The multiple threads thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The multiple threads thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
they lost this game on Sunday night ... when they all jumped around like they won it all ... they acted like that was their goal ... if they won on a buzzer beater, I could understand, but I wouldve been disappointed in UCONN if we celebrated so much after a semi-final win ...

Congratulations to ND, because they beat us 3X and were clearly better than us. But I hope they have bigger goals next year.

we don't cut down nets winning the regional. I am thinking that we likely wouldn't get too crazy getting to the final....not sure though.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So I guess you are another fan that doesn't think the way the refs call a game can affect whether a team makes plays when it counts. It takes a huge amount of mental toughness to continue to fight and stay focused when a game is being called so unfairly.
I watched our game again last night, and sure there were some missed calls, but it was at least equal, if not slightly leaning towards us.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
So I guess you are another fan that doesn't think the way the refs call a game can affect whether a team makes plays when it counts. It takes a huge amount of mental toughness to continue to fight and stay focused when a game is being called so unfairly.

well that's a bit of a jump.....

Reaction Score
Gotta respect ND for getting into the final game two years in a row. But I had to smile when McGraw said her team was handicapped by foul trouble. Live by the sword, die by the sword, Muffet. And I can't say I felt bad that Nasty went 0-11 from the field.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Gotta respect ND for getting into the final game two years in a row. But I had to smile when McGraw said her team was handicapped by foul trouble. Live by the sword, die by the sword, Muffet. And I can't say I felt bad that Nasty went 0-11 from the field.

I love how "nasty" plays the game. She could be on my team anytime.

Reaction Score
It looked to me that Mallory might have suffered a broken collar bone near the end of the game. Yet, she went back into the game one handed after it was a lost cause. The announcers opined that she might have gone in to come back out with crowd recognition, but there was a whistle and I think she stayed in?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Looks like there was a brouhaha over Muffet's comment on Griner . From an ESPN story:http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...ifies-comment-brittney-griner-playing-ability

McGraw was asked by a newspaper reporter whether she has ever seen a player who can impact the game down low as Griner does.

She responded, "No, I think she's one of a kind. I think she's like a guy playing with women."
Griner responded: "I take it as a compliment."

But it sounds like there were comments made in the media and Muffet issued a clarifying comment which took ESPN to task:

"I am disappointed that ESPN would so clearly take my comment about Brittney out of context," the statement read. "I would hope that it was clear to those in attendance at Tuesday's press conference that my comments were meant to be complimentary, and in reference to her style of play and her dominance in our game, nothing more. Any attempt by others to read anything more into that comment is wrong, malicious and incredibly insulting to Brittney, Kim [Mulkey] and the Baylor women's basketball program, and it's a poor attempt by some to try and take away from what was a well-played national championship game. I have held, and continue to hold Brittney and the Baylor women's basketball in the highest regard and I congratulate them on winning the title this evening."

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score

Making excuses is folly and frankly pointless. The team will reload and fight again. BTW, the refs didn't forget to box out. The refs didn't pass the ball near the end of regulation. The refs didn't choose to play five guards instead of having an extra post who might have secured an extra rebound. The team doesn't need to their hang heads at all. They fought valiantly, did their best and came up a little short against a team who played well with more consistency. Blaming the refs for a few plays when the players had the whole game to be great is covering up for players who don't need it. Much to look fwd to. Hope the Huskies come back and blow the doors off of ND next year every time.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
But it sounds like there were comments made in the media and Muffet issued a clarifying comment which took ESPN to task:

"I am disappointed that ESPN would so clearly take my comment about Brittney out of context," the statement read. "I would hope that it was clear to those in attendance at Tuesday's press conference that my comments were meant to be complimentary, and in reference to her style of play and her dominance in our game, nothing more. Any attempt by others to read anything more into that comment is wrong, malicious and incredibly insulting to Brittney, Kim [Mulkey] and the Baylor women's basketball program, and it's a poor attempt by some to try and take away from what was a well-played national championship game. I have held, and continue to hold Brittney and the Baylor women's basketball in the highest regard and I congratulate them on winning the title this evening."

I'd say well done Muffet....not that it will affect ESPN's sensationalistic style of coverage at all.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Muffet should have been more careful to begin with. I doubt she had any ill intent, but it was poorly phrased.

Reaction Score
I think Muffet should have been more careful to begin with. I doubt she had any ill intent, but it was poorly phrased.
They said the same thing about Diana and she said she took that as a compliment.why the big deal ?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm sure Muffet regrets her choice of words given what has been said about Griner over the years.

BTW, here's a blurb from a USA Today story about Taurasi after the 2004 championship:

"Guys say 'D' plays like a guy. I don't know if there's a better basketball compliment," Connecticut coach Geno Auriemma says.

When Taurasi is told she plays like a guy, she's flattered but says the model needs to be updated.

"Growing up, I watched Magic and Michael, and I wanted to play like them," she says. "These days, I don't think you can say that anymore. I hope people will say, 'You play like Seimone Augustus, Alana Beard, Chamique Holdsclaw.' We don't have to use male players to hold women to a higher standard anymore. Women's basketball has come that far."

Reaction Score
Oh come on now! Stop with all this politically correct BS. Muffet was complimenting Britnney and ESPN was throwing gas to sensationalize the comment. ESPN should clean up its act.

Reaction Score
I love how "nasty" plays the game. She could be on my team anytime.

Each to his own, as my late father-in-law said, but I'd rather a player who didn't rely on crashing into the lane, getting blocking calls from refs, and making a living on the foul line. Wasn't a coincidence that writers were talking about her wearing a helmet and shoulder pads before the UConn game.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Here's the complete quote from Muffet on Griner, including her suggestion that there have been guards who've had skills you don't see in the women's game:

"I think she's one of a kind," McGraw said. "I think she's like a guy playing with women. It's just there's so many things that she can do that I've not seen a lot of women -- well, really, you know, there's been some guards that had some skill like that. But as a post player she's the best I've ever seen.

"There really wasn't anything we could do," McGraw said of Griner. "We brought the double team. And she just -- she made great shots. She's a great player. She was unstoppable, I thought, for the size and the players that we had in. It would have been great to see Devereaux play for 39 minutes. But I'm not sure it would have changed a lot. She just -- she's so big. She's hard to stop."

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Maybe Im missing something here. ND beat us 3 times this season. The first game we lead and Bria drove the lane for a layup Diggins reached around hit her arm, no foul the the game changed. This was a continuation of last seasons final 4 game where there we calls made on Stef that the replay clearly showed she didnt commit. These calls continued this season. The no call charge with seconds left allowed ND one more game. How can you say we didnt make plays when we did they werent called. I am very angry at the outcome of the game. UConn did what they had to do at the end of the game to win. ND was shakehened and the no call cost UConn a chance to play Baylor. Gotta wonder why these calls and no calls have continued since last seasons FF into this season??

Next season will be a battle with Baylor as for everybody else we play it shouldnt be much of a contest.

Reaction Score
This result of Baylor clobbering Notre Dame in the game last night made my day. It gave me such a severe, terminal and irreversible case of schadenfreude. Oh, the joy of such derived pleasure!
Alas, Diggins will never win a WCBB national championship.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Hope so...will probably be a close game. Huskies are going to need a finisher.
The game will be in Hartford next year. UCONN played at Baylor this year. we certainly lose a little more than they do (Hayes vs. Condrey, Field, and Palmer) but we also add MUCH more than they do. the game will be early in the year. it will be interesting to see how good our freshmen are by that time...

and FWIW i agree there was NOTHING wrong with Muffett's comments. if ESPN took it to a stupid place, shame on them. Muffett did not say "i think Griner is a guy", she said that Griner plays like a guy. good grief - much ado about nada IMHO...

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Looks like there was a brouhaha over Muffet's comment on Griner . From an ESPN story:http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...ifies-comment-brittney-griner-playing-ability

McGraw was asked by a newspaper reporter whether she has ever seen a player who can impact the game down low as Griner does.

She responded, "No, I think she's one of a kind. I think she's like a guy playing with women."
Griner responded: "I take it as a compliment."

Well done, Muffett.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I'm sure Muffet regrets her choice of words given what has been said about Griner over the years.

BTW, here's a blurb from a USA Today story about Taurasi after the 2004 championship:

"Guys say 'D' plays like a guy. I don't know if there's a better basketball compliment," Connecticut coach Geno Auriemma says.

When Taurasi is told she plays like a guy, she's flattered but says the model needs to be updated.

"Growing up, I watched Magic and Michael, and I wanted to play like them," she says. "These days, I don't think you can say that anymore. I hope people will say, 'You play like Seimone Augustus, Alana Beard, Chamique Holdsclaw.' We don't have to use male players to hold women to a higher standard anymore. Women's basketball has come that far."
Love that last comment by DT.

Reaction Score
I recall we didn't like this when it appeared that it was directed towards us. Why do unto others? It seems unsportsmanlike to me
Because we didn't say it TO any players or within their earshot. It is only among fan-friends here. I would say it at home to my husband or to my UConn friends, but I would not say it in earshot of a player. So I think it is OK here.

Reaction Score

Such a statement is always meant as a compliment, but given the context of the player being complimented, I agree that the words had to be chosen more carefully in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom