Texas & OK ask to join SEC? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Texas & OK ask to join SEC?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So what’s the best - realistic scenario?
Perhaps:
TX and OK to the SEC
TT, OSU, KSU, ISU to the pac12 as they try to expand out of the PST
BU, TCU and WV to the AAC (cures odd number issue)
KS to independent-BE while it waits on B1G to make a decision.

B1G and the AAC sit back for a couple years before making their next moves which partially hinge on the ND.

IDK- so many possibilities

Reaction Score
Why would they implode? There are still some good sports schools left behind. Baylor won the tournament just 3 months ago and Houston was in the final four. Poach the best teams from the AAC and its still a very good football and basketball conference. The implosion only happens if there is P4 expansion beyond just Texas and Oklahoma and Kansas likely gets selected in that scenario. If that were to happen the remnants of the B12 would likely join the AAC and make that conference much better than it is now.

I don't see how the Big East adds anybody.
If Kliavkoff wants to go for the brass ring, he will propose to Kansas that the Jayhawks come to the Pac-12 for basketball (not all sports). People inside the college sports industry think Kansas could conceivably go to the Big East for basketball if the Big 12 falls apart and either dies or becomes AAC lite.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
If Kliavkoff wants to go for the brass ring, he will propose to Kansas that the Jayhawks come to the Pac-12 for basketball (not all sports). People inside the college sports industry think Kansas could conceivably go to the Big East for basketball if the Big 12 falls apart and either dies or becomes AAC lite.

That’s awesome but I also feel as though that can’t be their preference if they have an option to remain with KSU/ISU and others making equal/more money or going to the P12 with some additional schools

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This is totally the first major move to a P4 if this happens. Someone asked why would the SEC wanna add two more schools? They want to add because these are premiere programs in CFB. They may not be at the top now but their history and fan bases are insane. When this whole thing turns semi-pro, you want these two schools in your conference. The SEC is already looking at that.

The PAC will pick who they want and be selective because for the first time in forever, they actually hold some kind of upper hand and power. The B1G and ACC will sit tight and see where the pieces fall.....those Big 12 schools not picked will be lumped with the AAC or AAC schools will join the Big 12 to just keep the conference alive and the remaining AAC schools will join with C-USA or something like that.

I can see this settle for a few years after these moves, should they happen, and a new P4 play out. The next moves will be the P4 conferences raiding each other for their top teams and possibly jettisoning the lower tiers.....

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Oh god- I’m falling into the scenario chaos…

What if the desperate PAC goes bigger; six schools instead of four; TT, OSU, ISU, KSU + Kan + one of Boise or BYU. Oh wait, Boise isn’t a real school and so that would never work. And considering the state of social trends- can’t see the CA schools accepting BYU.

I would like to think the B1G adds Kan, but I really think they will be inclined to sit back - be patient and play the long game to go after select ACC schools in 2035. I know- that’s a long view. The B1G needs a growing state like VA and NC in its footprint.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Oh god- I’m falling into the scenario chaos…

What if the desperate PAC goes bigger; six schools instead of four; TT, OSU, ISU, KSU + Kan + one of Boise or BYU. Oh wait, Boise isn’t a real school and so that would never work. And considering the state of social trends- can’t see the CA schools accepting BYU.

I would like to think the B1G adds Kan, but I really think they will be inclined to sit back - be patient and play the long game to go after select ACC schools in 2035. I know- that’s a long view. The B1G needs a growing state like VA and NC in its footprint.
Isn't it nice to make scenarios knowing we are ok in our current situation and not feeling like we need to be on a life boat?? If anything, this will open more games for us to possibly schedule and in a possible long shot move, add KU to the BE

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Isn't it nice to make scenarios knowing we are ok in our current situation and not feeling like we need to be on a life boat?? If anything, this will open more games for us to possibly schedule and in a possible long shot move, add KU to the BE
I like any scenario where the P12 makes a move because it kills the b12 and creates some other interesting possibilities including perhaps more independent teams.

I’m not that thrilled if the b12 remnants hold together and backfill with two or four AAC schools… although I guess I should like that two because the AAC will be sliding backwards.

Reaction Score
That’s awesome but I also feel as though that can’t be their preference if they have an option to remain with KSU/ISU and others making equal/more money or going to the P12 with some additional schools
Their football program is just such an anchor (sounds familiar) and the high brow institutions may look down on Kansas despite being AAU (then again Colorado is similarly ranked in USNWR).

The most likely scenario as you note is probably just sticking with the Big XII. The conference tournament is already in Kansas City every year and they would get to exert tremendous influence in the "Zombie Big XII."

The money will be significantly less than the $38 million a year in the Big XII currently, but obviously not as bad as the AAC $7 million a year ($14-16???). It's way behind the big boys of the SEC & ACC & BIG 10, but good enough for Kansas that is primarily investing in basketball anyway.

The only way Kansas goes to the Big East is if FOX is willing to make it worth their while financially (we still don't know how UConn's addition to the Big East affects contract value as they haven't come to the negotiating table yet so maybe it happens especially with FOX losing OU/UT T1 content).

Otherwise, the Big XII would have to dissolve somehow (no idea how this happens since most schools have nowhere to go), OR the Big XII is told by TV partners to take on Memphis, USF, UCF, and Cincy and determine they don't want any part of it.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
After thinking about it, if Oklahoma and Texas leave the Big 12 the logical next step is to add Houston to get to 9 teams and play a true round robin in football and hoops. Maybe Cincinnati. I don't see anyone else getting added.

Reaction Score
After thinking about it, if Oklahoma and Texas leave the Big 12 the logical next step is to add Houston to get to 9 teams and play a true round robin in football and hoops. Maybe Cincinnati. I don't see anyone else getting added.
You give WVU a traveling partner, you replenish Texas a bit with an old SWAC rival, and you move on.

Reaction Score
Navy wants to play one Texas school at home per year per their agreement with the AAC for military recruiting purposes. No Rice=no Texas home game every year.
Lol if the AAC is dumb enough to add a crappy school just to give a provisional member a game in Texas every other year

Drew

Reaction Score
Their football program is just such an anchor (sounds familiar) and the high brow institutions may look down on Kansas despite being AAU (then again Colorado is similarly ranked in USNWR).

The most likely scenario as you note is probably just sticking with the Big XII. The conference tournament is already in Kansas City every year and they would get to exert tremendous influence in the "Zombie Big XII."

The money will be significantly less than the $38 million a year in the Big XII currently, but obviously not as bad as the AAC $7 million a year ($14-16???). It's way behind the big boys of the SEC & ACC & BIG 10, but good enough for Kansas that is primarily investing in basketball anyway.

The only way Kansas goes to the Big East is if FOX is willing to make it worth their while financially (we still don't know how UConn's addition to the Big East affects contract value as they haven't come to the negotiating table yet so maybe it happens especially with FOX losing OU/UT T1 content).

Otherwise, the Big XII would have to dissolve somehow (no idea how this happens since most schools have nowhere to go), OR the Big XII is told by TV partners to take on Memphis, USF, UCF, and Cincy and determine they don't want any part of it.
I just really don’t see the incentive from KU’s perspective to join the Big East, especially if you get the money range you’re talking about ($15M ). KU and KSU are legitimately joined at the hip from both a state politics standpoint and a collegiate athletics standpoint.

If you’re KU and you can get $15M a year in say a 10-12 team league where you still get to play teams you have historical ties to like ISU, Baylor, OK St and you have a primary rival to play in KSU, and then you add in new hoops games against say SMU, Houston, Memphis, and Cincinnati in addition to the games with WVU and a conference tournament and football title game in Kansas City- that’s certainly more attractive to their alumni and fan base than trying to carve a random independent football schedule and playing basketball games 1000+ miles from home in areas they don’t draw students from against mostly non-peer small private schools.

Reaction Score
Recall that the lesser 8 had a chance to stabilize their conference membership just a few years ago. They took applications and then rejected them all. And we said they would rue that day.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I just really don’t see the incentive from KU’s perspective to join the Big East, especially if you get the money range you’re talking about ($15M ). KU and KSU are legitimately joined at the hip from both a state politics standpoint and a collegiate athletics standpoint.

If you’re KU and you can get $15M a year in say a 10-12 team league where you still get to play teams you have historical ties to like ISU, Baylor, OK St and you have a primary rival to play in KSU, and then you add in new hoops games against say SMU, Houston, Memphis, and Cincinnati in addition to the games with WVU and a conference tournament and football title game in Kansas City- that’s certainly more attractive to their alumni and fan base than trying to carve a random independent football schedule and playing basketball games 1000+ miles from home in areas they don’t draw students from against mostly non-peer small private schools.
A few things:

1. The same thing you just said of KU/KSU was said of UT/Tech; UT/A&M; OU/OSU. All bets are off now.
2. That schedule sounds fine. But, if you want players to be able to cash-in on NIL, playing throughout the plains ain't gonna do it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Generally the bigger name conference has survived even as it is losing all its valuable members (see CUSA losing everyone that matters to the American and then still raiding Sun Belt), but the Big 12 may break that streak if it loses Texas and Oklahoma, especially if Kansas finds a landing spot in the Big 10. Content is king in the new world, and Kansas' hoops program would provide a lot of content for the BTN.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Recall that the lesser 8 had a chance to stabilize their conference membership just a few years ago. They took applications and then rejected them all. And we said they would rue that day.

Karma is a mofo.

Reaction Score

I agree with all of this except the KSU element. As we have now seen with Colorado and Oklahoma, it matters until it doesn't. At the end of the day, the institutions seem to only care about the bottom line and if that means cutting off little brother, so be it.

But to your overall point, yes, the only way it happens is if somehow Big XII dissolves and I don't even know how that would happen (there really is no where for any of these schools to go). KU won't care for any of the new additions but KSU, ISU, Baylor, OSU is enough for now. WVU will definitely put on a full court press to get out and go to the ACC now and probably fail.

Drew

Reaction Score
A few things:

1. The same thing you just said of KU/KSU was said of UT/Tech; UT/A&M; OU/OSU. All bets are off now.
2. That schedule sounds fine. But, if you want players to be able to cash-in on NIL, playing throughout the plains ain't gonna do it.
Regarding point 1- the bets are off if you’re upgrading conferences. KU leaves KSU behind to go to the Big 10 100%. There’s zero reason to think they’d choose to leave behind KSU to be peers with Butler. It’s just not logical to think that way.

Regarding point 2- you’re not thinking about NIL monetary generation correctly. Most of your money will be made promoting local and regional businesses. KU has much more incentive for their athletes to maximize their NIL money playing games against ISU, KSU, etc in Kansas City where a vast majority of their alumni live than they do in playing games in Washington DC and Providence RI.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Regarding point 1- the bets are off if you’re upgrading conferences. KU leaves KSU behind to go to the Big 10 100%. There’s zero reason to think they’d choose to leave behind KSU to be peers with Butler. It’s just not logical to think that way.

Regarding point 2- you’re not thinking about NIL monetary generation correctly. Most of your money will be made promoting local and regional businesses. KU has much more incentive for their athletes to maximize their NIL money playing games against ISU, KSU, etc in Kansas City where a vast majority of their alumni live than they do in playing games in Washington DC and Providence RI.
I'm not sure how you describe upgrade or downgrade. I agree with the premise, but the Big12 will be a zombie going forward with everyone trying to jump. They may very well come to the conclusion it is best to be pro-active.

On NIL, that's all well and good if Kansas wants to modify its sales pitch to be a regional team. To date, they maintain and present a national profile. This new downgraded conference won't hep with that.

Drew

Reaction Score
I agree with all of this except the KSU element. As we have now seen with Colorado and Oklahoma, it matters until it doesn't. At the end of the day, the institutions seem to only care about the bottom line and if that means cutting off little brother, so be it.

But to your overall point, yes, the only way it happens is if somehow Big XII dissolves and I don't even know how that would happen (there really is no where for any of these schools to go. KU won't care for any of the new additions but KSU, ISU, Baylor, OSU is enough for now. WVU will definitely put on a full court press to get out and go to the ACC now and probably fail.
Like I just said in my quote post response to WestHartHusk about KU/KSU- I think the relationship doesn’t matter if they have a chance to upgrade leagues. Certainly KU isn’t turning down the Big Ten or the SEC because they want to be with Kansas State. But when you look at the option of either remaining in a geographically sensical all sports league that includes your primary in-state rival or going independent and joining a bunch of random schools you don’t have history with I think the choice is pretty obvious.

Certainly agree with your second paragraph, even from a league power standpoint KU is probably the “Alpha” of that league. That is the sort of intangible benefit that’s also very difficult to give up and they only way it happens is if someone like the PAC scooped up the Texas schools + OK State and left KU on an island by themselves (would never ever happen).

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This is going to be total chaos and probably with two more years of near daily speculation AFTER the TX and OK moves to the SEC are official.

Drew

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how you describe upgrade or downgrade. I agree with the premise, but the Big12 will be a zombie going forward with everyone trying to jump. They may very well come to the conclusion it is best to be pro-active.

On NIL, that's all well and good if Kansas wants to modify its sales pitch to be a regional team. To date, they maintain and present a national profile. This new downgraded conference won't hep with that.
Upgrading leagues is pretty obvious- if you’re moving to the Big Ten or the SEC from the Big 12 you’re upgrading monetarily substantially and also (yes even in the SEC when comparing to the Big 12) increasing your academic profile.

KU has a national brand yes but the Big East to them isn’t an upgrade, even over the “zombie” B12 which would still include regular games against teams they’ve played for 100+ years in addition to regular games in Texas (where they attract both athletic and non-athletic students) and a brand like WVU. KU has shared conference history all the way back to the Big Six with Iowa State and the Big 8 with Kansas State and OK State. Playing those teams matters to their fan base and their schools. You don’t just give all of that up to, once again, play schools that you’re not peer institutions with, don’t have history with, located in geographic areas you don’t attract students from, and likely still make less money.

Reaction Score
Upgrading leagues is pretty obvious- if you’re moving to the Big Ten or the SEC from the Big 12 you’re upgrading monetarily substantially and also (yes even in the SEC when comparing to the Big 12) increasing your academic profile.

KU has a national brand yes but the Big East to them isn’t an upgrade, even over the “zombie” B12 which would still include regular games against teams they’ve played for 100+ years. KU has shared conference history all the way back to the Big Six with Iowa State and the Big 8 with Kansas State and OK State. Playing those teams matters to their fan base and their schools. You don’t just give all of that up to, once again, play schools that you’re not peer institutions with, don’t have history with, located in geographic areas you don’t attract students from, and likely still make less money.
KU is only even considering leaving the B12 if the B12 did something stupid in backfilling (Boise/UCF/Memphis) and/or there's broader poaching that doesn't include them.

Say OU/Texas go to SEC, and for some reason the P12 takes schools around them but not them (hard to see why when they refused a while back), then Kansas might do that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom