The Official 2024 NY Mets Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

The Official 2024 NY Mets Thread

Reaction Score
WOW!

I haven't checked in on this thread in a minute - so catch up time.

Game 2 - hindsight I think we should have left Manaea in the game for one more inning. His pitch count wasn't that high and our bull pen is short on arms you actually trust. Maton is fine, but when he didn't have it there was no plan B. Also Pete tripping over his own bat cost us a run in that early inning and another time we wasted a situation with a runner on 2nd and no outs. I think it was Marte, Taylor struck out and couldn't move him over. Alvarez and Lindor weren't able to get the hit to knock him in.

Game 3 - Quintana was great! I don't think he had his best stuff, he gave up a lot of hard contact and only had 1 inning where he didn't allow a baserunner - his last, but man he delivered, never let it snowball on him. Butto is the guy I trust the most out of the pen right now and he went out there and gave up back to back homers against a dude batting .197 and Frelick! Unreal! Diaz was shaky with control, Pete freaking drops a foul ball that would have got us out of an inning. Going into the 9th we had 2 hits...both from Lindor. Again wasted chances, Lindor with a lead off double to start the game and can't do anything with Vientos, Nimmo and Pete following. We looked lost at the plate all night. Totally cool with Pete walking after the season, just complete shrinkage to end the season for him....

...then Pete flipped the script as Gary would say. Unbelievable! Sitting there debating 3 days ago where Lindor's homer fits in Mets' lore and now Pete delivers THAT! Man! From dead in the water to this! Pay that man his money! What a moment for Pete and the team in general. And Lindor just continues to rise up the charts of all time Mets. Peterson coming in and getting it done in a spot he's not accustomed to as well.

I'll give it to Stearns too. Mendoza's hire looks like a good one. Iglesias, Bader, Taylor, Severino, Manaea - he's made some nice under the radar moves that have shaped this team. What a time to be a Met fan! I'm a NC State fan and this has vibes of what I just witnessed in March with the ACC title run and run to the Final Four. Why not us?!

Reaction Score
So, I woke up this morning and over my coffee thought, the Mets have been in the postseason 11 times. I am 57, I started following them in 1979. So I missed 1969 and 1973. So they've made it 9 times in the 48 years I've been watching them. Since losing the WS in 2015, they lost 2 WC rounds (1 game in 2016, 2-1 in 2022).

Last night and this last week have been a really bright spot in a long, long period of watching other teams play October baseball. What a friggin' ride.

LFGM!!!!

Reaction Score
So, I woke up this morning and over my coffee thought, the Mets have been in the postseason 11 times. I am 57, I started following them in 1979. So I missed 1969 and 1973. So they've made it 9 times in the 48 years I've been watching them. Since losing the WS in 2015, they lost 2 WC rounds (1 game in 2016, 2-1 in 2022).

Last night and this last week have been a really bright spot in a long, long period of watching other teams play October baseball. What a friggin' ride.

LFGM!!!!
It's kinda sad, but I've thought about similar things. I was 2 when they won it all in 86, so I have no memory of that. My earliest Mets memories are early 90s with Howard Johnson, Greg Jefferies, Dave Magadan, Vince Coleman, Doc Gooden, David Cone, Kevin Elster...those are sort of the first Mets teams I remember. I honestly don't know how I became a Mets fan. I grew up in NC, I have no connection to Queens or New York. We didn't have a team here and baseball was my favorite sport, everyone I knew around here were Braves fans or Yankees fans and the rebel in me wanted to go against the grain and I landed on the Mets. Maybe the uniforms lured me in. I had a big HoJo poster in my room and Todd Hundley became my favorite player.

It's been a sad existence for the most part. But the late 90's early 2000's Mets with Ventura, Ordonez, Alfonzo, Piazza - those were some great memories. Then Reyes and Wright the home grown talent was super exciting but also I remember that core mostly as choking. Choking away the 7 game lead with 17 to play in the division with the Phillies. Beltran taking strike 3 against the Cards after a fantastic catch by Chavez. Then we had the WS run where we lost to the Royals with the great young pitching and Murph morphing into Babe Ruth for a stretch. And most recently the 101 win season only to lose the division late and Max getting rocked against SD and us shown the door so quickly.

The highs are high. Todd Pratt's homer in 99, Ventura's grand slam single, Benny Agbayani's walk off, Chavez's catch... The Mets have been a lot of fun at times, but it's been a painful existence. The promise of these stellar rotations that have crumbled (first generation K Pulsipher, Isringhausen, Paul Wilson and then second with Harvey, DeGrom, Thor, Matz and Wheeler). Felt like we were set for multi year runs and it just didn't ever materialize.

This has been one of the best few weeks of my fanhood. This team was self proclaimed as rebuilding this year - that's what makes this even more special. No one expected this. What a ride indeed!

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score

LFGM!!!!
I’m a few years older. (Alum86, you can do the math)
I don’t remember ‘69 but ‘73 was glorious. Almost took out the swinging A‘s of Reggie, Catfish, et al After a 82-79 regular season. ‘86 we steamrolled and that Bosox series was fantastic.
(Lenny’s 1st inning lead off HR game 3 was clutch. Set the comeback tone.)
The Yankee and Royals series were duds, but we got there. I had to wear a Yankee sweater at work after losing a bet.
All that said, yes, Petey came up big last night, FINALLY. I am his biggest critic but am ecstatic to eat my words. Now beat those a.hole Phil’s and their douchey fans.

Double Philly win Saturday, for us. Temple and Phils. I’ll be the one in the blue Mets Jersey at the Rent staring down at my phone at 4 pm. LOL

Reaction Score
I’m a few years older. (Alum86, you can do the math)
I don’t remember ‘69 but ‘73 was glorious. Almost took out the swinging A‘s of Reggie, Catfish, et al After a 82-79 regular season. ‘86 we steamrolled and that Bosox series was fantastic.
(Lenny’s 1st inning lead off HR game 3 was clutch. Set the comeback tone.)
The Yankee and Royals series were duds, but we got there. I had to wear a Yankee sweater at work after losing a bet.
All that said, yes, Petey came up big last night, FINALLY. I am his biggest critic but am ecstatic to eat my words. Now beat those a.hole Phil’s and their douchey fans.

Double Philly win Saturday, for us. Temple and Phils. I’ll be the one in the blue Mets Jersey at the Rent staring down at my phone at 4 pm. LOL
grew up in Queens, 3 miles from Shea, was 11 in '69, got upper deck tix using Borden's milk coupons, used to bike over to explore the closed pavilions of the '64 World's Fair - great to have excitement after too many lean years!!!

Reaction Score

You guys might like this. The link above is from the week they traded for Cespedes and swept the Nats. Skip to the 38:20 mark.

After Murphy's HR, I'm the guy in the tie dye t-shirt with both hands raised.

Reaction Score

You guys might like this. The link above is from the week they traded for Cespedes and swept the Nats. Skip to the 38:20 mark.

Can’t wait for the documentary about this Fall :)

As the rare southern Mets fan, I have a question for yall. Who do you consider the Mets biggest rival? Who is the team you either most enjoy beating or it burns the most when we lose? Or another way of looking at it is who could you never pull for in the WS when the Mets aren’t there?

For me it’s the Atlanta Braves above all else. I grew up around, and still am surrounded by Braves fans. They’ve owned us over the years and while beating the Yankees is fun and beating the Phillies is fun - nothing brings me more joy than winning at the expense of the Braves. I have a hunch that it’s different if you live up north and have more interactions with yankee or Philly fans but am curious if there is a consensus here.

Reaction Score

paid far too much to go to Game 5 of the 2015 WS. Stadium was rocking for 8 innings as CT's Matt Harvey dominated with 9 Ks. painful ride home.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
WOW! Talk about a curve ball...or ghost fork!

So I wonder what the plan will be, surely we aren't expecting him to give us 100 pitches. Senga as the opener and hand it off to Peterson or MeGill?
Spot on.
Peterson’s stint yesterday was like an off day warm up and he was ready for gm 1
- So if Senga goes, my guess he’s on a short leash, and then to Peterson / Megill like you say.

Reaction Score
What a huge surprise. The story book continues. And credit to Senga for continuing to work hard.

Reaction Score
My guess is they try to get 2 innings out of Senga and then piece together another 4 from Megill and Peterson depending on wherr Harper and Schwarber are at in terms of coming up

Reaction Score
My guess is they try to get 2 innings out of Senga and then piece together another 4 from Megill and Peterson depending on wherr Harper and Schwarber are at in terms of coming up
Senga said he’s there for 10 pitches or 200 pitches. Whatever they need.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I also want to give this thread a high five. I wish we could watch the games together. I don’t hang out with ANYONE who’s a Mets fan and you’re my people.
I have fresh batteries in my old school transistor radio, hope I can get 880 am in Section 241. I'll climb to the top of the Rent in the southwest corner sections if needed to get better reception. Can't imagine watching on my phone during a football game, but its an option if the game is tight in the late innings. LGFM, thinking I need to pick up a Playoff Pumpkin (Connecticut grown, of course) on the trek up to East Hartford today!

Reaction Score
I have a friend who’s a Phils fan and at the game and he was texting me about Wheeler being on tonight and I said “don’t let the Mets stay close and get wheeler out” and then the floodgates opened.

I hope he paid a grand a seat tonight! Ha!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom