The Machinery Is in Motion to Postpone the 2020 College Football Season... | Page 8 | The Boneyard

The Machinery Is in Motion to Postpone the 2020 College Football Season...

Reaction Score
My hunch is the Big 12 and ACC will play some games then give it up. SEC will soldier on. I could see 5he ACC splitting with BC, Syracuse forced out by state leaders and maybe a couple of Virginia, Duke and Carolina and NC State ultimately coming to their senses. If one of the NC schools goes out the remainder will follow. My money is on Duke.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I’ll just put this here because I don’t think we need a new thread for either one of these schools; Army gonna ball this fall... let’s see how quarantine goes. Maybe they play on the NYNJ border.

Reaction Score
When I didn't think there was a worse take than playing Buddy Boeheim 30+ minutes per game...

It is simultaneously funny and sad there are people using Jim boeheim and Nick Saban's support of playing as a reason to proceed with the season. Jimmy Bones will be 76 years old in November. And due to being in great shape and having a hair stylist who must also be a witch, people forget Saban will be 69 in October. Of course they want the seasons to happen. They are both a lot closer to the end of their careers than the beginning. Who wants to sacrifice a season when you only have a handful left. The fact they are willing to sacrifice very young men to do it tells you all you need to know about them.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The fact they are willing to sacrifice very young men to do it tells you all you need to know about them.

funny line about Sagan’s remarkable hair, but come on “sacrifice very young men?” Really? What do you think of the grocery store employee, the wait staff working outdoor dining this summer and our attempts to return to school this fall, all criminal right?

I’m not dismissing the risks and I understand why schools have cancelled, but the situation and overall risk here doesn’t warrant “sacrifice very young men” particularly if playing ball isn’t compulsory.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Looks like Army and New Mexico and frankly everyone left is going bowling this year! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I’ll just put this here because I don’t think we need a new thread for either one of these schools; Army gonna ball this fall... let’s see how quarantine goes. Maybe they play on the NYNJ border.
Georgia Southern announces they will play at Army on Nov. 21, 2020.
Even by Nov 21, what's the likelihood the Bum Phark, Georgia COVID-19 status enables Georgia Southern to enter NY State let alone to play a game with the USMA?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Even by Nov 21, what's the likelihood the Bum Butch, Georgia COVID-19 status enables Georgia Southern to enter NY State let alone to play a game with the USMA?
Not good at all

Reaction Score

I imagine this was the discussion UConn had with the players: "we can easily line up 2 games UMass, 2 games Army, Georgia Southern, Middle Tennessee, Temple, Georgia State, Cincinnati, Liberty, ODU, and Buffalo" and the players probably then decided they didn't want to take the risk or lose eligibility on that schedule. Just my uneducated guess.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I imagine this was the discussion UConn had with the players: "we can easily line up 2 games UMass, 2 games Army, Georgia Southern, Middle Tennessee, Temple, Georgia State, Cincinnati, Liberty, ODU, and Buffalo" and the players probably then decided they didn't want to take the risk or lose eligibility on that schedule. Just my uneducated guess.
I've heard the loss of the marque games on the schedule was a bit of a factor and part of the overall message of "save your eligibility for a worthwhile season."

Reaction Score
funny line about Sagan’s remarkable hair, but come on “sacrifice very young men?” Really? What do you think of the grocery store employee, the wait staff working outdoor dining this summer and our attempts to return to school this fall, all criminal right?

I’m not dismissing the risks and I understand why schools have cancelled, but the situation and overall risk here doesn’t warrant “sacrifice very young men” particularly if playing ball isn’t compulsory.

You are comparing working for a living with college sports. The coaches get paid either way, so I doubt Saban is worry about his paycheck. So yes, sacrificing young men to play games when no one knows the total risk. I didn't say playing was mandatory. I am talking about their willingness to take that risk with young lives.

We talkin' about games, not a job, not a job. We talkin' about games.

Reaction Score

That delay is in there because they are somehow waiting to see what will happen with the virus on campus.

But the real reason is that they are constrained by boosters and politicians into announcing it now.

This means that all the Dakich's and Bilas's of the world are full of horseBS when it comes to the B1G. Different parts of the country have different pressures for higher ed.

Now, Iowa and Nebraska are in revolt, and likely have pressure from boosters. I'm not sure what is going on in Indiana but they likely have pressure as well.

Down south is a whole different story.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You are comparing working for a living with college sports. The coaches get paid either way, so I doubt Saban is worry about his paycheck. So yes, sacrificing young men to play games when no one knows the total risk. I didn't say playing was mandatory. I am talking about their willingness to take that risk with young lives.

We talkin' about games, not a job, not a job. We talkin' about games.
Willingness to take risk with kids that volunteer. The kids are volunteering, the coaches are volunteering too.

I understand why we wont be playing ball this fall, but I also do understand the large numbers of kids, coaches and parents that do want to try to play despite the risks. And in those situations its not fair to pin this risk on the coaches....unless they unfairly pressure kids to play.

Reaction Score
Willingness to take risk with kids that volunteer. The kids are volunteering, the coaches are volunteering too.

I understand why we wont be playing ball this fall, but I also do understand the large numbers of kids, coaches and parents that do want to try to play despite the risks. And in those situations its not fair to pin this risk on the coaches....unless they unfairly pressure kids to play.

Again, there is a reason we cal them kids. There are reasons universities are run by experienced presidents and not the student council president. This one of them. This is a decision above their experience and expertise, for several obvious reasons. "Because they want to!" is not a good policy position. 20 year olds want to do a lot things, and many of them aren't wise. Not to mention, Saban doesn't have to tackle anyone.

And there is something sleazy about millionaire senior citizens encouraging kids to take this type of risk. But that is just my perspective.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
My friend is an assistant coach for a (high level) high school football team in Ohio. One kid tested positive and the entire team is currently on 14 day quarantine, no practice. Ohio just announced a 6 game schedule starting 8/24, plus playoffs. I don’t see how this works. The kids are now not physically prepared for the season. We’re shoving square pegs in round holes.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Again, there is a reason we cal them kids. There are reasons universities are run by experienced presidents and not the student council president. This one of them. This is a decision above their experience and expertise, for several obvious reasons. "Because they want to!" is not a good policy position. 20 year olds want to do a lot things, and many of them aren't wise. Not to mention, Saban doesn't have to tackle anyone.

And there is something sleazy about millionaire senior citizens encouraging kids to take this type of risk. But that is just my perspective.
If you believe 18-21 year olds can’t make this decision about playing ball then you must believe the voting age too low. If they can’t make one section, how can they make any decisions? (I’ll save you the key strokes, I think the drinking age should be rolled back to 19.)

Calling coaches that want to give it a go irresponsible killers which is basically your view isn’t fair rhetoric.

Reaction Score
If you believe 18-21 year olds can’t make this decision about playing ball then you must believe the voting age too low. If they can’t make one section, how can they make any decisions? (I’ll save you the key strokes, I think the drinking age should be rolled back to 19.)

Calling coaches that want to give it a go irresponsible killers which is basically your view isn’t fair rhetoric.

let’s be extremely cynical then. The Presidents don’t care about the student‘s at all. Instead they are avoiding the certain-to-come lawsuits that will bankrupt the schools, and no, there are no requirements for waivers from athletes.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
My friend is an assistant coach for a (high level) high school football team in Ohio. One kid tested positive and the entire team is currently on 14 day quarantine, no practice. Ohio just announced a 6 game schedule starting 8/24, plus playoffs. I don’t see how this works. The kids are now not physically prepared for the season. We’re shoving square pegs in round holes.
I think this gets to the core of Randy’s POV; a football team can’t really practice if they follow CT state guidelines for COVid best practices. I imagine the southern states have made their guidance sufficiently vague to help football sidestep these issues and make practice happen. I don’t see how the northern ACC schools actually play this fall.

Reaction Score
I think this gets to the core of Randy’s POV; a football team can’t really practice if they follow CT state guidelines for COVid best practices. I imagine the southern states have made their guidance sufficiently vague to help football sidestep these issues and make practice happen. I don’t see how the northern ACC schools actually play this fall.
Exactly. The safety issue is as much about the virus as it is the precautions that need to be taken with a positive test. The player quarantines. Those he was in close contact with quarantine and before you know it improperly conditioned players are suiting up on Saturdays.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I don’t see how the northern ACC schools actually play this fall.
This was always going to be the issue. How is Syracuse or BC going to travel to FSU or Clemson or GTech? Same with Pitt traveling? I'm not sure how the ACC makes this work unless some schools bow out and the ACC makes some kind of financial agreement with those schools. Let's not pretend going forward with this season that it is not completely about money and not playing football for the athletes.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
let’s be extremely cynical then. The Presidents don’t care about the student‘s at all. Instead they are avoiding the certain-to-come lawsuits that will bankrupt the schools, and no, there are no requirements for waivers from athletes.
Um why quote the discussion about coaches with your comment?
As for school presidents- I think they absolutely care about the young adults, but I absolutely agree football got cancelled when the NCAA prohibited COVid waivers.

Absolutely - no way would I want to see UComm move forward with football without COVid waivers as a state taxpayer. And the waiver is certainly not a release of obligation to maintain healthy work environment. What it does do is it forces the student to recognize their is a health risk that the school will try to control but actually cannot control.

Reaction Score
Um why quote the discussion about coaches with your comment?
As for school presidents- I think they absolutely care about the young adults, but I absolutely agree football got cancelled when the NCAA prohibited COVid waivers.

Absolutely - no way would I want to see UComm move forward with football without COVid waivers as a state taxpayer. And the waiver is certainly not a release of obligation to maintain healthy work environment. What it does do is it forces the student to recognize their is a health risk that the school will try to control but actually cannot control.

Because the coaches are ignoring what the presidents can’t.

as for waivers, the players in the P12 actually asked for 6 years of total health insurance post graduation. It’s sad it has come to that, but one wonders if the schools are in position to deliver that for all their athletes. Once the players are thinking that way, it shows that the question of waivers is moot.

there were actually a few tweets yesterday from the P12 players that signed calling out other players for their hypocrisy on these issues.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom