The Official 2016 NY Yankees Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

The Official 2016 NY Yankees Thread

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Man the Mets suck huh?:eek:
More like ravaged by a pretty incredible string of injuries.

Yet, amazingly, still more in the playoff hunt than the MFY.:p

Reaction Score
More like ravaged by a pretty incredible string of injuries.

Yet, amazingly, still more in the playoff hunt than the MFY.:p

Ok ok but really, 3 games over .500 and we're 1 with what could be the worst offensive team in baseball. Not sure how proud you should be of being in a "race" for a one and done. ;)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ok ok but really, 3 games over .500 and we're 1 with what could be the worst offensive team in baseball. Not sure how proud you should be of being in a "race" for a one and done. ;)
I didn't say I was proud; just saying it's a fact that we've been depleted by injuries and are nonetheless only 2 games out of the wild card, even after going 3-7 over our last ten.

Oh, and it's nothing to brag about, but I'm pretty sure that our offense is worse than the MFY by any metric you use.

Reaction Score
I didn't say I was proud; just saying it's a fact that we've been depleted by injuries and are nonetheless only 2 games out of the wild card, even after going 3-7 over our last ten.

Oh, and it's nothing to brag about, but I'm pretty sure that our offense is worse than the MFY by any metric you use.
Well, it's hard to do a 1-to-1 comparison since the Mets have to send the pitcher out there every night, but the Yankees lineup post-Beltran has all of 2 players above average - Didi and McCann (barely above average). Virtually every spot in the Mets lineup is better than the Yankees. The Mets #9 hitter last night is having a better year than 4-6 of the guys the Yankees run out there, or could run out there, including Castro, Tex, A-Rod, Refs, Romine, and Hicks. Dude, that's PUTRID. The only one I'll give a pass to is Refsnyder since he's a rookie playing part-time.

Reaction Score

Hope you know I was kidding - wink at the end. As far as I'm concerned baseball is over it's on to the Giants and UConn basketball practice soon ( and football )

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hope you know I was kidding - wink at the end. As far as I'm concerned baseball is over it's on to the Giants and UConn basketball practice soon ( and football )
I hear ya. The Mets are pretty flawed, but I'm still watching. Only one game out of the wild card as of today. Even though our pitching is not what it was supposed to be, I like our chances of advancing past the wild card if we make it. Don't think we've got any chance of catching the Nats though.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
ESPN is reporting that Mark Teixeira will retire at the end of the season. I liked Tex, he was a good player, had a great glove, and a stand-up guy. But, his production is way down and his body just can't do it anymore. Best wishes to him on his next adventure if this is true.

Sources: Yanks' Teixeira to retire at end of season
Well he's already taken up residence in Hansel Robles's head.

Reaction Score
ESPN is reporting that Mark Teixeira will retire at the end of the season. I liked Tex, he was a good player, had a great glove, and a stand-up guy. But, his production is way down and his body just can't do it anymore. Best wishes to him on his next adventure if this is true.

Sources: Yanks' Teixeira to retire at end of season

Best wishes to Tex on his impending retirement. I agree with your thoughts and always liked Tex. Hard to watch his offensive production decline over the years though. He seemed to be one of those guys that was adversely affected by the defensive shifts against him more than others. Then he battled various injuries that kept him off the field more than he was on it the past few years. Defensively he was a wizard out there at first. I've watched a ton of plays that he's made that you don't see too many other first basemen make saving the Yankees infielders and pitchers time and again. Bird will have big shoes to fill on that side of the ball.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Hard to believe he was an All Star only 3 times.

3 times in 14 seasons.

He'll be successful as a broadcaster.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Nice missile. But was there a replay? Looked safe.

Reaction Score
Here is a ranking of the top prospects acquired during trade deadline (Yankees only shown)

1. Clint Frazier
(OF, NYY, Triple-A; #13 midseason Top 50)
Acquired: From Cleveland Indians for Andrew Miller.
2016 Update: Frazier is a promising five-tool prospect. The 21-year-old harbored a 13 HR/13 SB/.276 BA trio in the Double-A Eastern League prior to a recent promotion to Triple-A, and now joins New York and projects to have versatile impact. He has the plus bat speed and barrel control to hit for a solid BA, and he continues to make strides with his discipline. Frazier’s raw power has yet to fully blossom, but a strong build coupled with an explosive swing project him to have 20-25 HR upside with 15+ SB.

4. Gleyber Torres
(SS, NYY, High-A; #34 midseason Top 50)
Acquired: From Chicago Cubs for Aroldis Chapman.
2016 Update: Torres signed with the Cubs for $1.7 million as an international free agent in 2013 and has above-average tools across the board. He has a good approach at the plate with a quick right-handed stroke and a willingness to hit to all fields. On the year, Torres is hitting .273/.356/.427 with 25 doubles, 4 home runs, and 19 SB in 377 AB at High-A.

5. Dillon Tate (RHP, NYY, Low-A)
Acquired: From Texas Rangers for Carlos Beltran.
2016 Update: Tate is a former first-round pick with an intriguing three-pitch mix. He sits 93-96 mph with his plus fastball with life and throws in a 85-88 mph slider as a good secondary. His changeup is raw, but he is athletic and maintains his arm speed well. Some effort in the delivery and walks may be an issue. In a best-case scenario, Tate refines his stuff and command and blossoms into a #2/#3 SP with Dom impact.

8. Billy McKinney (OF, NYY, Double-A)
Acquired: From Chicago Cubs for Aroldis Chapman.
2016 Update: 21-year-old McKinney was the A’s 1st round pick in 2013 but has been lackluster all year, hitting .252/.355/.322 with just 1 HR and 2 SB. At his best, he profiles as a bat-first OF who is a bit stretched in center, but lacks the plus power needed to play a corner spot.

9. Justus Sheffield (LHP, NYY, High-A)
Acquired: From Cleveland Indians for Andrew Miller.
2016 Update: Sheffield is a smallish (5’11”) southpaw with big strikeout upside, posting a 3.59 ERA/8.8 Dom in 19 starts in the Carolina League. Fastball sits 91-95 mph with late arm-side run, complementing it with a hard 82-85 mph slider and effective 75-78 mph curve. Biggest hurdle is developing consistency with his low-80s changeup, but his athleticism and repeatable arm slot should help him. Still only 20, Sheffield has ample time to bring everything together en route to becoming a future #2/#3 SP

These additions make the Yankees farm system a top 3 system

Reaction Score
Caught this on ESPN earlier today basically saying that the Yankees are gearing-up for 2019 with this week's trades and with CC's, Tiex's and A-Roid (who may not make it to the end of this season) expiring in 2018. Just need to figure out who to pawn McCann, who also maybe gone (Atlanta) before 2016 ends.

'Uber' Yankees? Brian Cashman hatches LeBron James-like master plan

ESPN's proposed Yankees batting order for opening 2019

1) Clint Frazer CF (farm)
2) Bryce Harper RF (from Washington)
3) Manny Machado, 3B (from Baltimore)
4) Aaron Judge, DH (farm)
5) Greg Bird, 1B (farm/IR)
5) Gary Sanchez, C (farm)
6) Didi Gregorius, SS (Yankees)
7) Gleyber Torres, 2B (farm)
8) Jacoby Ellsbury, CF (Yankees)

Rotation: 1) Jose Fernandez (from Miami), 2) TBD, 3) Masahiro Tanaka (Yankees), 4) Luis Severino (Yankees), 5) James Kaprielian (farm)
Only whole would be a closer.

That's a loaded team.

Never going to happen but ESPN needs to put out these pieces to make yankee fans feel warm and fuzzy

Machado has already begun extension talks with the Orioles and he's the one who approached them as he wants to stay with them long term with his good buddy Schoop.

Harper may or may not leave the nationals we'll have to wait and see

Reaction Score
A-Rod press conference at 11 Am today (Sunday). My guess is that he's gone at the end of the season, but not as a pure retirement but as an "amiciable" buyout.

He's been nothing but respectful and positive since his return from the suspension, but it would be something to have him not taking up a roster spot next season and continuing the makeover.

Reaction Score
Anyone else watch the A-Rod conference?

Personally, the conference really made me respect A-Rod as the person. Yes, he's a cheater, but he's done everything right since his suspension. He's transformed from a hated player, even amongst Yankees fans to a guy who I've personally loved his interactions with the team, especially the younger players. I found the conference very insightful and very emotional, not only from A-Rod's tears and love for baseball, but the responses from Joe and Cash.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
1/2 of it was Telemundo or Univision questions where they jibber jabbered back and forth in Spanish, without knowing WTF A Rod or the Chiquita's said.
Other than that it was blah.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
A-Rod showed his maturity and his passion this morning. You know he still wants to play but I beleive he realizes his body just can't do it anymore.

As to his new position, it has been said by several sportscasters/ writers that A-Rod has been a very good mentor to the younger ballplayers as they came up to the majors. He has seen it all. He's been on top and has hit rock bottom. He has grown and matured over the last few years.

Got to repsect him for doing this. He understands the Yankees need to bring up the younger players and build for the future.

The best to A-Rod as he begins a new type of baseball life.

Reaction Score

Has that been confirmed by anyone else. Makes sense with everything else going on in the Bronx. Gives Sanchez an opportunity to show what he can do. That would basically leaves CC and Ellsbury as the big contracts still hanging around.

Personally, 2016 is over, though they have a shot at a wildcard. I think 2017 should focus on developing the kids and identifying where the gaps are. Use the 2017 free agency window to fill in those gaps.

Reaction Score
By all accounts, A-rod loves the game and is a huge fan of its history. Makes it all the more surprising that chose to cheat. Kudos to him for how he's handled his post suspension life with more class and I agree with Cashman that the Yankees don't win the 2009 World Series without him, but I won't be sad to see him go. He was never a guy that I found easy to root for.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom