The “New” PAC12 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The “New” PAC12

Reaction Score
PAC, Mountain West and ACC leftovers combine to make Pacific Atlantic Conference

Pacific Division
SD State
UNLV
Boise St
Colorado St
Washington St
Oregon St
Stanford
Cal

Atlantic Division
BC
Duke
Georgia Tech
Louisville
Pitt
Syracuse
Wake Forest
UConn
“APAC”

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
any realignment dreams need to include 9 MW schools and you have 4.

9 is the number required to dissolve the conference and avoid paying a $30+ million exit fee.
who are the ones left out, in your estimation? SJSU, Hawaii (FB only), Air Force?

Reaction Score
who are the ones left out, in your estimation? SJSU, Hawaii (FB only), Air Force?
i think Cal and Stanford join either the Big10 or Big12 and WSU and OSU merge with the MW. who are WSU and OSU to say hawaii doesnt deserve to have an FBS football team anymore?

Reaction Score
i think Cal and Stanford join either the Big10 or Big12 and WSU and OSU merge with the MW. who are WSU and OSU to say hawaii doesnt deserve to have an FBS football team anymore?
Stanford is a tough fit unless they go to a place where they are not going to leave. The B12 probably would not add them as they likely would then be at risk of losing them given how well financed they are endowment and otherwise with a ton of resources. Not sure if they would agree to a hard core grant of rights in the B12. Might not be worth the trouble. They have enough resources they will likely take their time. Cal, good luck with their debt and history. Likely a high maintenance add as well.

Reaction Score
If this was ten years ago, Stanford and Cal would be in the B1G today no questions asked.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I would imagine that if the two conferences want to merge, they’ll make sure that they both keep their NCAA tournament credits. PAC received 18m in 2022 and that should be somewhat consistent for 5 more years after 23-24 tournament.

Reaction Score
Stanford is a tough fit unless they go to a place where they are not going to leave. The B12 probably would not add them as they likely would then be at risk of losing them given how well financed they are endowment and otherwise with a ton of resources. Not sure if they would agree to a hard core grant of rights in the B12. Might not be worth the trouble. They have enough resources they will likely take their time. Cal, good luck with their debt and history. Likely a high maintenance add as well.
regarding Stanford, what does "they have enough resources they will likely take their time" mean? seems like youre saying they can go Indy in football but they cant go indy in all other Olympic sports. stanford has produced more US Olympians than any other school and Cal has produced the 4th most. i dont think there's a chance either school parks those world-class programs in the WCC (which they would have to do if they went indy in football).

regarding Cal, what does " good luck with their debt and history" mean? their debt should obviously make the BIG10 most attractive, followed by the big12. MW and Indy aint paying the bills.

the big12 just added freaking ASU and Utah. they can definitely find room for stanford and cal if they go to 18.

Reaction Score
regarding Stanford, what does "they have enough resources they will likely take their time" mean? seems like youre saying they can go Indy in football but they cant go indy in all other Olympic sports. stanford has produced more US Olympians than any other school and Cal has produced the 4th most. i dont think there's a chance either school parks those world-class programs in the WCC (which they would have to do if they went indy in football).

regarding Cal, what does " good luck with their debt and history" mean? their debt should obviously make the BIG10 most attractive, followed by the big12. MW and Indy aint paying the bills.

the big12 just added freaking ASU and Utah. they can definitely find room for stanford and cal if they go to 18.
How is Cal attractive to the Big 10? They're horrendous in sports.

Reaction Score
Has Kliavkoff released a statement?

Shortcut <<

-> Asked if he planned to resign, Kliavkoff said (via text message):

“I’m loyal to a fault (and probably to my personal detriment). Had plenty of chances to leave over the past two years when the breadth of the challenges were already obvious and decided to stick it out and try to do the best I could. We still have a lot of work ahead of us to try and minimize the impact on the student athletes, and I’m still committed to that.” <-

Reaction Score
I would be shocked if California/Stanford have not been in conversation with the B1G about joining their recently transferred brethren. The only question I see would be their $ share. USC and UCLA are getting the full $60 mil immediately. Oregon and Washington will be getting half that, $30 mil, with small annual increases.

How much could California/Stanford negotiate? To the degree that you are known by the company you keep, the B1G is the perfect conference for them.

Would be interested in counter arguments.

Reaction Score
I would be shocked if California/Stanford have not been in conversation with the B1G about joining their recently transferred brethren. The only question I see would be their $ share. USC and UCLA are getting the full $60 mil immediately. Oregon and Washington will be getting half that, $30 mil, with small annual increases.

How much could California/Stanford negotiate? To the degree that you are known by the company you keep, the B1G is the perfect conference for them.

Would be interested in counter arguments.
Only so many spots left. If you are the B1G, do you want to saturate CA when you already have UCLA and USC, or would you rather gain territory with UNC and UVA?

Reaction Score
Only so many spots left. If you are the B1G, do you want to saturate CA when you already have UCLA and USC, or would you rather gain territory with UNC and UVA?
I would believe UNC and VA are also eventual B1G targets, but with GOR they don't seem available for quite some some time.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
These far flung conferences could be Title IX violations. Women's sports are getting punished for football.

Reaction Score

I know it’s nothing like the old PAC, but if you take the first 12 schools on that chart and assemble a conference of them, that’s not a bad crowd of schools to join together, considering it was pieced together from pretty much nothing

Reaction Score

Interesting chart. But for geography, this would not be terrible for us. If this group would take just football, and include at least one of Temple and USF for just football with us, I’d take it. But if you take out the basketball and Olympic sports metrics, and maybe the Academic ones since we would be a Big East member playing only football in the PAC, do we bring enough to the PAC by way of market?

Reaction Score
Interesting chart. But for geography, this would not be terrible for us. If this group would take just football, and include at least one of Temple and USF for just football with us, I’d take it. But if you take out the basketball and Olympic sports metrics, and maybe the Academic ones since we would be a Big East member playing only football in the PAC, do we bring enough to the PAC by way of market?
Not at this time

Reaction Score
For football only: PAC 4 + 3 Service Academies + UConn + SDSU + SMU + Rice + Tulane

For all other sports: PAC 4 + Air Force + SDSU + SMU + Rice + Tulane + Gonzaga

Decent geographic balance. Likely 2+ ranked teams in football and men's basketball annually.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Since the PAC-4 are left behind from the Power Conferences, it should expand with everyone else who was left behind at some point in history as well as the top remaining G5 schools:

Stanford
Cal
Oregon State
Washington State
SMU
Rice
Tulane
UConn
Temple
USF
Army
Navy
Air Force
SDSU
Boise State
Colorado State

Only problem is the travel costs vs. what type of media rights contract this group could receive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom