The “New” PAC12 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The “New” PAC12

Reaction Score
Stanford and maybe Cal might get ACC offers. If that happens the B1G might take another look at them as well.
They would need west coast travel partners (e.g., SDSU?). If so, would UConn then be considered as the 4th team? I know, I'm grasping at straws at this point, but it is so damn infuriating how we have been treated by lesser programs, who have accomplished zilch. College sports clearly isn't a meritocracy.

Reaction Score
N
I doubt Stanford and Cal care that much. Their status as elite universities is not going to change and if they really wanted to, they can support high level athletics with their endowment (Stanford might)
I doubt that any of their endowments permit the funds to be used for athletics.

Now, they could get enough wealthy donors to start contributing to support high level athletics but that remains to be seen. I hope so.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm waiting for the announcement, and it will be a sad day for college athletics, that the Pac-10 conference is extinct. I see WSU and OSU going to the MW. It just makes sense and is going to be a financial shock to them. Cal and Stanford I have no clue but the MW might be their option. It just is too weird to think it and I can't imagine them being ok with it. However, what other options do they have? Unfortunately they will need to cut sports in order to survive and that's going to be hard for Stanford because Olympic sports are a huge part of their sports culture.

There is no media deal anymore. So adding schools to the Pac-10 isn't going to save the Apple deal.

It's a sad day for those schools.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm waiting for the announcement, and it will be a sad day for college athletics, that the Pac-10 conference is extinct. I see WSU and OSU going to the MW. It just makes sense and is going to be a financial shock to them. Cal and Stanford I have no clue but the MW might be their option. It just is too weird to think it and I can't imagine them being ok with it. However, what other options do they have? Unfortunately they will need to cut sports in order to survive and that's going to be hard for Stanford because Olympic sports are a huge part of their sports culture.

There is no media deal anymore. So adding schools to the Pac-10 isn't going to save the Apple deal.

It's a sad day for those schools.
I we know see why the Pac 10 didn't want to announce their deal. I suspect that they were worried that what actually did happen what happen.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I we know see why the Pac 10 didn't want to announce their deal. I suspect that they were worried that what actually did happen what happen.
According to the OSU AD, they were very close to agreeing to the deal. I doubt it was truthfully that close but he was pissed because conferences pounced real quick and that agreement went away in a flash.

Reaction Score
I’ve been thinking about this today…Is there any chance of creating a new conference (or new Pac12) that could be national? I have to believe DB has reached out to Stanford, Cal, OSU, and WSU with an olive branch? Their story is literally our story…just 10 years later. I’m not sure who else we could add, but do you think there is any chance of this? What makes it though is that there aren’t really any east coast teams left to partner with the 4 Pac leftovers. Maybe USF? Maybe? Temple? Maybe? Memphis? Ok maybe there re a few teams we could cobble together to Meade a new national PAC 12, but I’m not sure Stanford and Cal would “lower” their academic standards enough. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
I’ve been thinking about this today…Is there any chance of creating a new conference (or new Pac12) that could be national? I have to believe DB has reached out to Stanford, Cal, OSU, and WSU with an olive branch? Their story is literally our story…just 10 years later. I’m not sure who else we could add, but do you think there is any chance of this? What makes it though is that there aren’t really any east coast teams left to partner with the 4 Pac leftovers. Maybe USF? Maybe? Temple? Maybe? Memphis? Ok maybe there re a few teams we could cobble together to Meade a new national PAC 12, but I’m not sure Stanford and Cal would “lower” their academic standards enough. Thoughts?
What networks would be willing to pay for a conference 'cobbled' together?

Certainly you could put together a conference of quality schools- the problem is there is no money left after the other conferences have soaked up all the dollars.

Reaction Score
Publicly, Washington and Oregon might have been saying they might stay in the PAC-12. No way that would actually happen though. Two reasons to do this:

1. Public perception. They didn't want to come across as the bad guys who destroyed the PAC-12. They wanted to come across as doing everything in their power to stay.
2. Negotiating tactics. They wanted the B1G to up their offer as much as possible before signing on the dotted line, knowing all the while they were going to sign.

It's all smoke and mirrors. Money runs sports, like it or not. No one outside of the SEC is turning down a B1G invite, no matter the stipulations, save for Notre Dame.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Publicly, Washington and Oregon might have been saying they might stay in the PAC-12. No way that would actually happen though. Two reasons to do this:

1. Public perception. They didn't want to come across as the bad guys who destroyed the PAC-12. They wanted to come across as doing everything in their power to stay.
2. Negotiating tactics. They wanted the B1G to up their offer as much as possible before signing on the dotted line, knowing all the while they were going to sign.

It's all smoke and mirrors. Money runs sports, like it or not. No one outside of the SEC is turning down a B1G invite, no matter the stipulations, save for Notre Dame.

When is this Rutgirls troll getting banned?

Reaction Score
What networks would be willing to pay for a conference 'cobbled' together?

Certainly you could put together a conference of quality schools- the problem is there is no money left after the other conferences have soaked up all the dollars.
I agree. And also ask what conference isn’t “cobbled together”. All UConn is looking for is more $ and more visibility than they can get in the BE and independent. That’s a pretty low bar. What options do the remaining 4 Pac schools have other than combine with the MWC. Is that lucrative? I don’t know. I think a new conference (or nation New Pac) May get better money than what we have now and what a WAC/MWC Pac leftover merger might get.
Hey, just spitballing.
we have to be trying all angles here.

Reaction Score
I'm in for FB only. Would they consider that? They should. We are a good fit academically, culturally and very successful AD, like Stanford, more than P5 level. We can schedule them in BB OOC. They should put together a west coast conference, add Gonzaga, keep travel regional except for FB and get apple to pay 13M for FB, 7M for other sports. The PAC brand like BE and B12 is worth something.

Reaction Score
I'm in for FB only. Would they consider that? They should. We are a good fit academically, culturally and very successful AD, like Stanford, more than P5 level. We can schedule them in BB OOC. They should put together a west coast conference, add Gonzaga, keep travel regional except for FB and get apple to pay 13M for FB, 7M for other sports. The PAC brand like BE and B12 is worth something.
That’s a fair point. For review sports a cross country conference can work, but is golf or track going to do that trip? Field hockey? I don’t know…but it seems to be the vision of the BIG and Big12.

Reaction Score
That’s a fair point. For review sports a cross country conference can work, but is golf or track going to do that trip? Field hockey? I don’t know…but it seems to be the vision of the BIG and Big12.
Did you know Stanford field hockey play in the American East. The play Vermont, New Hampshire, Albany

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Did you know Stanford field hockey play in the American East. The play Vermont, New Hampshire, Albany
Did not know this

Not that it matters anymore but one of the reasons those who didn't want to leave the BE gave was that we'd have np home for the field hockey team. I guess thast program could have been salvaged if we moved.

Reaction Score
There are only 3 field hockey schools west of the Rockies; travel would be required no matter what.

Reaction Score
Rebuilding the PAC with an emphasis on academic profile.

Wash State - Full PAC
Oregon State - Full PAC
California - Full PAC
Stanford - Full PAC

San Diego State - Full PAC
Air Force - Full PAC

SMU - Full PAC
Tulane - Full PAC
Army - Patriot, PAC Football
Navy - Patriot, PAC Football
UConn - Big East, PAC Football
Villanova - Big East, PAC Football

Yeah, Nova is FCS today, but it would fill an east coast 4, is strong academically, has had football success (FCS national champion, NFL alumni), and delivers the Philadelphia market. These east coast 4 deliver New England to NY to Philly to DC plus an outsized military academy following.

Reaction Score
Rebuilding the PAC looks more attractive to Stanford and Cal than joining the ACC

Reaction Score
PAC, Mountain West and ACC leftovers combine to make Pacific Atlantic Conference

Pacific Division
SD State
UNLV
Boise St
Colorado St
Washington St
Oregon St
Stanford
Cal

Atlantic Division
BC
Duke
Georgia Tech
Louisville
Pitt
Syracuse
Wake Forest
UConn

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
PAC, Mountain West and ACC leftovers combine to make Pacific Atlantic Conference

Pacific Division
SD State
UNLV
Boise St
Colorado St
Washington St
Oregon St
Stanford
Cal

Atlantic Division
BC
Duke
Georgia Tech
Louisville
Pitt
Syracuse
Wake Forest
UConn
Ah, the great Atlantic and Pacific Company, um Conference.

Reaction Score

Pacific Division
SD State
UNLV
Boise St
Colorado St
Washington St
Oregon St
Stanford
Cal

Atlantic Division
BC
Duke
Georgia Tech
Louisville
Pitt
Syracuse
Wake Forest
UConn
any realignment dreams need to include 9 MW schools and you have 4.

9 is the number required to dissolve the conference and avoid paying a $30+ million exit fee.

Reaction Score
Rebuilding the PAC with an emphasis on academic profile.

Wash State - Full PAC
Oregon State - Full PAC
California - Full PAC
Stanford - Full PAC

San Diego State - Full PAC
Air Force - Full PAC

SMU - Full PAC
Tulane - Full PAC
Army - Patriot, PAC Football
Navy - Patriot, PAC Football
UConn - Big East, PAC Football
Villanova - Big East, PAC Football

Yeah, Nova is FCS today, but it would fill an east coast 4, is strong academically, has had football success (FCS national champion, NFL alumni), and delivers the Philadelphia market. These east coast 4 deliver New England to NY to Philly to DC plus an outsized military academy following.
This isn't a horrible idea except there aren't enough full PAC schools to play Olympic sports.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom