Texas & OK ask to join SEC? | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Texas & OK ask to join SEC?

Reaction Score
So you think this ends up with a P1 or P2 and everyone else simply goes away?
No. I don't know what would happen. But if you are the B10 and you look at what the SEC did, you want to respond. None of the B1G scraps are worth it to the conference with the slight exception of maybe Kansas. In a world where Big Ten basketball was still struggling, a Kansas addition on the west might help Nebraska with a regional rival and a UConn addition on the East might help solidify the NYC area. This won't happen, but I'm not convinced it's a bad idea...but with the B10 basketball being really good recently, that isn't as valuable.

So...who do you add? Jumping to West Coast schools, maybe. But why kill off a conference you have had positive historic relations with? Why not raid the conference you've already raided and go after the ACC's schools that most fit your bill.

All that to say...I wouldn't be surprised if this is a:

Near Equals (though SEC with advantage in football)
1. SEC
2. B10

GAP

PAC12

GAP

ACC/B12/UConn leftovers as your middle class, with some real basketball success but a nothingburger in football.

GAP

Everyone else.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No. I don't know what would happen. But if you are the B10 and you look at what the SEC did, you want to respond. None of the B1G scraps are worth it to the conference with the slight exception of maybe Kansas. In a world where Big Ten basketball was still struggling, a Kansas addition on the west might help Nebraska with a regional rival and a UConn addition on the East might help solidify the NYC area. This won't happen, but I'm not convinced it's a bad idea...but with the B10 basketball being really good recently, that isn't as valuable.

So...who do you add? Jumping to West Coast schools, maybe. But why kill off a conference you have had positive historic relations with? Why not raid the conference you've already raided and go after the ACC's schools that most fit your bill.

All that to say...I wouldn't be surprised if this is a:

Near Equals (though SEC with advantage in football)
1. SEC
2. B10

GAP

PAC12

GAP

ACC/B12/UConn leftovers as your middle class, with some real basketball success but a nothingburger in football.

GAP

Everyone else.

I am liking my Alston theory about this round of realignment more and more. I think this is a power play to truly destroy everyone else in college athletics and have the SEC form a monopoly. Raid Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State and the Big 10 is dead.

Reaction Score
I am liking my Alston theory about this round of realignment more and more. I think this is a power play to truly destroy everyone else in college athletics and have the SEC form a monopoly. Raid Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State and the Big 10 is dead.
It's true. It would kill it. I don't trust the source, and I don't know that those schools go to the SEC. But that would be an even bigger boss move than the OU-Texas coup.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Maybe the Big East should start scooping up top basketball programs. Add Gonzaga, Kansas, Baylor. Wait for some of the second tier P5 football schools with strong basketball to blink. They will see the squeeze from the SEC and realize the only way to save themselves is to join the Big East.

UConn's football program would be deader than dead, but if the SEC is trying this move, then it is deader than dead anyway.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The B12 has a GOR until 2025. Let's see how they hold up in court before we start caring about them.

Or, alternatively, you take enough teams to dissolve the deal.

Actually, if you want to strangle off the Little 8 of the Big 12, you want UT and Oklahoma to run out that GOR. Those other 8 programs will be carcasses by the end of the contract.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
The B12 has a GOR until 2025. Let's see how they hold up in court before we start caring
Negotiating out a 2 year liability is much different than a 12 year liability.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Or, alternatively, you take enough teams to dissolve the deal.
This is possible. But unlikely…as you’d need 10 ACC teams to agree, which would mean they’d need the SEC to partner with them on the assassination. Not sure why the SEC would do that now.

Reaction Score
Negotiating out a 2 year liability is much different than a 12 year liability.
Yeah, if the Big Ten or SEC wants those schools, they'll get those schools and figure out how to make that work. Hell, if both just picked who they wanted the GOR can be dissolved.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The first surprising development of this round of CR is that 8 leftovers of the Big 12 are still being considered as front runners for being added to another league. It is like there is some kind of branding inertia for these programs that, other than Kansas and maybe TCU, are basically worthless to any other league are still branded as P5 and therefore they are considered credible candidates for the other P4 conferences.

I would not put a single of the remaining Big 12 schools, other than MAYBE Kansas to the Big 10, as the most valuable realistic addition to any conference.

The most valuable available teams to add:

Pac 12 - BYU, Boise
Big 10 - Kansas, UConn
ACC - UConn

Which is why a "Texas" league is the most likely outcome. Truth be told, the B12 didn't really miss A&M or Mizzou. UT and OU are a completely different animal but it's still Texas and FB.

Reaction Score
Likewise, if they snag FSU and Clemson then the ACC as a football conference is totally irrelevant. Although I would doubt the likes of UNC, UVa and Duke would care.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
ESPN is really stupid for going along with this move by the SEC. ESPN will be desperately trying to compete with the SEC in about 5 years with whatever scraps it can find if the SEC becomes the P1.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If the SEC added Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, USC, UCLA and maybe Oregon, it wouldn't need Clemson or Florida State. Let them die in the ACC.

Reaction Score
I think MGuire, as a social media guy at Barstool, is just attempting to drive "clicks"....

Seriously doubt there is any truth to the SEC contacting ACC teams....

Last edited:

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
Wouldn't the SEC have to change it's name at some point?
Nope. It’s all about brand recognition. They would never do that…even if they accepted Oregon into the conference.

Reaction Score
If it was up to the basketball forward fans in Tobacco Road...they'd want to pull in Kansas and WVU....They put up with Louisville because they thought they were getting basketball.

Reaction Score
I think MGuire as a social media guy at Barstool is just attempting to drive "clicks"....

Seriously doubt there is any truth to the B!G contacting ACC teams....
I don't believe McGuire but the Big Ten would be stupid not to be contacting some ACC schools.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think MGuire as a social media guy at Barstool is just attempting to drive "clicks"....

Seriously doubt there is any truth to the B!G contacting ACC teams....

The ACC schools have taken themselves out of the game. The SEC has Clemson and FSU locked into a long-term crappy deal into the mid-2030's. Why would anyone contact them?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom