the brand prediction(what u want) vs reality thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

the brand prediction(what u want) vs reality thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
More concerned with people actually being in the stadium during intros than what they look like.
So your more concerned with counting the chicken before it's hatched? Try giving the chicken a reason to be hatched and you'll end up with a lot more chickens.

Reaction Score
Not sure how much interest there actually is in the new branding, but it's happening soon (April/May) so here's some info. The "UConn" cat is out of the bag. Coincidentally, there is also an academic rebranding happening, and they're moving to UConn as well. I know that sounds a bit weird, but Pres. seems to think we can be the next "UCLA" or something like that. Who knows. We're not Connecticut anymore, we're UConn. So, that's that.

The Husky Tongue Dog (for lack of better word) is history. I love him as much as the next guy, but the Nike folks didn't think he was aggressive enough. This is a Nike redesign, completely. The new logo is a dog still (thank god) but much more aggressive. Not so much to scare a young child, but enough that you wouldn't want to pet it. Unless you asked first, I suppose. The word marks and secondary logos are nothing earth shattering but a bit more edgy and more importantly unified across all sports (thats the goal, at least).

The new brand is still recognizable, and most of the people who have seen it are excited about it. And hey, now most of our gear is retro! It's the future. It's Nike. I for one welcome our new insect overlords.

Reaction Score
Hopefully they (Nike, the administration) knock one out of the park with this re-branding and I hope they realize who exactly they are targeting. The last time I looked around in the stands it wasn't predominantly 20-30+ year olds. I see as much grey as not and like it or not Connecticut owns UConn.....UConn doesn't own Connecticut and I mean that figuratively more than financially.

Reaction Score
Not sure how much interest there actually is in the new branding, but it's happening soon (April/May) so here's some info. The "UConn" cat is out of the bag. Coincidentally, there is also an academic rebranding happening, and they're moving to UConn as well. I know that sounds a bit weird, but Pres. seems to think we can be the next "UCLA" or something like that. Who knows. We're not Connecticut anymore, we're UConn. So, that's that.

The Husky Tongue Dog (for lack of better word) is history. I love him as much as the next guy, but the Nike folks didn't think he was aggressive enough. This is a Nike redesign, completely. The new logo is a dog still (thank god) but much more aggressive. Not so much to scare a young child, but enough that you wouldn't want to pet it. Unless you asked first, I suppose. The word marks and secondary logos are nothing earth shattering but a bit more edgy and more importantly unified across all sports (thats the goal, at least).

The new brand is still recognizable, and most of the people who have seen it are excited about it. And hey, now most of our gear is retro! It's the future. It's Nike. I for one welcome our new insect overlords.

Thank you for some new, real info. Any idea what they are thinking for the main helmet logo for football?

Look forward to another 100+ posts of people ignoring your post and saying they want to keep Connecticut, keep the old husky, Keep the block C and just generally projecting their bad fashion sense onto our sports teams.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

The complete switch over to UConn: I'm fine with that. Most people call it UConn here, and most of my out-of-state friends know us as UConn. The dog, though....the dog!...to be honest, I'm afraid. I'm a grown man who is actually afraid of a change of a logo...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

I've always thought we needed (crrently need) a more agressive looking logo. However, Siberian Huskies actually look and behave in a friendly manner. That's where the disconnect was/is.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The school is UConn. The state is Connecticut. The teams represent the school, not the state. ECSU, CCSU, Southern, Connecticut College, etc. all have teams and "represent" a region of the state, yet no one cares if the entire name is spelled out. UConn is the way to go.

Reaction Score

looking forward to the changes

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I really hope the football jerseys will have UCONN across the chest like the men's hoop jerseys.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
group 1-michigan, michigan state, penn state, ohio state, minn, iowa, nebraska, west va, north cary, south cary, florida, alabama, mississippi, texas, louie, arkansas, oklahoma, arizona, georgia tech, georgia, vagina, vagina tech, kentucky, tennessee, mizzu, florida state, miss state, wisc, oregon, oregon state, washington, washington state and so on.....

group 2-ucla, usc, umass, usf, ucf, ulm, ull, uh, unlv.....

as u can see i'm not happy about it. but hey, u all would rather hang out with a libreal ass cali school, a private school and a bunch of commuters. this has to be the silliest thing ever. and yet ppl here have been so starved of uniforms and jsut cool stuff in general, that thingslike this look like a good idea right now. scary the drought that has gone on here, its turned this fanbase into just ghosts who are looking for anything.

raise of hands, who think the new toranto raptors logo went over the top agressive to cartoonish and silly?

Reaction Score
group 1-michigan, michigan state, penn state, ohio state, minn, iowa, nebraska, west va, north cary, south cary, florida, alabama, mississippi, texas, louie, arkansas, oklahoma, arizona, georgia tech, georgia, vagina, vagina tech, kentucky, tennessee, mizzu, florida state, miss state, wisc, oregon, oregon state, washington, washington state and so on.....

group 2-ucla, usc, umass, usf, ucf, ulm, ull, uh, unlv.....

as u can see i'm not happy about it. but hey, u all would rather hang out with a libreal ass cali school, a private school and a bunch of commuters. this has to be the silliest thing ever. and yet ppl here have been so starved of uniforms and jsut cool stuff in general, that thingslike this look like a good idea right now. scary the drought that has gone on here, its turned this fanbase into just ghosts who are looking for anything.

raise of hands, who think the new toranto raptors logo went over the top agressive to cartoonish and silly?

You realize Penn State is the same thing as UConn more or less right? and Mississippi is Ole' Miss. And Missouri is Mizzou. Also, UCLA and USC are huge and world famous. How are they group 2?

Also, UPenn is a pretty damn good commuter school.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
You realize Penn State is the same thing as UConn more or less right? and Mississippi is Ole' Miss. And Missouri is Mizzou. Also, UCLA and USC are huge and world famous. How are they group 2?

Also, UPenn is a pretty damn good commuter school.

there are a couple different things
-state names bring value and interest, we are one and were not using it. major screwup. if a state name wasn't important then why does every other school use it??? all those states have big boy fball, and u wonder why we aren't acting the part?
-many commuter and city schools always have a u first or a directional name. uconn sounds like a commuter school
-usc and ucla should like commuter schools becuase of the u. if u notice recently usc has quietly been moving towards "southern cali".
-upenn is a ivy school, is that where u want our fball program 2 go???
-ole miss is a nice nickname for mississippi, see how the 2 coexist??? that can be uconn-ct if we ever did it right.
-how is penn state the same as uconn. psu has a p first and they share it with penn state term wise. they dont focus on psu. they also are already in a big boy conf, have the bigegst alum group and have a shitton on history and tradition. were trying to capture a fanbase and rise, nothing says the state of connecticut like a nickname instead of the state name.....

basically is comes down to this. no matter how many of u guys on here think your smart and so cool, there has to be a good reason why about 40 of the states in this country have state schools wih the state name front and center. if you can't get that thru your head then fishy shoud shut down this board. we are literally missing the boat so bad its hard for me to not cry about it. doe shte term uconn have value? yes it does, great value. but its not the front porch name, thats the issue. that needed to be our nice nickname and 2nd tier name etc. we have fudged this up real bad.

like i have said all along. we half got it right. and doing this half right, is doing things wrong. go ahead and rip me now. before we had a new poser and a kid on campus who knows someone in the know spill beans i was hear telling u all about whats coming. its wasn't made up. but wait, hfd has no info. nevermind. keep clowning it up all of u. be proud when were tied with umass for 5th in the mac east becuase thats clearly where all of u want to be. no vision no leadership no balls.

Reaction Score
-state names bring value and interest, we are one and were not using it. major screwup. if a state name wasn't important then why does every other school use it??? all those states have big boy fball, and u wonder why we aren't acting the part?
-many commuter and city schools always have a u first or a directional name. uconn sounds like a commuter school
-usc and ucla should like commuter schools becuase of the u. if u notice recently usc has quietly been moving towards "southern cali".
-ole miss is a nice nickname for mississippi, see how the 2 coexist??? that can be uconn-ct if we ever did it right.
-how is penn state the same as uconn. psu has a p first and they share it with penn state term wise. they dont focus on psu. they also are already in a big boy conf, have the bigegst alum group and have a ton on history and tradition. were trying to capture a fanbase and rise, nothing says the state of connecticut like a nickname instead of the state name.....

basically is comes down to this. no matter how many of u guys on here think your smart and so cool, there has to be a good reason why about 40 of the states in this country have state schools wih the state name front and center. if you can't get that thru your head then fishy shoud shut down this board. we are literally missing the boat so bad its hard for me to not cry about it. doe shte term uconn have value? yes it does, great value. but its not the front porch name, thats the issue. that needed to be our nice nickname and 2nd tier name etc. we have fudged this up real bad.

like i have said all along. we half got it right. and doing this half right, is doing things wrong. go ahead and rip me now. before we had a new poser and a kid on campus who knows someone in the know spill beans i was hear telling u all about whats coming. its wasn't made up. but wait, hfd has no info. nevermind. keep clowning it up all of u. be proud when were tied with umass for 5th in the mac east becuase thats clearly where all of u want to be. no vision no leadership no balls.

I mean, the school did about 5 years of research on this, and has one of the most powerful athletic brands leading the charge on the sports side.

If penn state did what you said, everyone would be forced to call them Pennsylvania State. See how ridiculous that looks?

I get the idea of what you are saying, but people are not going to think we are a commuter school now because we changed our academic and sports brand permanently to UConn. That just isn't true. I have already gave examples of why that is not true. You just like Connecticut better than UConn. That is fine, but it doesn't mean this is wrong.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I mean, the school did about 5 years of research on this, and has one of the most powerful athletic brands leading the charge on the sports side.

If penn state did what you said, everyone would be forced to call them Pennsylvania State. See how ridiculous that looks?

I get the idea of what you are saying, but people are not going to think we are a commuter school now because we changed our academic and sports brand permanently to UConn. That just isn't true. I have already gave examples of why that is not true. You just like Connecticut better than UConn. That is fine, but it doesn't mean this is wrong.

penn state is still a state name and feel to it. uconn is not connected enough to connecticut. ppl world wide dont get it like u and i do. thats the whole point. using connecticut and uconn together to connect the 2. instead were going to distance them more. mizzu and the actual state name? same thing. its a short version but eveeryone knows. we failed with this and continue to.

u know what the word "conn" sounds like? yea "con". were are the only school to be so dumb as to just let this layup of a joke always play out every time a announced with some type of speach issue says our name. its life the ped state joke acept this one is actually aproved by our great leadership. every time there is any news in this state, ppl imediately say uconn and not ct or connecticut. that looks horrible all over the interwebs. ppl want to refer to states thru college sports and thats just a dam fact. and we continue to butcher it.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
-how is penn state the same as uconn. psu has a p first and they share it with penn state term wise. they dont focus on psu. they also are already in a big boy conf, have the bigegst alum group and have a ton on history and tradition. were trying to capture a fanbase and rise, nothing says the state of connecticut like a nickname instead of the state name.....

Sorry, but you are flat wrong on this. UConn is a national brand as UConn. Connecticut as an athletics program means nothing outside of the state and maybe New England. 5-10 years ago, the brand was still building. I'd come out to California, saying I went to UConn, and people would respond with "....Alaska?"

Today, you say UConn and we're known nationally for the following: "Great school. Great basketball program. And how bout that women's basketball program". Football has a long way to go. I got a "UConn has a football team?" this year. But that is our MO.

We've built a brand. You can go to the Nike Store in Los Angeles in March and see the following schools represented with their own displays and basketball jerseys and gear: UConn, UNC, Kentucky, Arizona, Duke, and Cuse. That's a national branding that's taken years to build. And I'm sure Nike and studies and market research have made that crystal clear to the administration.

We are UConn. And we are here to stay

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Sorry, but you are flat wrong on this. UConn is a national brand as UConn. Connecticut as an athletics program means nothing outside of the state and maybe New England. 5-10 years ago, the brand was still building. I'd come out to California, saying I went to UConn, and people would respond with "....Alaska?"

Today, you say UConn and we're known nationally for the following: "Great school. Great basketball program. And how bout that women's basketball program". Football has a long way to go. I got a "UConn has a football team?" this year. But that is our MO.

We've built a brand. You can go to the Nike Store in Los Angeles in March and see the following schools represented with their own displays and basketball jerseys and gear: UConn, UNC, Kentucky, Arizona, Duke, and Cuse. That's a national branding that's taken years to build. And I'm sure Nike and studies and market research have made that crystal clear to the administration.

We are UConn. And we are here to stay

or u can go to cali and say i went to connecticut. thats not is alaska becuas ei went to 2nd grade and learned my 50 states and i know thats a state and its not very close to alaska either. my 2 year old place mat had a map on it so i know that also...

th epoint is it took years to make uconn relevent when the whole dam time we could have built the state name without having to explain where uconn is. thats the crime in the whole issue. the other one is the difference in each sports brand. uc, uconn ct etc.

for all of you that like this uconn vs ct thing, fess up this then, how come you like or are okay with the block C. that doesn't stand for uconn, it stands for connecticut. u relaize that right? so what the school just did was confuse the 2 some more. how are people from cali going to know a block C stands for uconn?????

think about that. becuase none of you are thinking with your heads on straight about this. the identity crisis continues and ppl here are blind to it. i may not like uconn vs ct, but if your going to rock uconn, atleast match the logo to the brand right?!?!!?!?

Reaction Score
or u can go to cali and say i went to connecticut. thats not is alaska becuas ei went to 2nd grade and learned my 50 states and i know thats a state and its not very close to alaska either. my 2 year old place mat had a map on it so i know that also...

th epoint is it took years to make uconn relevent when the whole dam time we could have built the state name without having to explain where uconn is. thats the crime in the whole issue. the other one is the difference in each sports brand. uc, uconn ct etc.

for all of you that like this uconn vs ct thing, fess up this then, how come you like or are okay with the block C. that doesn't stand for uconn, it stands for connecticut. u relaize that right? so what the school just did was confuse the 2 some more. how are people from cali going to know a block C stands for uconn?????

think about that. becuase none of you are thinking with your heads on straight about this. the identity crisis continues and ppl here are blind to it. i may not like uconn vs ct, but if your going to rock uconn, atleast match the logo to the brand right?!?!!?!?

I hate the Block C. It's bland and no one knows what the hell it means. I would be very surprised if it is not completely dropped with the re-branding. Hopefully new Husky or UConn on the Helmets (similar to Pitt). Jangles what you have to say about that?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I hate the Block C. It's bland and no one knows what the hell it means. I would be very surprised if it is not completely dropped with the re-branding. Hopefully new Husky or UConn on the Helmets (similar to Pitt). Jangles what you have to say about that?

the block c is losing the white outline and getting red. i stand by my opinions but i still question how so many cna be ok witht he block c being connecticut and yet were going uconn. its a complete mix of interests. but ppl here will still hammer me for everything under the sun.

everyone here is fustrated and when they think about things realize uconn is in deep crap. but those same ppl dont have the balls to go after ward or susan when something not right. so good ole hfd is willing to yell and scream so instead of supporting him, everyone makes me out to be the bad guy like im the one who make these decisions.

uconn vs ct? i like the other side of what they picked. but for those that like what they picked, then explain to me why they didn't fix the issue...ppl here are just blue glasses blind to whats going on. your happy becuase u think new ladership will lead us to the promise land. it wont becuase they are failing. the last group of leaders failed becuase they didn't do anything. this gourp will fail becuase they simply dont get it and are tyring to do things and doing them wrong.

Reaction Score
the block c is losing the white outline and getting red. i stand by my opinions but i still question how so many cna be ok witht he block c being connecticut and yet were going uconn. its a complete mix of interests. but ppl here will still hammer me for everything under the sun.

everyone here is fustrated and when they think about things realize uconn is in deep crap. but those same ppl dont have the balls to go after ward or susan when something not right. so good ole hfd is willing to yell and scream so instead of supporting him, everyone makes me out to be the bad guy like im the one who make these decisions.

uconn vs ct? i like the other side of what they picked. but for those that like what they picked, then explain to me why they didn't fix the issue...ppl here are just blue glasses blind to whats going on. your happy becuase u think new ladership will lead us to the promise land. it wont becuase they are failing. the last group of leaders failed becuase they didn't do anything. this gourp will fail becuase they simply dont get it and are tyring to do things and doing them wrong.

You have that confirmed? If so, that is idiotic and completely defeats the purpose of a rebranding, unless everyone is taking that block C, which, in that case, is also completely idiotic, considering, like you said, we are using "UConn" to brand the school. If they don't match, it's a huge fail. Like I said, I would be really surprised if the block C isn't dropped altogether. Would be an all-time worst for Nike.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
enjoy your new brand that u and so many defend here noon stop....

Reaction Score
If there is going to be red outline in the block C on the helmet, then I imagine there is going to have to be some red in uniform as well, red white and or flag blue stripes? Is there any resemblance of the old husky and does the new one look more like our old one or more like northeastern, n Illinois or washington's?

Reaction Score
enjoy your new brand that u and so many defend here noon stop....

? I just said that if they use the block C it's going to suck. The two guys who work for UConn that have posted here have never said they were keeping the block C. You are the only person I have heard say that.

Husky25

Reaction Score

Didn't make it to 3rd grade and learn to proof read though. It's the little things, ya' heard? (I kid, I kid!!!)

You make some good points, but I think you really are devoting a lot more calories to this than necessary.

For the record, I've never heard anyone refer to the University of Southern California as Southern Cali. I've heard, "Southern Cal," "SC," "SoCal," and "USC". USC also refers to the University of South Carolina.

At the end of the day, I believe that "Connecticut" is an awkward word to pronounce, especially for the young kids. And that's a marketers goal right? Short. Sweet. 140 characters. Brand loyalty at an early age...How does that goal get realized if the 7 year old can't pronounce the name of the state?

That is why I think the shift to UConn is being exploited. No other school can claim it. For one person's U of M, U of C, U of L, CU, KU, UK, another person thinks of a different institution. Why did Pittsburgh go back to using "PITT" after all those years of trying to rebrand to Pittsburgh? Do you know what Pitt sounds like? Armpit, pits of Hell, garbage pit....Regardless, they went with what worked.

Finally, ours on the Boneyard is not the tree you need to be barking up. Is there an opportunity to consult for the UConn Marketing Dept.? If so, I'd say that is right up your alley. Go make a $$million.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i have been called out once by susan and once by warde in the past months and a half. they dont want me close to anything uconn becuase i expose everything they get away with on a silly message board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom