The Machinery Is in Motion to Postpone the 2020 College Football Season... | Page 10 | The Boneyard

The Machinery Is in Motion to Postpone the 2020 College Football Season...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If there's so many, name two. I just hear boilerplate.

You already are lost in your own nonsense. You said to pantz "None what you stated is predicated on the notion that young adults cannot make informed decisions." Yet his first example, mandatory seat belt laws, is just that.

So yeah lets just ignore the regular COVid testing, regular spacing/limited socializing within the team and outside the team, constant health monitoring, tracing when needed and the elevated cleaning/sanitizing for equipment and facilities.

This is comparable to participation in other high risk sports, not seat belt laws. High risk sports like skydiving, mountain biking, triathlons, etc, In none of those high risk activities does society dictate that young adults are incapable of make informed decisions. And no surprise, participation in those sports almost always requires a waiver.

What's nonsense is calling coaches killers. What's tiresome is a society that can't decide if young adults are indeed adults or children. I think we have made a mistake with our low expectations and mixed messages about being a young adult.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Finally the adults have stepped into the room. Cancelling was the only option since March... If they had been smart they could have figured out in a June maybe how to have a season in spring... instead they'll use February to do that.

Reaction Score
So glad we're not in the AAC. I understand the culture of Independence and football intensity driving the southern conferences to push forward and don't totally fault them for that. But a smaller conference as spread out as the, AAC seeking to capitalize on an opportunity to fill the programming void of Big Ten and PAC 12 seems more cynically calculated. As stated before, no problem with trying to make this work if the data supports it, but for the sake of coaches, staff and other students I'd probably err on the side of caution. As Neuheisel and Childers just said, "Red is playing and Blue is not". We live in 2 worlds. If a team comes back from a road trip and brings the virus back to campus with them watch out. If the NCAA had any stones they would require Universities participating to provide the same testing/tracing to all students as the athletes get.

Reaction Score
Coaches think they can contain the risk - but they also know they certainly can’t eliminate it.

Personally would I play this fall? Probably would give it a go, but I’m the edge ready to bail as soon as my team had problems.

As for the student athletes arguing on tweeter, this part of the unintended consequences of student organization and student associations. As the idea or organizing comes together it’s going to bring a lot of internal tension to the teams. It’s going to do some good things and some things people will wish never became part of the dynamic. Most kids are there to ball, not there to get wrapped up in a work movement and that will create issues.

The ACC medical board and its chair have already been proven wrong within its own conference. Unless having 37 players test positive is an acceptable risk.

Reaction Score
What a fiasco.

& the modern leadership of colleges has finally had its pants pulled down.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The ACC medical board and its chair have already been proven wrong within its own conference. Unless having 37 players test positive is an acceptable risk.

37 conference wide? Not great, not horrible. It’s a virus- results will vary. Didn’t know the medical board was making guarantees.

Reaction Score
Unsure about ACC positive COVID19 results conference-wide, but Clemson alone acknowledged 37 football players tested positive in their football program alone (reported in some article regarding their player redshirting due to COVID19). Just 1 ACC school = 37 + results.

With several ACC schools in current COVID19 deep-red zone states and with so many ACC players in other states from FL, GA, SC, etc, the ACC must have had more than 37 total test positive.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Heck...have to test with students back...FSU's lab processed 1,000 tests last week and is ramping up for 1,000 a day...

If a school doesn't have a plan...do not open for students.

Reaction Score
Heck...have to test with students back...FSU's lab processed 1,000 tests last week and is ramping up for 1,000 a day...

If a school doesn't have a plan...do not open for students.

Ramp up? The goal?

I mean, that's just not going to work.

Reaction Score
... that's just not going to work.
FSU enrollment: 40K+ (excluding faculty, administration, other school & local business employees, etc).
Even after FSU tests occurring every undefined # of days, potential SARS-2 carriers returning to classrooms, labs, dorms, dining halls, apartments, etc. for up to an entire day. That ignores many more thousands floating about campus and Tallahasee between tests.
Correct: "that's just not going to work" (for FSU nor the community)

Nationwide, we desperately need far more FDA-cleared, rapid diagnostic and antibody test kits enabling accurate results in <1 hour. Not 24 hour turnaround!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
That was one program E4.
Are you referring to the situation at Clemson? https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article243867197.html

Its seems Clemson hasn't taken things very seriously going from 2, to 19 to 37 cases on the football team.

Anyway, why are you directly this at me? I've never said football should be played this fall. Instead I have said I understand the great efforts that are being made to try to have football. For the record, I'll be stunned if they get more than 3 games in with any of these conferences based on today's COVid environment. And I think most all of the northern schools still in this thing pull the plug on the eve of game 1 if it even gets that far.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sooo...a player or two several sits out 10 days....

Why do I sense that UConn fans are almost gleeful about the pospect of a football season cancellation....are actually pulling for that to happen..

Reaction Score
Rapid test results with on campus labs do what they are supposed to to do....identify folks who are to be quarantined...

Reaction Score

Why do I sense that UConn fans are almost gleeful about the pospect of a football season cancellation....are actually pulling for that to happen..
You forget we had our basketball seasons and ncaa tournaments cut short/eliminated. FB centric fanbases seem to forget that and take it as a personal affront when it is suggested not wise to carry out a season. You have all FCS, Division 2, 3, 2 P5, and G5, conferences say already it isn't wise and we still have people thinking that super duper ability to test is the key.

Reaction Score
Are you referring to the situation at Clemson? https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article243867197.html

Its seems Clemson hasn't taken things very seriously going from 2, to 19 to 37 cases on the football team.

Anyway, why are you directly this at me? I've never said football should be played this fall. Instead I have said I understand the great efforts that are being made to try to have football. For the record, I'll be stunned if they get more than 3 games in with any of these conferences based on today's COVid environment. And I think most all of the northern schools still in this thing pull the plug on the eve of game 1 if it even gets that far.
It wasn't meant to be directed at you E4. It was just the comment that the coaches think they can mitigate... So I guess it was directed at the coaches through you. A conduit so to speak.

Reaction Score

We were pretty gleeful about the schools on the schedule this year, home schedule not withstanding. Maybe because the state's covid case curve is better than most and there is some angst about things that may reverse that including any school opening scenario? I dont know how any G5 member has the resources to adequately address this like a FSU.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

No offense, but we've had a bunch of rednecks gleefully snickering at our "demise" for years now, especially in the face of conference realignment. Let us enjoy a few days of schadenfreude, since we have already taken our medicine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom