The Alex watch | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Alex watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Per X-AK working out for Trailblazers today along with 5 or 6 other guys. Blazers picks in Second Round are 34 and 40
Some people assuming this means he’s gone. Idk enough about nba world to comment.

Reaction Score
Here's four more first-round mocks from CBS analysts, none of which have AK in the first round:

CBS Sports Mocks

So it's almost certain that AK's decision will come down to whether he gets some kind of promise of guaranteed money from those picking in the early second round. This makes sense that he's working out with Portland today, given their two early second-round picks.

I'm imagining that unless he gets some promise of being drafted with more than just a two-way, he's likely to return. He'd certainly do no worse than a non-guaranteed contract next year, and could potentially do better.

But we'll have to wait and see what Portland might tell his agent. It'll probably come down to the wire tomorrow. And that's fine, this is a huge decision for AK.

Reaction Score
Consistently in the early to mid second round. He should stay in the draft. Get in the roster. He will prove his worth.

Reaction Score
We are too old. Think like a mature college kid. Does the NBA or UConn have better groupies?

Ps: Yes I struggled for that final word, had to be slightly PC.

Reaction Score
Hurley made it sound like a much less complicated decision than most of us are making it out to be…1st round or return to school, we might be overthinking it.
Only Alex and his close circle including Hurley know what teams are telling him or promising him. But I trust Hurley, as I’m sure Alex does. Unless a team has told Alex we aren’t letting you slip by pick 30, or would be willing to provide first round type guarantees in the early second round, I’d imagine he’d return.

Reaction Score
Per X-AK working out for Trailblazers today along with 5 or 6 other guys. Blazers picks in Second Round are 34 and 40
If they offer him a guaranteed contract like Andre Jackson with the Bucks, I think he's gone. I still want to believe Hurley when he said 1st round pick he leaves, 2nd round pick he comes back. But did he say that with the stipulation of the 2nd round pick not being a guaranteed contract? Because that changes everything

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
What a great NIL idea if he returns to UConn - an Alex Karaban Watch! Set the alarm on it and as the alarm time approaches you hear a countdown, a video appears on the screen with Alex getting the ball, shooting it and the shot is made with zero on the shot clock (and the watch alarm). The watch alarm goes off as a basketball buzzer.

Have a Karaban 2023 series, 2024 series, a dual championship series and a watch with the likeness of Tyler Olander and Alex on the watch and the heading 2 >1.

Reaction Score
Consistently in the early to mid second round. He should stay in the draft. Get in the roster. He will prove his worth.
Eh. Problem with this is it completely contradicts what Hurley said early in the process, unless things have changed. They made it pretty clear that he should only go if he was assured he would go in the 1st round.

Reaction Score
I've been exactly the opposite. Im totally convinced he is gone. I've never wanted to be so wrong in my life.

I have 0 inside information on this or any clue what an NBA front office might want in a player like him. Not exactly many great comps out there. I just don't like thinking about things that suck, so I choose to assume he's coming back.

Reaction Score
Guaranteed 2nd round?? Teams promising a spot on the roster?? That's all nonsense. The less risky path is for him to return, get his NIL money, and build his outside shot making ability. That's his only ticket to make it in the NBA, as he doesn't have the size, speed or athleticism that teams draft.

Reaction Score
with the new CBA we will probably see more and more 2nd round picks get guaranteed contracts with 2 years guaranteed so it's not the cut and dry "first round, leave" mantra that BYers are holding onto.
BYers are stating that in large part because that’s what Hurley said.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hurley made it sound like a much less complicated decision than most of us are making it out to be…1st round or return to school, we might be overthinking it.
I don't remember Hurley saying it quite like that. Wasn't it more "if he goes in the 1st round it's a no-brainer"? Otherwise, he'll need to think about it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't remember Hurley saying it quite like that. Wasn't it more "if he goes in the 1st round it's a no-brainer"? Otherwise, he'll need to think about it.
I think he's waiting because he's likely borderline. Either very late first or early 2nd and that makes it not a "no brainer" either way.

Reaction Score
I'd say it's about 75/25 he's gone. I don't really buy Hurley's "first round or return" statement, but I do think Karaban wants a guaranteed deal (not a two-way). I think he will get that promise.

Fact is he'll make more in NIL money than he would on a two-way contract, plus he'd get to enjoy the college experience another year and get his degree. No reason for him to leave for anything less than a guaranteed deal.

Reaction Score
He is taking all his time because it is a win-win situation. If he stays he got word he’s getting a good draft spot , comes back and is all American searching for legendary status.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Here's four more first-round mocks from CBS analysts, none of which have AK in the first round:

CBS Sports Mocks

So it's almost certain that AK's decision will come down to whether he gets some kind of promise of guaranteed money from those picking in the early second round. This makes sense that he's working out with Portland today, given their two early second-round picks.

I'm imagining that unless he gets some promise of being drafted with more than just a two-way, he's likely to return. He'd certainly do no worse than a non-guaranteed contract next year, and could potentially do better.

But we'll have to wait and see what Portland might tell his agent. It'll probably come down to the wire tomorrow. And that's fine, this is a huge decision for AK.
This.

For what it's worth, Alex brings more than his playing skills to next year's team. He brings continuity and leadership. If he does end up coming back, I think our chances of getting the three-peat are dramatically enhanced.

That said, he owes us absolutely nothing. He's a great kid and I will be rooting for him regardless of his decision.

(I think he ends up leaving after getting guaranteed money.)

Reaction Score
Eh. Problem with this is it completely contradicts what Hurley said early in the process, unless things have changed. They made it pretty clear that he should only go if he was assured he would go in the 1st round.
If it’s not likely he makes the first round on this draft, odds are not good he makes the first round in a stronger draft next year. That’s what I’m basing this on.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
That’s silly. Can’t I just as easily say “feels like if he knew he wasn’t coming back he would’ve announced that by now”?
I know absolutely nothing here but feel like it would take more work to remove yourself from the process than to continue with the process you’re already in.

Do people even make announcements to say they are staying in the draft? Genuine question.

Reaction Score
Probably tough to return after getting a taste of the NBA these past several weeks. Coming back is a nice option but if he gets any high probability of being drafted, I think he will stay in the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom