The Alex watch | Page 8 | The Boneyard

The Alex watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Many players opt for 2nd round/G league as they simply want to play basketball and not deal with the college requirements. AK is in a different spot. He (and his family) place a value on education. That being said, education can be acquired at any point in life. If he is guaranteed something similar to what AJ received as a 2nd round pick (approximately $2M guaranteed) and up to $7.6M for the full contract is that sufficient for him to jump to pro-ball? The G-league is a grind. The Sanogo 2-way deal makes staying a no-brainer. NIL makes this a tougher decision. Which is a better long term decision? There are so many differing opinions on this, but I would take the guaranteed money of a high 2nd round pick.

Reaction Score
I understand that. But if I'm a team who wants a certain player, I'm not signaling who I want for fear someone else will grab him. If I take a guy and he doesn't want to stick with my club, I welcome that, if only as a signal to a future player that they can pound sand. I'll hold those rights.
It's not usually worth it to "hide" your intent in the 2nd round. The 2nd round is full of flawed prospects that are in the eye of the beholder and/or similar level to others.

You can only hold the rights for a year since you need to offer a minimum contract and you'll piss off powerful agents and then end up with nothing. It's mostly risk with little reward. If you like a guy a lot, just offer more guaranteed money.

Reaction Score
Portland promised to take Cliff Robinson in the first round. I remember watching him squirm in the green room after round one ended. I think he was the last player in the room IIRC. By the time they called his name at #36, he was back in his hotel room. So much for promises.
So Alex shouldn’t trust a promise because it benefits Huskies fans?

Reaction Score
Many players opt for 2nd round/G league as they simply want to play basketball and not deal with the college requirements. AK is in a different spot. He (and his family) place a value on education. That being said, education can be acquired at any point in life. If he is guaranteed something similar to what AJ received as a 2nd round pick (approximately $2M guaranteed) and up to $7.6M for the full contract is that sufficient for him to jump to pro-ball? The G-league is a grind. The Sanogo 2-way deal makes staying a no-brainer. NIL makes this a tougher decision. Which is a better long term decision? There are so many differing opinions on this, but I would take the guaranteed money of a high 2nd round pick.
Education, particularly in Alex’s case, can also be achieved remotely. And I agree with you, if he is promised early second round he stays in draft.

Reaction Score
I majored in English at UConn, so maybe you math guys can help me out:

I'm seeing:
99.9% chance he goes
99% chance he stays
50% chance he goes
50% chance he stays
0% chance he stays

So if I do my math correctly-
There is a .9% chance he goes to the NBA??
I like our odds for a 3peat!!!

Reaction Score
I majored in English at UConn, so maybe you math guys can help me out:

I'm seeing:
99.9% chance he goes
99% chance he stays
50% chance he goes
50% chance he stays
0% chance he stays

So if I do my math correctly-
There is a .9% chance he goes to the NBA??
I like our odds for a 3peat!!!
=.9% chance he stays. 99.1% he does nothing.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Having a handshake negotiated deal a month from the draft is a lot different than having a signed deal the day after the draft.

Things change, especially during the draft, which could change or eliminate his deal.

Reaction Score
Having a handshake negotiated deal a month from the draft is a lot different than having a signed deal the day after the draft.

Things change, especially during the draft, which could change or eliminate his deal.
Yes he likely will want several teams seriously interested if he thinks he's an early 2nd rounder at this point in the process. I assume that is why he did the Portland workout yesterday.

Reaction Score
But if they don’t tell the agent they will give him an adequate deal, he could go back to school. It’s diff with a guy like TNew, since he’s in the draft.
Can't go back to school after today. That's all I'm saying. From Alex's perspective, there are no absolute guarantees after the first round.

Reaction Score
I hope Alex gets good advice. I bet if he asked Dre and Sanago about their decisions last year, they probably wished they had stayed in retrospect. Dre's game didnt develop at all sitting on the bench in Milwaukee, and he could easily get cut this summer. He could have earned similar NIL money, and improved his draft stock to the first round, if he had stayed.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I think he should be cautious. Don't you?
I think he should make the best decision he can based on what his agent tells him. He shouldn't come back out of caution if his agent is telling him he's got 6 teams who want him early in the second round and are going to give him two guaranteed years just because there's a chance things might not work out. That's why you have an agent.

Reaction Score
I hope Alex gets good advice. I bet if he asked Dre and Sanago about their decisions last year, they probably wished they had stayed in retrospect. Dre's game didnt develop at all sitting on the bench in Milwaukee, and he could easily get cut this summer. He could have earned similar NIL money, and improved his draft stock to the first round, if he had stayed.
Andre shot 37% from 3 and his shot looked better(while still needing improvement), looks like he's been developing to me. This sentiment keeps floating around on here that Andre and the others "wasted" their years and I don't think some of ya'll grasp what it means to be in an NBA development program and not having to deal with school and NIL obligations. Andre's first year of his contract was for $1.1M, he made out fine.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Andre shot 37% from 3 and his shot looked better(while still needing improvement), looks like he's been developing to me. This sentiment keeps floating around on here that Andre and the others "wasted" their years and I don't think some of ya'll grasp what it means to be in an NBA development program and not having to deal with school and NIL obligations. Andre's first year of his contract was for $1.1M, he made out fine.

Yeah Dre is fine and would've been even better if he wasn't infected by the cancer that is "Doc Rivers"

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Yeah, agree re Andre.

Alex did make a comment indicating that Adama had suggested being on a 2-way wasn't all sunshine & roses but that doesn't mean Adama regrets leaving. Just means he was being honest about not being on the big club for long stretches.

Reaction Score
Yeah, agree re Andre.

Alex did make a comment indicating that Adama had suggested being on a 2-way wasn't all sunshine & roses but that doesn't mean Adama regrets leaving. Just means he was being honest about not being on the big club for long stretches.
All true, but Sanogo left as the reigning Final Four MOP. He had nothing left to accomplish at UConn or in college. The same cannot be said of Karaban. Yes, he's a two time champion, but there were 3 of 4 better starters on the team. There's definitely more for him to do. Same for Newton a year ago, and look what that did for him. (granted, probably not much re his draft stock)

Reaction Score
This.

For what it's worth, Alex brings more than his playing skills to next year's team. He brings continuity and leadership. If he does end up coming back, I think our chances of getting the three-peat are dramatically enhanced.

That said, he owes us absolutely nothing. He's a great kid and I will be rooting for him regardless of his decision.

(I think he ends up leaving after getting guaranteed money.)
Well said

Reaction Score
Yeah, agree re Andre.

Adama had to leave. No NIL being a major issue. Plus MOP. What was he going to get better at? Alex has stuff he can work on imo plus he gets NIL

Reaction Score
AJ is not getting cut. He shined in limited minutes and looked great in the playoffs. Giannis LOVES him. He’s poised for a larger role if anything. Totally disagree on him. Adama didn’t have a terrific experience by many accounts but he showed what he’s capable of in the chances he had. It would only take a change of scenery for him or someone on their depth chart above him for his role to expand to at least be a full time NBA bench piece.

Reaction Score

The 90s called, they want their NBA back.

Reaction Score
Adama had to leave. No NIL being a major issue. Plus MOP. What was he going to get better at? Alex has stuff he can work on imo plus he gets NIL

IDK why there is this pervasive myth that foreign players can't get NIL. He got NIL. Plenty of it. The funds just have to get to him differently. He and Samson made their deal down in the Bahamas when they took a summer trip together.

Reaction Score
I would be flabbergasted if Andre is cut in Milwaukee. He'd get a contract somewhere else if so, probably better than the one he's on now. He should probably root for it.

Reaction Score
Adama definitely made the right move.

I'd say that Andre had a much bigger risk in staying and negatively impacting his draft stock than Karaban does. Karaban is a super high floor player who's stock really can't go lower, even if he comes back and has the same exact year, he's still a solid 2nd rounder. Andre's shooting was something that could have cratered his stock if he had stayed another season and couldn't improve it. He made the right move by going. I think Karaban should come back for another year and try to get into the first round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom