The multiple threads thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The multiple threads thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Looks like there was a brouhaha over Muffet's comment on Griner . From an ESPN story:http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...ifies-comment-brittney-griner-playing-ability

"I am disappointed that ESPN would so clearly take my comment about Brittney out of context," the statement read. "I would hope that it was clear to those in attendance at Tuesday's press conference that my comments were meant to be complimentary, and in reference to her style of play and her dominance in our game, nothing more. Any attempt by others to read anything more into that comment is wrong, malicious and incredibly insulting to Brittney, Kim [Mulkey] and the Baylor women's basketball program, and it's a poor attempt by some to try and take away from what was a well-played national championship game. I have held, and continue to hold Brittney and the Baylor women's basketball in the highest regard and I congratulate them on winning the title this evening."

Wait....What? ESPN taking something out of context? Throwing gasoline on the dying embers of the issue that Kim mentioned before the game (Twitter comments about BG) in an attempt to ignite an inferno? Nah. That's not the ESPN that I know.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Making excuses is folly and frankly pointless. The team will reload and fight again. BTW, the refs didn't forget to box out. The refs didn't pass the ball near the end of regulation. The refs didn't choose to play five guards instead of having an extra post who might have secured an extra rebound. The team doesn't need to their hang heads at all. They fought valiantly, did their best and came up a little short against a team who played well with more consistency. Blaming the refs for a few plays when the players had the whole game to be great is covering up for players who don't need it. Much to look fwd to. Hope the Huskies come back and blow the doors off of ND next year every time.

+1, bschwartz.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Making excuses is folly and frankly pointless. The team will reload and fight again. BTW, the refs didn't forget to box out. The refs didn't pass the ball near the end of regulation. The refs didn't choose to play five guards instead of having an extra post who might have secured an extra rebound. The team doesn't need to their hang heads at all. They fought valiantly, did their best and came up a little short against a team who played well with more consistency. Blaming the refs for a few plays when the players had the whole game to be great is covering up for players who don't need it. Much to look fwd to. Hope the Huskies come back and blow the doors off of ND next year every time.

Well stated. Nothing sillier than to whine about refs when you get beaten fair and square. Time to reload and take them to the woodshed next time we play. And the time after that, And again. And again.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Lotta folks on this board soundin' a whole lot like a lotta them folks over yonder, more's the pity.
Since this thread has several mini-threads, could you specify who you mean by "Lotta folks"?

Reaction Score
They said the same thing about Diana and she said she took that as a compliment.why the big deal ?
Bad timing. Kim Mulkey had just spoken of what Griner has had to deal with with people taunting her about her gender. I believe 100% that Muffett was complimenting Griner but her timing could have been better.

Reaction Score
they lost this game on Sunday night ... when they all jumped around like they won it all ... they acted like that was their goal ... if they won on a buzzer beater, I could understand, but I wouldve been disappointed in UCONN if we celebrated so much after a semi-final win ...

Congratulations to ND, because they beat us 3X and were clearly better than us. But I hope they have bigger goals next year.
They were clearly better than us????? They beat us three times this year but two of those times, Notre Dame at home during the regular season and the other night we were leading with seconds left in regulation and kinda BLEW IT. Your remarks make it sound pretty black and white and it wasn't at all.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Saying that someone plays like a guy is a compliment. I have thought that two women played like guys because of their strength, coordination, athleticism, and form. They are Chamique Holdsclaw and Maya Moore.

My problem with Muffet's choice of words was the timing. Her statement came one day after Kim pointed out the taunting that Britney takes, including the questioning of her gender. Muffet's comment would have been better said some other way.

The difference between Britney and Diana (or anyone else) is that Diana is not at the 99.9999th percentile of the height distribution, and her voice is not nearly as deep as Britney's. I have some friends who are casual fans who remark that Britney looks and sounds like a guy. People never said that about Diana.

Reaction Score
Oh come on now! Stop with all this politically correct BS. Muffet was complimenting Britnney and ESPN was throwing gas to sensationalize the comment. ESPN should clean up its act.

Seems to me that ESPN took the TMZ route on this one....pretty sad

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Because we didn't say it TO any players or within their earshot. It is only among fan-friends here. I would say it at home to my husband or to my UConn friends, but I would not say it in earshot of a player. So I think it is OK here.

families of players, friends, and fans of other teams read this board. as such we will have to agree to disagree

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
families of players, friends, and fans of other teams read this board. as such we will have to agree to disagree

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Still a big difference from players yelling it for other players to hear and fans saying it to each other. If ND players actually come to a uconn board after losing a national championship, I think they know what to expect. After watching the video from their locker room after they beat uconn, well let's just say it left a bad taste in my mouth and I wasn't pulling for them... and I won't be upset that Diggins leaves without a ring.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Still a big difference from players yelling it for other players to hear and fans saying it to each other. If ND players actually come to a uconn board after losing a national championship, I think they know what to expect. After watching the video from their locker room after they beat uconn, well let's just say it left a bad taste in my mouth and I wasn't pulling for them... and I won't be upset that Diggins leaves without a ring.

Regardless of how you transmit it or where...the message remained the same. I don't support the message,and I feel that repeating something that was so vile to us regardless of the situation inappropriate. The lesson should be that we learn from other's mistakes. That is not happening here. The mistake instead is repeated.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Regardless of how you transmit it or where...the message remained the same. I don't support the message,and I feel that repeating something that was so vile to us regardless of the situation inappropriate. The lesson should be that we learn from other's mistakes. That is not happening here. The mistake instead is repeated.
Abuse and cruelty is what it is whatever it is spoken or repeated. In ever circumstance it must be denounced clearly and rejected.

Reaction Score
Wow. So a thread titled "it must s*** to be ND" by a fan on a fan message board constitutes abuse and cruelty? Please.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Since this thread has several mini-threads, could you specify who you mean by "Lotta folks"?
Don't have time to go back over the thread and list them all, but just in general all the schadenfreudistas. The Irish played hard, clean basketball and beat us three out of four. No need for petty nastiness. Next year the situation will be very, very different.

Reaction Score
Really these are seniors who gave it their all and actually played in the final game of the season. They just happened to run into the most dominant force in WCBB. I'm not going to sit here and act as of I'm a big fan of their team, but they were a tough bunch that was fearless and really competed every time out. For that I can really respect them and their efforts these past couple of years.

they were fearless in every game this season except for one and you could see it on the floor and that was Baylor they were intimadated

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
Maybe they should have dug, scratched and mauled Baylor like they did UCONN.

we got enough scratches and mauling from the Ogwumikes... they really have long nails... BG and destiny were really beat up and their arms were all taped up after the game. I guess they really wanted to win... ouch!@

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
Personally. I strongly believe Baylor will lose early in the season next year...against us!
i think it will be a tough game, but our girls will be mostly seniors, we have a senior Griner and a junior Sims.. and no one else does.

We get a great wing player in A Prince.. and a mcdonalds all american as a backup pointguard to sims... not to mention a full team coming in (all positions in top 100) im happy to be a bear.

hope we can recruit the hell outta the 2013 class ... we need it to compete with your sophomores and seniors that year.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
They're up there, but Tennessee, Rutgers, and Syracuse still rank ahead of ND in my view.
neither of which have a chance at either beating UCONN or playing them in the the near future.. that make's so much sense for a rival.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
Looks like there was a brouhaha over Muffet's comment on Griner . From an ESPN story:http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...ifies-comment-brittney-griner-playing-ability

McGraw was asked by a newspaper reporter whether she has ever seen a player who can impact the game down low as Griner does.

She responded, "No, I think she's one of a kind. I think she's like a guy playing with women."
Griner responded: "I take it as a compliment."

But it sounds like there were comments made in the media and Muffet issued a clarifying comment which took ESPN to task:

"I am disappointed that ESPN would so clearly take my comment about Brittney out of context," the statement read. "I would hope that it was clear to those in attendance at Tuesday's press conference that my comments were meant to be complimentary, and in reference to her style of play and her dominance in our game, nothing more. Any attempt by others to read anything more into that comment is wrong, malicious and incredibly insulting to Brittney, Kim [Mulkey] and the Baylor women's basketball program, and it's a poor attempt by some to try and take away from what was a well-played national championship game. I have held, and continue to hold Brittney and the Baylor women's basketball in the highest regard and I congratulate them on winning the title this evening."

she should have known not to make sucha remark. plain and simple. Why do women's athlethics need to be validated by men's abilities? it's women vs. women... so there's no need to go there.. especially when it's well known that Griner is taunted horribly by opponents and social media questioning her gender.

muffet should have been smarter that that.

seems to me like she made a dumb comparison and back peddeled for a second when she started talking about other players having that skill in the past.

Reaction Score
they were fearless in every game this season except for one and you could see it on the floor and that was Baylor they were intimadated
I agree 5sided, Baylor looked intimidated in one game, the game was played at home against Uconn. Luckily, they pulled it out with a 5 point win. Phew!! That win gave them confidence, if we can beat Uconn, we can beat anyone.

Reaction Score
she should have known not to make sucha remark. plain and simple. Why do women's athlethics need to be validated by men's abilities? it's women vs. women... so there's no need to go there.. especially when it's well known that Griner is taunted horribly by opponents and social media questioning her gender.

seems to me like she made a dumb comparison and back peddeled for a second when she started talking about other players having that skill in the past.

I agree. Muffet meant what she said!!! She only explained her clarification for public relations. I am happy Baylor whipped them. ND has never been a BE supporter except when it suits them, i.e. BB. Their football program could have helped the BE if they only play in the BE.

DrDos

Skimmer
Reaction Score
Sorry, mods. Couldn't resist.

► I feel their pain!

titanic_sinking1.jpg

Reaction Score
I agree 5sided, Baylor looked intimidated in one game, the game was played at home against Uconn. Luckily, they pulled it out with a 5 point win. Phew!! That win gave them confidence, if we can beat Uconn, we can beat anyone.

Muffet is a class act and when you are being interviewed sometimes every coach says something that you can pick apart..you have to remember that people in the media are there to sell stories and they will grab anything.when you have to start picking your words what is the sense of talking..it was a compliment nothing else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom