Texas & OK ask to join SEC? | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Texas & OK ask to join SEC?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Texas and Oklahoma better quadruple their budgets for traveling security details on their road trips in the Big 12 in 2021-22 I am anticipating some very ugly scenes on the road this year.

Reaction Score
Texas and Oklahoma better quadruple their budgets for traveling security details on their road trips in the Big 12 in 2021-22 I am anticipating some very ugly scenes on the road this year.

How ugly did it get for BE defectors in their last year ?

Any major incidents?

Reaction Score
That depends on how UConn's football is seen as a great viewing match up for national TV...It is football..football, football..

No longer "markets" or footprints...but actual eyeballs that will watch.

ACC Commissioner at this week's ACC Kickoff meetimg:

"As I've stated since my first day as ACC commissioner, football must be No. 1 priority for us, for all of us, our schools, the league, ACC Network, our partners, coaches," he said. "We've been collaborating for months to ensure that ACC football has the mindset of 24/7, 365, and we're working together to further elevate football in the ACC. We're just getting started.

"That commitment to football will not be at the expense of our other 26 sponsored sports. You don't have to deemphasize any sport simply to provide additional resources to others or concentrate on football."
The problem is that other than ND there is no school worth the football add. Zero.

So at that point you do perhaps look at which schools might generate a mass of subscribers and marquee games more broadly.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The problem is that other than ND there is no school worth the football add. Zero.

So at that point you do perhaps look at which schools might generate a mass of subscribers and marquee games more broadly.

The Big 12 circa 2016 agrees with you 100%. Look how well that worked out for them.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 circa 2016 agrees with you 100%. Look how well that worked out for them.
So, tell me, which addition changes this? Do Cincinnati and UCF keep Texas and OU from going the SEC?

Because I think the B12 was stupid in that whole process, but I don't see anything they could have done to stop what was coming.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

There are market size tests for anti-trust actions, and if another league collapse, or the SEC, by itself, becomes 50% of college football revenue, then there could be DOJ action to break them up.

I also don't think ESPN wants to just hand over all its bargaining power to the SEC, although ESPN has made a lot of wrong moves with college sports so who knows?

Is there really that much of a national market for SEC games that all the other schools will become irrelevant and we will spend our Saturdays watching 2-5 Arkansas vs. 3-4 Mississippi?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
The B1G is getting ready to negotiate their next rights contract--not good timing for them on this. They have 3 options:

1. "Coordinate" with the SEC a full scale raid of the ACC (10 ACC teams needed to vote to disband the conference and GoR). SEC unlikely to do this as they are in the power position now--so why help the BIG and create additional backlash as this point.

3. Work out a deal with the top of the PAC12 to join the B1G ( some combination of USC/UCLA/Arizona/Colorado/Oregon/Stanford/Cal)

3. Sign a shorter rights contract and wait until 2035 to raid the ACC.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So, tell me, which addition changes this? Do Cincinnati and UCF keep Texas and OU from going the SEC?

Because I think the B12 was stupid in that whole process, but I don't see anything they could have done to stop what was coming.

For starters, ANYTHING other than what they did.

They made a decision 5 years ago that resulted in total and complete failure, and they did nothing to change course in the intervening 5 years. I would say they scalitoed up.

if a business has a single point of failure, it takes steps to reduce the impact of that single point of failure. It doesn't sit on its hands and then cry about it when the failure occurs.

Reaction Score
For starters, ANYTHING other than what they did.

They made a decision 5 years ago that resulted in total and complete failure, and they did nothing to change course in the intervening 5 years. I would say they scalitoed up.

if a business has a single point of failure, it takes steps to reduce the impact of that single point of failure. It doesn't sit on its hands and then cry about it when the failure occurs.
I think they should have expanded. They'd still be in this exact same problem. They were like orbiting planets around a star about to go supernova: if you don't have the means to get to another galaxy, you're dead. You can perhaps make those last few years better—and they should have!—but adding Cincinnati and San Diego State or something 5 years ago isn't making up the difference in money, so OU and Texas were leaving regardless.

Reaction Score
The first surprising development of this round of CR is that 8 leftovers of the Big 12 are still being considered as front runners for being added to another league. It is like there is some kind of branding inertia for these programs that, other than Kansas and maybe TCU, are basically worthless to any other league are still branded as P5 and therefore they are considered credible candidates for the other P4 conferences.

I would not put a single of the remaining Big 12 schools, other than MAYBE Kansas to the Big 10, as the most valuable realistic addition to any conference.

The most valuable available teams to add:

Pac 12 - BYU, Boise
Big 10 - Kansas, UConn
ACC - UConn
This is insanity. Those are the last two schools the Pac-12 will add.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think they should have expanded. They'd still be in this exact same problem. They were like orbiting planets around a star about to go supernova: if you don't have the means to get to another galaxy, you're dead. You can perhaps make those last few years better—and they should have!—but adding Cincinnati and San Diego State or something 5 years ago isn't making up the difference in money, so OU and Texas were leaving regardless.

The Big 12 was dependent on 2 schools, and it did nothing to fix that over 10 years, even as those two schools drove off 4 other programs. The Big 12 with Nebraska, Missouri, Colorado and Texas A&M would have definitely survived losing Texas and Oklahoma. If the Big 12 had added UConn, Cincinnati, and 2 other schools in 2016, those schools would have added markets, developed into competitive programs, and potentially pushed Texas further down the pecking order, making them less attractive as a target.

Instead, the Big 12 without Texas and Oklahoma is a conference with Kansas, half of Oklahoma, half of Iowa, West Virginia, and west Texas as its markets. I would say it is scalitoed.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 was dependent on 2 schools, and it did nothing to fix that over 10 years, even as those two schools drove off 4 other programs. The Big 12 with Nebraska, Missouri, Colorado and Texas A&M would have definitely survived losing Texas and Oklahoma. If the Big 12 had added UConn, Cincinnati, and 2 other schools in 2016, those schools would have added markets, developed into competitive programs, and potentially pushed Texas further down the pecking order, making them less attractive as a target.

Instead, the Big 12 without Texas and Oklahoma is a conference with Kansas, half of Oklahoma, half of Iowa, West Virginia, and west Texas as its markets. I would say it is scalitoed.
We aren't disageeing that they screwed up. The die was cast when they lost Colorado and Nebraska. At that point they were like the Big East after the first ACC raid. The mistakes were made so long ago nothing in 2016 would have saved them.

Reaction Score
You mean other than when BC to came to the Rent? Not one of our finest days

How many hospitalized?

If not at least five...a normal VT game at WVU or FSU game at Miami (maybe a little hyperbole, but not a lot).

Reaction Score
There are market size tests for anti-trust actions, and if another league collapse, or the SEC, by itself, becomes 50% of college football revenue, then there could be DOJ action to break them up.

I also don't think ESPN wants to just hand over all its bargaining power to the SEC, although ESPN has made a lot of wrong moves with college sports so who knows?

Is there really that much of a national market for SEC games that all the other schools will become irrelevant and we will spend our Saturdays watching 2-5 Arkansas vs. 3-4 Mississippi?
I think there is space for a true competitor to the SEC. The problem is that the other conferences are stuck with the same provincial mindset that is leaving them unprepared to take on the SEC's market power. I'm talking about the PAC, B1G and ACC.

Something will have to give among the three of them.

Reaction Score
I think there is space for a true competitor to the SEC. The problem is that the other conferences are stuck with the same provincial mindset that is leaving them unprepared to take on the SEC's market power. I'm talking about the PAC, B1G and ACC.

Something will have to give among the three of them.
The Big Ten is the only conference with similar pull. The answer is easy: destroy the ACC and own the northern east coast. Maryland and Rutgers are not enough.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I can't imagine this wouldn't generate a crapton of backlash like the Euro superleague.

It would actually be criminal, and every one of the university presidents could go to jail simply for discussing such an alliance.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big Ten is the only conference with similar pull. The answer is easy: destroy the ACC and own the northern east coast. Maryland and Rutgers are not enough.

So you think this ends up with a P1 or P2 and everyone else simply goes away?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

UConn, obviously. People love us.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So you think this ends up with a P1 or P2 and everyone else simply goes away?
Lol the P1 with one continuous Spring game...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom