The Alex watch | Page 7 | The Boneyard

The Alex watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Like 99% of high level players his dream since he was a kid has been to play in the NBA. All of his UConn peers are gone and he really has nothing else to prove in the NCAA. I would selfishly like him to stay but yeah, he's gone.

Reaction Score
Like 99% of high level players his dream since he was a kid has been to play in the NBA. All of his UConn peers are gone and he really has nothing else to prove in the NCAA. I would selfishly like him to stay but yeah, he's gone.
Good take….most of the guys he started with are gone…does he want to be the elder statesman?

JLW

Reaction Score
I like the team with or without AK. Like Tristan Newtons return, he’s an AA candidate if he comes back. If he goes, Jaylin Stewart will be fun to watch fill his shoes. I hope he returns !

Reaction Score
My gut feeling is he's actually on the fence, he's waiting for the last minute, including last minute workouts, to see if any team would guarantee him a deal. I think he knows 1st round is unlikely, but he would be willing to stay in the draft for a guaranteed early-2nd deal if a team can make that promise. The fact that he's still working out for Portland suggests that such a promise has yet to materialize, but this may be the last chance.

I think him returning is slightly favored.

Reaction Score
2nd round picks require a negotiated contract since they are not on the guaranteed rookie scale. A LOT of them are more or less already negotiated with the agent ahead of time before the draft, which is why you sometimes see guys oddly fall 20 picks farther than they are supposed to or go. But by this early deadline they may not all be.

So Karaban is looking for a relatively straightforward first round promise from a team that is known to stick to such things and/or that his agent has had substantial conversations with teams and know what they'll be offering in terms of guarantee, whether that's a team in the 30s or one later that has strongly suggested they'll offer multiple guaranteed years.

Reaction Score
Wonder if UConn is pushing a last minute pretty NIL package
Given everything Hurley has said in the past I doubt it. I don't think he's trying to convince Karaban to come back with more money, if he's getting a good offer they want him to go

Reaction Score
highly doubt it. Hurley wants for AK what's best for him and his career...not bribing him
Yes, i doubt some extra thousands will make a difference. But this is a rare case where it makes sense to try to convince a draft pick to stay…Hurley seems to be all in on going for 3 in a row.

Reaction Score
If Alex shot 3s the way Alex can, he could have had a shot to go 25-35.

Right now Alex is going to go 40-60.

As far as playing time is concerned, the NBA is about size and athleticism. He's not a good athlete for NBA standards. He gets drafted based on his 3 and D potential. His D is average for college standards, more than adequate. For NBA it is below average. So unless he catches fire from 3, it is going to be very difficult for Alex to see playing time next year in the NBA. Likely it is the G league the entire year.

Reaction Score
2nd round picks require a negotiated contract since they are not on the guaranteed rookie scale. A LOT of them are more or less already negotiated with the agent ahead of time before the draft, which is why you sometimes see guys oddly fall 20 picks farther than they are supposed to or go. But by this early deadline they may not all be.

So Karaban is looking for a relatively straightforward first round promise from a team that is known to stick to such things and/or that his agent has had substantial conversations with teams and know what they'll be offering in terms of guarantee, whether that's a team in the 30s or one later that has strongly suggested they'll offer multiple guaranteed years.
Here's my question about the 2nd round scenario. Any guarantees from a team can be easily erased when a team picks Karaban prior to the guarantee team.

It seems the agent might have to ask around to see if anyone else likes Alex high in the 2nd round. That takes time.

If I were a team looking at a diamond in the rough, I would not tell anyone anything. I might have a ranked list of players I want, and I might say to the agent, if your guy is still there, I guarantee you we would take him IF Player A is not available, and we'd give him a guaranteed contract.

But you cant rely on any of this.

Reaction Score
Here's my question about the 2nd round scenario. Any guarantees from a team can be easily erased when a team picks Karaban prior to the guarantee team.

It seems the agent might have to ask around to see if anyone else likes Alex high in the 2nd round. That takes time.

If I were a team looking at a diamond in the rough, I would not tell anyone anything. I might have a ranked list of players I want, and I might say to the agent, if your guy is still there, I guarantee you we would take him IF Player A is not available, and we'd give him a guaranteed contract.

But you cant rely on any of this.
Well the player does have some leverage in the second round, actually more than in the first. A team won't generally surprise pick them, because the player can say I don't want to play there and only negotiate a one year contract. Teams don't want that kind of surprise, which is why the contracts are negotiated in advance generally.

Teams and players both want stability and security, so they work together and communicate.

Reaction Score
Today is the day. It’s a win win situation for him. Staying in the draft means that he has been told there is guaranteed money. Coming back to have a shot at 3 peat is the ultimate glory as Husky.

Reaction Score
Alex needs to go. Why stay? selfishly we want him to stay but if he were my son, I would tell him to go and try the NBA, There is nothing wrong with a two-way contract with the right team. The key for Alex is to be drafted by the "right" team.
Why stay? Fair question if this was any other historical time. But AK will get paid if he returns. And he will get a degree. And he would likely increase his value as a basketball player, if last year was any indication. To wit, he was markedly improved last year. One can surmise that he would be even better this coming year. So there are objective reasons for him to return. Folks, he was huge for us, and hopefully will be huge for us in the future, but this young man is not projected to be an NBA starter like Castle or DC. He has lots to gain by coming back.

Reaction Score
Well the player does have some leverage in the second round, actually more than in the first. A team won't generally surprise pick them, because the player can say I don't want to play there and only negotiate a one year contract. Teams don't want that kind of surprise, which is why the contracts are negotiated in advance generally.

Teams and players both want stability and security, so they work together and communicate.
I think this is what happened with Chris Livingston last year, he worked out a deal pre-draft with the Bucks and "fell" towards the back end of the 2nd round to them.

awy

Reaction Score
having a negotiated guaranteed deal in the second round isn't half bad as an outcome. you get a bit less money up front but can have a wider selection of situations. a guy like AK needs to be on the right team to be effective.

Reaction Score

I understand that. But if I'm a team who wants a certain player, I'm not signaling who I want for fear someone else will grab him. If I take a guy and he doesn't want to stick with my club, I welcome that, if only as a signal to a future player that they can pound sand. I'll hold those rights.

Reaction Score
I understand that. But if I'm a team who wants a certain player, I'm not signaling who I want for fear someone else will grab him. If I take a guy and he doesn't want to stick with my club, I welcome that, if only as a signal to a future player that they can pound sand. I'll hold those rights.
But if they don’t tell the agent they will give him an adequate deal, he could go back to school. It’s diff with a guy like TNew, since he’s in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom