, and expected the team to re-sign the now 31 year old. they didn't, instead signing a shortstop with aboot 7 years of at bats for the grand total of 450 rbi's, and less than 1000 hits, who, like that scene from the godfather, became the subject of media perversion as to his hofness. gleyber, eg, has aboot half as many rbis in 2000 less ab's. do the math.
this used to be a recurrent theme for ol cb when peanuts began:
01095e2637ad722adb73c7c926bec05b.jpg

mebbe ol jake will make it to 100 wins, someday. on the udder hand, why wait?
just put him in the hof today, and make the parade plans.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Amazin’!

Y’all can thank me for the reverse jinx; I didn’t turn the game back on and just followed on the phone.

Bring on Bryant!

Reaction Score
Amazin’!

Y’all can thank me for the reverse jinx; I didn’t turn the game back on and just followed on the phone.

Bring on Bryant!
I still like taking Donaldson if we can get Berrios just because that fortifies the rotation for next year. Basically if we took cano and got Diaz and gave up nothing of significance I wouldn’t care about that trade.

Reaction Score
I still like taking Donaldson if we can get Berrios just because that fortifies the rotation for next year. Basically if we took cano and got Diaz and gave up nothing of significance I wouldn’t care about that trade.
We'll see if it's just a negotiating ploy to try and get more but the Twins have said they're not moving Berrios

Reaction Score
We'll see if it's just a negotiating ploy to try and get more but the Twins have said they're not moving Berrios
If they aren’t going to keep him they should trade him now given he only has one more year left. I also obviously no idea what they are actually thinking but it just seems to make sense to take on a “bad” contract to get an asset.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Well, that was unfortunate. The plan was for the Mets to leave town with Richard Rodriguez in exchange for a couple AA/A guys.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The Mets blew two separate 5+ run leads to the Pirates this year, so it was nice to get one of those back.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
After successfully banning myself from watching the rest of the game yesterday, I did watch all of the post-game. I liked what I heard from Conforto and from Walker. Rojas was Rojas. But I was troubled by Jake. I'm getting the Icarus feeling again. He does not look confident or optimistic.

There was a line in the recent NYT article that said something like "He's the starter who pitches like a closer." Made me ponder if he could make that switch. I don't see any way that it's humanly possible for him to continue to throw as hard as he does and expect to take the mound every fifth day for six innings.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom