the brand prediction(what u want) vs reality thread | The Boneyard

the brand prediction(what u want) vs reality thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
post up what u wish uconn comes out with soon brand wise. then lets see what they come out with.

here is mine:
-take the baseball C and use it like alabama. when we have tshirts and things u can write connecticut out in block but the logo is the cursive/oe C. no crapy woutline of the C like the blockl C we have now has. just a blue or white C depending on what the background color is.
-everything on our 2 main jerseys is connecticut and needs to be written on all. for our 3rd jerseys "uconn" is fine. that 3rd jersey needs to be a new one every year that we do for 1 game. thats how u ever year keep yourself in the news with kids and pump the fanbase with cool stuff. we need to pump "connecticut" all day in everything form newspapers to sportscenter. uconn becomes our cute nickname. and yes, tell the fake cheerleaders to give us abck our u-c-0-n-n chant because i have a grand idea for that also. big red would be proud. anyway.
-everything needs to be blue and we need to redo the state flag to a darker blue. i mean everything.
-take the husky dog and drop the tounge and put some teeth in it like the florida gator or ark piggy. this is a basic logo that helps keep some tradition but its not used much. its mostly for kids gear and hopefully it fits the idea of reaching the state at a young age.
-now for our 2nd main logo. take a look at the clemson paw and make it a bit more of a triangle and agressive to fit a husky dogs paw vs a tiger. blue and white just like the new C. put the logo in the lines of football pants, check fsu or fl football pants. on bball shorts put it in the bottom left corner. stuff liek that. the C goes on the helmets like usual. u can get creative with the uniforms from there but a obvious 3rd uni would be the paw on the helemt etc...
-other small things like our bball courts need to change. websites and 3's need to be everywhere and the middle needs to be a ct outline shaded wood different with the C over it or paw print.
-husky walk gets paw prints painted and so on with small things. the brass or w/e metal life size husky on campus is great, we need to put those in several places so pictures are taken 24/7 and its a uconn bucket list thing. thisrts of "i rode the husky" shoul be big hits and so on. heres a hint to the fball program. put one in the lockerroom or somewhere inside the pf right next to where u should have manicans with our new jerseys on them to show off. when players come they try on the gear and the new cool gloves and so on and pose for pics with the family with the life size husky. then guess what, the kids who commit end up with that all ove rsocial media. its about thinking steps ahead so that u can partically control and help pump yourself. florida has a gator in the middle of its lockerroom. kids can't wait to get in and throw on the unifrom(every # is on a rack so that kids pick it for fun, we all know the emotional fun that is), they put cool gloves and all these headbands and helemts etc etc and then go pose with the gator. its a small thing but a highlight to kids. simple but effective. i'll stop before i rip uconn for lacking.

thats my 2 cents, its a wild change but imho the best to capture the fanbase and new fans and also at the same time be attractive to hs kids and recruits looking at uconn in there future. i would liek to hear what others think the brand should end up as.

here is a combo picture of what i'm thinking.

Attachments

• New Bitmap Image.jpg
    New Bitmap Image.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 94

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Dan great ideas. Here is a pic o the uconn blog husky. I would say pirchase the rights and work off this View attachment 2299

Agree. I have always maintained the uconn blog's husky is the best husky design I've ever seen.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
post up what u wish uconn comes out with soon brand wise. then lets see what they come out with.

here is mine:
-take the baseball C and use it like alabama. when we have tshirts and things u can write connecticut out in block but the logo is the cursive/oe C. no crapy woutline of the C like the blockl C we have now has. just a blue or white C depending on what the background color is.
-everything on our 2 main jerseys is connecticut and needs to be written on all. for our 3rd jerseys "uconn" is fine. that 3rd jersey needs to be a new one every year that we do for 1 game. thats how u ever year keep yourself in the news with kids and pump the fanbase with cool stuff. we need to pump "connecticut" all day in everything form newspapers to sportscenter. uconn becomes our cute nickname. and yes, tell the fake cheerleaders to give us abck our u-c-0-n-n chant because i have a grand idea for that also. big red would be proud. anyway.
-everything needs to be blue and we need to redo the state flag to a darker blue. i mean everything.
-take the husky dog and drop the tounge and put some teeth in it like the florida gator or ark piggy. this is a basic logo that helps keep some tradition but its not used much. its mostly for kids gear and hopefully it fits the idea of reaching the state at a young age.
-now for our 2nd main logo. take a look at the clemson paw and make it a bit more of a triangle and agressive to fit a husky dogs paw vs a tiger. blue and white just like the new C. put the logo in the lines of football pants, check fsu or fl football pants. on bball shorts put it in the bottom left corner. stuff liek that. the C goes on the helmets like usual. u can get creative with the uniforms from there but a obvious 3rd uni would be the paw on the helemt etc...
-other small things like our bball courts need to change. websites and 3's need to be everywhere and the middle needs to be a ct outline shaded wood different with the C over it or paw print.
-husky walk gets paw prints painted and so on with small things. the brass or w/e metal life size husky on campus is great, we need to put those in several places so pictures are taken 24/7 and its a uconn bucket list thing. thisrts of "i rode the husky" shoul be big hits and so on. heres a hint to the fball program. put one in the lockerroom or somewhere inside the pf right next to where u should have manicans with our new jerseys on them to show off. when players come they try on the gear and the new cool gloves and so on and pose for pics with the family with the life size husky. then guess what, the kids who commit end up with that all ove rsocial media. its about thinking steps ahead so that u can partically control and help pump yourself. florida has a gator in the middle of its lockerroom. kids can't wait to get in and throw on the unifrom(every # is on a rack so that kids pick it for fun, we all know the emotional fun that is), they put cool gloves and all these headbands and helemts etc etc and then go pose with the gator. its a small thing but a highlight to kids. simple but effective. i'll stop before i rip uconn for lacking.

thats my 2 cents, its a wild change but imho the best to capture the fanbase and new fans and also at the same time be attractive to hs kids and recruits looking at uconn in there future. i would liek to hear what others think the brand should end up as.

Here's my branding idea.

Win as many football games as Alabama. For the next 25 years.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Here's my branding idea.

and this is where the clows here come out. yes great plan for a brand. bravo. see, no matter the w/l's were going to struggle $ wise with the tv contracts and opponets selling tix etc. so when u have a chance to make a couple mil, u should. and that chance is by redoing the brand and it has other benefits also. but guys like u can't see past a couple straight forward things. its guys like u who are the issue in storrs. win games??? thats e=mc2 type smart shi* man. holy crappps. its about more than that and u dont get it and never will. u shoul have no replied trying to be a jc or funny. its ppl like u that are the reason uconn can't get out of its own way when it comes to the ath dept.

Reaction Score

here is mine:

I dont love the baseball C...but I'd be ok with it.
Change the state flag...AWESOME!
The husky paw is awesome.....I had a few hats with the husky paw in the mid 90's....not sure why they ever stopped using it. I loved it....

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
The husky paw is awesome.....I had a few hats with the husky paw in the mid 90's....not sure why they ever stopped using it. I loved it....

i want to be able to run out of the tunnel like this. 3 husky dogs get let off leashes and they run to the 50 and the crowd goes nuts. then the 1st 3 players come out, usa flag in the middle, state flag on one side and uconn academics on the other. all 3 of those flags could have the same shade of blue. thats where i was goin gwith it. then the pawprint flag our mascot can have somewhere...

sdhusky

Reaction Score
and this is where the clows here come out. yes great plan for a brand. bravo. see, no matter the w/l's were going to struggle $ wise with the tv contracts and opponets selling tix etc. so when u have a chance to make a couple mil, u should. and that chance is by redoing the brand and it has other benefits also. but guys like u can't see past a couple straight forward things. its guys like u who are the issue in storrs. win games??? thats e=mc2 type smart shi* man. holy crappps. its about more than that and u dont get it and never will. u shoul have no replied trying to be a jc or funny. its ppl like u that are the reason uconn can't get out of its own way when it comes to the ath dept.

Hey, you can keep pole vaulting over mouse turds to your hearts content.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
its ppl like u that are the reason uconn can't get out of its own way when it comes to the ath dept.

Right.

Because posters on a message board set direction, hire the president and AD.

Look, it you want to change the direction of UCONN, a few suggestions.

1) Go out and make a few million that you can donate to the school contigent on them insisting coaches only wear blue ties.

2) Dedicate yourself to academics and work towards becoming the UCONN president

3) Go to Michigan as a football player then to Buffalo as an AD and get hired as the Athletic Director.

Those actually might work.

Reaction Score
The Husky paw was a direct rip off of the Clemson Tiger Paw which Clemson has used on their football helmets. (But, I liked it also)

Reaction Score
Dan I understand where you are coming from I do. Having said that I have to say sd is 100% correct. Win freaking games and not a soul is going to give a rats patootie what shape the C is. Penn St. has had the most boring uniforms for years and not had a problem.
As for myself I love the block C and find it to say UConn Football. The new unis they came out with 3 years back are fine to me. The Huskie logo has been around for years why change it now? You do not build tradition by changing things every few years.
I like your constant passion and drive for marketing all things UConn even if reading some most of your posts are like taking an IQ test. I agree with you on working the kids with a Husky to pose with etc. I have said for years for the games they know will not sell out they should pack the house with youth football players. This would sell local players as many a youth dreams of playing for the home team should they be exposed to it at an early age.
Again I do not think people that do not think the same as you such as myself are a problem in storrs. I buy seasons tickets regardless of what the uni looks like, of course I pray we do not end up with clown suits like Maryland....
Just say'n.........

Reaction Score
The Husky paw was a direct rip off of the Clemson Tiger Paw which Clemson has used on their football helmets. (But, I liked it also)

yup, i agree.....my wife( girlfriend of the time) was a Clemson student back then....I had no issues heading down south with my blue and white husky paw.

on a side note...i would kill for a home and home with the Tigers

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Dan I understand where you are coming from I do. Having said that I have to say sd is 100% correct. Win freaking games and not a soul is going to give a rats patootie what shape the C is. Penn St. has had the most boring uniforms for years and not had a problem.
As for myself I love the block C and find it to say UConn Football. The new unis they came out with 3 years back are fine to me. The Huskie logo has been around for years why change it now? You do not build tradition by changing things every few years.
I like your constant passion and drive for marketing all things UConn even if reading some most of your posts are like taking an IQ test. I agree with you on working the kids with a Husky to pose with etc. I have said for years for the games they know will not sell out they should pack the house with youth football players. This would sell local players as many a youth dreams of playing for the home team should they be exposed to it at an early age.
Again I do not think people that do not think the same as you such as myself are a problem in storrs. I buy seasons tickets regardless of what the uni looks like, of course I pray we do not end up with clown suits like Maryland....
Just say'n.........

the issue is were never going to be michigan or bama or usc. when were 100 they will be 200 age wise. so in the mean tim in order to close the gap any way possible we should be doing. if thats giving our brand a 1up, then do it. in bball we will never be the 6 blue bloods. were winning our way towards there stat lines but its simply a tradition thing. but once the mania kicked off, what did we do? we tried to play big boy any way possible and that includes back then changing/updating our brand. we have done it once before actually twice. but ppl here think im nuts.

Reaction Score
Am i the only one in the world that likes the Husky logo with the tongue hanging out? He seems friendly and that's been the logo since I can remember and it's the logo we won 3 NCs with in bball. It's what people recognize. The UConnblog logo reminds me too much of N Illinois' or Washington's.

Reaction Score
the issue is were never going to be michigan or bama or usc. when were 100 they will be 200 age wise. so in the mean tim in order to close the gap any way possible we should be doing. if thats giving our brand a 1up, then do it. in bball we will never be the 6 blue bloods. were winning our way towards there stat lines but its simply a tradition thing. but once the mania kicked off, what did we do? we tried to play big boy any way possible and that includes back then changing/updating our brand. we have done it once before actually twice. but ppl here think im nuts.

Respectfully disagree. Boise didn't earn respect by wearing ugly uniforms and playing on an ugly field. They earned respect by beating Oklahoma on National Television. You can hang with the big boys. You might not have the tradition, but everybody likes a winner. If you win, it doesn't really matter if people don't like your logo.

I do think there is value in branding and marketing and I absolutely think the University can do a better job with it. But it won't happen overnight. It happens when people like us spread our passion. For instance, my parents are considering getting season tickets next year just b/c they love UConn and they love how much I care and want to be a part of it. That's two folks. It's a small amount but it matters.

The culture will change over time, but winning is also a huge aspect. Calhoun didn't command respect because of branding, but because one-on-one in a tournament, it didn't matter what your tradition was: UConn came to play.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
The UConnblog logo reminds me too much of N Illinois' or Washington's.

agree and i want nothing to do with it.

all i want is teeth and maybe a agressive body depending on what a artist comes up with on the current one.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree. Boise didn't earn respect by wearing ugly uniforms and playing on an ugly field. They earned respect by beating Oklahoma on National Television. You can hang with the big boys. You might not have the tradition, but everybody likes a winner. If you win, it doesn't really matter if people don't like your logo.

I do think there is value in branding and marketing and I absolutely think the University can do a better job with it. But it won't happen overnight. It happens when people like us spread our passion. For instance, my parents are considering getting season tickets next year just b/c they love UConn and they love how much I care and want to be a part of it. That's two folks. It's a small amount but it matters.

The culture will change over time, but winning is also a huge aspect. Calhoun didn't command respect because of branding, but because one-on-one in a tournament, it didn't matter what your tradition was: UConn came to play.

as soon as bsu got a chance at playing/beating big time schools what did they do???
-gimick stuff like the blue turf
-new logo and brand
-new uniforms and stuff like that
-expaneded

its no accident that many teams are doing these things and uconn isn't. is winning the #1 aspect? sure becuase if we dont win football games then were uconn 1999. but once u start winning games u ave to parlay that with other things to help keep u in the light. lville did the same thing also btw and rutgers also...

Reaction Score
Am i the only one in the world that likes the Husky logo with the tongue hanging out? He seems friendly and that's been the logo since I can remember and it's the logo we won 3 NCs with in bball. It's what people recognize. The UConnblog logo reminds me too much of N Illinois' or Washington's.
You guys don't like the northern Illinois husky. Here take a better look at it
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360626334.916368.jpg

sdhusky

Reaction Score

It come down to this...

Are the Yankees famous because they wore pinstripes
or
Are the pinstripes famous because the Yankees wore them.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
HFD - Thanks for making this thread, I'm seeing a lot of really good ideas.

My take:

Name: All sports teams go with 'CONNECTICUT' on the road and 'UCONN' for home. I want these added to the football uni's too. I love our current font - keep that.

Logo: Ditch the UC for men's hoops and C with ball for womens hoops and the old english C for baseball and make all of them the football block C.

Husky: Keep the current Husky or the 80s/90s Husky. I get the desire to want to appear 'meaner' but I think you can keep the logo and just remove all the coloring besides the Blue and White and it begins to looks less cartonish than having a big red tongue.

Colors: Remove all gray and only use gray as an accent color and around the U in UCONN on the uniforms.

Nutmeg logo: Ditch it.

Above all else: Pick something and keep it consistent through all sports and the university. Also, please re-do the football uniforms. We're not Penn State or Alabama. Let Nike go to town with some crazy ideas. Can't hurt.

Also, anyone that says this is stupid and that we should simply win more, well yeah. Of course we want to win more, but building a more streamlined and uniformed brand is only going to help us in the long run.

Reaction Score
Here's my branding idea.

This is exactly right. Nothin gets you noticed like a topless girl at the beach than ten wins. Had we strung together two ten win seasons with a couple eights in the past four years we are not in the bi east today

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Thank God there is another one out there besides me!!!

Not only do I think that the current mascot (or even the pre-90's version) is a quality mascot, but I agree with you 100% that it is the logo that we are associated with. It would be like the Stanford Cardinal taking their tree and putting teeth on it to make it look like a nastier tree. Who gives a f#$k! This is the embodiment of our brand, and I don't think it should be messed with. Our husky is white, not dark with white marks like Washington.

Of course, now that I've had my rant, I'm completely aware of the fact that a change to the symbol is imminent, and there ain't a damned thing I can do about it. It just comforts me that there is at least one more Husky fan out there that likes the current symbol with me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom