the brand prediction(what u want) vs reality thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

the brand prediction(what u want) vs reality thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Block C with red trim as main logo (center court, midfield, badge on shirts) and a new husky head as alternative logo (35 yard line, near coaches box, uniform sleeves). UCONN with the red U (like mens basketball home) written across the chest of all uniforms.

Hey Man, is this factual info or just your guesses? I am guessing this is where HFD is getting the block C info from. Think it would be a huge mistake to keep the block C, but Nike and brand consultants know more than I do.

Reaction Score
Hey Man, is this factual info or just your guesses? I am guessing this is where HFD is getting the block C info from. Think it would be a huge mistake to keep the block C, but Nike and brand consultants know more than I do.

Just my personal preference. I have no inside info, though I did work at Nike once upon a time.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
i have been called out once by susan and once by warde in the past months and a half. they dont want me close to anything uconn becuase i expose everything they get away with on a silly message board.
This again?
tumblr_m9cckmRlJK1rd2qw6o1_400.gif

pj

Reaction Score
Dan is right that now that athletics is turning from a university-centric thing to a cable-subscriber-centric thing, it would be better to brand ourselves as Connecticut's team than as the University of Connecticut's team, because Connecticut has more cable subscribers than UConn.

But Connecticut is too long for most people to say, so UConn is a worthy nickname. A good marketing professional would figure out how to make best use of the two names. I'm not a good marketing professional so I don't know how to do that.

Reaction Score
Well the block C in the specific typeface that has existed in the past is gone as far as I can tell. It hasn't been included in any of the materials I've seen and I haven't heard anyone talk about it. Which is kind of awkward, because I'm pretty sure we designed the exterior of the Chemistry building to mimic the curve of the "C". That isn't to say that some sort of "C" won't be part of the new brand, but I haven't seen it and I'm guessing it won't be featured.

With regards to the whole "UConn" vs. "Connecticut" thing, its just an issue of recognizability. Connecticut really isn't a recognizable state, brand, or identity. We really don't have much to offer and to be honest after some market research its been shown that a good number of people literally have no idea where Connecticut is on the map. So, with the understanding that ultimately we don't really care if they know where we are on the map so long as they know our school, UConn becomes the obvious choice. This has been a long time coming - just a few months ago they quietly changed the official Facebook page to UConn from University of Connecticut. It's definitely a bit weird to go to a nickname as the primary mark (especially on the academic side) but I think its a nice opportunity for UConn to be different. I don't know enough about this board to know why some of you seem so ANGRY about it, but I don't really think its a big deal. We've been UConn for a while.

Reaction Score
Also, they discovered that our current Jonathan logo is actually a Malamute instead of a Husky. So obviously that needed to be fixed.

Reaction Score
Also, they discovered that our current Jonathan logo is actually a Malamute instead of a Husky. So obviously that needed to be fixed.

Did they also discover that UConn Athletics' FB page is listed as "Pet Services"?

Reaction Score
i have been called out once by susan and once by warde in the past months and a half. they dont want me close to anything uconn becuase i expose everything they get away with on a silly message board.

Sure you did, Chief. Sure you did.

Wow.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
What I want is our BB uneys to remain the same. I love them. I do not want to go back, hoop has to have UCONN, home and away. No friggin Connectiut. It is much more "brand" perceivable on TV for hoop. For FB, the block C on helmet can stay or go (paw print may be nice). we need the FB uneys to be changed back to our name on the front. The Husky is tradition and way cool an recognizable like the KU Jayhawk. Am I wrong? We need a monster
Werewolf dog? Love your visionary ideas HFD, but on Jonathan? No.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

I find this easy to believe because Obama called out 3 times to HFD in the state of the union the other day.

Atleast thats what the voices in Dan's head told him.

Reaction Score
Watching the WBB game today and there was an interesting moment. (No Doty didn't have a wardrobe malfunction) Right before one of the commercials SNY showed a graphic that was a long, skinny blue U outlined in red. Hmmmm?

Reaction Score
as soon as bsu got a chance at playing/beating big time schools what did they do???
-gimick stuff like the blue turf
-new logo and brand
-new uniforms and stuff like that
-expaneded

its no accident that many teams are doing these things and uconn isn't. is winning the #1 aspect? sure becuase if we dont win football games then were uconn 1999. but once u start winning games u ave to parlay that with other things to help keep u in the light. lville did the same thing also btw and rutgers also...

dan you really have NO IDEA what your talking about. In your post you say once Boise started winning they did gimmick stuff like the smurf turf? dude that blue field has been there since 1986. Where do you get your info from? Obviously as a team starts WINNING more demand for tickets will go up hence the need to expand. It all begins and ends with WINNING. Get us a winner year in and year out and i will gurantee we will have 99% of a full stadium. Hell even with a more exciting offense im sure we would have 95% of a full stadium. The new brand should be lets put everything we have into WINNING THE DAMN GAMES!!!!!

Reaction Score
dan you really have NO IDEA what your talking about....... The new brand should be lets put everything we have into WINNING THE DAMN GAMES!!!!!
Agree 100%

I have a couple of thoughts though. If they are going to tinker with the Husky dog face it should be subtle. A stern, concentrated or stoic posture (lose the smile and the red tongue) of the same Husky face. Combine the dog face and the word UConn into the logo. Lose that block C on the football helmet. If anything spells boring that does. It says nothing. Doesn't say UConn or Connecticut. It could be the University of Columbus for those TV viewers not intimately familiar with UConn football. You want something that is unmistakeably UConn at first glance.

I'm not familiar with what is exactly legal as far as the Husky mascot(both dog and person) but I don't think it would cost a whole heck of a lot to have them both do a little tour around the state(maybe even surrounding states?) at schools, shopping malls, town fairs/festivals a couple times a year. You know, a chance for little kids who could be future Husky fans to meet and have a photo taken together. Promotional stuff. Add a half dozen of the foxiest UConn cheerleaders for eye candy to catch the attention of the older kids/adults. I'm sure the mascot does some appearances but I never hear about it or see it in my daily travels around the state.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
dan you really have NO IDEA what your talking about. In your post you say once Boise started winning they did gimmick stuff like the smurf turf? dude that blue field has been there since 1986. Where do you get your info from? Obviously as a team starts WINNING more demand for tickets will go up hence the need to expand. It all begins and ends with WINNING. Get us a winner year in and year out and i will gurantee we will have 99% of a full stadium. Hell even with a more exciting offense im sure we would have 95% of a full stadium. The new brand should be lets put everything we have into WINNING THE DAMN GAMES!!!!!

what i was refering to was it was always like a blue baseball field type turf what ever u want to call it. carpet? maybe. during there great years lately they put actual playing field turf in blue down. the combo of doing well and doing something wierd caught media atention. thats the whole uniforms and stuff thing. making news for yourself, changing perception and giving the media news.

Reaction Score
what i was refering to was it was always like a blue baseball field type turf what ever u want to call it. carpet? maybe. during there great years lately they put actual playing field turf in blue down. the combo of doing well and doing something wierd caught media atention. thats the whole uniforms and stuff thing. making news for yourself, changing perception and giving the media news.

Dan, you pretty blatantly said that once they were playing big teams they put in blue turf. You were wrong and you got called out on it. Just accept that you didn't really know what you were talking about and don't start claiming that you were talking about them upgrading their quality of turf material as the big gimmick to grab national attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom