OT: - The Coronavirus thread (merged thread) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: The Coronavirus thread (merged thread)

Which items you can not buy right now

• Mask

Votes: 32 41.6%
  • Toilet Paper/ Face Tissue

Votes: 45 58.4%
  • Can Foods

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Hand Sanitizer

Votes: 53 68.8%
  • Rice/ Flour/ Instant Noodle

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Eggs

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Milk/ Cheese

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Meats/ Frozen foods

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Bread/ Cookie/ Potato Chip

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Others (Please specify)

Votes: 8 10.4%

• Total voters

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A friend sent me these COVID one-liners:

First time in history we can save the human race by laying in front of the TV and doing nothing. Let's not screw it up.

- Reminder: 9pm is the time to remove your day pajamas and put your night pajamas on.

- My cleaning lady just messaged to say she will be working from home and will send me instructions on what to do.

- We're about two weeks away from seeing everyone's true hair color.

- What's worse: two masked guys trying to rob you or your unmasked pizza delivery guy?

- I've almost completed my 90 day trial of 2020. How do I cancel?

And my fav:

Day 3 without sports. Found a lady sitting on my couch. Apparently she's my wife. She seems nice.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Want some more?
* Half of us are going to come out of this quarantine as amazing cooks. The other half will come out with a drinking problem.

* I used to spin that toilet paper like I was on Wheel of Fortune. Now I turn it like I'm cracking a safe.

* I need to practice social-distancing from the refrigerator.

* Still haven't decided where to go for Easter ----- The Living Room or The Bedroom

* PSA: every few days try your jeans on just to make sure they fit. Pajamas will have you believe all is well in the kingdom.

* Homeschooling is going well. 2 students suspended for fighting and 1 teacher fired for drinking on the job.

* I don't think anyone expected that when we changed the clocks we'd go from Standard Time to the Twilight Zone

* This morning I saw a neighbor talking to her cat. It was obvious she thought her cat understood her. I came into my house, told my dog..... we laughed a lot.

* So, after this quarantine.....will the producers of My 600 Pound Life just find me or do I find them?

* Quarantine Day 5: Went to this restaurant called THE KITCHEN. You have to gather all the ingredients and make your own meal. I have no clue how this place is still in business.

* My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

* Day 5 of Homeschooling: One of these little monsters called in a bomb threat.

* I'm so excited --- it's time to take out the garbage. What should I wear?

* I hope the weather is good tomorrow for my trip to Puerto Backyarda. I'm getting tired of Los Livingroom.

* Classified Ad: Single man with toilet paper seeks woman with hand sanitizer for good clean fun.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
On a sadder note, I'm reporting the first Covid-19 death in the extended family. My ex-wife's niece, who was in a nursing home after a horrific car crash decades ago, passed away this morning. Nursing homes seem to be very hard hit.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
On a sadder note, I'm reporting the first Covid-19 death in the extended family. My ex-wife's niece, who was in a nursing home after a horrific car crash decades ago, passed away this morning. Nursing homes seem to be very hard hit.
:(

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
My mom, 75, is working at rite aid. They are the only store in the area that hasn’t adjusted their hours. Open 8am-10pm. They haven’t put up the glass either. She said people are so rude. Yelling at her because they don’t have anything... No paper towels, toilet paper, hand sanitizer, Lysol. And it’s “all her fault”. She had a rough day yesterday. Was almost in tears.

My daughter works at CVS in Texas. Although their hours are adjusted, she said people are ridiculous and rude!

I normally shop every day on the way home from work. Now I'm working from home, so I'm limiting it to twice a week. (I have to do this "planning" thing, which is totally unnatural, but that's another thread.) My wife went out once last week or the week before and remarked how (spooked/concerned/worried/terrified/confused) people were. I hadn't noticed it at that point, but have since.

I had to go out for prescriptions today, so combined that with food shopping and the neverending quest for Tyler Phommachanh. I thought of your post when I was checking out in the grocery line. I normally do self-check, but there was a line there, so I went to a line with one person with maybe 20 items. The person ahead of me wasn't wearing a mask. She stood near the beginning of the conveyor, on the near side of the plexiglass shield, for much of the checkout process, so I couldn't put my groceries on the conveyor. When she finally moved down the line some, it was to bitch at the checker. Beyond the plexiglass shield at that point. With no mask. It was one thing after another. When she was finally checked out, she stood right where she was, mumbling about something. When the checker asked her if something was wrong, she said she just had to put all her stuff (change) away. Meanwhile, the checker can't start my items because this woman is standing there and not picking any of her stuff up. The final straw was that, when she was done putting stuff in her wallet, she walked about six feet to a bench and sat down.

Unpleasant and inconsiderate, not necessarily in that order; I don't think she was just stressed.

I thanked the checker for coming to work, but I couldn't commiserate with her about the rude customer because she was still sitting a few feet away.

I really do appreciate anyone who's good at her job (always), and I especially appreciate people at grocery stores, delivering packages, and the such, at a time like this.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
My wife works for an assisted living community and is very familiar with the incident that you are referring to outside of Baltimore. Just got a notification that another nursing home has had an outbreak. Seven residents and one staff member so far. Going to get much worse before it gets better. Maryland officials say we are still two weeks away from the "surge."

Prepare for combat style triage if things get too of hand.

I read in the Washington Post yesterday that there had been ten deaths at the facility in Howard County, but the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus map still says there have been only three deaths in all of Howard. I had been treating the JHU map as very reliable, but when they're not even up on what's happening 25 miles away, I have to wonder. Or wonder about the Post.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I read in the Washington Post yesterday that there had been ten deaths at the facility in Howard County, but the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus map still says there have been only three deaths in all of Howard. I had been treating the JHU map as very reliable, but when they're not even up on what's happening 25 miles away, I have to wonder. Or wonder about the Post.
The Johns Hopkins dashboard relies heavily on public-sector reporting. The State of Maryland's own official tally for Howard County is currently at 3:

Interesting that Howard County's website is only showing 2 right now:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The Johns Hopkins site and the state reporting also may use either the hospital location or the home address to designate the county and state, and they also have a listing for each state of 'Unassigned'.

It is also important to note that the numbers being reported are only those with a positive CV test, and in non-medical facilities when someone dies that hasn't actually been tested they probably aren't running a test for the body - tests are still not universally available and when they are available the results still take days to come back. Coroners and mortuaries likely do not bother to run the test.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I'm seeing just the opposite at the supermarket. People are being polite and mostly practicing safe distance. I have yet to see anyone being rude to a cashier. Are you in NYC or NJ?
I shopped today, the store was crowded and probably 90% of the shoppers were wearing masks and most were wearing gloves. Cashiers are behind plexiglass and the aisles are marked one way and there is spacing tape on the floor for register lines.

More importantly - I scored some multi ply Charmin Tyler Phommachanh today! We've been using some really thin single ply (all we could get at the time) which is dangerous stuff no matter how many times you fold it over. I wanted to toss the single ply but the wife suggested we hang on to it just in case.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
We're still healthy.
My wife still won't let me go shopping with her
Up here in NorthEastern Vermont, there's (officially) 8 cases in our county and none in the even more rural county to the North.

Our town has 2, large well stocked supermarkets; toilet paper excepted (I don't get the rush on toilet paper) and prices have stayed reasonable ...eggs have gone up...and are the 2nd scarcest item. She shopped yesterday; seemingly fine, the drug store had shields, the supermarket didn't.

St J is a good place to be away from it all; quiet streets to take a walk, a railroad trail for more extensive walks and the entire white Mountain system, starting 20 miles away or so.

I worry about the townsfolk...There isn't much decent employment in this town in the best of days, most people living hand to mouth,
Back in the early 1900's the town was booming, Fairbanks made industrial locks for the world; lovely Vics on every street, for the elite, a main street with set back quasi mansions...All still there but in the poorer blocks somewhat going to seed...

The median household income is 47 thousand, lower than the rest of the state and the country (63), I don't know how these people will survive a sharp recession; there just aren't any resources to fall back on...but gun sales are way up...a bit frightening. Is anarchy a real possibility...I certainly hope not.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
We're still healthy.
Up here in NorthEastern Vermont, there's (officially) 8 cases in our county and none in the even more rural county to the North.

Our town has 2, large well stocked supermarkets; toilet paper excepted (I don't get the rush on toilet paper) and prices have stayed reasonable ...eggs have gone up...and are the 2nd scarcest item. She shopped yesterday; seemingly fine, the drug store had shields, the supermarket didn't.

St J is a good place to be away from it all; quiet streets to take a walk, a railroad trail for more extensive walks and the entire white Mountain system, starting 20 miles away or so.

I worry about the townsfolk...There isn't much decent employment in this town in the best of days, most people living hand to mouth,
Back in the early 1900's the town was booming, Fairbanks made industrial locks for the world; lovely Vics on every street, for the elite, a main street with set back quasi mansions...All still there but in the poorer blocks somewhat going to seed...

The median household income is 47 thousand, lower than the rest of the state and the country (63), I don't know how these people will survive a sharp recession; there just aren't any resources to fall back on...but gun sales are way up...a bit frightening. Is anarchy a real possibility...I certainly hope not.
I certainly hope not also. I am thinking the six foot rule would prove insufficient for firearm distancing.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
We're still healthy.

We vacation in the Islands most years. We occasionally take a detour through St J and we usually stop to visit the Athenaeum and their surprisingly extensive art collection.

Reaction Score
We vacation in the Islands most years. We occasionally take a detour through St J and we usually stop to visit the Athenaeum and their surprisingly extensive art collection.
My husband’s uncle has a place in the Islands and we go at least a couple of times a year. Can’t help but wonder if the locals are guarding the causeway to keep the out of state people away. Sadly, Maple Fest is cancelled this year so that is one less trip for us.

Reaction Score
My husband’s uncle has a place in the Islands and we go at least a couple of times a year. Can’t help but wonder if the locals are guarding the causeway to keep the out of state people away. Sadly, Maple Fest is cancelled this year so that is one less trip for us.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Damn sorry Mil. I hope everyone within your immediate family are still well and hunkered down.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm seeing just the opposite at the supermarket. People are being polite and mostly practicing safe distance. I have yet to see anyone being rude to a cashier. Are you in NYC or NJ?
I shopped today, the store was crowded and probably 90% of the shoppers were wearing masks and most were wearing gloves. Cashiers are behind plexiglass and the aisles are marked one way and there is spacing tape on the floor for register lines.

I'm in the Maryland suburbs of DC. That's the only rude person I've seen, but she was really awful.

As you experienced, the vast majority of the people are very considerate, 6 foot distances are marked near the registers, etc. Outside of fresh food, though, the stores are still very poorly stocked.

On my noontime run today, there were probably ten times as many people out walking/running/riding as a week ago. I think people around here are still taking the threat very seriously, but being antsy is now winning out over being spooked.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Damn sorry Mil. I hope everyone within your immediate family are still well and hunkered down.
Thanks. Grandpa is hunkered down in Alexandria; the California family is working and taking college classes from home in Irvine; and the Texas family is working from home and teaching the little ones (Mom has an M.Ed. from Stanford) in Houston, having left Queens last summer. We are all present and accounted for.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm in the Maryland suburbs of DC. That's the only rude person I've seen, but she was really awful.

As you experienced, the vast majority of the people are very considerate, 6 foot distances are marked near the registers, etc. Outside of fresh food, though, the stores are still very poorly stocked.

On my noontime run today, there were probably ten times as many people out walking/running/riding than a week ago. I think people around here are still taking the threat very seriously, but being antsy is now winning out over being spooked.
I went out for a walk in Old Town Alexandria today, and the sunny, 77-degree weather brought out about double or perhaps triple the number of people I've been seeing on my 5-mile walks.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I went out for a walk in Old Town Alexandria today, and the sunny, 77-degree weather brought out about double or perhaps triple the number of people I've been seeing on my 5-mile walks.
I've been doing these 2 hour walks every day and you would all be amazed at how many people are still walking Brooklyn's streets. What has really picked up is the number of people riding bicycles around the borough.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I've been doing these 2 hour walks every day and you would all be amazed at how many people are still walking Brooklyn's streets. What has really picked up is the number of people riding bicycles around the borough.
Are you able to maintain distance from folks in a place as crowded as Brooklyn?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Tequila video above reminds me of a story from UConn.

One time my girlfriend "wanted to see the sheep." We walked over but she was disappointed because they we off grazing in the distance. So I said if you want, I can call them. She looked skeptical but asked me to. I leaned back and did my best and loudest BAAAAAA! While I doing it I put my foot on the release lever for the (empty) feed trough. The sheep heard the clank and came running. She looked at me at first happy that they were coming but she soon became nervous as the came in at a trot bleating all the way. Finally she turns to me backing away from the fence and yells "what did you say to them!"

Good times.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom