The Alex watch | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Alex watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He's going to play less next year if he comes back, than he ever has at UConn. He's old. It's theoretically likely, but coming off back to back titles, he has a little extra positive visibility.
Do not agree. He may play a few less minutes but he will expand his game, put the ball on the floor taking it to the rim more. The draft estimates him to be somewhere between 30 and 50 in the ones I’ve seen. He can move up next year.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
He's going to play less next year if he comes back, than he ever has at UConn. He's old. It's theoretically likely, but coming off back to back titles, he has a little extra positive visibility.

I don't think that is true. If you have an Alex Karaban you find a way to get him on the floor. I mean he led the team in minutes (or was tied) as a frosh. There is no way Hurley has a junior Karaban available and gives him LESS minutes. I would imagine he would be right around where he has been for the last two years. I know what you are getting at (I think) with minutes needed for Stewart and McNeeley, but there are ways to have your best players on the floor. You have to get out of the box you are thinking in.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Does his lack of an announcement lean toward staying in the draft? I know deadline is tomorrow, but what is benefit of waiting till the last minute? If he stays in the draft no action is required
If he was 100% sure either way I think he would have made it clear by now.

If he's leaning towards coming back, there isn't really any downside to keeping his name in the draft until tomorrow with the hopes that a couple teams would give a verbal commitment to a guaranteed roster spot and/or more guaranteed money at the last minute.

If he's leaning towards leaving, I'm sure the staff already knows that and has quietly reached out to some portal options to keep things warm until it is official.

Reaction Score
Does his lack of an announcement lean toward staying in the draft? I know deadline is tomorrow, but what is benefit of waiting till the last minute? If he stays in the draft no action is required
I believe I saw somewhere he had a workout with a team today, so I wouldn't read too much into the lack of announcement either way yet

Reaction Score
The idea of Alex, Aidan, and Liam on the floor at the same time makes me giddy. They're all smart, cut well, know how to use screens ,and can score. This is not meant to marginalize Solo, Hassan, Samson, or Jaylin, but we're becoming known for having super savvy hoops competitors (killers).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't think that is true. If you have an Alex Karaban you find a way to get him on the floor. I mean he led the team in minutes (or was tied) as a frosh. There is no way Hurley has a junior Karaban available and gives him LESS minutes. I would imagine he would be right around where he has been for the last two years. I know what you are getting at (I think) with minutes needed for Stewart and McNeeley, but there are ways to have your best players on the floor. You have to get out of the box you are thinking in.
Yeah, I'm not knocking Alex. His freshman minutes were because we had no real options behind him and he was such a solid, mature freshman. Then he played some minutes at 5 last year and it took time for Stewart to emerge. I don't think you'd want him playing as much as a he did as a freshman.

Deeper draft class next year and I just feel like this is as good a shot as he's likely to get. Happy to be wrong about that. We are certainly better with him.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm not knocking Alex. His freshman minutes were because we had no real options behind him and he was such a solid, mature freshman. Then he played some minutes at 5 last year and it took time for Stewart to emerge. I don't think you'd want him playing as much as a he did as a freshman.

Deeper draft class next year and I just feel like this is as good a shot as he's likely to get. Happy to be wrong about that. We are certainly better with him.
In a perfect world I don't think Hurley likes playing ANY player more than 30 minutes a game. He only does so out of necessity at times. Under 30 minutes with depth allows for intensity to stay up on both ends.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Hopefully, we'll see him in Storrs.
Animated GIF

awy

Reaction Score
I'm assuming he's gone. At least a few teams should like him enough to give him a deal even in the 2nd round. The question is what would they do as replacement, going for a more veteran player from the portal or swing on a developmental player from international recruiting.

Reaction Score
I think AK is gone and will be a solid NBA role player for 10+ years

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
That is not true. Newton improved his draft stock under similar circumstances. The idea that he can't improve his stock by coming back is nonsense. There are no guarantees, but it certainly is possible.
If he comes back and has a 40% or better year from three and develops that in lane floater he improves his status. He has enough game to play a significant role for a NBA team but he has to be a player that shoots the three as his main weapon. Everything else will play off of that from an offensive perspective. I think because of his length he will be better defensively than expected. He has gotten better defensively almost from game to game during his UConn career.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Coach Hurley had said earlier that he hopes that Alex doesn't make him wait as long as Ajax did. You would certainly think that Alex wouldn't delay announcing his decision unless there is something still up in the air. So, it seems to me that his agent must still be actively working on getting a commitment from one or more of the NBA teams.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Hurley made it sound like a much less complicated decision than most of us are making it out to be…1st round or return to school, we might be overthinking it.
Hurley will know Alex's final decision before us. If nothing is heard on the portal side of things from the staff, then they expect him to return.

Reaction Score
I am not objective. I want him to return. I think he is so important for what we want to do. And I say that while also recognizing that Stewart and IA will have huge roles, even if AK returns. I think IA will be solid. I think Solo will be a stud. But AK is the glue. He comes back and suddenly the rest of the guys have some cover. Hugely important.
Is he NBA ready? who cares. This conversation is about money, not NBA readiness.

Reaction Score
No way he plays less if he comes back. I know McNeely and Stewart are there but Hurley will figure it out. Reed and Johnson are solid so I can easily see Hurley going small to get the best 5 on the floor. The projections I have seen are anywhere from mid second round to not getting drafted at all. Tough choice for the kid and wish him the best no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom