The Official 2022 Mets Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

The Official 2022 Mets Thread

Reaction Score
I have no idea when to expect deGrom but it would appear that....

a) We maybe get Jake back to help soften a few of those weeks?
b) We get both of them back at the same time.

Stick a pin in today. First place in the NL East, 25-14 (.641) and 6.0 games ahead of the Phillies. Curious to see where we are when we get 1 of those 2 guys back.
I wrote that May 19th after Scherzer went out.

Still in first place in the NL East, 41-23 (.641), same exact win % but the lead went from +6 over Philly to now +4 over Atlanta (on a 14 game win streak).

This team held the line for the last month. They did more than they could have been expected to and, if not for a 14 game win streak? They probably maintain or increase a 6 game lead.

That said? They need their 1-2 guys back to inject energy back into this team right now.

Reaction Score
I wrote that May 19th after Scherzer went out.

Still in first place in the NL East, 41-23 (.641), same exact win % but the lead went from +6 over Philly to now +4 over Atlanta (on a 14 game win streak).

This team held the line for the last month. They did more than they could have been expected to and, if not for a 14 game win streak? They probably maintain or increase a 6 game lead.

That said? They need their 1-2 guys back to inject energy back into this team right now.
Agree. Have to be very very happy with this result. We had even stretched it to an almost 10+ game lead before Atlanta's hot streak. Team has had a few stinker games here-n-there (like last night), but nothing close to sustained slumps. Let's hope it can continue!

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Agree. Have to be very very happy with this result. We had even stretched it to an almost 10+ game lead before Atlanta's hot streak. Team has had a few stinker games here-n-there (like last night), but nothing close to sustained slumps. Let's hope it can continue!

We held serve on the toughest road trip of the year, then came home against two decent teams and went 5-2. Just keep this train rolling!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We held serve on the toughest road trip of the year, then came home against two decent teams and went 5-2. Just keep this train rolling!
Just keep winning series.

I am interested to see if we pick anyone up in the next month.

I am worried about Lugo not being Lugo.

I wouldn’t mind getting an upgrade at catcher.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Just keep winning series.

I am interested to see if we pick anyone up in the next month.

I am worried about Lugo not being Lugo.

I wouldn’t mind getting an upgrade at catcher.

Unfortunately I don't think that's happening. Willson Contreras is the best fit but he would cost a lot. I don't think they want to part with Baty, which is what I think it'd cost, for a rental. Alvarez is going to be our catcher starting next year.

A bullpen ace is definitely a need. Can't go into the playoffs with Drew Smith as our only non-closer that we have faith in. I do suspect that Megill will be eased back in as a bullpen arm when he does return since we have so many starters.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately I don't think that's happening. Willson Contreras is the best fit but he would cost a lot. I don't think they want to part with Baty, which is what I think it'd cost, for a rental. Alvarez is going to be our catcher starting next year.

A bullpen ace is definitely a need. Can't go into the playoffs with Drew Smith as our only non-closer that we have faith in. I do suspect that Megill will be eased back in as a bullpen arm when he does return since we have so many starters.
And Alvarez will reportedly be up by the end of the season so I don't see a trade for a catcher happening.

Agreed on another RP, can never have enough even though I do trust our backend guys

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We're clearly going to need better starting pitching to compete with the better teams.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
1655924127882blob.png

I think I hear a garbage can top being banged on . . .

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Braves aren’t going away, and we face Alcantra again on Friday, meaning another likely loss (I think it would be our first three game slide this season?).

Beginning to feel like last season again, hearing the hoof beats. Will we hold on to first place until the all-star break? Will the Braves make any moves before the trade deadline? Will we?

Max coming back strong will do a lot to make things different than last season. I’m not holding out much hope for deGrom to be a game-changer this season though.

Reaction Score
Braves aren’t going away, and we face Alcantra again on Friday, meaning another likely loss (I think it would be our first three game slide this season?).

Beginning to feel like last season again, hearing the hoof beats. Will we hold on to first place until the all-star break? Will the Braves make any moves before the trade deadline? Will we?

Max coming back strong will do a lot to make things different than last season. I’m not holding out much hope for deGrom to be a game-changer this season though.
It's nothing like last year, the Mets are a much better team. Honestly don't really get your doom and gloom, we lost 2 games to one of the best teams in the American League. The sky isn't falling

Not even a question that the Mets will make moves at the deadline, they'll probably add a couple of RPs at least and maybe a bat for the bench. I know you're always down on deGrom but he'll be back in July too and be a huge difference maker

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's nothing like last year, the Mets are a much better team. Honestly don't really get your doom and gloom, we lost 2 games to one of the best teams in the American League. The sky isn't falling

Not even a question that the Mets will make moves at the deadline, they'll probably add a couple of RPs at least and maybe a bat for the bench. I know you're always down on deGrom but he'll be back in July too and be a huge difference maker
Yes, the Mets are a much better team and I've said as much several times. The Braves are, too, though, and we are getting bit by the injury bug again, especially in the pitching ranks. It is very obvious, to me at least, that we need better pitching to compete with the best teams in the league. If Max, Jake and Tylor all come back aces, that's great; but that is very much an open question right now imo, and I am concerned about Lugo's dropoff.

There's a reason I call us the Boys of Spring. It's called history. And now that the calendar has turned to summer, things are getting tighter again. You remained Pollyanna throughout it all last season (and the season before, and before that...) and we see how that turned out, with the Mets staying pat and the Braves making moves that made a difference.

It's not doom and gloom; it's asking questions. Buck is a huge difference, as is Eppler; and so is Max. And Marte and Canha, too. But we went from up 10.5 to 4.5 now in a few weeks, with an off day today and a tough match-up on Friday. Hopefully the Giants and Dodgers will hang some Ls on the Braves to give us some more cushion.

Always down on deGrom?!? Thankfully there is a record here to put the lie to that ridiculous notion. Until last season I've been his biggest fan, but he hasn't pitched in almost a year now and I never bought the various excuses they made last season when they claimed that a half dozen or more consecutive injuries were unrelated. I said then, and still believe, that Ron Darling's analysis made more sense; i.e., they were all related and resulted from overcompensating in an attempt to protect other body parts. I have no idea what to expect from him at this point, but I think your expectation that he returns to form as one of the top pitchers in the game this season is unrealistic. We will see.

I'm interested to see the moves they make and whether they are difference-makers. I would hope that we learned something from last season's experience.

Reaction Score
Yes, the Mets are a much better team and I've said as much several times. The Braves are, too, though, and we are getting bit by the injury bug again, especially in the pitching ranks. It is very obvious, to me at least, that we need better pitching to compete with the best teams in the league. If Max, Jake and Tylor all come back aces, that's great; but that is very much an open question right now imo, and I am concerned about Lugo's dropoff.

There's a reason I call us the Boys of Spring. It's called history. And now that the calendar has turned to summer, things are getting tighter again. You remained Pollyanna throughout it all last season (and the season before, and before that...) and we see how that turned out, with the Mets staying pat and the Braves making moves that made a difference.

It's not doom and gloom; it's asking questions. Buck is a huge difference, as is Eppler; and so is Max. And Marte and Canha, too. But we went from up 10.5 to 4.5 now in a few weeks, with an off day today and a tough match-up on Friday. Hopefully the Giants and Dodgers will hang some Ls on the Braves to give us some more cushion.

Always down on deGrom?!? Thankfully there is a record here to put the lie to that ridiculous notion. Until last season I've been his biggest fan, but he hasn't pitched in almost a year now and I never bought the various excuses they made last season when they claimed that a half dozen or more consecutive injuries were unrelated. I said then, and still believe, that Ron Darling's analysis made more sense; i.e., they were all related and resulted from overcompensating in an attempt to protect other body parts. I have no idea what to expect from him at this point, but I think your expectation that he returns to form as one of the top pitchers in the game this season is unrealistic. We will see.

I'm interested to see the moves they make and whether they are difference-makers. I would hope that we learned something from last season's experience.
But the thing with the Braves is they just had their easiest stretch of the season while the Mets played their toughest, and the Mets are still in 1st. Even the last 10 games they've only made up 1 game in the standings. Now I'm not saying they're a bad team or it's not going to be a close race. But I'm certainly not resigned to their fate like you seem to be.

I'm also certainly not writing off a loss automatically on Friday like you seem to be. Alcantara is good but nowhere near unbeatable. I think you're a bit scarred, we still have very good SP when Scherzer is healthy. If Carrasco needs an IL stint then I agree we need to add a SP in a trade. But Scherzer, deGrom, Bassitt, Carrasco, Walker is one of the best rotations in the league. And that's not even counting Megill

Maybe I'm misremembering but I feel like you've been saying don't sign deGrom for a few years now because of injuries. Very possible that wasn't until last year though. Also to be clear, "one of the top pitchers in the game" is your projection. All I said is deGrom will be a difference maker, which I stand by. Never said he's going to return to immediately being a top pitcher this season, but even at his worst he's better than running Trevor Williams out every 5th day

Curiouser
Reaction Score
But the thing with the Braves is they just had their easiest stretch of the season while the Mets played their toughest, and the Mets are still in 1st. Even the last 10 games they've only made up 1 game in the standings. Now I'm not saying they're a bad team or it's not going to be a close race. But I'm certainly not resigned to their fate like you seem to be.

I'm also certainly not writing off a loss automatically on Friday like you seem to be. Alcantara is good but nowhere near unbeatable. I think you're a bit scarred, we still have very good SP when Scherzer is healthy. If Carrasco needs an IL stint then I agree we need to add a SP in a trade. But Scherzer, deGrom, Bassitt, Carrasco, Walker is one of the best rotations in the league. And that's not even counting Megill

Maybe I'm misremembering but I feel like you've been saying don't sign deGrom for a few years now because of injuries. Very possible that wasn't until last year though. Also to be clear, "one of the top pitchers in the game" is your projection. All I said is deGrom will be a difference maker, which I stand by. Never said he's going to return to immediately being a top pitcher this season, but even at his worst he's better than running Trevor Williams out every 5th day
Nah, I'm not resigned to anything. Just noting the facts and the trend.

Likewise, I'm not writing off Friday as an automatic loss; I said it was a tough match-up and likely loss, both of which are accurate takes. Alcantra is not unbeatable, but he's probably the best pitcher in the NL right now

But yes, I am definitely scarred!

Iirc, it was mid-way through last season that I said I wouldn't re-sign deGrom for what he would command because I was worried that he had become a China doll. As I said, I simply have no idea what to expect from him now. But if all you are saying is that he will be better than Trevor Williams, I guess I would agree that's likely. I don't see that as a difference-maker though; my biggest concern with him is that they are going to treat him with kid gloves and keep him on a tight pitch count, so he won't eat the innings you would typically want to get from your starters. I'll be very surprised if he goes beyond five innings, at least until the post-season.

If Max returns as an ace and Bassitt performs to his potential, we should have enough to contend and have a chance to play for the pennant. I feel like we need a little more--or a little luck--to play for a championship.

Reaction Score
Nah, I'm not resigned to anything. Just noting the facts and the trend.

Likewise, I'm not writing off Friday as an automatic loss; I said it was a tough match-up and likely loss, both of which are accurate takes. Alcantra is not unbeatable, but he's probably the best pitcher in the NL right now

But yes, I am definitely scarred!

Iirc, it was mid-way through last season that I said I wouldn't re-sign deGrom for what he would command because I was worried that he had become a China doll. As I said, I simply have no idea what to expect from him now. But if all you are saying is that he will be better than Trevor Williams, I guess I would agree that's likely. I don't see that as a difference-maker though; my biggest concern with him is that they are going to treat him with kid gloves and keep him on a tight pitch count, so he won't eat the innings you would typically want to get from your starters. I'll be very surprised if he goes beyond five innings, at least until the post-season.

If Max returns as an ace and Bassitt performs to his potential, we should have enough to contend and have a chance to play for the pennant. I feel like we need a little more--or a little luck--to play for a championship.
All fair points even I don’t agree with them and think you’re panicking a bit early. I fully expect deGrom to be at full strength and not treated with kid gloves though because neither side benefits from that. The Mets need to see if he's healthy before giving him an extension, and deGrom is going to want to show he's fully healthy for when he hits the open market.

Always takes luck to win a championship, but in a short series like that nobody is going to want to face the Mets SPs. The Mets have as good of a shot as the Dodgers and Yankees this year, they're the clear top 3 right now. Hopefully they add some RPs at the deadline to push them over the top

Reaction Score
Finally figured out who Alcantara reminds me of. Dave Stewart. Peers over the top of his glove the same way too.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Solid win.

Our challenge review guy is incredible. His success rate has to be off the charts. I can’t remember a challenge we’ve lost this season, but I’m sure there must be at least a few.

Reaction Score
Solid win.

Our challenge review guy is incredible. His success rate has to be off the charts. I can’t remember a challenge we’ve lost this season, but I’m sure there must be at least a few.
Buck is top in the majors this year at 73.68%

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Buck is top in the majors this year at 73.68%
They just did a nice piece on this on the pregame show. He is #1 in MLB at 75% success rate on challenges as of today. 15 of 20. Zeille says he was probably right the other five times too. They said how he always tries to give credit to others reviewing the plays, but it always starts with him and knowing the rules instantly.

Made the difference between a win and a loss last night.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Another solid win. Sound, steady, heady play. Nice outing by Bassitt. Nice to see Lugo fare better, and Diaz being Diaz. Good to have McCann back, too.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Scherzer doing rehab start in Hartford tomorrow night. SRO are the only seats left though.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I noticed the UConn Alumni Association is doing a Yankee Stadium trip this year (vs the Red Sox, what were they thinking, more UConn Sox fans than NYY), but they have not done a UConn outing at Citifield in a while. At the last one, I was sitting at McFadden's talking to a "UConn" supported who was a Cub fan (they were playing Chicago). Turned out to be Susan Herbst's husband!

Reaction Score
Scherzer doing rehab start in Hartford tomorrow night. SRO are the only seats left though.
I picked up 3 tickets last night. Let me know if you go.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I picked up 3 tickets last night. Let me know if you go.
Going with my brother and his family. Went with SRO, which I'm surprised are still available straight from the team for $10 per ticket. Secondary market for other seats starts around $45 and goes up from there.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
With Scherzer sounding uncertain about his status, China Doll deGrom still under wraps, and another craptastic outing tonight against the Astros, I hope Uncle $teve is going shopping in Cincinnati and elsewhere.

We. Need. Arms.

Beginning to feel like being a starting pitcher for the Mets is like being the drummer for Spinal Tap.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom