Terrence Samuel Transferring | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Terrence Samuel Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Guys, not hard to figure out. Wish TSam well, he'll always be a Husky and he was huge as a freshman in our run.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Not sure who you would be talking about but it's a basketball forum. If you play or coach UConn criticism may come with the deal like it or not. And hell if it was all roses and every player was great we'd all be really bored wouldn't we?
Let's check with the girls about that point.

Reaction Score
I will admit that one of my first reactions upon hearing this news was, "He must know Gibbs is coming," so I definitely do not absolve myself from contributing to that mentality.

Then again, I tend to think I'm more sentimental than most people, particularly as it relates to sports. I don't want this program to ever become Kentucky where players are viewed as buffers to our own entertainment.

Terrence...the best way I can put it is he was one of our guys. He wasn't somebody who played here for two years with one foot hanging out the exit door. He wasn't a kid who came in and was physically overwhelmed or misplaced on the court. He wasn't even a kid who was pretty good and shrugged his shoulders at competition for playing time.

Here was a kid who, by our standards, was a light recruit, who decided to sign on and play for us knowing full well that we had one of the bets backcourts in the country. All he did, all season, was work, and by the time we were playing our biggest games he was a big part of the winning.

This year, not unpredictably, was a rocky transition for him, but never did he stop exuding all the qualities we look for - mentally - in a UConn player, and at no moment did I even consider the possibility that he wouldn't finish his career here. There are some kids you can't picture in another uniform, independent of their skill level, and when those guys leave, it hurts.

If Sterling Gibbs commits to UConn I might name my first-born after him, and if Samuel is a casualty of him coming here, I guess that is the price of doing business in big time college athletics. But I was looking forward to defending Samuel on this board over the next two years, if for no other reason than he seems like the sort who would do the same for me.

I'm sad that he's gone, I'm sad I won't be able to watch him grow these next two years in Husky blue, and I'll obviously be a huge fan wherever he ends up. 2014 can't be taken away from us, and if he leaves a legacy half as good at his next school, he'll have done damn well.
A big Amen to your post
I like TSam ,I have also been and would have continued to defend him
When a kid even a Soph could be depended on to make meaningful foul shots ,you know he is a keeper. Just weeks ago he was a key player in the NIT game.
I can't see Gibbs as the reason for him leaving as Sterling is a one year player and TSam most likely will sit next year wherever he goes.I suspect there is more to it than Gibbs

He was a jump shot away from being a Huskie favorite.
Thanks Terrance and good luck wherever you go
Work on that shot so you can keep the Defenders honest.

Reaction Score
Tim Fontenault‏@Tim_Fontenault
Whoa, just got the Samuel release. I've heard that he isn't a big fan of Kevin Ollie anymore.

Anyone have intel on this...?

I think Ollie's recruitment of Gibbs probably made him upset. Ollie recruiting Gibbs means he didn't have faith in Samuel to be the PG this year. Can't blame TSam for leaving, if Gibbs comes that means he'd be behind both Gibbs and Adams. Best of luck TSam. We will miss you.

Reaction Score
TSam was an integral part of the championship team. He really played well when defenses couldn't cheat off their man and clog the lane when UConn had the personnel (shooters like Giff, Bazz, Boat, Daniels and even Kromah). There's very few UConn transfers that will be missed as much as TSsam.

Reaction Score
just got back from the bar. drunk. can't believe tsam is leaving. Will (and should always be in our hearts for his sparks off the bench during our 2014 run) always be in my memory for # 4. Good luck to TSam for wherever he ends up!

Brodog16

Alzheimer's sucks
Reaction Score
Next level talent where at the rec league? He was a great guy but lacks the talent even for euro ball.
As I said... DONT KNOW if he has next level talent. Did I say NBA? Did I say D League? No, I did not. This is why most new posters just leave this site.

Reaction Score
As I said... DONT KNOW if he has next level talent. Did I say NBA? Did I say D League? No, I did not. This is why most new posters just leave this site.
No you didn't explicitly state that but you did mention next level and unless it is the local pick up league or some small foreign league which I don't consider next level I just don't see him making a career in basketball. Great kid and loved his D but he was a very limited basketball player. I'm sad to see him leave and wished he stayed as he would given us more flexibility on the bench. It was unfortunate for him that he didn't posses point guard skills or a shot.

Reaction Score
By the way Terrence favorited a bunch of tweets tonight from people wishing him luck, but one that he favorited was actually about him going to VCU. Anyone hear of a possible landing spot for him yet?

Reaction Score
"I don't want this program to ever become Kentucky where players are viewed as buffers to our own entertainment.

Terrence...the best way I can put it is he was one of our guys. He wasn't somebody who played here for two years with one foot hanging out the exit door. He wasn't a kid who came in and was physically overwhelmed or misplaced on the court. He wasn't even a kid who was pretty good and shrugged his shoulders at competition for playing time."

I am in full agreement. Elsewhere, I have asked if we (Uconn) are becoming the new KU. A haven for the one and done bb players with one year of eligibility remaining. Well, if we have to save money (important when you are in a conf like the AAC) why not get these kids- others have already put in the money and the work to making them the attraction they must be!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm disappointed he's leaving because March of 2014 proved he has some potential. I'm sure KO was honest with him, and I suspect it's about PT.

Thank you TS, all the best

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Very surprised, but also totally understand... He gave us everything he had for two years and i thank him for that. He obviously had his limitations, but it is now imperative that we add another ballhandler. Seems like the senior bench player is all but dead in college basketball. Feel like transferring used to be a rare thing, now it seems staying and being a 7th or 8th man is.

Nolan and Calhoun

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Let's be real. His leaving is not just an emotional loss. I love his demeanor and his role in the 14 N.C. too. But at this point he is our third guard, if Gibbs comes our fourth. This is a basketball loss too. I was very strong in criticizing our lack of ball handling skills behind Boat last year. But now we are in a worse situation than we were in on Wednesday. Even if we get Gibbs, I still wanted Terrence as the fourth guard.

Reaction Score
"I don't want this program to ever become Kentucky where players are viewed as buffers to our own entertainment.

Terrence...the best way I can put it is he was one of our guys. He wasn't somebody who played here for two years with one foot hanging out the exit door. He wasn't a kid who came in and was physically overwhelmed or misplaced on the court. He wasn't even a kid who was pretty good and shrugged his shoulders at competition for playing time."

I am in full agreement. Elsewhere, I have asked if we (Uconn) are becoming the new KU. A haven for the one and done bb players with one year of eligibility remaining. Well, if we have to save money (important when you are in a conf like the AAC) why not get these kids- others have already put in the money and the work to making them the attraction they must be!

We don't know the facts here as of yet but if Gibbs is the reason then so be it. I take Gibbs all day and hope TSam stays to still be a key part. If he leaves (he did) then we have Sterling Gibbs who can shoot and has proven to be a very good college player. You HAVE to do it this way if the offer is there, no doubt about it.

Reaction Score
Let's be real. His leaving is not just an emotional loss. I love his demeanor and his role in the 14 N.C. too. But at this point he is our third guard, if Gibbs comes our fourth. This is a basketball loss too. I was very strong in criticizing our lack of ball handling skills behind Boat last year. But now we are in a worse situation than we were in on Wednesday. Even if we get Gibbs, I still wanted Terrence as the fourth guard.

I don't have any doubt that if healthy Sam Jr will be a terrific 4th guard and as good as TSam would have offered - maybe not on the defensive side but just coming in and offering solid minutes. We need to give him a chance when his legs are fully recovered. Any way with Rodney and Omar, even DHam we have people who can allow us to play one solid guard on occasion depending on the defense being played against them. I would love to have had TSam stay and be that 4th but if Gibbs comes, we win the trade.

Reaction Score
Sometimes a breakup is mutually beneficial. Truth is, the writing was on the wall for TSam and his role at UConn would be as a limited reserve going forward. This young man undeniably deserves the opportunity to seek more playing time elsewhere. For UConn, emotions aside and I understand how strong there are for TSam and what he did in our tourney run, this isn't a huge loss on the court. He added depth(which currently is a concern). Simply put, as we saw last year, if TSam was our starting pg playing extended minutes, this team would be in trouble. Again, best of luck to TSam and I think most of us will root for him going forward. As for UConn, last year showed how desperately this roster needs an upgrade in talent. That isn't always easy to accept, but so far it seems that Ollie and company are heading in the right direction.

Reaction Score
i hope this means gibbs is here. i also hope samuel succeeds in giving the final four performance he gave us that we never forgot for another team. goodluck terrence!!!

Reaction Score
You are a if your first and only take on this is that Gibbs is coming. Gonna miss you, T-Sam.

Really, white knight much? "only" I agree with but not first, the kid is a mercenary, he's leaving UConn to pursue his best interests, so obviously fans of the team he used to play for should treat it like he's a family member and your love for him will never diminish... its sports!!

I'm going to miss the guy loads, I was crushed when I saw this update on my phone, but at the end of the day, I think he's leaving the school, not the school pushing him out technically

Reaction Score
Guy made some pretty epic great moves during the tourney run, will never forget his hustle. I thought we'd have him for 4 years, bulldog who could come in and play some stingy D and get to the line a few times.

Good luck wherever you end up tough guy, Huskie Nation is behind you

Reaction Score

I understand and I wanted him as a 4th guard, a player who comes off the bench and works hard. The thing is HE doesnt want to be a 4th guard. He wants 25 plus minutes a game and be on the floor. Its not happeneing this year or next, he cant shoot and his handle is sketchy to play those minutes.

Someone else also said its not because of Gibbs because Gibbs is one and done and Tsam has to sit out next season. The thing is its no secrect for 2016 were looking for another PG, like Gilbert. So Tsam in his senior year would know his role is limited. Let him go to a mid-major and be a quality player who plays 35 minutes agame and helps them reach the tourny.

I wish him good luck but besides being a great teammate and a rare hard worker not a huge loss for UConn especially if we land Gibbs and Gilbert.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Agreed. I know why he is leaving. I know with Gibbs and without Terrence, we are a better team. But we are less today without him. And even with Gibbs, I think he would be a nice addition. Just stating that it is not all nostalgia and 2014 to be missed.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Best of luck to T-Sam. His hard work, team support, and ability to drive into the lane will be missed as others have said. I wish he remained with the team, but if its best for both sides then it had to be that way. Players come and go. He will remain a Husky in our heads.

Reaction Score
Nolan and Calhoun

I'll give you Phil... Omar was a top 50 player coming in who was a freshman starter and has since fallen on his face. I was referring to the bench guy - the DBev's, Olanders, etc. Those guys who weren't huge recruits who were solid bench guys. Seems those guys transfer out now as opposed to being 10mpg a game guys as seniors. Makes sense why, just amazed at how "free agency" has exploded the last few years in CBB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom