Terrence Samuel given release from Penn St | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Terrence Samuel given release from Penn St

Reaction Score
T-Sam would add tremendous value to our practices and lots of wisdom on how to win an NC.
Terrence scored a few good hoops on drives to the basket that were wide open because opponents were playing off him and concentrating on Bazz. He is at best an average defender and is too slow to defend quicker guards. The kid gives you everything he has and I'm sure he can help some team but Div 2 is a better choice for him.

Reaction Score
This is crazy talk. He wasn't talented enough to be here when we had a lot less talent.
Wait... we were less talented in 2014 when we won the national title than we will be next season when we're coming off a 16-17 record?

I love the guys we have and think we can be very good. I also think we're not beyond the point that we could use a guy who gives us 3/2/1 p/r/a on 56% shooting and great defense for 10 minutes a game, which is what Samuel did when he was a freshman.

I get it – there are other guys we all want more, and we're right to want those guys more. But the kid was the 8th man on a title team, so I don't think he's useless.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The real question is does Ollie have it in his heart to say no?

Reaction Score
As pointed out above, if he had been on the team this year he would have played 20 minutes a game and made us better. But it's not likely that he helps us next year.

If we fill the 13th scholarship, we really need it to be someone who only has it for one season. So if he's the 13th man, I have no issue with it.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
There were times when he had a decent mid-range shot going. On anything from 3 point land he was a disaster. Marcus Thomas (remember him?) had more career threes than Samuel. Hell, Hilton Armstrong outdid him with one made 3.

Reaction Score
1) Yes, we're better than Penn State. Holy crap, the internet is too GD easy to use these day. Jesus.

2) There's no reason to bring Terrence back. The staff is passing on people like Shawn Olden and we're going to be Samuel back? Nope. There's nothing he does that we don't have a player that will do it better. He's not good.

Well, Olden would be eating a ship for multiple years. We can't sacrifice that spot for a guy unless he is an impact player. A lot of the Samuel attraction is sentimental, for sure. The only way I would want him back is if we are sitting in late May with our 13th slot looking like its going to a guy like Foxen. In this case, fine. Regardless, apparently Oz got feedback that the staff is not particularly interested. He is no longer our infallible insider after the Diallo fiasco but it appears that this whole conversation is a moot point.

Reaction Score
Terrence scored a few good hoops on drives to the basket that were wide open because opponents were playing off him and concentrating on Bazz. He is at best an average defender and is too slow to defend quicker guards. The kid gives you everything he has and I'm sure he can help some team but Div 2 is a better choice for him.

D-2? Christ, kid helped us win a national championship. He can play at this level.

I would have taken him over Cobb for sure.

C

Chief00

Well, Olden would be eating a ship for multiple years. We can't sacrifice that spot for a guy unless he is an impact player. A lot of the Samuel attraction is sentimental, for sure. The only way I would want him back is if we are sitting in late May with our 13th slot looking like its going to a guy like Foxen. In this case, fine. Regardless, apparently Oz got feedback that the staff is not particularly interested. He is no longer our infallible insider after the Diallo fiasco but it appears that this whole conversation is a moot point.
Correct, Chief was right on Diallo not Oz. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean he's not an insider. Just that he needs to learn to filter better - an inexact science.

Reaction Score
In that scenario TSam did great things for us. He's a complimentary player who probably wants to start. Would it work the same way with next year's team? Who knows? I guess our needs won't be apparent until we start playing a few games. It's not outside shooting he brings, but are we set there? Should it be a strong rebounder? Lots of question marks with health and how youngsters end up performing.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score

Okay, I watched. Really an alert defender. Good inside passing, sees the whole court. Can finish at the rim with both hands. But I have to ask, did he call glass on that 3 in the second clip?

Reaction Score
If he came back ollie could use him like marcus smart

Reaction Score
Much density on this board. The three guard perimeter has always been UCONN's secret sauce on offense. UCONN is one popped shoulder away from being short at guard next year. The idea that a player who was a key contributor to a championship team as a Freshmen could not come here and be a valuable role player as a 5th year senior is absurd.

If Ollie can find someone better I'm all for it but if not i'd love to see TSAM back.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Correct, Chief was right on Diallo not Oz. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean he's not an insider. Just that he needs to learn to filter better - an inexact science.
Tell the truth. You got aroused when you wrote that first sentence, didn't you?

Reaction Score
Amida Brimah beat St Joes with a 3 point play. TSam did a couple of great things in the miraculous run our guys had. But it wasn't going to get much better with these guys, that was the highlight for each.

Done time to move on to better things at UConn....next:confused:

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
It seems to me that this is not the way you run a program if bringing tsam back is for sentimental reasons only or even if only for the most part. Based on ability, Terrence will not play here and should find a better fit for him if he wants a post-grad year. Hope he focuses on the education part of that deal if he finds a taker.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Oz said it's not happening. The way he said it it sounds like Tsam was interested in coming back and contacted the staff to guage interst and the staff probably told him he wasn't a fit.
So if Oz is correct, then Ollie turned against his "family" atmosphere and said no?!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom