The Official 2023 New York Jets thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Official 2023 New York Jets thread

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Well...that was an interesting first pick. When I heard they swapped to 15 from 13 in the Rodgers trade, I didn't think it was a big deal. It was. They were shut out from the top OTs. McDonald seems like a reach...that might have been there in the second round.

You gotta think they have a plan with all those DEs. Does it mean they release Lawson for cap space? I don't know...but this pick seems odd.

Reaction Score
Well...that was an interesting first pick. When I heard they swapped to 15 from 13 in the Rodgers trade, I didn't think it was a big deal. It was. They were shut out from the top OTs. McDonald seems like a reach...that might have been there in the second round.

You gotta think they have a plan with all those DEs. Does it mean they release Lawson for cap space? I don't know...but this pick seems odd.
I feel like they definitely got hoodwinked there and panicked. McDonald is a situational player, not every down that you DEFINITELY don't need as much as another OL piece to protect a guy that's getting almost 100m next season (salary and deferred money). And we have no backup QB.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I feel like they definitely got hoodwinked there and panicked. McDonald is a situational player, not every down that you DEFINITELY don't need as much as another OL piece to protect a guy that's getting almost 100m next season (salary and deferred money). And we have no backup QB.
Well...I like picking up a center in round two. I still worry they need another OT...but since AVT is flexible, maybe they are ok.

I am happy Douglas didn't draft another DE...lol.

And...I think they are reworking the contract...it won't be $100mm next year.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Ok...this thread has almost drifted off the first page, so I figured it needed a fresh post.

Couple recent Jet notes...they are seriously being considered for Hard Knocks. I can't see how this is a good thing for the team...but I would watch every minute. If they do get picked, I hope it isn't too much of a distraction.

Hopkins and Cook are available...should the Jets be interested? Hopkins has a lot of talent...and would make the WR crew formidable...but I don't think he is a Saleh guy. He has a rep for not liking to practice. Cook is more attractive. It's hard to imagine Hall will be ready on day 1. It feels like a good fit.

I don't think either is essential....but I am sure Rodgers would like more weapons to work with.

Reaction Score
Ok...this thread has almost drifted off the first page, so I figured it needed a fresh post.

Couple recent Jet notes...they are seriously being considered for Hard Knocks. I can't see how this is a good thing for the team...but I would watch every minute. If they do get picked, I hope it isn't too much of a distraction.

Hopkins and Cook are available...should the Jets be interested? Hopkins has a lot of talent...and would make the WR crew formidable...but I don't think he is a Saleh guy. He has a rep for not liking to practice. Cook is more attractive. It's hard to imagine Hall will be ready on day 1. It feels like a good fit.

I don't think either is essential....but I am sure Rodgers would like more weapons to work with.
I am not sure why everyone feels like Hard Knocks is a bad thing. I feel like the season they were on with Rex was a good thing for them.

No interest at all in Hopkins. Houston cut him loose on a lopsided trade and Arizona was a flop. I think he’s got poor habits and has lost his edge.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
So...Hard Knocks with the Jets is happening. It will be interesting to see if Rodgers is a big part of this, or will he just focus on football. My guess is he will enjoy the spotlight and be a focus of the show.

But..I also think he is enough of a pro that it won't be a distraction.

Reaction Score
I think that, at this point, the "distraction" of being on a show like this is overblown. This type of hypercoverage has been around long enough and constant instant social media reporting is just part of every day in sports. I'm not worried about it.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I have to admit...Rodgers start with the Jets has been perfect. And...glad to hear yesterday his comment about this being a few years thing. His leadership... including contract restructuring has been amazing.

Of course it's the Jets... and something will go wrong. But as a guy who preferred Carr over Rodgers...I am fully onboard with ignoring his quirkyness and embracing every thing else he brings. My biggest concern was that he was a one and done and it wasn't worth it for what they had to give up. If it's two...even three years? It was a great trade.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
How much concern should there be for the OL? Specifically the OTs?

I know Brown will be back. But it seems odd they keep flipping Mitchell and Turner between tackle spots. I would guess they will stop doing that as we get closer to the season.

I don't think they can trust Becton....so is a trade in order? Either way.... Rodgers won't tolerate these issues during the season.

Reaction Score
Not concerned “yet”. Still very early and not real game conditions. But definitely not comfortable.

Reaction Score
Nearly every team in the NFL is concerned with their OL. I assume we'll have our usual highs and lows. I have little faith in Becton, though.

I'm trying not to buy into the hype too much after the initial eps of Hard Knocks and 1JD but it's hard to ignore the energy in that building. Players and coaches on both sides of the ball are giddy. Zach really brought down the whole org. It's wild seeing someone like Mecole Hardman--who played his whole career with Mahomes--in awe and gushing to Rodgers.

Reaction Score
I did not really think of it as a possibility, but seeing Wilson with Rodgers so far, I now think he may actually mature into a QB after watching Rodgers for a few years. That would be an added bonus if we could just hand the keys of the car over when Rodgers is done. Not sure of the contract or money we'd need to offer out there to him to make that possible though...

Reaction Score
I did not really think of it as a possibility, but seeing Wilson with Rodgers so far, I now think he may actually mature into a QB after watching Rodgers for a few years. That would be an added bonus if we could just hand the keys of the car over when Rodgers is done. Not sure of the contract or money we'd need to offer out there to him to make that possible though...
That last sentence is the key. They have to make a decision after this season on his $23M 5th year, and unless Rodgers gets hurt he's not gonna play a snap this year. That's an expensive backup QB. I guess if shows enough in practice and you think Rodgers is done after 2 years you can pick up the option and then he's the starter in his 5th year. Gives you the 1 year to evaluate him before he gets a new contract

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
That last sentence is the key. They have to make a decision after this season on his $23M 5th year, and unless Rodgers gets hurt he's not gonna play a snap this year. That's an expensive backup QB. I guess if shows enough in practice and you think Rodgers is done after 2 years you can pick up the option and then he's the starter in his 5th year. Gives you the 1 year to evaluate him before he gets a new contract
There are so many variables...injuries...team success...Wilson development...other QB options...that it's almost impossible to predict how this will play out. It seems unlikely that Wilson will remain a Jet, but who knows.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Anyone else watching Hard Knocks? I have to admit... Rodgers is very likable. The team is likable.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
What do we think about the game tonight?

If it wasn't Rodgers starting...I would think the hype from this game would crush the team. I think he gives them confidence and calms them down a bit.

It feels like a low scoring game with defenses dominating. Both quarterbacks will play somewhat conservative.

I think the Jets score just enough and the Dline saves the game.

Jets 21 Bills 17.

(Now my paranoid Jets brain can also see Rodgers blowing out his knee in the first quarter and the Jets losing 41-0 just so they could be worse than the Giants...lol)

Reaction Score
When Rodgers was just a rumor, it was a 1 or 2 year deal, he was a headcase, cost lots of money, Zach Wilson was going to make his life hell.

On the day of Game 1, he's now saying he can see himself playing longer, having more fun than he has in years, he gave back a huge chunk of salary to help get better players on the roster, he is mentoring Wilson and Wilson actually looked very good in preseason.

I just hope he comes out and really leads us with some fire tonight. Vocal on the field and sidelines, pumped up visibly, ready to show the Bills what we have.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
When Rodgers was just a rumor, it was a 1 or 2 year deal, he was a headcase, cost lots of money, Zach Wilson was going to make his life hell.

On the day of Game 1, he's now saying he can see himself playing longer, having more fun than he has in years, he gave back a huge chunk of salary to help get better players on the roster, he is mentoring Wilson and Wilson actually looked very good in preseason.

I just hope he comes out and really leads us with some fire tonight. Vocal on the field and sidelines, pumped up visibly, ready to show the Bills what we have.
If I had known that Rodgers could potentially play three years, I would have been more supportive of trading for him out of the gate. I was thinking it would cost the Jets a 1 and 2 for a one year rental. 2 or 3 years makes it more palatable. I also thought he would kill their salary cap and he has been amazing at taking a pay cut.

And I had no idea he would be the leader he has been. I have been blown away with how he has embraced his role and NYC in general.

Now let's see if it translates on the field and if they can stay healthy. I think the tough schedule and adjustment period will lead to an average start. But I think they will get better every week.

Reaction Score
Bad news update for Jets fans:

They just realized the Giants offensive linemen stayed overnight and just changed into the green Jets jerseys.:eek:

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Now my paranoid Jets brain can also see Rodgers blowing out his knee in the first quarter and the Jets losing 41-0 just so they could be worse than the Giants...lol)
So it wasn't a knee...it was an ankle.

So why can the 49ers draft the last guy in the draft as QB and he is good. And the Jets draft a quarterback number 3 and number 2 and they suck.?

Sigh...at least I can watch good QB play at UConn...lol.

Reaction Score
I have reached a sadomasochistic love for the pain and suffering the Jets give me. They just keep finding new ways to torture me.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So it wasn't a knee...it was an ankle.

So why can the 49ers draft the last guy in the draft as QB and he is good. And the Jets draft a quarterback number 3 and number 2 and they suck.?

Sigh...at least I can watch good QB play at UConn...lol.
Because the Jets are a cursed franchise. If they drafted Tom Brady in round 6 he would probably have never started a game in the NFL. Wilson probably would have been good if they hadn‘t played him before he was ready. He had all the maturity of an 18 year old frat boy, but loads of physical talent.

X-Rays negative on Rodgers. So maybe he’ll be back soon.

Reaction Score
Because the Jets are a cursed franchise. If they drafted Tom Brady in round 6 he would probably have never started a game in the NFL. Wilson probably would have been good if they hadn‘t played him before he was ready. He had all the maturity of an 18 year old frat boy, but loads of physical talent.

Hopefully but they did mention possibility of Achilles injury

Reaction Score

Adam Shefter heard someone say he didn’t like “the twist of his calf” so it’s potentially an Achilles. Why would he even come out with that without knowing? Stupid

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom