The Nat Attack | The Boneyard

The Nat Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This Nat is a lot bigger than that gnat. It's only one game. It's only Cincinnati. It's against much smaller players. It's not who they played, but the skill Natalie displayed that will make them nearly unbeatable. Add in Katie Lou getting to where she needs to be, and the lineup is mind boggling: Breanna, Moriah, Morgan, Kia, Napheesa, Gabby, Natalie, Saniya and Katie Lou. Doris Burke and Dave O'Brien argument about UConn's lack of size and the performance of Brionna Jones making SC a difficult match, now takes on a completely different tenor. Natalie will neutralize Alaina Coates and Breanna will dominate Aja Wilson. Sorry women's college basketball; your worst nightmare just got a whole lot scarier.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Natalie's performance is mucher better than I expect.
So does Sanyia, she looks so confident and good.
We must have watched different games. Just talking about offense here. Both Saniya and Courtney did not take a shot in the first half, despite Saniya having three open looks. KLS didn't play at all in the first half. Gabby showed what subs need to do: get in the game, and make things happen, don't defer to other players. I think Gabby had 10 in the first half. She had some nice mid range shots. It might not be fair to compare Saniya or Courtney or KLS to Gabby, but that's what Geno is looking for, when you get in the game, make something happen offensively. The second half was better, but most of the starters were out of the game by that point.

Definitely Natalie made things happen when she got in. She made the most of her playing time. And Geno said that Nat was excited to get in there. Almost as excited as we were to see her in there. The future is brighter.

GG

Reaction Score
Butler was impressive, and aching has looked great.

Reaction Score
We must have watched different games. Just talking about offense here. Both Saniya and Courtney did not take a shot in the first half, despite Saniya having three open looks. KLS didn't play at all in the first half. Gabby showed what subs need to do: get in the game, and make things happen, don't defer to other players. I think Gabby had 10 in the first half. She had some nice mid range shots. It might not be fair to compare Saniya or Courtney or KLS to Gabby, but that's what Geno is looking for, when you get in the game, make something happen offensively. The second half was better, but most of the starters were out of the game by that point.
I watched UConn-Cincinnati game. I don't know which game you were watching?
In offense, Chong scored 13 pts and Butler 11 pts. And you are not happy of their offense???

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I am very impressed with Butler's shot from the top of the key. Very smooth and fluid, and she releases the ball so high - it's impossible to block. That will be a huge help to open up the paint, I didn't know that was part of her game.

Reaction Score
After watching Natalie play for awhile, I became suspicious and started to look for signs of purple hair and dancing ability. :)
Oh Yes, I miss big MaMa so much.
Believe me Butler will be next Dolson.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I watched UConn-Cincinnati game. I don't know which game you were watching?
In offense, Chong scored 13 pts and Butler 11 pts. And you are not happy of their offense???
Next time, you should probably read my post before responding. Where did I say I wasn't happy with Butler's offense? How many points did Chong score in the first half? How many shots did Chong take in the first half? How many open shots did Chong have in the first half, that she didn't take? Why do I have to ask these questions?

Reaction Score
This Nat is a lot bigger than that gnat. It's only one game. It's only Cincinnati. It's against much smaller players. It's not who they played, but the skill Natalie displayed that will make them nearly unbeatable. Add in Katie Lou getting to where she needs to be, and the lineup is mind boggling: Breanna, Moriah, Morgan, Kia, Napheesa, Gabby, Natalie, Saniya and Katie Lou. Doris Burke and Dave O'Brien argument about UConn's lack of size and the performance of Brionna Jones making SC a difficult match, now takes on a completely different tenor. Natalie will neutralize Alaina Coates and Breanna will dominate Aja Wilson. Sorry women's college basketball; your worst nightmare just got a whole lot scarier.

Reaction Score
Next time, you should probably read my post before responding. Where did I say I wasn't happy with Butler's offense? How many points did Chong score in the first half? How many shots did Chong take in the first half? How many open shots did Chong have in the first half, that she didn't take? Why do I have to ask these questions?
I am sorry that you only watch the first half of the game and get the conclusion.
Chong is 4-6 and 3-5 from 3 pts, and 2-2 FT overall. Now you tell me how many shot, open or not Chong missed in the first half. You do the math....

Reaction Score
After watching Natalie play for awhile, I became suspicious and started to look for signs of purple hair and dancing ability. :)

IMHO Butler looked like Dolson running down the court. Not bad for a 6'5" big who has not played for a year plus. Like Dolson, Nat has a nose for the ball. Also, she has good hands and a nice shot. Last year Stokes mentioned that Butler was working on a 15 ft. shot and was pleased with her development. We saw it tonight! Nat also has good body position on boxing out (like Dolson) cause neither one of them have the ups. She played the two man game with Chong and can pass the ball. Butler has some instincts on defense and blocked some shots too. Anticipation and positioning will have to continue to improve since these two skills will have to make up for slow feet (she can't have everything.)
I really like her team work and BBIQ. I see her developing into a nice player this year and will be used off the bench. Next year, Tuck and Butler will be the bigs, Collier-Gabby & Lou will be the 3 (sometime 2 or 4), and Nurse-Chong-Danger will be the point or 2 guard. Looks to me like 7 or 8 really good players to work with next year. In fact, didn't Geno have 5 of those players on the court at the same time during the game? Posters in the summer mentioned that Geno should do that sort of thing. Looks like they were right.

Reaction Score
Nice post about Nat... watch the entire game on my smart tv via my tablet and espn3, and I jumped out of my chair with excitdment.

I see shades of Dolson in year 2, after Dolson she'd some pounds and had some serious conditioning. Natalie doesn't have those obstacles because she sat out and worked out a year.

She moves great, up and down the court and in the paint. Sure, it was Cincinnati, but they had a few bigs really pushing and shoving and she responded well. She has a soft touch with those 10 - 15 for jumpers. She also keep moving to get position. (Except when she got caught for 3 seconds.)

Saniya and Katie Lou looked good, which really helps share the load.

UCONN just got a little taller tonite and should match up with South Carolina a little better.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I attribute Natalie's debut and success to one thing and one thing only; the Biffster's Christmas song!! All thanks to Biff.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Very smart move by Geno putting Butler in a game where she could excel without much pressure. This is how it will be for most of the second half of the season . Butler looked really good. Her turn around jumper is excellent and a couple of blocks. Yeah Cinny was small but this was a good tuneup for her after not playing for so long. BTW cha Chong cha Chong Cha Chong from deep. We need more treys well we just may have found her. In the last two games Saniya is playing with confidence. She is playing like she did in high school. I think UConn just got a lot better.

T

TroyHouse66

I am very impressed with Butler's shot from the top of the key. Very smooth and fluid, and she releases the ball so high - it's impossible to block. That will be a huge help to open up the paint, I didn't know that was part of her game.
It is now!

Reaction Score
Watching Geno's press conference when talking about Natalie, said she had a nice game, will only get better. That should send chills up and down the backs, of all the other coaches in the women's game. Geno doesn't make those kind of statements often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom