The Nat Attack | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Nat Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Listening to the radio replay today, during the handshake line after the game, Bob Joyce overheard Jamelle Elliott say to Natalie: "Wow, you're good!" :)

Reaction Score
Chong is 1 inch taller than Moriah, and 2 inches taller than our new star Dangerfield.
Sue Bird is only 1 inch taller than Chong.

Sue Bird in 00-01 played 27.7 minutes. With the bench we have Chong won't see 27.7 minutes imo. In Bird's sr year she averaged close to 30. With the bench we have an star-power we have at guard/wing - no way I see Chong able to get off an average of 10 shots per game.

This is year three for Chong. The other two years she has been benched. And as of right now she is averaging 8.9 shots per 40 minutes even though she is shooting 52% from the floor and 47% from 3. MoJeff is averaging 11.8 shots per 40 min game and even though KLS has been bricking she is still averaging 13.9 shots per game. There is a reason KLS is averaging 13.9 shots per minute and more than BOTH Mo Jeff and Chong even though the other two are shooting better. Her size from the perimeter. She can get off a shot much easier. My math could be off- but don't think so.

It's not to say Chong won't be very important. It's just that for 2 years she hasn't shown she can be relied upon and we know Geno loves to work the ball inside too. Tuck will get a lot of shots. It seems Butler will. KLS will. Nurse will. And this doesn't include how much improved NC and Gabby will be. Then ofc got to work Danger in there. SO how many does that leave Chong? Frankly, I think the key to SC - and even at the next level- is not shot attempts but doing what MoJeff and Bird were able to do and that is to direct an offense and to play good defense. She must be able to do those two things. No way she sees 10 per game unless several injuries and or KLS shows she can't shoot.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
We won a title and lost one game last year with BS at the 5 / 4. We're fine with her at the 5 and now we're stronger with NB too. IMO the BS "getting beat up" is overrated. She has been free for a long time and she makes the opposition pay much more than they do to her. How many centers can guard her? I didn't see her wear down last year. IMO she got stronger throughout the year. And I want her inside for blocking shots more than outside on the perimeter. NB will make this team much better if she shows what she did the1st game though. She looked terrific.

I agree that Stewie didn't noticeably wear down last year, but I honestly think we may need Butler's defense at the 5 before this season ends. As Geno said after the Maryland game, we haven't yet replaced the defense Stokes gave us in the paint last season. IMO we're a little bit vulnerable against teams with great frontcourts or great offensive post players, although fortunately those teams are few and far between. I'd say Maryland is the first team we've played this year that had a really good frontcourt (I'm not counting shorthanded ND), and for long stretches of that game we had a very hard time stopping Jones. Similarly, we had absolutely no answer for Turner when Stokes was on the bench for most of the second half of last season's title game. Turner had 14 points (on 7-of-8 shooting) and 7 rebounds in the second half, and we didn't come close to stopping her. Sure, we won anyway because we were up 8 at halftime and managed to hit enough shots to keep Notre Dame at arm's length until the final buzzer. But if Turner hadn't taken 20 minutes to get going, we might have been in serious trouble.

Of course, it remains to be seen whether Butler can defend an elite post player down low, but I'm hopeful that she can help with this. At the very least I'd bet that she's better equipped than Stewie or anyone else on our roster to bang bodies and keep opposing bigs from establishing good position in the low post before an entry pass arrives. In any case, I think this team's low-post defense could use a little help, and if Natalie can provide it, it should make winning another championship a whole lot easier.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
It's not to say Chong won't be very important. It's just that for 2 years she hasn't shown she can be relied upon and we know Geno loves to work the ball inside too. Tuck will get a lot of shots. It seems Butler will. KLS will. Nurse will. And this doesn't include how much improved NC and Gabby will be. Then ofc got to work Danger in there. SO how many does that leave Chong? Frankly, I think the key to SC - and even at the next level- is not shot attempts but doing what MoJeff and Bird were able to do and that is to direct an offense and to play good defense. She must be able to do those two things. No way she sees 10 per game unless several injuries and or KLS shows she can't shoot.

This is, in my opinion, more than a little unfair to Saniya, particularly when it comes to her offensive game. I think she's shown, in limited opportunities, that she's a clutch offensive player. Last week she made the biggest shot of the game against Maryland. In the tightest game of her entire collegiate career, she shot 8-for-13, 4-for-9 on 3's, and scored 20 points against Stanford. She was probably our best offensive player in that game. Granted, she lost her starting job afterwards, but that had everything to do with her defense, and it appears to me that she's greatly improved in that area. I don't necessarily disagree with your main point, because I think she'll probably share ball-handling duties next year and may be looking for her teammates more often than she looks for her own shot. But I do think she's shown she can be relied upon (and I suspect Geno thinks so too, or else he wouldn't have relied upon her in the final minute against Maryland).

Reaction Score
I agree that Stewie didn't noticeably wear down last year, but I honestly think we may need Butler's defense at the 5 before this season ends. As Geno said after the Maryland game, we haven't yet replaced the defense Stokes gave us in the paint last season. IMO we're a little bit vulnerable against teams with great frontcourts or great offensive post players, although fortunately those teams are few and far between. I'd say Maryland is the first team we've played this year that had a really good frontcourt (I'm not counting shorthanded ND), and for long stretches of that game we had a very hard time stopping Jones. Similarly, we had absolutely no answer for Turner when Stokes was on the bench for most of the second half of last season's title game. Turner had 14 points (on 7-of-8 shooting) and 7 rebounds in the second half, and we didn't come close to stopping her. Sure, we won anyway because we were up 8 at halftime and managed to hit enough shots to keep Notre Dame at arm's length until the final buzzer. But if Turner hadn't taken 20 minutes to get going, we might have been in serious trouble.

Of course, it remains to be seen whether Butler can defend an elite post player down low, but I'm hopeful that she can help with this. At the very least I'd bet that she's better equipped than Stewie or anyone else on our roster to bang bodies and keep opposing bigs from establishing good position in the low post before an entry pass arrives. In any case, I think this team's low-post defense could use a little help, and if Natalie can provide it, it should make winning another championship a whole lot easier.

I don't agree about "need." Stewie is the best player in the game. She is playing her best hoop, is the best in all of basketball imo by a wide margin and Tuck is a beast. While Stokes was big last year in certain games (not USC) - this year Stewie is just much much better. Tuck may be better too. And I don't agree with the word "vulnerable" at all. The other team would have to play perfect or pray Stewie wasn't at least "very good" alogn with many other failures. I wouldn't call it "vulnerable" but -- I guess nothing is assured -- but vulnerable imo is too strong. This isn't last year's Stewie or prior years. This is Stewie at an all-time level. Superior to DT/ Maya? And yet she has beast teammates? Not to mention we have the best pg in the nation. SO while the big teams have to work the ball to get it inside, MoJeff can find Stewie anywhere. And an underrated aspect is Stiew knocks down ft's too. SO "bang"" her around she goes to the ft line and hits shots.

As far as Turner - I don't agree with the context. Many of those baskets were from penetration. She also hit one ne extremely lucky outside shot that went off the backboard I think? IMO she wasn't controlling the game. They were situations where her teammates made a play for the most part- ie got her the ball in sweet spots ordrove and missed and allowed her to be setteled in a sweet position. Their other big is gone now. .

As far as "if" -- well IF Stewie didn't get hurt. I thought Tuck played nervous. IF she didn't and was her normal self. . . I was at the game years ago in Htfd with DT's amazing last few minutes vs Tenn - if she wasn't htting half-court shots . . . And if a year later Duke didn't hit the lucky end of game shot. Maybe Minnesota is on our region and not Duke's in the E8. Maybe we didn't match up to Duke as well seeing how we held on at home only to fall. I don't believe in IF's. There was a reason why Turner did what she did -imo she was a frosh. Just as Calipari spoke of how he felt Ky was nervous vs UCONN in finals. Sure they were- BUT that's why experience helps. That can't be taken away as an advantage. That's what Turner was. What if USC made one more play in the semis while Turner was on the bench?

An Geno may be talking about things to work on - he's a coach. He sees all the details. Like all coaches. But if we're talking about the details- what details are there to stop Stewie and Tuck? What are the oppsoign coaches saying that is needed to stop them? IMO our weapons even without NB are superior to anyone else's. ANythign si possible and I am veyrgald ot have NB. She will help.

Reaction Score
This is, in my opinion, more than a little unfair to Saniya, particularly when it comes to her offensive game. I think she's shown, in limited opportunities, that she's a clutch offensive player. Last week she made the biggest shot of the game against Maryland. In the tightest game of her entire collegiate career, she shot 8-for-13, 4-for-9 on 3's, and scored 20 points against Stanford. She was probably our best offensive player in that game. Granted, she lost her starting job afterwards, but that had everything to do with her defense, and it appears to me that she's greatly improved in that area. I don't necessarily disagree with your main point, because I think she'll probably share ball-handling duties next year and may be looking for her teammates more often than she looks for her own shot. But I do think she's shown she can be relied upon (and I suspect Geno thinks so too, or else he wouldn't have relied upon her in the final minute against Maryland).

As far as Chong - I did say "It's not to say Chong won't be very important." I also said I expect her to start. I also in no way conceded that Dangerfeild would supplant her. All I said was we'll see as this year progresses and next year. It hard on these sites - hen you and I post- we can't bring to the table everything. I thought it implied when I also said Gneo like Chong a lot right now so she will start that my implication is that SC is no scrub. And as far as Chong not being relied upon - the poster indicated 10 shots. For SC to take 10 shots she needs "minutes" imo. Thus I don't think just speaking of her offense is correct. If she doesn't paly defense well- she won't get the minutes in order to take the 10+ shots.

My comment was also re-establishing my point about size. One or two posters had taken me literally - no fault for them- to reference Sue Bird and MoJeff. Bird and MoJeff are among the greatest players of all-time in UCONN History. There are exceptions. I was just "drawing" a separation between SC vs SB and MoJeff. Just because some of the greatest players in UCONN history break the mold in a way, it doesn't mean a very good player also fits in the mold of these greatest players. There is a reason why these two for example will be among the top picks taken and are 1tsteamm all-americans. Their game transcends. Because Saniya's game doesn't shouldn't be a knock on SC. She is fine. Love how she is playing this year. And I believe Geno is giddy with her performance. But Bird and MoJeff are better.

SC is turning into a very fine player. And we have many.

Reaction Score
That would surprise the hell out of me. Can and will are very different. The last person to avg a double-double for a season was....Lobo. 20 year ago. Nobody since then. Not Charles, not Wolters, not Abrosimova, not Cash, not Moore, not Dolson, not Stewart. All AA's and a few NPOYs, but none of them ever averaged a double-double. All of them probably could have, but none of them did.
The reason most of those named did not average a double-double was the rebounding part. Stewie for instance, would have double-doubles every night if her rebounding average was a little higher. I think there's a good chance both NC and NB could average double figure rebounds if given 20-25 minutes a game. The question for both is can they average 10+ points a game on a consistent basis - my guess is that they can. But will they? Good question. Kiah Stokes would have gotten more minutes and probably gotten close to a triple double (points, rebounds, blocks) if she could have scored on a more consistent basis.

Reaction Score
Sue Bird in 00-01 played 27.7 minutes. With the bench we have Chong won't see 27.7 minutes imo. In Bird's sr year she averaged close to 30. With the bench we have an star-power we have at guard/wing - no way I see Chong able to get off an average of 10 shots per game.

This is year three for Chong. The other two years she has been benched. And as of right now she is averaging 8.9 shots per 40 minutes even though she is shooting 52% from the floor and 47% from 3. MoJeff is averaging 11.8 shots per 40 min game and even though KLS has been bricking she is still averaging 13.9 shots per game. There is a reason KLS is averaging 13.9 shots per minute and more than BOTH Mo Jeff and Chong even though the other two are shooting better. Her size from the perimeter. She can get off a shot much easier. My math could be off- but don't think so.

It's not to say Chong won't be very important. It's just that for 2 years she hasn't shown she can be relied upon and we know Geno loves to work the ball inside too. Tuck will get a lot of shots. It seems Butler will. KLS will. Nurse will. And this doesn't include how much improved NC and Gabby will be. Then ofc got to work Danger in there. SO how many does that leave Chong? Frankly, I think the key to SC - and even at the next level- is not shot attempts but doing what MoJeff and Bird were able to do and that is to direct an offense and to play good defense. She must be able to do those two things. No way she sees 10 per game unless several injuries and or KLS shon't shoot.
I thoroughly disagree with you on the reason KLS is averaging 13.9 shots a minute. It's because she shoots every time she's got the opportunity (which would not be a bad thing if her shot was falling, and I believe that will come). It's relatively easy to get off long 3 pointers unless the other team is trying to prevent you from doing that, and no one is doing that presently with KLS because she's shooting such a low percentage. KML got off a lot of three pointers and not only was she not that tall, they were looking to stop her and she's not particularly fast: BUT she did know how to keep moving and used picks well and everyone on UCONN picked for her. The same could be true for Chong. I'm not defending the prediction for Chong, I just think it's pretty easy for anyone to average a high number of shots (but you better be hitting them or you're yanked).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The reason most of those named did not average a double-double was the rebounding part. Stewie for instance, would have double-doubles every night if her rebounding average was a little higher. I think there's a good chance both NC and NB could average double figure rebounds if given 20-25 minutes a game. The question for both is can they average 10+ points a game on a consistent basis - my guess is that they can. But will they? Good question. Kiah Stokes would have gotten more minutes and probably gotten close to a triple double (points, rebounds, blocks) if she could have scored on a more consistent basis.
Ain't no "most" to it. All of those I listed averaged 10+ points a game. It's always getting those 10+ rebounds. No one has averaged 10+ rebounds in 20 years. Since Lobo. That's a lot of AA's and NPOYs that didn't (not couldn't, didn't) do it. But some of you guys think Butler AND Collier are going to be able to. And not as seniors either but 2nd year playing for UCONN.

Hey, more power to them if they did. I'd be ecstatic. But I'd also be extremely, extremely surprised. You guys should be too, if you are realistic.

Remember how many people told us Stokes would avg a double-double last year? She wasn't even close.

Wake up people.

Reaction Score
I thoroughly disagree with you on the reason KLS is averaging 13.9 shots a minute. It's because she shoots every time she's got the opportunity (which would not be a bad thing if her shot was falling, and I believe that will come). It's relatively easy to get off long 3 pointers unless the other team is trying to prevent you from doing that, and no one is doing that presently with KLS because she's shooting such a low percentage. KML got off a lot of three pointers and not only was she not that tall, they were looking to stop her and she's not particularly fast: BUT she did know how to keep moving and used picks well and everyone on UCONN picked for her. The same could be true for Chong. I'm not defending the prediction for Chong, I just think it's pretty easy for anyone to average a high number of shots (but you better be hitting them or you're yanked).

We can agree to disagree- I think we are unless you completely mssed my point? I've argued that KLS can get off more shots because of her size. I think that was the basis of the arguments I've made?

Anyhow if that is the disagrement then -- 1.) - I did say at some point if KLS continues to miss - Geno will tell her to stop. But right now Geno has not told her to stop despite shooting lousy, right? What I've read from Geno and hear on occasion fom the announcers is that she needs to do other things if her shot isn't falling or maybe take 2's instead fo 3's. But nowhere have I heard she is taking too many shots. So wouldn't it be better if others such as Chong who is shooting more efficiently take more shots? If so, then why isn't it happening?

Secondly, KML is regarded as one of the all-time greatest shooters in NCAA History. She was also a very good scorer. With all of this, then why didn't the offense run through her instead of Stef? We are talking KML was all-time great as a shooter and was a good passer.

Thid, as a UCONN fan, didn't you want KML shooting as much as possible in tight games? You've acknowledged she isn't that fast and we know she isn't that quick. And we know she isn't that tall. So you think a player who isn't as tall, fast or quick doesn't have as long of arms - in this case KML is what 4- 5 inches shorts than KLS - that she can get off her shot vs a tough opponent just as easy? Conversely what about Stewie?

Fourth Stewie can get off a 3 anytime she wants, right? In some cases because she is so tall, right? Who can stop Stewie from taking a quality three if she wanted to? You can but it would be rare, right? But you can stop KML more often because in some cases because of height, right? Stewie can shoot over the top of many, many, many more players than KML. We all know that as just logic, right? She's much taller. And on this very thread somehave mentioned with Chong her height is near Bird, MoJeff and Nurse. Well- KLS's height is closer to Stewie than KML. SO it just stands to reason that KLS can get off her shot more. And if Geno didn't think she could hit the shots he would have put a stop to her shooting as much as she has.

Fifth, the teams play zone vs us a lot. Which means form the perimeter Chong and even MoJeff have had the opportunity of being left open as much as KLS. Unless there is an indication that teams are actively preventing MoJeff and Chong to shoot 3's, it still shows KLS is getting off more shots because she can and because it is easy for her to do while the coach still believes in her. Why wouldn't the coach want Chong to shoot more if she is much more efficient? I don't believe teams are leaving her any more open than Chong. Take a look at KLS's 1st three she hit vs Cinci. Two players were relatively close to her. Other games similar. Chong doesn't get off those shots unless it is desperation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thoroughly disagree with you on the reason KLS is averaging 13.9 shots a minute. It's because she shoots every time she's got the opportunity ...

Holy crap! That kid has to be the most selfish chucker in the history of mankind, and I expect her arm to literally fall off any moment. Averaging 13.9 shots a minute comes to 556 shots per game! Please, Geno, put a stop to this madness.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
I don't agree about "need." Stewie is the best player in the game. She is playing her best hoop, is the best in all of basketball imo by a wide margin and Tuck is a beast. While Stokes was big last year in certain games (not USC) - this year Stewie is just much much better. Tuck may be better too. And I don't agree with the word "vulnerable" at all. The other team would have to play perfect or pray Stewie wasn't at least "very good" alogn with many other failures. I wouldn't call it "vulnerable" but -- I guess nothing is assured -- but vulnerable imo is too strong. This isn't last year's Stewie or prior years. This is Stewie at an all-time level. Superior to DT/ Maya? And yet she has beast teammates? Not to mention we have the best pg in the nation. SO while the big teams have to work the ball to get it inside, MoJeff can find Stewie anywhere. And an underrated aspect is Stiew knocks down ft's too. SO "bang"" her around she goes to the ft line and hits shots.

As far as Turner - I don't agree with the context. Many of those baskets were from penetration. She also hit one ne extremely lucky outside shot that went off the backboard I think? IMO she wasn't controlling the game. They were situations where her teammates made a play for the most part- ie got her the ball in sweet spots ordrove and missed and allowed her to be setteled in a sweet position. Their other big is gone now. .

As far as "if" -- well IF Stewie didn't get hurt. I thought Tuck played nervous. IF she didn't and was her normal self. . . I was at the game years ago in Htfd with DT's amazing last few minutes vs Tenn - if she wasn't htting half-court shots . . . And if a year later Duke didn't hit the lucky end of game shot. Maybe Minnesota is on our region and not Duke's in the E8. Maybe we didn't match up to Duke as well seeing how we held on at home only to fall. I don't believe in IF's. There was a reason why Turner did what she did -imo she was a frosh. Just as Calipari spoke of how he felt Ky was nervous vs UCONN in finals. Sure they were- BUT that's why experience helps. That can't be taken away as an advantage. That's what Turner was. What if USC made one more play in the semis while Turner was on the bench?

An Geno may be talking about things to work on - he's a coach. He sees all the details. Like all coaches. But if we're talking about the details- what details are there to stop Stewie and Tuck? What are the oppsoign coaches saying that is needed to stop them? IMO our weapons even without NB are superior to anyone else's. ANythign si possible and I am veyrgald ot have NB. She will help.

Well, of course everything you say is true about how amazing an offensive player Stewie is, but my post wasn't about offense. She's also a great defensive player, don't get me wrong, but right now she's a 4 stuck playing defense as a 5. That's perfectly fine against most of our opponents, but when we've had to face really strong post players, I think she's clearly been a much more effective defender when playing alongside a Dolson or a Stokes than when she's stuck manning the paint all by herself. While she's no less athletic than anyone she guards down low, I think big, skilled centers who know how to operate in the post can sometimes outmuscle or outbody her. Geno even implied as much, about a year ago:
"When she is in the lane with Stewie, Stewie can't guard her, Stewie can't move her and when Stewie is in the lane, she can't get anything done because she just physically manhandles Stewie."
To whom was he referring? Natalie Butler, of all people.
http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20141217/georgetown-transfer-natalie-butler-will-serve-uconn-well
None of this is Stewie's fault; she's been by far the best option we've had back there since Stokes graduated. My only points were that I hope Butler can be an even better option and that we "may" need her to be.

As for Turner, I went back and rewatched the second half of last year's NC game. By my count: two of her seven field goals came from deep dribble penetration (on one of these, she put back her own miss after a teammate drove and dished to her); another came off of a half-dribble drive and pass into the deep low post, from where she jumped and scored over Tuck; two more came from low-post isolation plays against Stewie after receiving passes from the high post or perimeter; one came on a lay-up after she appeared to shove Stewie out of the way; and the last one was the lucky jump shot she banked in as the shot clock expired. So, a little bit of everything there. I stand by my statement that we had no effective defensive answer for her in the second half of that game.

"Ifs" may not be of much practical use normally, but they can be informative if they involve events that might occur in the future. In this case, I suggested that we might've been in trouble had Turner played in the first half the way she played in the second. I think the clear upshot, moving forward, is that she's awfully good, she probably won't take 20 minutes to get going the next time we see her, and therefore, we might need to find a way to defend her more effectively in order to win again.

As far as "need," believe me, I hope we roll over everyone and Natalie turns out to be more of a luxury this season than a necessity. We're talking about the best team in the country, so this comes down to a question of margin for error. I believe this team's interior defense has been a relative weakness, at least against certain opponents we may face again this spring. If the Maryland game didn't show that, I'm not sure what will. I seriously doubt that letting Jones shoot 12-for-14 is the type of championship-level defense that Geno is looking for. Obviously we beat Maryland despite that, but we were stuck sweating out a game with a four-point margin entering the final minute. A similar type of game against that team in the tournament could easily result in a loss. On the other hand, if Natalie can improve our interior defense, as I hope she can, our margin for error increases and it becomes that much harder for the Marylands of the world to win against us when it really counts. If we're talking about merely the difference between a big win and a close win, Natalie's defensive contributions may not matter much this year. But IMHO it's not implausible that they could mean the difference between a close win and a close loss in some game coming up this March or April. Therefore, although I hope we don't, I still maintain that we "may" need her.

Reaction Score
Holy crap! That kid has to be the most selfish chucker in the history of mankind, and I expect her arm to literally fall off any moment. Averaging 13.9 shots a minute comes to 556 shots per game! Please, Geno, put a stop to this madness.
Any player can make 13.9 shots a minute will not stay in UConn. She will be directly sent to the best WNBA team as the coach....LOL

Reaction Score
Jimbo -- As far as your take on Turner – I couldn’t disagree more. I just watched the 2nd half of the ND game on uconnhuskygames.com. To start with halftime report Lobo speaks of Stewie’s defensive impact to paraphrase “BS has made her presence shown on the defensive end of the floor. ND’s imagination with Stewie having 3 blocks and 8 rebounds.

But more importantly Geno is being interviewed at the 11:17 mark. And he is asked about Turner “coming alive.” - Geno said “That’s what happens when someone drives the lane and we rotate. We were keeping them out of the lane in the first half. . . “

And to add to that – Turner’s ten point in the 2nd half.

1 basket 17:00 mark – Pick and roll with Stewie defending Lloyd as Turner rolls to the basket. At 17:03 mark you can see Nurse inexplicably leaving Turner and Tuck not sure who to guard Reimer or Turner. They pass to Turner. Tuck wasn’t in position. She didn’t know where to go. IMO nothing to do with “not having an answer for Turner” here.

1 basket at 15:16 mark it was off penetration. Turner missed the shot and got her rebound and scored. The player guarding her was Nurse.

1 basket at 11:53 penetration – Stokes leaves Turner- Turner gets layup from the drive-and-dish once Stokes leaves to defend the ball-handler.

***These were the three baskets Geno was talking about “drive and create” for Turner.

1 basket 10:42 —BOTH Stewie and Stokes rush out to Reimer and Reimer throws an alleyoop to the open Turner. It was BLOWN COVERAGE. Similar to an unforced turnover. No way I call this “Turner having her way.” Anyone that is tall and athletic can have their way if you give them enough room on the inside.

1 basket at 8:48—Stewie fell down. Stewie fell down. Stewie fell down. Frazier goes down!! IMO this basket again nothing to do with Turner having her way.

1 basket at 7::34 beauty move by Turner.

1 basket at 6:30 she hit a straight-away bank shot at the shot-clock buzzer. That was extremely lucky.

Of all these baskets she made one real good low post move. As Geno said the 1st three baskets were rotation. And at *:48 –Stewie fell down.

I stand by statement and Geno’s .

Reaction Score
Jimbo—First off when you say you were referring to Stewie on the defense – I think we are arguing on the word “NEED?” More on that later. Bu we agree that BS is best in college as a 4. One of my disagreements on this thread was about his or her comment of BS taking a “serious pounding.” IMO it hasn’t been near that bad. I think we agree with that, right?

As for “NEED” - while I agree she has been better defending 4’s – but my posts regarding this subject have been disagreeing for those that say “WE NEED a 5.” IMO We don’t “NEED.” As you say in your last sentence “We MIGHT need . . . ,” I definitely agree with that. While I don’t think “WE NEED” I think we “MIGHT NEED.” As I said - I guess nothing is assured – one can say it is MORE ASSURED if we have Stewie play the 4. Is that what you are getting at? For anyone who thinks that then they must have thought we needed Dolson last year, Because last year – many feared / were concerned with Duke and USC’s frontline and then in the title game vs ND we got wiped out on the glass. Did we NEED Dolson?

And I think it is unfair when you say “. . . Stokes than when she's stuck manning the paint all by herself.” I think this is very unfair to Tuck. And you’re right Stewie can get outmuscled. But every player has weaknesses. Look at the greatest in UCONN History. DT wasn’t the quickest. Maya wasn’t the tallest nor was she big for a 4. She was small. KML wasn’t quick. I’m pretty sure Butler let the Cinci player drill an outside shot that Jones nailed a few times the game before. So yeah – Stewie can get outmuscled. She isn’t perfect. But in order to win it all- she is fine as a 5.

And regarding Geno – do we really want to quote everything he says and take it literally? I mean the poor guy has had a long-standing run of bad luck by continuing to get stuck with the worst post players in America. Sue Bird did say on the Geno show last year that Geno has a “formula.” And you know, -- maybe Butler is unguardable in the paint vs every team in America.

***IMO your IF statements are irrelevant just as I said before. I stand by my statements with your use of IFFS. IFFS mean nothing.

**** You keep speaking of one side of the ball. UCONN’s offense is terrific. Maryland had no answer for UCONN’s Stewie and Tuck. We outscored them. Not to mention Jones 5 turnovers and no assists. Basketball is not a one-0way game. Got to play on both sides. While Stewie isn’t as big brawn wise – Jones had no hope of guarding her or Tuck either.

*Geno had spoken of 01-02 team not being able to guard Oklahoma. And the clinching play was isolation with DT. Geno said afterwards he could have ran that paly many times but doesn’t want to play like that. But my point is Geno can’t be pigeon-holed. HE is not going to win one way. He may have a formula to coach players but he’ll coach a style of play differently and be very successful. In this case yeah – sure he wants better defense. And he also spoke at halftime of his crummy team’s turnover performance. But imo he knows md couldn’t stop UCONN either.

Do you recall a few years ago UCONN playing Griner-led Baylor without Maya? They interviewed Geno just before going to lcokeroom at halftime he said the key to the game is who can figure out ways to score. They interviewed Baylor coach and when she heard what Geno said she was shocked and said it’s the team that can best stop the other. Geno thinks out of the box. He knows as well as many of us- that Stewie is among the greatest ever and the opposing team this season has a far worse matchup than UCONN. IMO you can’t just think one way. And as we have heard Cd say often to paraphrase “We’re not a much concerned with what other teams do. We want to dictate that they stop us.” I doubt anyone can stop Stewie this year.

**You don’t have to play perfect in order to be invincible. It’s oaky if some other players have a good game vs us. We will more than likely have better.

****************Enjoyed the discussion. Thanks. And I appreciate we kept a good conversation without insults. Thanks. Got to watch UCONN men now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom