The CFP | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The CFP

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
... if that doesn't do it, this should...

This format is going to make it a lot easier for UConn to schedule. I think the era of 9 conference games will come to an end in the next few years as the selection committee will show a reluctance for rewarding teams for just playing more bottom half conference teams, and "bubble" teams will be reluctant to schedule FCS over a team like UConn just to save a few bucks.

Reaction Score
I guess it’s good but we are still going to end up with the same 2 teams at the end
If they are the best teams, then so be it. Things are changing as more programs spend more money, get more players, etc. Look at Clemson as they fall off, things are much harder for Alabama now, other programs are kicking out for NIL, facilities, etc. It's not going to be the cakewalk that it once was.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This format is going to make it a lot easier for UConn to schedule. I think the era of 9 conference games will come to an end in the next few years as the selection committee will show a reluctance for rewarding teams for just playing more bottom half conference teams, and "bubble" teams will be reluctant to schedule FCS over a team like UConn just to save a few bucks.

Or...
The rankings will look a lot like this every year.

1. SEC Champ
2. BIG Champ
3. P12/B12 Champ
4. ACC Champ
5. SEC #2
6. P12/B12 Champ
7. ND/BIG #2
8. ND/P12/B12/ACC #2
9. BIG #3
10. SEC #3
11. G5 Champ
12. P12/B12/ACC #3 or SEC/BIG#4

If the top four spots are locked into the P4 champs, then OOC won't matter at all for those. Every team in spots 5-12 will have at least one or two wins vs the other 11.

I see this as less access and more spots for the SEC/BIG due to conference expansion. UT/OU, USC/UCLA would not be making these moves without some assurance they can get in without beating the traditional powers in those conferences.

Reaction Score
Or...

1. SEC Champ
2. BIG Champ
3. P12/B12 Champ
4. ACC Champ
5. SEC #2
6. P12/B12 Champ
7. ND/BIG #2
8. ND/P12/B12/ACC #2
9. BIG #3
10. SEC #3
11. G5 Champ

If the top four spots are locked into the P4 champs, then OOC won't matter at all for those. Every team in spots 5-12 will have at least one or two wins vs the other 11.

I see this as less access and more spots for the SEC/BIG due to conference expansion. UT/OU, USC/UCLA would not be making these moves without some assurance they can get in without beating the traditional powers in those conferences.
The only assurance they wanted and got was getting the double (at least) what they were ever going to get in the PAC12 in terms of payout

Reaction Score
Or...

1. SEC Champ
2. BIG Champ
3. P12/B12 Champ
4. ACC Champ
5. SEC #2
6. P12/B12 Champ
7. ND/BIG #2
8. ND/P12/B12/ACC #2
9. BIG #3
10. SEC #3
11. G5 Champ

I think the G5 champ is going to be 12th every year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Or...

1. SEC Champ
2. BIG Champ
3. P12/B12 Champ
4. ACC Champ
5. SEC #2
6. P12/B12 Champ
7. ND/BIG #2
8. ND/P12/B12/ACC #2
9. BIG #3
10. SEC #3
11. G5 Champ

Nope.

In the 1980's, that was how the NCAA Tournament was selected. No one cared about the non-conference schedule, so teams feasted on cupcakes. John Thompson's Georgetown teams were the worst, but hardly the only offenders. They would play half the MEAC every season. Around that time, a few stats dorks started doing SOSs, and the committee used those to justify their selections.

Then Bobby Knight, because he was a miserable jerk and also a little smarter than the average coach, started gaming the system. He did this out of necessity, because his own recruiting declined as a new generation didn't want to get abused by a jerk, so he had to figure out a way to stay in the NCAA Tournament with .500 Big 10 records. He started loading up on mid-majors and playing tougher OOC schedules. He would lose some games, but the computer rankings loved his approach, and suddenly other perennial bubble teams started scheduling tougher opponents and eased up on the cupcakes. Before you knew it, perennial powerhouses like Georgetown were the ones sitting on the bubble.

That is actually why Butler is in a major conference today. They were one of the first teams Knight added to his schedule in the 90's.

Michigan and Alabama will continue to load up on cupcakes, but something tells me that Lane Kiffin and Dave Clawson and Sonny Dykes will figure out the best way to get their teams in the tournament, and make it hard for Alabama and their 2 bottom of the barrel Sun Belt opponents plus Citadel to argue for a slot in the playoffs with a 9-3 record.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The playoff expansion basically puts a fork in the other bowls. No one with even a prayer of getting drafted will play in a bowl game now, which will make those games even more pointless than they already are.

Reaction Score
10 minutes left, but if Utah holds on it will put Ohio state back in

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It's over, dammit. CFP just got less interesting. I'd rather see Utah than tOSU.

USC tackled worse than 2021 UConn. 22 missed tackles, something like 190 yards after initial contact.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I can't help but think of last year and all the times when Kenny Pickett needed a big play, there was Jordan Addison. Seems Addison barely has half the yards he did last year. Not sure what Riley is doing with him. Dude is a playmaker.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Utah is a solid team. I wonder what happened in that game against Florida. This is a nice middle finger from the Pac 12 to USC on the way out the door. The Pac 12 would definitely be better off playing another quality OOC opponent per team than playing 9 conference games.
Looks like tOSU is going to the CFP.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I can't help but think of last year and all the times when Kenny Pickett needed a big play, there was Jordan Addison. Seems Addison barely has half the yards he did last year. Not sure what Riley is doing with him. Dude is a playmaker.

Pitt whiffed badly on Slovis. If they had one of the Top 20 QB's in the country, they would be 10-2 or 11-1 right now, because that is a good team otherwise, but Slovis is just freaking awful.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Well, USC crapped the bed. Can't wait to see TCU do the same and be back to the same old 4 in the CFP......

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom