The Machinery Is in Motion to Postpone the 2020 College Football Season... | Page 6 | The Boneyard

The Machinery Is in Motion to Postpone the 2020 College Football Season...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
ACC won't play. When the Big and Pac cancel, governors in states like MA, NY, VA and NC will step in if necessary and say no.
Yep, that’s my feeling as well. Could come very late.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Hmmm... a final kick of the can... perhaps that will be the decision this week. I still think schools like Syracuse, BC and Rutty will be under tremendous hidden political pressure to cancel and it could come very late in the process. I just don’t see the governments on those states being supportive.

Reaction Score
Mountain West has also called it quits for the fall.

Reaction Score
I think it is possible, though not likely that the SEC and B12 soldier on and an ACC team or two try to play an Indy schedule of sorts, each other and some B12s plus anyone else who wants to keep at it but overall the season is toast. There is just too much unknown and this virus spreads to easily and is basically out of control in half the country or more. From what I’ve seen rec3ntly something like 19% of people who get it have “long haul” symptoms that extend beyond the normal 2 week course of the illness. Some last months and have not ended so nobody can really say how long, if ever they will clear up. Some things are nuisance impacts, tinitus, tiredness, stuffy nose. Others such as gi problems and chest and back pain are less so. Then others like memory problems, “ brain cloudiness” heart problems, are pretty severe. And these long haul symptoms seem to hit 20-50 year olds who have mild to moderate cases that are treated at home with “ bed rest, Tylenol and chicken soup“. In other words not in hospital settings. The CDC has identified I think around 50 such symptoms but a recent Indiana School of Medicine study Identified many more, closer to 100. And since this virus has only been around for less than a year, we really don’t yet have a handle on who or why it strikes and what the long term impacts might be. I get some kid at PENN STATE want to play. I want UConn to play, but they shouldn’t. Nobody should.

I thought Nelson had a great analogy. This is’t about a binary choice of fighting a tiger with a waffle ball bat or locking yourself in your basement. It is about being smart and striking a balance between doing some things, doing Many others differently and not doing some things for the time being. Football, and really all sports, fall into the last category.
Pretty much agree although I prefer Whiffle ball bats when fighting with tigers rather than Waffle ball bats. I find holding maple syrup on the bat is really a disadvantage rather than an advantage.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
If the SEC successfully pulls together the SEC-ACC and a couple of others (Oklahoma, Texas, or Nebraska, say) and have a fall season, that couldn't be great for basketball...

SEC & ACC Football in the fall, Big Ten & Pac 12 football in the spring....all televised.
The SEC 1 year super conference suggestion just made things a bit more interesting, didn't it? If it happens and works well, does that lay the groundwork for another round of conference realignment?

Reaction Score

>>"We believe we can mitigate it down to a level that makes everyone safe," Wolfe told The Daily. "Can we safely have two teams meet on the field? I would say yes. Will it be tough? Yes. Will it be expensive and hard and lots of work? For sure. But I do believe you can sufficiently mitigate the risk of bringing COVID onto the football field or into the training room at a level that's no different than living as a student on campus."<<

>>"There was one new issue that came out, and that was from a physician apparently that represents the NCAA about myocarditis and the potential impact that would have as a result of COVID," Florida State president John Thrasher said Tuesday. "That seemed to get a lot of attention nationally, and it caused a lot of the other conferences to say, 'Let's take a step back. Let's review where we are.' ...

"We did agree we needed to look at the medical aspects again just one more time to make sure our protocols, the other teams' protocols are in place. We've been doing that, and we'll probably have another meeting this week, the presidents of the ACC."<<

Reaction Score

>>"We believe we can mitigate it down to a level that makes everyone safe," Wolfe told The Daily. "Can we safely have two teams meet on the field? I would say yes. Will it be tough? Yes. Will it be expensive and hard and lots of work? For sure. But I do believe you can sufficiently mitigate the risk of bringing COVID onto the football field or into the training room at a level that's no different than living as a student on campus."<<

>>"There was one new issue that came out, and that was from a physician apparently that represents the NCAA about myocarditis and the potential impact that would have as a result of COVID," Florida State president John Thrasher said Tuesday. "That seemed to get a lot of attention nationally, and it caused a lot of the other conferences to say, 'Let's take a step back. Let's review where we are.' ...

"We did agree we needed to look at the medical aspects again just one more time to make sure our protocols, the other teams' protocols are in place. We've been doing that, and we'll probably have another meeting this week, the presidents of the ACC."<<

I have been on enough town-hall type meetings with doctors lately to know you can find someone to say what you want them to say. Unfortunately.

Reaction Score
I have been on enough town-hall type meetings with doctors lately to know you can find someone to say what you want them to say. Unfortunately.

Spend a day in an Emergency Department break room... you’d wonder how anyone survives just based on conflicting opinions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom