Tennessee vs. Stanford -- for whom to root? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tennessee vs. Stanford -- for whom to root?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
82, if you have to ask, you're not feeling the room. :confused:

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Rooting for Tennessee? Are you kidding me?:rolleyes:

But, if we want Geno to catch Tara in all-time wins, then, ...

Thoughts?

I mean, this is important.;)

I think I posted this same thing last year.Head bang

Congratulations @UConn82 Your thread gave us all a chance to dump on the team we hate most. Now, where the hell is @meyers7 ? ;)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Congratulations @UConn82 Your thread gave us all a chance to dump on the team we hate most. Now, where the hell is @meyers7 ? ;)
Yup, this was the ole "gimme put back for 2!" or in Liv's case, "put back, get it, put back, get and Napheesa gets, put back for 2!":p

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Northern Ireland is not the Irish Republic. You can still have a fistfight in Glasgow by wearing green or orange anytime the Celtics play the Rangers.

William III actually pushed to have the Toleration Act of 1689 extended to Roman Catholics.

The historian Kenneth Pearl sees the Act of Toleration as "in many ways a compromise bill. To get nonconformists' (Protestants who were not members of the Church of England) support in the crucial months of 1688". Both the Whig and Tory parties that had rallied around William and Mary had promised nonconformists that such an act would be enacted if the revolution succeeded. James II had himself issued an act of toleration, but the nonconformists believed their future would be more secure if the Sovereign was not a Roman Catholic.

Roman Catholics were no longer hunted down after the passage of the Act, and William III was seen as an ally personally. The Orange on the Celtic Flag is a tip of the hat to the Dutchman that curbed the worst tendencies of the English Anglicans.
I know full well that Northern Ireland is not the Irish Republic, and if you read what I wrote you would not be confused as to that. I know that William III was forced by political circumstance to oppose James and that his bigger fear was the French and Spanish. But battles in 1690 and 1691 ,at the Boyne ,and at Aughrim resulted in the Williamite protestant victory over the Catholic forces. So after they conquered the Irish, and took their land, and and suppressed their faith, the Irish were forced into a tenuous truce of sorts. Just because he wasn't the most intolerant of the English kings , he was still despised by many there. But the point of this whole mess was that the Orange associated with William of Orange was a source of derision and anger for over 300 years among certain Irish. The Jacobites were not the best of the bunch, but the "to hell or Cannacht ' English were hardly considerate of the Irish people. He may have tried to curb their "worst" tendencies, but their "regular" tendencies led directly to the genocide of the Irish in the starvation during the 1840s and 1850s. Up the Republic and Go Huskies! :D

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Rangers and Celtic don't even have to be playing to get into a fist fight in Glasgow. Beware the "Glaswegian kiss" aka the "glaswegian handshake"

Urban Dictionary: glaswegian kiss
Better than a Glasgow smile.

NINTCHDBPICT000003452852-e1536837483402.jpg

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Sorry, but there can only ever be 2 reasons to root for the orange people:

1) Their victory would weaken a major NC competitor of UConn
2) A loss would hasten HW's demise

And those are necessary, not sufficient, conditions.

Why would a UConn fan want Warlick to leave UTenn? She's doing just fine there.

Reaction Score
I know full well that Northern Ireland is not the Irish Republic, and if you read what I wrote you would not be confused as to that. I know that William III was forced by political circumstance to oppose James and that his bigger fear was the French and Spanish. But battles in 1690 and 1691 ,at the Boyne ,and at Aughrim resulted in the Williamite protestant victory over the Catholic forces. So after they conquered the Irish, and took their land, and and suppressed their faith, the Irish were forced into a tenuous truce of sorts. Just because he wasn't the most intolerant of the English kings , he was still despised by many there. But the point of this whole mess was that the Orange associated with William of Orange was a source of derision and anger for over 300 years among certain Irish. The Jacobites were not the best of the bunch, but the "to hell or Cannacht ' English were hardly considerate of the Irish people. He may have tried to curb their "worst" tendencies, but their "regular" tendencies led directly to the genocide of the Irish in the starvation during the 1840s and 1850s. Up the Republic and Go Huskies! :D
Certain Irish, I can well imagine...but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't still be gracing the Irish Flag if William III, and the Dutch Orange, which it represents, was the focus of their ire.

For the record, 93% of my DNA is Celtic from the Northwest of Ireland (Donegal) and the Southwest (Cork).

Donegal
The Society of United Irishmen formed in 1791 to combat British control of the Irish Parliament. A “fellowship of freedom,” attracting Catholics and Protestants alike, it eventually totaled about 5 percent of the population. The group led uprisings beginning in May 1798, often armed with little more than pikes and pitchforks and fought until September when they were overwhelmed by loyalist troops. 30,000 Irish died and much of the land was in ruins. Harsh government reprisals afterwards stoked fear and paranoia—public assemblies were banned and the press censored. More than half a million would flee the Emerald Isle over the next four decades. Most settled in Western PA, including my own forebears.

This, of course, occurred not under the Jacobites or Dutch Billy, but under the Hanoverian George's brought in to keep the Jacobites out, and who were a nasty throwback to the kind of rigid authoritarianism that led to the American and French Revolutions the Irish were emulating in 1798.

Cork
The remote regions of Munster, Ireland’s southwestern province—including the western peninsulas of Cork and Kerry and the boggy highlands of Limerick—were the ideal refuge for Irish outlaws who rebelled against their British rulers, which they did frequently. Cork soon came to be known as “the rebel city.” Protected by impassable peat bogs and mountains, these outlaws and their descendants practiced Catholicism freely and preserved a distinct culture of Gaelic language, literature, song, and dance. Dairying was especially prevalent in Munster, and families typically had many children to help with the unending labor such a lifestyle demanded.

My relatives here hung on through most of the Victorian Era, and the starvation of 25% of the population in the famine of 1845-52, when over a million Irish fled the island.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Certain Irish, I can well imagine...but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't still be gracing the Irish Flag if William III, and the Dutch Orange, which it represents, was the focus of their ire.

For the record, 93% of my DNA is Celtic from the Northwest of Ireland (Donegal) and the Southwest (Cork).

Donegal
The Society of United Irishmen formed in 1791 to combat British control of the Irish Parliament. A “fellowship of freedom,” attracting Catholics and Protestants alike, it eventually totaled about 5 percent of the population. The group led uprisings beginning in May 1798, often armed with little more than pikes and pitchforks and fought until September when they were overwhelmed by loyalist troops. 30,000 Irish died and much of the land was in ruins. Harsh government reprisals afterwards stoked fear and paranoia—public assemblies were banned and the press censored. More than half a million would flee the Emerald Isle over the next four decades. Most settled in Western PA, including my own forebears.

This, of course, occurred not under the Jacobites or Dutch Billy, but under the Hanoverian George's brought in to keep the Jacobites out, and who were a nasty throwback to the kind of rigid authoritarianism that led to the American and French Revolutions the Irish were emulating in 1798.

Cork
The remote regions of Munster, Ireland’s southwestern province—including the western peninsulas of Cork and Kerry and the boggy highlands of Limerick—were the ideal refuge for Irish outlaws who rebelled against their British rulers, which they did frequently. Cork soon came to be known as “the rebel city.” Protected by impassable peat bogs and mountains, these outlaws and their descendants practiced Catholicism freely and preserved a distinct culture of Gaelic language, literature, song, and dance. Dairying was especially prevalent in Munster, and families typically had many children to help with the unending labor such a lifestyle demanded.

My relatives here hung on through most of the Victorian Era, and the starvation of 25% of the population in the famine of 1845-52, when over a million Irish fled the island.
All this is very good . But in the ditty, which I posted initially, the King Billy to whom they are referring is William III. Prince of Orange. That is all there is to it. If you like him, that is good.,and given your heritage, perhaps noble. The guys singing the song were not fond of him, or his colors. Green for Catholics, white for hope of peace, and orange for Protestants. The guy who sang the song apparently did not have much hope! As for the Western Pa. part, my grandfather's very Irish family lived in the Carrick section of Pittsburgh! Small world. :D

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
1544216338388.png

Is this right? Does Stanford play Baylor before Tennessee? Why aren't we talking about that? The Cardinal could lose three in row.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
View attachment 37234
Is this right? Does Stanford play Baylor before Tennessee? Why aren't we talking about that? The Cardinal could lose three in row.

Gosh... the TN-Stanford game is 10 days away...... I was thinking this game was this weekend.

Reaction Score

Donegal

Cork

Thank you for writing about this. I have a friend who is a dairy farmer outside Cork. I also have relatives who live in Dublin. They have a cottage on Fennell's Bay near Cork. You reminded me of our wonderful talks about the history of the area around Cork. They told some stories about help, in the area of Cork, to the Spanish Armada, something that made Queen Elizabeth I very unhappy with them. I wonder if you know anything about the truth of the stories.

Reaction Score
Thank you for writing about this. I have a friend who is a dairy farmer outside Cork. I also have relatives who live in Dublin. They have a cottage on Fennell's Bay near Cork. You reminded me of our wonderful talks about the history of the area around Cork. They told some stories about help, in the area of Cork, to the Spanish Armada, something that made Queen Elizabeth I very unhappy with them. I wonder if you know anything about the truth of the stories.
No stories yet, but plenty of the dark-haired blue-eyed devils in the family...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom