The Official 2019 Mets Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

The Official 2019 Mets Thread

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm not mad. I do find it interesting that a fan of such a perennial bottom feeder is this critical of a team in an entirely different league.

I guess if you are stuck with getting tooled on throughout the entire thread by a non-expert the only fallback is to insinuate some bizzare conspiracy. You might want to consider I can see the Mets for what they are because I don’t care if they win or lose.

The Orioles have an idiot for an owner too. They did go to playoffs three times in five years recently, then stupidly triple down on an old roster because they had ignored J2 signings and developed no one for half a decade. If there was an Orioles thread don’t worry I would have destroyed everyone in the organization for years.

Reaction Score
I guess if you are stuck with getting tooled on throughout the entire thread by a non-expert the only fallback is to insinuate some bizzare conspiracy. You might want to consider I can see the Mets for what they are because I don’t care if they win or lose.

The Orioles have an idiot for an owner too. They did go to playoffs three times in five years recently, then stupidly triple down on an old roster because they had ignored J2 signings and developed no one for half a decade. If there was an Orioles thread don’t worry I would have destroyed everyone in the organization for years.

That's interesting that you think I'm getting "tooled on". Your only point has been you think BVW is doing a poor job and I still think the jury is out on that. I'm not going to evaluate the guy on 6 months. If you are brilliant enough to know the inner workings of the front office and running a team, maybe you'll be right. For me, I'm willing to give him more leash.

Then again, seeing as how you guys hired Dan Duquette, maybe you haven't really recovered from that one yet.

Reaction Score
I saw a rumor of Devi Garcia for Thor I would kill Cashman in that case. Bring the kid up already he has to be better than what they're throwing out there on the mound these days but please do not trade him for a 5.00 ERA guy. Hopefully fake news.

I’m a Yankees fan and even I think Deivi Garcia is extemely overrated and is just the most recent member of the Yankees prospect hype machine. I would immediately trade him in a package fo Syndergaard. Deivi is a 5’9” right handed pitcher who sits in the low 90s with his fastball and has over a 10% walk rate in the minors. Major leaguers aren’t going to continually chase his out of the zone offspeed pitches to bail him out like they did in Double A.

To put it in perspective, the number of successful starting pitchers 5’10” or shorter could be counted on one hand. There have only been 11 total right handers 5’10” or shorter who have a WAR over 10 (the majority of whom are relievers), with Sonny Gray as #6 all time (#3 all time among starters). How many other pitchers shorter than 5'10” have even started a game since 2000? (The answer is six - Marcus Stroman, Shane Komine, Michael Tejera, Arnie Munoz, Fabio Castro, Daniel Garibay). There's a much higher chance of Deivi becoming one of the other five than he is of even becoming Marcus Stroman.

Reaction Score
I’m a Yankees fan and even I think Deivi Garcia is extemely overrated and is just the most recent member of the Yankees prospect hype machine. I would immediately trade him in a package fo Syndergaard. Deivi is a 5’9” right handed pitcher who sits in the low 90s with his fastball and has over a 10% walk rate in the minors. Major leaguers aren’t going to continually chase his out of the zone offspeed pitches to bail him out like they did in Double A.

To put it in perspective, the number of successful starting pitchers 5’10” or shorter could be counted on one hand. There have only been 11 total right handers 5’10” or shorter who have a WAR over 10 (the majority of whom are relievers), with Sonny Gray as #6 all time (#3 all time among starters). How many other pitchers shorter than 5'10” have even started a game since 2000? (The answer is six - Marcus Stroman, Shane Komine, Michael Tejera, Arnie Munoz, Fabio Castro, Daniel Garibay). There's a much higher chance of Deivi becoming one of the other five than he is of even becoming Marcus Stroman.

Good for you but I’m not giving him up for a 4.33 ERA guy especially when he’s not enough. And just so you know the Mets only consider Garcia worth anything of the 3 spoken about in a trade with the other 2 being Frazier and Andujar. They wanted Garcia but neither of those 2 nor Florial. So maybe me and the Mets are wrong and you’re right? Never know...

Reaction Score
Good for you but I’m not giving him up for a 4.33 ERA guy especially when he’s not enough. And just so you know the Mets only consider Garcia worth anything of the 3 spoken about in a trade with the other 2 being Frazier and Andujar. They wanted Garcia but neither of those 2 nor Florial. So maybe me and the Mets are wrong and you’re right? Never know...

If you're agreeing with the Mets, then I feel like I have a far better chance at being right. :p

Edit: also do you have a link for this? I don't remember seeing anything about the Mets wanting Garcia or even discussing Frazier and Andujar as well.

Reaction Score
If you're agreeing with the Mets, then I feel like I have a far better chance at being right. :p

Edit: also do you have a link for this? I don't remember seeing anything about the Mets wanting Garcia or even discussing Frazier and Andujar as well.

The Mets point is well taken lol

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
they bought high on a heavily used short right handed pitcher who hasnt pitched as well as his era would reflect.

when they are done with whatever it is they are trying to do we’ll all see it to save some nominal amount of salary because the franchise is an absolute joke.

not so sure about this buying high concept. certainly more than last year. But how big of a return was it really?

Text from an American League executive: "The Blue Jays' return for Stroman is embarrassing compared to what the Indians just got for Bauer."

— Robert Murray (@ByRobertMurray) July 31, 2019

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
not so sure about this buying high concept. certainly more than last year. But how big of a return was it really?

Text from an American League executive: "The Blue Jays' return for Stroman is embarrassing compared to what the Indians just got for Bauer."

— Robert Murray (@ByRobertMurray) July 31, 2019

They traded for Stroman in the middle of his best major league season that’s essentially the definition of buying high.

The Blue Jays may have paniced but they were in a much different situation than Cleveland and if you think the haul for Stroman wasnt good, it could be that the market values him differently... the market for 5’7 right handed pitchers generally isn’t robust

Curiouser
Reaction Score
They traded for Stroman in the middle of his best major league season that’s essentially the definition of buying high.

The Blue Jays may have paniced but they were in a much different situation than Cleveland and if you think the haul for Stroman wasnt good, it could be that the market values him differently... the market for 5’7 right handed pitchers generally isn’t robust
Mike Hampton looks down on Stroman.

the Q

Reaction Score

And didn’t pay the price remotely close to what he’s pitched like.

I don’t like him as a long term bet because short guys fade fast (see Kazmir).

But this price isn’t outrageous at all.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And didn’t pay the price remotely close to what he’s pitched like.

I don’t like him as a long term bet because short guys fade fast (see Kazmir).

But this price isn’t outrageous at all.

the price isnt outrageous the trade just makes no sense for actually building a winning team. there isn’t any reason to want stroman if you are the mets.

the Q

Reaction Score
the price isnt outrageous the trade just makes no sense for actually building a winning team. there isn’t any reason to want stroman if you are the mets.

That I agree with.

As I said before, if a team like the Yankees or Astros gave up a comparable level of talent for Stroman it would’ve been fine.

The Mets basically bought Stroman rather than wade into this years fa market to replace wheeler or Vargas. It’s not the best move or use of resources, but it’s also not BVW’s worst move.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That I agree with.

As I said before, if a team like the Yankees or Astros gave up a comparable level of talent for Stroman it would’ve been fine.

The Mets basically bought Stroman rather than wade into this years fa market to replace wheeler or Vargas. It’s not the best move or use of resources, but it’s also not BVW’s worst move.

he’d have to burn down citi field to top the cano trade

Reaction Score
The Mets aren't in rebuild mode. With Stroman, they can control what their staff looks like next year.

If they get a deal they can't pass up for Syndergaard, they make it. Stroman helps fill the gap.
If they don't get a blockbuster, they get a lesser deal for Wheeler. Stroman helps fill the gap.

I think you're looking at deGrom, Syndergaard, Stroman and Matz 1-4 next year. Why is that bad?

the Q

Reaction Score

We need something stronger than the like button....

the Q

Reaction Score
The Mets aren't in rebuild mode. With Stroman, they can control what their staff looks like next year.

If they get a deal they can't pass up for Syndergaard, they make it. Stroman helps fill the gap.
If they don't get a blockbuster, they get a lesser deal for Wheeler. Stroman helps fill the gap.

I think you're looking at deGrom, Syndergaard, Stroman and Matz 1-4 next year. Why is that bad?

What’s the rest of the path to contention?

They have holes across the infield besides Alonso.

They need a good cf and to assume that cespedes is the same coming back at his age is an assumption in its own right. Not to mention the gasoline crew that is called the bullpen.

Will the Mets actually spend money after squandering so much on the geriatric cano?

It’s a lot of work if the Mets aren’t going to seriously bump up the payroll.

Reaction Score
What’s the rest of the path to contention?

They have holes across the infield besides Alonso.

They need a good cf and to assume that cespedes is the same coming back at his age is an assumption in its own right. Not to mention the gasoline crew that is called the bullpen.

Will the Mets actually spend money after squandering so much on the geriatric cano?

It’s a lot of work if the Mets aren’t going to seriously bump up the payroll.

McNeil is a hole? I think Rosario can still potentially be a decent option at SS. 3B was supposed to be Frazier and Lowrie. I think they would only need to address 3B next season.

Nimmo should be back. I don't expect Cespedes to ever wear a Mets uniform again. Dom Smith. Conforto. Nimmo. Add in a full time CF?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm not mad. I do find it interesting that a fan of such a perennial bottom feeder is this critical of a team in an entirely different league.
He trolls fans of losing teams, doesn't matter the sport.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I was in AC. Should have put a prop bet like that Blues fan, on the Mets.
Basically Stroman for Vargas. LOL.
#wheretheFisJed?

the Q

Reaction Score

BVW says hold my beer....

the Q

Reaction Score
Posting anything Ehalt says on this board should get you banned

Lol.

I haven’t heard of the guy. But there’s now two sources running with the story. That’s enough smoke to at least bring it up.

Reaction Score
Lol.

I haven’t heard of the guy. But there’s now two sources running with the story. That’s enough smoke to at least bring it up.
He's a UConn "fan" who went to Cuse and now just kills the program any chance he gets. He'd fit in well here actually

the Q

Reaction Score
He's a UConn "fan" who went to Cuse and now just kills the program any chance he gets. He'd fit in well here actually

At least this is Mets related?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom