Texas & OK ask to join SEC? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Texas & OK ask to join SEC?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
One of the aspects of the NIL which I am struggling to figure out is its impact on which programs can be successful. I think schools that have historically cheated, like the SEC and Big 12, are going to lose a big advantage because now EVERYONE can pay their players. If you are a top hoop recruit, do you think you can get more NIL money in Manhattan, Kansas or Chicago or Milwaukee, or Storrs? If you are a top football recruit, do you want to go to one of the two Alabama schools, or the primary state school that has a bigger alumni base and business presence? Connecticut's GDP is $287 billion. Alabama's is $228 billion. In a world where Auburn and Alabama are in a top conference with schools that are willing to do anything to win, Alabama and Auburn have a huge advantage. Going forward, who knows?

Paige Bueckers and Azzi Fudd may end up making more money than anyone on the Alabama and Auburn football teams.

I don't even know how to guess at the impact of NIL on college sports or conference alignments. I do know it is a game changer though.

Reaction Score
One of the aspects of the NIL which I am struggling to figure out is its impact on which programs can be successful. I think schools that have historically cheated, like the SEC and Big 12, are going to lose a big advantage because now EVERYONE can pay their players. If you are a top hoop recruit, do you think you can get more NIL money in Manhattan, Kansas or Chicago or Milwaukee, or Storrs? If you are a top football recruit, do you want to go to one of the two Alabama schools, or the primary state school that has a bigger alumni base and business presence? Connecticut's GDP is $287 billion. Alabama's is $228 billion. In a world where Auburn and Alabama are in a top conference with schools that are willing to do anything to win, Alabama and Auburn have a huge advantage. Going forward, who knows?

Paige Bueckers and Azzi Fudd may end up making more money than anyone on the Alabama and Auburn football teams.

I don't even know how to guess at the impact of NIL on college sports or conference alignments. I do know it is a game changer though.

Edsall and Senator Murphy have been vocal supporters of this, hopefully they saw a benefit to UCONN. We are currently having the best football recruiting class we have had in a long time, maybe it's a coincidence and maybe not.

Reaction Score
Recall that the lesser 8 had a chance to stabilize their conference membership just a few years ago. They took applications and then rejected them all. And we said they would rue that day.
Knowing realignment history it was probably Texas and Ok that stopped it

Reaction Score
Edsall and Senator Murphy have been vocal supporters of this, hopefully they saw a benefit to UCONN. We are currently having the best football recruiting class we have had in a long time, maybe it's a coincidence and maybe not.
Perhaps Edsall don’t count on a politician to look forward

Reaction Score
Why would they implode? There are still some good sports schools left behind. Baylor won the tournament just 3 months ago and Houston was in the final four. Poach the best teams from the AAC and its still a very good football and basketball conference. The implosion only happens if there is P4 expansion beyond just Texas and Oklahoma and Kansas likely gets selected in that scenario. If that were to happen the remnants of the B12 would likely join the AAC and make that conference much better than it is now.

I don't see how the Big East adds anybody.
I think PAC would take teams like Baylor and Texas Tech.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Isn't it nice to make scenarios knowing we are ok in our current situation and not feeling like we need to be on a life boat?? If anything, this will open more games for us to possibly schedule and in a possible long shot move, add KU to the BE
You realize BE schools media rights are like 10 cents on the dollar of P5 schools. We don't have to worry about the imminent collapse of the BE, but it is still is the island of misfit toys, just a much nicer island.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I have not really focused on this the last few months, but I hope that UConn had someone working Madison Avenue and Wall Street the last few months. Whichever school establishes itself as THE New York college sports program will have a massive advantage.

Reaction Score
This Texas and OU to the SEC story MAY have been leaked intentionally for the two big dogs to get leverage. If I’m the other eight Big 12 schools, I’m seriously considering handing over $10M(x8) of revenue annually (to be split between TX and OU) in exchange for them staying. Hey, that’s an additional $40M per year for each of the two big dogs, if it’s split evenly (Texas would probably ask for the lion’s share from OU). While giving up that money would suck for the other eight schools, it’s better for them to make 20M+ and be in a power conference (with TX and OU) than to make 10M+ and be in a very watered-down Big 12. Also, if I’m the Big Ten, PAC 12, or ACC, I’m inquiring with Texas to see if there’s anything I can entice them with. I’m a little surprised that Texas would prefer the SEC to the Big Ten, considering the actual decision-makers care about academics too. The bottom line is I’m not sold that this is definitely happening (for now).

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You realize BE schools media rights are like 10 cents on the dollar of P5 schools. We don't have to worry about the imminent collapse of the BE, but it is still is the island of misfit toys, just a much nicer island.

Not exactly. The Big East schools keep their Tier 3 rights, no?

Reaction Score
This Texas and OU to the SEC story MAY have been leaked intentionally for the two big dogs to get leverage. If I’m the other eight Big 12 schools, I’m seriously considering handing over $10M(x8) of revenue annually (to be split between TX and OU) in exchange for them staying. Hey, that’s an additional $40M per year for each of the two big dogs, if it’s split evenly (Texas would probably ask for the lion’s share from OU). While giving up that money would suck for the other eight schools, it’s better for them to make 20M+ and be in a power conference (with TX and OU) than to make 10M+ and be in a very watered-down Big 12. Also, if I’m the Big Ten, PAC 12, or ACC, I’m inquiring with Texas to see if there’s anything I can entice them with. The bottom line is I’m not sold that this is definitely happening (for now).

Reaction Score
Baylor is a religious school. The Pac-12 is not taking a religious school or one with poor academics. You can cross Boise State, BYU, and Baylor off the list right from the start. You can also probably cross off TCU. They're not technically affiliated anymore (other than in name) but the name is still a thing and they require religion as part of their coursework.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Baylor is a religious school. The Pac-12 is not taking a religious school or one with poor academics. You can cross Boise State, BYU, and Baylor off the list right from the start. You can also probably cross off TCU. They're not technically affiliated anymore (other than in name) but the name is still a thing and they require religion as part of their coursework.
PAC will probably grab UNLV soon. New stadiums they can use, and all leagues on the west coast seem to be rushing there.

Reaction Score
PAC will probably grab UNLV soon. New stadiums they can use, and all leagues on the west coast seem to be rushing there.
There's almost no way the PAC is grabbing UNLV. This is a conference that turned down Oklahoma and Texas because they didn't want to take OSU and Tech on academic grounds.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure anything really changes immediately.

But this will effectively be pro sports in a few years and I do not see that ending well for us or anyone outside of the top of the Big Ten or SEC.
Since college sports has turned into who has the most money UConn should set up offices in Fairfield County. I get that hardly any of them went to UConn but it's our state University and UConn is our pro team. We have the unique advantage of being a small state with an unbelievable concentration of wealth, we should be benefitting from that instead of being outflanked by poor Southern states.

Reaction Score
Since college sports has turned into who has the most money UConn should set up offices in Fairfield County. I get that hardly any of them went to UConn but it's our state University and UConn is our pro team. We have the unique advantage of being a small state with an unbelievable concentration of wealth, we should be benefitting from that instead of being outflanked by poor Southern states.
Isn’t that what UConn Stamford is for…

Reaction Score
Isn’t that what UConn Stamford is for…
No, UConn has never tapped into the big money in the state like they should have. CT. is the wealthiest state per capita with hedge fund billionaires littered throughout Fairfield County and they've never tapped into that.

Reaction Score
Can you imagine the PR disaster the PAC would deal with by having refused Texas because Tech was attached only to turn around and take the worthless Tech program without Texas?

And Baylor? I can't imagine universities on the West Coast would have any interest in dealing with that school.

Reaction Score
No, UConn has never tapped into the big money in the state like they should have. CT. is the wealthiest state per capita with hedge fund billionaires littered throughout Fairfield County and they've never tapped into that.
I’m referencing location/offices - not past performance.

Reaction Score

Very few of those billionaires have ties to UConn. They have ties to Ivy League, etc. It’s not a location issue, it’s relationships.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The Pac 12 is practically racing backwards in the revenue arms race. I think they can find God if the price is right. I don't think Baylor generates any financial benefit, but BYU could be an extremely valuable partner in an NIL world.

Oregon State and Washington State are not exactly academic powerhouses.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom