Texas @ Baylor - 1/25/18 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Texas @ Baylor - 1/25/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
There’s been some pretty spot on insight on this thread. Kim had her squad ready to play for sure. I also think many on here do think Kim is a very good coach, if not temperamental and prone to the occasional wig out. She can also recruit. She does struggle in making in game adjustments but given her overall success, that’s nitpicking.
1. I was completely wrong tonight think Texas on the road would continue its recent efforts. Boy was I WRONG...
2. Cox looked like the #1ranked player. Very impressed with her soft touch and footwork.
3. Richards who I nicknamed “Minnie” out of true respect also was the energizer bunny (mouse) and was everywhere. Great game.
4. Wallace, for as cold as Brooke was, she was “en fugo”. She is the Kia of this team. Opposing fans hate her and home fans absolutely love them.
5. ETT nailed how good Morris is. Very impressive.
6. BRown was ok and still prone to too many bad fouls.
7. Chou is still not what she came as advertised, neither is Holmes-still to many brain cramps trying to lead a break and takin 3 pt shots? She’s not Z...:cool:
8. Texas needs to regroup and take stock of their game. Still have time.
At this stage the top 3 are clear-UConn, MSU and BU. After that there is a bit of a scrum of 5 Lou, FSU, ND, Oregon and dare I say Georgia? Sorry SC, Tenn, Texas and Mizzou.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I agree with Charlie Creame. There just aren't 8 teams better than Baylor this year. Also give UT some credit tonight. Although they struggled against an average Ole Miss team this is a game they would have, and indeed did, lost(e) last year.

Reaction Score
Then why did he have Baylor as a 3 seed in his last bracketology? He should be supporting his seeding, not arguing against it.

Because he’s trying to predict what the committee will do, which doesn’t necessarily fall in line with what he would do.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Agreed but how many of us BY posters singled out Wallace as a player to watch for Baylor? She is very skilled and very active. Baylor has more pieces than I thought.

And you never need to worry about her looking "scared". She always always competes.

Reaction Score
Baylor is as big a threat to UConn as Miss U.

Baylor and MSU are the two teams that UConn will have the most trouble matching up with. Both of them have big, strong, post players that dominate the lane. UConn needs to control the tempo and push the pace against these teams. If they are forced into a slow paced, possession type game, I think UConn will have their hands full with both of these teams.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While Baylor looked like a world beater last night, it’s worth reminding everyone that just a few weeks ago, after destroying ND at home, we all thought Louisville was as good as any team in the nation. But then the Cardinals stumbled at home vs FSU with Durr having a horrendous shooting night, and they have also looked pretty average in 2 road wins over unranked Pitt & Miami.

Baylor has looked great in the past only to flame out in the postseason. I wouldn’t bet the ranch on the Lady Bears just yet.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
There is no love lost there. Other than Coale, there is no coach that Mulkey enjoys beating more.

I switched over to this from the ND game and just saw a fourth quarter that was an exercise in finishing the game.

Along the lines of your comment, could the animosity you mention be the reason Kim kept her big three (Brown-Cox-Wallace) in the game for so long? Or is this modus operandi?
From a practical standpoint, I'd think one would want to avoid any end-of-game injuries. I know Baylor does not have an army on the bench, but struck me as time to take pedal off the metal.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Baylor plays Texas at Texas Feb 19. Lets see what happens. Baylor played well at home much like Texas did against UConn. Texas played their best game of the season against UConn, and they played it at home and lost. Some fans are impressed with all the height on both teams and some fans fear that height. After the Texas UConn game some fans were saying Texas could be a FF team they were that good. Texas now has 4 losses. Theres a reason for that. UConn has no losses either does Miss St and both have played tuffer schedules then Baylor. IMO Baylor is a top 4 team now. UConn is at a different level.

Reaction Score
While Baylor looked like a world beater last night, it’s worth reminding everyone that just a few weeks ago, after destroying ND at home, we all thought Louisville was as good as any team in the nation. But then the Cardinals stumbled at home vs FSU with Durr having a horrendous shooting night, and they have also looked pretty average in 2 road wins over unranked Pitt & Miami.

Baylor has looked great in the past only to flame out in the postseason. I wouldn’t bet the ranch on the Lady Bears just yet.
I take your point, but I have to say that this Baylor team looks like a different kind of animal than the typical Bears. This is the first team I've seen this season that I actually fear for the Huskies to go up against in the Final Four. The fact is that UConn simply does not match up well against them. Cox has vastly improved, and her inside presence along with the 6'7" Brown, who has developed into quite a physical specimen, is pretty imposing. Now the Australian kid, Wallace, may have had the game of her life against Texas, but she looked tough-as-nails, and she, as well as the remaining supporting cast, provides them with balance I did not previously know they possessed. Here on the Boneyard, we apparently like to mock and denigrate Kim, but she happens to be a great coach, the best evidence of which, insofar as this Baylor team is concerned, is the relentless, stifling defense they play. Unlike UConn, they forced Texas to play the kind of game they wanted to dictate, with results that turned out to be fatal for the Longhorns. UConn has demonstrated that they face big struggles to compete on the boards when they face such imposing "bigs" underneath, and these are as imposing as we generally see in the women's game. Baylor is not unbeatable, but the Huskies will need one of their best offensive nights from the perimeter of the entire season to pull it off. You are certainly correct that we've been impressed with Baylor in the past, only to see them flame out, and this may be yet another such case, but me...well, I was pretty impressed by what I saw!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I agree with Charlie Creame. There just aren't 8 teams better than Baylor this year. Also give UT some credit tonight. Although they struggled against an average Ole Miss team this is a game they would have, and indeed did, lost(e) last year.
I think you meant Tenn.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
See why I was the biggest proponent of getting Lauren Cox to Storrs?

Lauren Cox is finally showing what she is really all about, and I too was very disappointed that she didn't choose UConn (however if it wasn't UConn, glad it was Baylor). What I hear Cox had some really big challenges last year with her diabetes and getting it under control with the intense work out of college BB. Scary part of Baylor is that the duo of Brown and Cox are back again next year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I take your point, but I have to say that this Baylor team looks like a different kind of animal than the typical Bears. This is the first team I've seen this season that I actually fear for the Huskies to go up against in the Final Four. The fact is that UConn simply does not match up well against them. Cox has vastly improved, and her inside presence along with the 6'7" Brown, who has developed into quite a physical specimen, is pretty imposing. Now the Australian kid, Wallace, may have had the game of her life against Texas, but she looked tough-as-nails, and she, as well as the remaining supporting cast, provides them with balance I did not previously know they possessed. Here on the Boneyard, we apparently like to mock and denigrate Kim, but she happens to be a great coach, the best evidence of which, insofar as this Baylor team is concerned, is the relentless, stifling defense they play. Unlike UConn, they forced Texas to play the kind of game they wanted to dictate, with results that turned out to be fatal for the Longhorns. UConn has demonstrated that they face big struggles to compete on the boards when they face such imposing "bigs" underneath, and these are as imposing as we generally see in the women's game. Baylor is not unbeatable, but the Huskies will need one of their best offensive nights from the perimeter of the entire season to pull it off. You are certainly correct that we've been impressed with Baylor in the past, only to see them flame out, and this may be yet another such case, but me...well, I was pretty impressed by what I saw!
While I generally agree, you could make a good case that last year’s Baylor team was bigger, deeper, more experienced and more talented than this year’s version. Time will tell.

I would also note that TX played right into Baylor’s hands by continually going one-on-one on offense with little ball movement.

Reaction Score

Big P---Nice post. We post some semi-negative things about Mulkey, but I doubt many think she isn't a good coach. She definitely is a good recruiter.
Uconn isn't very effective against more than one big, Geno has masked that weakness, but it remains so. With Azura on the floor Uconn is a much better than good team. Azura, is learning to be a post--she is a super talent, but she is Uconn's only true BIG. Nothing on the bench to replace or relieve her
It is not that Geno didn't spend many months, maybe years, trying to recruit two 3 or more bigs--they just were not matches for Uconn. So--I can't blame Geno, some do, for this lack--recruiting is the biggest crap shoot this side of Vegas. The odd makers only look at who is coaching Uconn and the odds go, usually, towards Uconn.==However I'd trade those odds for at least 2 capable bigs over 6 ft 4 inches.

The other side of that coin is that thankfully Uconn may not meet TX or Baylor until the NCAA's and maybe not then. Nearly everyone else Uconn has played and defeated, yes there are exceptions, but I like Uconn's chances.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I think a big push is needed by UConn to get Batouly into games where we can benefit from her physicality (If she is cleared of course). Maybe starting with SC. In the last game against Memphis, she looked really strong and physical. Like a bull in a china shop. :mad::mad:

That might help in the board wars a little and protect our foul situation.

Reaction Score
I think a big push is needed by UConn to get Batouly into games where we can benefit from her physicality (If she is cleared of course). Maybe starting with SC. In the last game against Memphis, she looked really strong and physical. Like a bull in a china shop. :mad::mad:

Batouly---I'd like to have a good, near big, Touly isn't tall--strong, not tall.
I hate to say this but truth is truth (my truth) Watching Touly in the 3 or 5 games she appeared in--the Memphis was her most minutes. Forgive me, but her shot is off, she at times looks lost or confused. She does not appear to have the skills of Irwin--
All of the above may be her lack of PT and injury and she may be coming along well--that's a Geno decision not mine. The kid I see trying--isn't ready, and appears she may not be ready until next season.
Just my poor ignorant uninformed vision of what I think I saw. Like you I'd like to see her be all we thought she may be when she transferred in.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I continue to hope that Batouly will find some minutes in the rotation. One of the things I love about her is that when a shot goes up, at either end of the court, Batouly immediately finds the nearest opposing player in the paint and bodies her away from the basket hard. She has also demonstrated some surprising quickness.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Batouly---I'd like to have a good, near big, Touly isn't tall--strong, not tall.
I hate to say this but truth is truth (my truth) Watching Touly in the 3 or 5 games she appeared in--the Memphis was her most minutes. Forgive me, but her shot is off, she at times looks lost or confused. She does not appear to have the skills of Irwin--
All of the above may be her lack of PT and injury and she may be coming along well--that's a Geno decision not mine. The kid I see trying--isn't ready, and appears she may not be ready until next season.
Just my poor ignorant uninformed vision of what I think I saw. Like you I'd like to see her be all we thought she may be when she transferred in.

Yes. Batouly is not tall but she is a space eater and when properly boxing out, I think she can be a strong force on the boards. Offense may suffer but if the game is going in a way where we are getting killed on the boards, I think she could stem the tide. I just don't think Kyla can physically match up against the biggest front courts. Yes, Kyla does have the ability to bring players out to the high post because she is a good shooter and is a far better passer. I also thing Kyla's positional defense may be among the best on the team so in most cases, I prefer Kyla but in cases where we are being bludgeoned on the glass (Baylor definitely, Miss U ?), I would like additional options.

Reaction Score
I saw a Texas team that could not make shots last night and stood around on offense. I saw a Baylor team that has size and was very active on defense. They may not be an offensive juggernaut without offensive rebounding but their defense looks like it could more than make up for that. Baylor will quite simply not give up many second chance baskets. Reinforces my position that the teams that pose the biggest challenge for UConn are Mississippi State and Baylor.

Reaction Score
Yes. Batouly is not tall but she is a space eater and when properly boxing out, I think she can be a strong force on the boards. Offense may suffer but if the game is going in a way where we are getting killed on the boards, I think she could stem the tide. I just don't think Kyla can physically match up against the biggest front courts. Yes, Kyla does have the ability to bring players out to the high post because she is a good shooter and is a far better passer. I also thing Kyla's positional defense may be among the best on the team so in most cases, I prefer Kyla but in cases where we are being bludgeoned on the glass (Baylor definitely, Miss U ?), I would like additional options.
I don't disagree with your reasoning---that all makes sense to me.
Batouly--do you think she is ready to play in big time Div 1 games at this point??
Irwin--I see her much differently than you in many ways. In any time less than crunch or in a back and forth, win or lose game--I'd rather have her on the bench. When the game is not on the line she could provide good relief moments for Napheesa and Gabby. We have not seen Irwin in any game of any significance since she arrived (that I can remember), do you think Geno would use her against Baylor, Tx, or Mss St ? This is not to disagree with your and my belief Uconn needs real help against big teams. I just dont know where that help may come from.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom