The Grind | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Grind

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

the hell with the grind just get a serviceable BIG to hang with Josh
PLEASE and Thank you Dan Hurley
I know the only thing we want to trust is a final result, but we need to trust the grind process that will eventually bring the result.

Reaction Score
That’s not a grind it’s bright lights and mirrors but it certainly is working for Penny. Good for him.
There is a lot to admire in the grind, but when you put a lot of time and resources into something only to have someone else swoop right in late to "buy" the prize, the grind becomes less admirable and more foolish. Personally, I love what Hurley is doing. I would prefer if he simply avoided certain kids who play for certain AAU programs no matter how high they are ranked.

Reaction Score
I miss grinders more than anything living here in Europe. A meatball grinder with provolone and roasted peppers toasted. Frankin giant grinders in Hartford. A pepperoni and Genoa combo. Is Franklin still there. I wonder if they vould send me one?
The worst thing about Europe is the portions they serve at restaurants. Your post reignited my genius idea of bringing a Cheesecake Factory to the heart of Tuscany. FWIW, we would serve local wines.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
There is a lot to admire in the grind, but when you put a lot of time and resources into something only to have someone else swoop right in late to "buy" the prize, the grind becomes less admirable and more foolish. Personally, I love what Hurley is doing. I would prefer if he simply avoided certain kids who play for certain AAU programs no matter how high they are ranked.

I'm sure Hurley has already re-assessed his recruiting approach after the Kofi and Precious misses. I expect to see a lot more focus on the #50-#100 prospects in years to come.

Reaction Score
If you get 100% of your recruiting targets, there’s a pretty good chance you’re either cheating or aiming too low (or you’ve lucked upon a once in a million opportunity).

It’s all just recruiting, and I don’t care that someone decided to give a pointless name to the process.

And I hope New Heights isn’t an AAU program that people think should be avoided. Hassan Martin came out of that program, and New Heights helped Kimani get to where he is now.

Last edited:

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I think we lost Precious when he left NY for Florida

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The worst thing about Europe is the portions they serve at restaurants. Your post reignited my genius idea of bringing a Cheesecake Factory to the heart of Tuscany. FWIW, we would serve local wines.

If you spent more time grinding, you wouldn't need that much food.

I've been to Europe a few times and don't recall ever leaving a restaurant there still feeling hungry.

Which, I suppose is one reason they have a larger social net there - you likely can't sustain yourself dumpster diving for garbage.

Reaction Score
I think the team needs a strong big man to go with Josh who has significant talent just to become relevant this season. Grind it, filet it, fricazee it, whatever.

Reaction Score
I think the team needs a strong big man to go with Josh who has significant talent just to become relevant this season. Grind it, filet it, fricazee it, whatever.
I’ll take best available. We need talent and guys willing to work and listen to Coach Hurley and staff

Reaction Score
I don't know where you live in Europe, but if it's France/Italy/Spain/Portugal, you have a) better meats, b) better cheeses, c) fresher peppers, and most important, d) better bread.

As someone who's actively researching retiring in western Europe, I consider my access to food important, however, when there's a vacuum, I also know I can always make myself a sandwich.
Not spending much time in Spain I can’t vouch for the quality of their food.
But I have spent a lot of time in Italy and I agree with your food assessment.
Germany was not so bad either with England bringing up the rear .
My former colleague who was raised in Northern Europe and spoke 5or 6 languages , told me his favorite country was France (especially Paris) but his least favorite people were the French.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Germany was not so bad either with England bringing up the rear .
My former colleague who was raised in Northern Europe and spoke 5or 6 languages , told me his favorite country was France (especially Paris) but his least favorite people were the French.

The pizza I had in Dusseldorf was better than 98% of pizza in Pittsburgh. Probably 80% of CT (outside NH/Ffld counties).

Aix en Provence is on our short list of retirement destinations. My experience is mostly Paris and I'd agree with your colleague's assessment based on that limited sample. However, we have friends and family who've lived in south of France and have found it much more friendly and accepting of US ex-pats.

C

Chief00

With both Precious and Kofi the process started with Kimani having lots of influence and ended with him having not enough to make a difference. No knock on Kimani but that’s how it played out.

pj

Reaction Score
With both Precious and Kofi the process started with Kimani having lots of influence and ended with him having not enough to make a difference. No knock on Kimani but that’s how it played out.

Stalin: "How many divisions does the Pope have?" Penny: "How many bank accounts does Kimani have?"

Reaction Score
but his least favorite people were the French.
Just sounds so cliche. I love the French. Most of the bad rep French people get is because of Paris and even then my countless visits have been opposite of most. I found people in the NW of the country to be brilliant too, so kind, caring and giving, for example. I actually have more of an issue with some people from some Eastern Euro countries like Ukraine. Icy cold in my experience, buy hey, just like you, maybe I have limited experience with Ukrainians.

Yah, you aren't going to get a football sized burrito or a pizza larger than a tire or huge mounds of pancakes (or at least incredibly unlikely) but generally speaking the life style is healthier with high quality ingredients and not so many artificial ingredients. I don't get this argument. The average restaurant in France, Italy, Spain, etc. blows the large majority of places stateside out of the water. I like the usa in many respects (from a scenic perspective it is one of the most beautiful countries in the world) but a lot of areas are just food deserts or at least lacking in really solid, high quality restaurants. NYC of course being a great place for food and food diversity. I felt like Boston was catching up during my last visit.

Cheesecake would not work in most of Europe outside of MAYBE England as it is just the opposite of food culture in most of Europe.

IMO, the best thing about much of Europe is the portions - they promote a healthier relationship with food.

Perhaps that might rub a few the wrong way, oh well, but I am a big fan of good food.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That made you laugh out loud? Why?
Dr(sleep)Zzzz was the first to like a post talking about “Who’s sleeping?” I thought it was funny. I thought it was obvious enough, guess not.

I suppose if maybe your name is Dr. Zemetrious Zandon Zataloni-Zimmitti it wouldn’t be that obvy.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ust sounds so cliche. I love the French. Most of the bad rep French people get is because of Paris and even then my countless visits have been opposite of most. I found people in the NW of the country to be brilliant too, so kind, caring and giving, for example. I actually have more of an issue with some people from some Eastern Euro countries like Ukraine. Icy cold in my experience, buy hey, just like you, maybe I have limited experience with Ukrainians.
My experience in an extended stay in France (mostly Paris) is that if you are civil (e.g., minding your vous versus your tu, although I understand it is less of emphasis this days, but also just general civility) and you actually take a shot at speaking the language, the French are as reasonable and friendly as anyone else. Parisians are notoriously brusque, but probably no more than New Yorkers. They also share the understated sarcasm that is typical of New England.

Reaction Score
I actually have more of an issue with some people from some Eastern Euro countries like Ukraine. Icy cold in my experience, buy hey, just like you, maybe I have limited experience with Ukrainians.
Hey @Robertelamin resembles that remark!

He’s as warm and cuddly as you can imagine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom