The Machinery Is in Motion to Postpone the 2020 College Football Season... | Page 9 | The Boneyard

The Machinery Is in Motion to Postpone the 2020 College Football Season...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Why not?
It completely disrespects young adults and their own choices and completely ignores all the efforts that are being made here. It’s also just more of the bigger societal discourse problem we have where we grossly overstate situations to make points.

And fwiw I don’t think fall ball is going to work.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Because the coaches are ignoring what the presidents can’t.

there were actually a few tweets yesterday from the P12 players that signed calling out other players for their hypocrisy on these issues.

Coaches think they can contain the risk - but they also know they certainly can’t eliminate it.

Personally would I play this fall? Probably would give it a go, but I’m the edge ready to bail as soon as my team had problems.

As for the student athletes arguing on tweeter, this part of the unintended consequences of student organization and student associations. As the idea of organizing comes together it will bring a lot of internal tension to the teams. It will do some good things and some things people will wish never became part of the dynamic. Most kids are there to ball, not there to get wrapped up in a work movement and that will create issues.

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

So major conferences like the B1G and Pac12 that are made up of major state universities that are more prestigious and have more resources are shutting it down, but the AAC is a go....ok. Let's not even talk about the geography issue....if the northern schools of the ACC were possibly going to be issues, how in the world is Temple and maybe Cincy, going to go to COVID hotbeds like TX and FL, let alone the other Southern states.

Reaction Score
Coaches think they can contain the risk - but they also know they certainly can’t eliminate it.

Personally would I play this fall? Probably would give it a go, but I’m the edge ready to bail as soon as my team had problems.

As for the student athletes arguing on tweeter, this part of the unintended consequences of student organization and student associations. As the idea or organizing comes together it’s going to bring a lot of internal tension to the teams. It’s going to do some good things and some things people will wish never became part of the dynamic. Most kids are there to ball, not there to get wrapped up in a work movement and that will create issues.

My daughter is playing premier soccer and has a game tonight. I am not against athletes playing their sports. But when you're in charge of students and you're compelling them in some way (which the coaches are doing undeniably) then ethical questions become involved, especially when there's this much money at stake. So, keeping safe for local practices when there are 85 kids involved is one thing, but playing a traveling schedule over state lines is quite another.

I still say the particular politics of each state are determining what should be a unanimous decision.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
My daughter is playing premier soccer and has a game tonight. I am not against athletes playing their sports. But when you're in charge of students and you're compelling them in some way (which the coaches are doing undeniably) then ethical questions become involved, especially when there's this much money at stake. So, keeping safe for local practices when there are 85 kids involved is one thing, but playing a traveling schedule over state lines is quite another.

I still say the particular politics of each state are determining what should be a unanimous decision.
If there are coaches that aren’t approaching this with the integrity we have seen from Edsall then they should be ashamed of themselves.

Reaction Score
Financially, there is so much at stake for the college football talking heads, announcers, writers,... it’s hard to see how they can be unbiased as most are probably out of a job if college football isn’t played this fall.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Earlier this week...

That sounds more like a athletic conditioning issue more than a long-term (or even short-term) health issue.

He would hardly be the first player to get any sort of viral infection, or an injury in general, and the recovery took him out of practice/playing shape. You shut them down so they don't get hurt.

Reaction Score
That sounds more like a athletic conditioning issue more than a long-term (or even short-term) health issue.

He would hardly be the first player to get any sort of viral infection, or an injury in general, and the recovery took him out of practice/playing shape. You shut them down so they don't get hurt.
Sure... they are other stories out there w/ typical writer/fan speculation but on the surface it’s seems like he has multiple medical/health issues playing out post-Covid. Be interesting to see how he fares over time.

Reaction Score
Any chance that Nebraska, maybe Ohio St and a few other football-centric B1G, Pac-12, and ACC (I see the tobacco road Presidents eventually shutting down football at some point in August) joining a majority of SEC and XII schools to form a 'temporary' football conference this fall?

Reaction Score
Any chance that Nebraska, maybe Ohio St and a few other football-centric B1G, Pac-12, and ACC (I see the tobacco road Presidents eventually shutting down football at some point in August) joining a majority of SEC and XII schools to form a 'temporary' football conference this fall?
Doesn’t sound like it (from Big10 thread):

>>When Warren was asked specifically by Yahoo Sports if Nebraska could play college football this fall, he gave an answer that would make his hardline predecessor nod with approval.

“No,” he said, firmly. “Not and be a member of the Big Ten Conference.”

Warren’s concise Nebraska rebuttal is a nice window into the bottom line he used to help guide the decision that may ultimately define his career as Big Ten commissioner. He politely told Nebraska that if it goes rogue, it can pack it where the corn doesn’t husk. And the league would be happy to keep its $50 million cut and share it with those who play nice.<<

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

The B1G has already told Nebraska they can kiss their membership goodbye if they do.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
If you believe 18-21 year olds can’t make this decision about playing ball then you must believe the voting age too low. If they can’t make one section, how can they make any decisions? (I’ll save you the key strokes, I think the drinking age should be rolled back to 19.)

Calling coaches that want to give it a go irresponsible killers which is basically your view isn’t fair rhetoric.
Sometimes we make decisions for the general public. Both for their own safety and the safety of others.
  • Seat belts
  • Child safety seats
  • Pedestrian walk areas
  • Bicycle and/or motorcycle helmets
  • Operating under the influence
  • Speed limits
Many more and I'm sure any personal injury lawyers on the site can rattle them off like they would their kids' names.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It completely disrespects young adults and their own choices and completely ignores all the efforts that are being made here.
The "young adults" don't have a real choice. And what efforts are being made besides whistling in the dark?

Reaction Score
My hunch is the Big 12 and ACC will play some games then give it up. SEC will soldier on. I could see 5he ACC splitting with BC, Syracuse forced out by state leaders and maybe a couple of Virginia, Duke and Carolina and NC State ultimately coming to their senses. If one of the NC schools goes out the remainder will follow. My money is on Duke.
And after these boys play that 5th game and then they cancel the season cause to many have to quarantine due to exposure all those kids that played and blew their redshirts will be pissed and another problem will now start!! What a mess.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Sometimes we make decisions for the general public. Both for their own safety and the safety of others.
  • Seat belts
  • Child safety seats
  • Pedestrian walk areas
  • Bicycle and/or motorcycle helmets
  • Operating under the influence
  • Speed limits
Many more and I'm sure any personal injury lawyers on the site can rattle them off like they would their kids' names.

Well now we are going down the rabbit hole. None what you stated is predicated on the notion that young adults cannot make informed decisions. With every reg you sited 18 year olds are governed the same as 50 year olds. Child seat bet laws govern minors. The only reg I can quickly think of that splits differently is renting a car and frankly the ACLU should be pushing the case that 18-24 year olds should be able to rent cars probably with larger security deposits.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The "young adults" don't have a real choice. And what efforts are being made besides whistling in the dark?
What efforts? OMG - okay whatever. No point in having a discussion with those that willfully ignore what is in plain sight.

Reaction Score

This is pretty much where I am. I continue to believe that the risks to the players having a season may be less than spending time in the general student population. But, that’s besides the point. There are moral, ethical, legal and public relation issues that these schools have to address and not playing is the right call.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What efforts? OMG - okay whatever. No point in having a discussion with those that willfully ignore what is in plain sight.
If there's so many, name two. I just hear boilerplate.

You are already are lost in your own nonsense. You said to pantz "None what you stated is predicated on the notion that young adults cannot make informed decisions." Yet his first example, mandatory seat belt laws, is just that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom