The Crowd | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Crowd

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I was there, the crowd was great from the tipoff. The couple of minutes after Hurley got tossed were as loud as I've heard a UConn crowd get, right up there with the Cuse game in 2012 and Florida in 2013.

Reaction Score
XL vs Gampel talks are the worst but two things are true:

1) gampel for average games is better

2) XL at its best is a step up from Gamp at its best.
I agree with both points.

Reaction Score
Got there 7:15 and it was packed with people 45 minutes before tip off rolling in. Def was one of the loudest crowds I could remember from there. Reminded me of the 09' Pitt game

Reaction Score
That was the wildest crowd I can remember since 06 vs Pitt and it was even light years wilder than that day. After each made basket from the very beginning, at least half the crowd would stand up and cheer on D. Just an unbelievable atmosphere that may never be topped.

Reaction Score
I’ve been going to games since I got to UConn in 2000, so I’ll speak for since then. Big game, either venue, I was probably there. Some of my previous favorites:

Bazz shot to beat Florida
Cuse left with a taste of UConn in their mouth.
Loren Woods/T-Rob goaltend win over No. 1 Zona.

Last night was on another level. It isn’t close.

The student section was damn near full an hour before tip. The place was already rocking during intros. Andre’s oop ignited the crowd from the start — never seen us score first and not one person in the building sit down before — and Hurley getting tossed took it to another level. There was one combined anger/anxiety/energy in the building and nobody wanted to sit or stop yelling from that point on.

When Nova went up 69-65 it was the first time all night you could feel the energy change a little bit. Then Polley hit that 3 and 15k fans realized we still had a chance and absolutely lost their minds when Cole puts us up to stay.

It wasn’t just a win. It wasn’t just a statement game. It was seven years of pent up AAC/down years/pandemic/you better get us now frustration literally pouring onto the court in jubilation when the final buzzer sounded. I screamed louder than I did in Dallas when we won the whole damn thing. The entire city was one big UConn! Huskies! chant on the way back to the parking garage last night.

It’s the best crowd a UConn game has had in at least two decades. It’s the Hurley ejection Nova win we’ll be talking about for the next two decades. It was just an amazing incredible night for UConn basketball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’ve been going to games since I got to UConn in 2000, so I’ll speak for since then. Big game, either venue, I was probably there. Some of my previous favorites:

Bazz shot to beat Florida
Cuse left with a taste of UConn in their mouth.
Loren Woods/T-Rob goaltend win over No. 1 Zona.

Last night was on another level. It isn’t close.

The student section was damn near full an hour before tip. The place was already rocking during intros. Andre’s oop ignited the crowd from the start — never seen us score first and not one person in the building sit down before — and Hurley getting tossed took it to another level. There was one combined anger/anxiety/energy in the building and nobody wanted to sit or stop yelling from that point on.

When Nova went up 69-65 it was the first time all night you could feel the energy change a little bit. Then Polley hit that 3 and 15k fans realized we still had a chance and absolutely lost their minds when Cole puts us up to stay.

It wasn’t just a win. It wasn’t just a statement game. It was seven years of pent up AAC/down years/pandemic/you better get us now frustration literally pouring onto the court in jubilation when the final buzzer sounded. I screamed louder than I did in Dallas when we won the whole damn thing. The entire city was one big UConn! Huskies! chant on the way back to the parking garage last night.

It’s the best crowd a UConn game has had in at least two decades. It’s the Hurley ejection Nova win we’ll be talking about for the next two decades. It was just an amazing incredible night for UConn basketball.
Quite the day 2/22/22..Deuces are wild! Transformational Program win

Reaction Score
It was a great crowd and quite frankly was one bad call away from getting ugly after Danny’s ejection.
Due to budget issues, small crowds, Covid or just mediocre building management and a lack of paying attention to detail - the security’s envelop around the refs was pretty much a joke leaving the arena at half time. Security Guards seemingly in a part time retirement job, a brave well dress woman, bless her heart overseeing things from the back end of the envelope, and 2 Hartford cops going through the overtime motions.

Nothing comforting for the refs or intimidating for a potential drunk nut in the crowd. We need to immediately step up our game on security envelops or there’s a risk of a significant incident that no one with mature judgement should want to happen.

Chief recognizes warnings often get belittled until they happen and then there’s an overreach as we saw with the double T. Let’s prevent anything embarrassing to happen that would justify treating UConn as a second class citizen, in a league of private schools.

We need a more physically intimidating security envelop around the officials.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Great crowd, and it's been that way on many occasions since the dream season

Cuse and Georgetown in 1990 in Hartford were two of the best

My personal favorite was MSG in 2014 in the Elite Eight when we beat MSU

Reaction Score
I confess I've only been to a few home games since moving to Florida, though, I held my season tickets through 2020. Had the tix at both locations for most of 25 years so I've been to a lot of old Big East games.

The most raucous crowd I'd ever been a part of was opening night at Gampel. The fans were in full voice over an hour before tip. We played St. John's and Louie was afraid to be the team UConn faced to open the new arena (I believe it was supposed to be Georgetown, but delays . . .). His fears were realized.

Reaction Score
It was a great crowd and quite frankly was one bad call away from getting ugly after Danny’s ejection.
Due to budget issues, small crowds, Covid or just mediocre building management and a lack of paying attention to detail - the security’s envelop around the refs was pretty much a joke leaving the arena at half time. Security Guards seemingly in a part time retirement job, a brave well dress woman, bless her heart overseeing things from the back end of the envelope, and 2 Hartford cops going through the overtime motions.

Nothing comforting for the refs or intimidating for a potential drunk nut in the crowd. We need to immediately step up our game on security envelops or there’s a risk of a significant incident that no one with mature judgement should want to happen.

Chief recognizes warnings often get belittled until they happen and then there’s an overreach as we saw with the double T. Let’s prevent anything embarrassing to happen that would justify treating UConn as a second class citizen, in a league of private schools.

We need a more physically intimidating security envelop around the officials.
The cops around Karl Hess during the AAC tourney was INSANE.
Like 8-10 cops + yellows around the 2 sections the refs enter/leave.

That game was pretty nutty. The crowd was more drunk that game.
I remember DB quoting the crowd was “pretty thirsty before game time ” or something like that.
Still remember the loud
THANK YOU PURVIS that game.
Looked it up. Karl and crew gave 56 fouls and 32 against UConn.

I think it was the game time / we were the late game. (Ie last night 8pm vs 6:30)
We gave Karl a new one.
The refs you suck was pretty =, but I think more intense last night.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've had season tickets for almost every year since the 70's at the XL. I was in 217 row N last night. I had to stand through most of the game (not complaining one bit). That has NEVER happened before.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom