The Official 2024 NY Mets Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

The Official 2024 NY Mets Thread

Reaction Score
Trumpet. Shitcan him to bullpen by committee. Stanek, Maton, Garrett, even Megill for heaven’s sake.
Diaz sucked today, but he's been so overworked just to get us to this point so it's hard to blame him. He's covered up for a very mediocre bullpen

Reaction Score
Diaz sucked today, but he's been so overworked just to get us to this point so it's hard to blame him. He's covered up for a very mediocre bullpen
Agree with this. He threw 100 pitches over 3 outings in 5 days. He’s giving us everything he’s got.

Reaction Score
Not concerned. Both games they thought they had us and we punched them in the nose. Now we’re home for 2.

Reaction Score
I disagreed with our strategy (either from the dug out or from Diaz) to pitch around Harper and basically unintentionally/intentionally walk him.

We were up 4-3 1 out no one on. If he hits a jack, oh well. Sucks but it’s still tied and then no one is on base. Instead we walk on 4 non competitive pitches and now the leading run comes up. I just don’t like that at all. Crowd gets into it and pressure builds with guys on base.

Diaz is not what he was, but he’s also 2 years older and coming off a major injury. Probably never will be that guy again. When he locates he’s still untouchable. But he gets erratic. Too many 3-2 counts and the balls he throws often aren’t competitive pitches. Bit us last night.

But hey, we split up there. Let’s come home to a rocking Citi field and finish the job! We have Manaea and Quintana due up. Haven’t played at home in 11 games, this team has given us a hell of a ride, the crowd should be bananas!

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Diaz is no longer the closer he was in '22.
He is no longer Mariano-Lite and fireballer of ‘22. I don’t buy he’s tired or overpitched. He is more like Benitez now. But we’re playing with house money now in our house. Let’s sweep 2, do not wanna face Wheeler again.

Reaction Score
He is no longer Mariano-Lite and fireballer of ‘22. I don’t buy he’s tired or overpitched. He is more like Benitez now. But we’re playing with house money now in our house. Let’s sweep 2, do not wanna face Wheeler again.
He is still only 30. And he threw 100 pitches over a 5 day period. I am NOT ready to lump him in with Armando Benitez....god, my therapist just got me over Benitez, I can't go back there right now.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
He is still only 30. And he threw 100 pitches over a 5 day period. I am NOT ready to lump him in with Armando Benitez....god, my therapist just got me over Benitez, I can't go back there right now.
Closers are volatile. You guys probably don't care one bit, but going into this season, the supposed strength of my Pirates was its pen. And that pen blew almost 30 games this year, led by our two-time All Star closer David Bednar. For all the complaints from Mets and Yankees fans about your closers, out of 169 qualified relievers in 2024, Holmes was 30th with a 3.14 ERA and 1.2 fWAR, Diaz was 43rd with a 3.52 ERA and 1.1 fWAR, and Bednar was 151st with a 5.77 ERA and -0.2 fWAR.

Now, we know that blown saves is more important in measuring closers and Holmes takes that title going away with 13. But Diaz and Bednar are tied at 7, and Bednar was removed as closer near the end of the season. Nobody's really sure what happened with him, but damn, he sucked.

In 2023, all three teams were in the top 8 for least blown saves on the season. Holmes, Diaz and Bednar each had 3.

Know who was the leader in blown saves in 2023? Emmanuel Clase.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Closers are volatile. You guys probably don't care one bit, but going into this season, the supposed strength of my Pirates was its pen. And that pen blew almost 30 games this year, led by our two-time All Star closer David Bednar. For all the complaints from Mets and Yankees fans about your closers, out of 169 qualified relievers in 2024, Holmes was 30th with a 3.14 ERA and 1.2 fWAR, Diaz was 43rd with a 3.52 ERA and 1.1 fWAR, and Bednar was 151st with a 5.77 ERA and -0.2 fWAR.

Now, we know that blown saves is more important in measuring closers and Holmes takes that title going away with 13. But Diaz and Bednar are tied at 7, and Bednar was removed as closer near the end of the season. Nobody's really sure what happened with him, but damn, he sucked.

In 2023, all three teams were in the top 8 for least blown saves on the season. Holmes, Diaz and Bednar each had 3.

Know who was the leader in blown saves in 2023? Emmanuel Clase.
Thank you for your interest in the 2024 Mets Thread, Mr. Steve Blass.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Thank you for your interest in the 2024 Mets Thread, Mr. Steve Blass.
I probably know more Mets history from 1962-2002 than you, Mr. Fat Jack Fisher.

Do you even know who Emmanuel Clase is?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom