The Nat Attack | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Nat Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Hard to have exact take always from tonight, but Butler is not shy on the offensive end. She might not make us forget Kiah as a defender, but she has zero reluctance to score and she has that great stroke.

T

TroyHouse66

Oh Yes, I miss big MaMa so much.
Believe me Butler will be next Dolson.
gNat isn't the Purple People Eater, yet, but she, definitely, IS a presence (present) in the paint.
You can almost hear it when she comes in... A quick glance & short message to the Stew... "I got this, gal... Go do that shooting thing you do so well."

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We must have watched different games. Just talking about offense here. Both Saniya and Courtney did not take a shot in the first half, despite Saniya having three open looks. KLS didn't play at all in the first half. Gabby showed what subs need to do: get in the game, and make things happen, don't defer to other players. I think Gabby had 10 in the first half. She had some nice mid range shots. It might not be fair to compare Saniya or Courtney or KLS to Gabby, but that's what Geno is looking for, when you get in the game, make something happen offensively. The second half was better, but most of the starters were out of the game by that point.

Definitely Natalie made things happen when she got in. She made the most of her playing time. And Geno said that Nat was excited to get in there. Almost as excited as we were to see her in there. The future is brighter.

Gabby has become a spark plug off the bench. There's no one else on the bench that Geno could put in that would have the immediate impact that she does. Geno doesn't loose much Starting Pheesa. She is an excellent rebounder, and she's showing a consistent mid-range jumper. Napheesa is beginning to get her "sea-legs" with each passing game.
A double -double tonight for her. The first of what should be many. This may be why Geno has Gabby coming off the bench instead of starting.

Tonight was the night we've all been waiting for. The debut of Natalie Butler. Tonight's game was an excellent stage for her to make her first appearance of the season.
She did everything she wanted to do in the limited time she spent on the court. She was 2 rebounds shy of a double-double. I count 9 games in January for UConn. Butler should be settled in and comfortable playing with her teammates by the end of the month. When Butler gets comfortable, and if Chong can recover from her injury and stay healthy, UConn is going to be a real nightmare for everyone on their schedule.

Query.....How many more games before Natalie gets her first double-double? I say no more than 4.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I thought Nat looked like an All-American out there. This one, actually...
upload_2015-12-31_0-25-47.png

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I missed the game, but checked the stats. Natalie's numbers gave me goosebumps.

You can see the replay of tonight's game on ESPN3.

Reaction Score
Monday at the Garden, commentators excitedly proclaimed that Maryland had shown the WCBB world the way to attack and defeat UConn's defense- by going at them down low with a real big, strong kid. Well, tonight @ Cincinnati professor Auriemma introduced his answer- #51. A whole lot more work yet to do, Nat (conditioning!), but one hell of a start, for sure.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
UCONN just got a little taller tonite and should match up with South Carolina a little better.

3" more or less. But Kiah did not play in USC game last year did she?? Morgan and Stewie dismantled SC's interior defense. Think I'm right on that. Still, it is great to have Natalie getting more than ready.

Reaction Score
PhillyCoach, all three incoming freshmen are having outstanding seasons. Some of them may be a factor next season also.

Hey Donald - I agree. Irwin would be the first sub for the Bigs (or go with 3 bigs on the floor). Bent would have to get by Chong, Danger, Nurse, and even Courtney before she hits the floor. I hear she is really smart and can play, but I think her minutes would be towards the end of blowouts. However, who knows what the future brings?

Reaction Score
No one will be happier than Bre to see Natalie in the post. Ever since Step left, Stewart has basically been playing the 5. As a result, she as taken a serious pounding, abuse that she would not have had to take if UConn had brought in a big sooner. I never remember Bre complaining; in fact, she said recently that she would be surprised to be in a game where she wasn't being roughed up. Now, if Butler is truly OK and ready to put in the minutes, Stewart should be much freer to much more damage. Is that possible? Make a note of this date. Expect an even better Bre.

Reaction Score
Natalie speaks:

"I think I am a lot quicker in the post than I've ever been, but I haven't demonstrated that yet," Butler said. "I feel like I have a lot more to offer and I plan to get incrementally better as the season moves on. But the reason I had the game I did was because of my teammates."

[LINK]

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The best thing Natalie showed me last night was her head. She kept it. Imagine sitting for a year and a half and finally being out there. What did she do? Her job, with a minimum of flail or nerves. Her moves have a Tuck like calm efficiency. She demonstrated hustle. She has great hands, including the taped one. I'm more than pleased.

Reaction Score
Gabby has become a spark plug off the bench. There's no one else on the bench that Geno could put in that would have the immediate impact that she does. Geno doesn't loose much Starting Pheesa. She is an excellent rebounder, and she's showing a consistent mid-range jumper. Napheesa is beginning to get her "sea-legs" with each passing game.
A double -double tonight for her. The first of what should be many. This may be why Geno has Gabby coming off the bench instead of starting.

Tonight was the night we've all been waiting for. The debut of Natalie Butler. Tonight's game was an excellent stage for her to make her first appearance of the season.
She did everything she wanted to do in the limited time she spent on the court. She was 2 rebounds shy of a double-double. I count 9 games in January for UConn. Butler should be settled in and comfortable playing with her teammates by the end of the month. When Butler gets comfortable, and if Chong can recover from her injury and stay healthy, UConn is going to be a real nightmare for everyone on their schedule.

Query.....How many more games before Natalie gets her first double-double? I say no more than 4.
If Nat had played a few more minutes she would have had her first double -double. After watching last night one gets a better understanding of her freshman numbers at Georgetown. She will be a double-double machine once she gets the playing time , which is hopefully soon. It wouldn't surprise me if both Nat and NC averaged double -doubles next year. The future is extremely bright.

Reaction Score
If Nat had played a few more minutes she would have had her first double -double. After watching last night one gets a better understanding of her freshman numbers at Georgetown. She will be a double-double machine once she gets the playing time , which is hopefully soon. It wouldn't surprise me if both Nat and NC averaged double -doubles next year. The future is extremely bright.
That is so true. If Butler plays 25 mins she will have a double-double.

Reaction Score
Now that everyone knows that Nat can hit the 15 footer (like Tuck) I would like to see Nat-Tuck-Stewie on the floor at the same time. They could have a high / low post in play and also the inside- outside with Stewie. The three of them could interchange & play the high post or the low post. Moving in and out (like Tuck and Stewie did recently) would really confuse the defense. I don't know if South Carolina could handle all that movement and fire power.

Reaction Score
Now that everyone knows that Nat can hit the 15 footer (like Tuck) I would like to see Nat-Tuck-Stewie on the floor at the same time. They could have a high / low post in play and also the inside- outside with Stewie. The three of them could interchange & play the high post or the low post. Moving in and out (like Tuck and Stewie did recently) would really confuse the defense. I don't know if South Carolina could handle all that movement and fire power.
This Tri-Tower is unbeatable...

Reaction Score
In addition to the above comments, Butler did a great job posting up, and burying her defender behind her. That said, Cincy had no height, and minimal skill, but Butler's positioning down low was quite impressive. I can also see her at the high post, lobbing it down low to Stewie and Tuck, or banging in the foul line jumper. How in the world would anyone defend that?

Reaction Score
Hey Donald - I agree. Irwin would be the first sub for the Bigs (or go with 3 bigs on the floor). Bent would have to get by Chong, Danger, Nurse, and even Courtney before she hits the floor. I hear she is really smart and can play, but I think her minutes would be towards the end of blowouts. However, who knows what the future brings?

I think Bent will get a decent amount of minutes. Having seen her play a few times, she is a very talented player who can play well at both ends of the floor and also does all the little things. I think she's going to continue to improve more and more based on her very recent (comparatively) focus on basketball. Most kids these days focus on basketball before they even get to high school and it sounds like Bent didn't even start playing serious AAU (national) basketball until last year due to her exploits on the soccer field which is a sport she continued to play right up through her time in high school. I think people will be very pleasantly surprised with her next year. We can't forget that back in the spring before hurting herself and missing the entire summer national AAU circuit that she put forth a performance in front of Geno and Shea that led Shea to say "Geno has nobody like her at UConn and he loves how hard she plays and what she can do on the court" and Mathew Mitchell the coach of #7 Kentucky to say "She could play for us right now".

http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2015/06/latest-uconn-commit-doesnt-take-any.html (quotes)
http://www.journalinquirer.com/spor...cle_15659aba-4e0a-11e5-8905-1f109ffd3584.html (ankle injury)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Sounds as though Geno may have picked up a sleeper.

Reaction Score
Something missing since Stef left, was the solid screen at the foul line which freed Mo, and others to drive. Nat should be able to set that solid screen.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
3" more or less. But Kiah did not play in USC game last year did she?? Morgan and Stewie dismantled SC's interior defense. Think I'm right on that. Still, it is great to have Natalie getting more than ready.
Stokes played minimal minutes. As he is wont to do, GA devised a game plan not in keeping with what we mere mortals would have thought, and chose to outrun and outscore USC. Perfectly consistent with a mindset of attacking the other team and letting them prepare/deal with UCONN, not the other way around.

Put another way, he didn't play into their hands and let it become a slugfest with the USC bigs. Pretty clever.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Stokes played minimal minutes. As he is wont to do, GA devised a game plan not in keeping with what we mere mortals would have thought, and chose to outrun and outscore USC. Perfectly consistent with a mindset of attacking the other team and letting them prepare/deal with UCONN, not the other way around.

Put another way, he didn't play into their hands and let it become a slugfest with the USC bigs. Pretty clever.

Morgan and Stewie also made their bigs out to be slow of foot, tying them into knots as the two scored pretty readily inside.

Reaction Score
We must have watched different games. Just talking about offense here. Both Saniya and Courtney did not take a shot in the first half, despite Saniya having three open looks. KLS didn't play at all in the first half. Gabby showed what subs need to do: get in the game, and make things happen, don't defer to other players. I think Gabby had 10 in the first half. She had some nice mid range shots. It might not be fair to compare Saniya or Courtney or KLS to Gabby, but that's what Geno is looking for, when you get in the game, make something happen offensively. The second half was better, but most of the starters were out of the game by that point.

Definitely Natalie made things happen when she got in. She made the most of her playing time. And Geno said that Nat was excited to get in there. Almost as excited as we were to see her in there. The future is brighter.
I had to go back and replay the first half. I think I found the spots you referred to. so I can resolve what Chong did or did not do with the ball after she passed up the three open looks you felt she had, And perhaps Ekmark as well since you felt she did not take a shot, Now from what I read and heard from Geno KLS was getting a message. Now maybe you feel a need to pick nits by the quarter or the half but regardless of chasm in talent between Cincy and Storrs when you have 8 players in double figures for scoring, 9 players played 12 or more minutes (and Ekmark got in 9). Chong shot 4/6, including 3/5 from the arc, had 4 rebounds 3 assists 1 steal and 1 block, 0 turnovers and just 1 personal....and she did all that in 22 minutes. Now from what I saw she passed to Nurse who may have been more open in the corner but you could argue she should have shot the three. The second one I saw her pass to MoJeff who then passed to Gabby in the lane. And the thrid time was when she dumped it in to Butler who kicked it out and she could have shot but instead passed it back in to Butler who knocked in a short jumper. Hardly passing up all that much in my opinion and was definitely looking at getting the team a better shot.

Reaction Score
What about KLS? She's the 3rd tallest on the team now at 6-3. You could have 6-5, 6-4, and 6-3 out there. If KLS were a little more consistent from outside, you could have two bigs that can play inside around the hoop, or step out and shoot 3s. Although I guess that would be a pretty slow lineup.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I had to go back and replay the first half. I think I found the spots you referred to. so I can resolve what Chong did or did not do with the ball after she passed up the three open looks you felt she had, And perhaps Ekmark as well since you felt she did not take a shot, Now from what I read and heard from Geno KLS was getting a message. Now maybe you feel a need to pick nits by the quarter or the half but regardless of chasm in talent between Cincy and Storrs when you have 8 players in double figures for scoring, 9 players played 12 or more minutes (and Ekmark got in 9). Chong shot 4/6, including 3/5 from the arc, had 4 rebounds 3 assists 1 steal and 1 block, 0 turnovers and just 1 personal....and she did all that in 22 minutes. Now from what I saw she passed to Nurse who may have been more open in the corner but you could argue she should have shot the three. The second one I saw her pass to MoJeff who then passed to Gabby in the lane. And the thrid time was when she dumped it in to Butler who kicked it out and she could have shot but instead passed it back in to Butler who knocked in a short jumper. Hardly passing up all that much in my opinion and was definitely looking at getting the team a better shot.
Comment re the play to Gabby. A person could argue that SC should have taken that shot. But the way I see it, she showed mature judgment in not pulling the trigger so quickly after entering the game, and in this case, early in the shot clock. A little patience led to an effective post entry and an effective finish by GW. And an and-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom