Tennessee vs South Carolina - 3/02/18 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Tennessee vs South Carolina - 3/02/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
This is how the rest of us feel when we’re watching Notre Dame play Louisville (for example) but somehow ESPN finds a way to talk about UConn/Geno Auriemma for a solid 5 or more minutes DURING the game. This happens all of the time.

We stomach it. I think you guys can handle a little A’ja Wilson overload. She’ll be done with WCBB in a few weeks if that helps.

During that ND - Louisville game, the reason why they were talking about UConn and Geno was because UConn had already played ND and won by nine while Louisville was going to play UConn down the road, (also on ESPN) and they were blowing out ND. Most of their commentary was about #1 VS #2 match up and that UConn had to face SC before that.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I am not a fan of either of them, but SC was clearly the better team tonight.

As someone pointed out, there were two SC teams out there. Only the one with Wilson playing was better. SC passing was awful and at times lazy I thought, and no perimeter shooting. If UT makes half their lay-ups they win despite Russell with zero defensive rebounds!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I've come to realize that it is not just Wilson's talent that makes her a candidate for POY but also her leadership and affect on her teammates.
She does seem to get protection from officials ( especially not calling a violation on her for swinging her elbows) but if she wins the award she arguably deserves it. One of the announcers said today that everybody thinks she deserves it. I am a part of everybody and I don't think she deserves it.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I've come to realize that it is not just Wilson's talent that makes her a candidate for POY but also her leadership and affect on her teammates.
She does seem to get protection from officials ( especially not calling a violation on her for swinging her elbows) but if she wins the award she arguably deserves it. One of the announcers said today that everybody thinks she deserves it. I am a part of everybody and I don't think she deserves it.

Everybody on ESPN apparently believes that she deserves it.

Reaction Score
I congratulate Wilson for her grit in hanging in there and giving it her best... i think she played less than half the game... but when she was in she was good...

On the LV side.... Nared was not on her best shooting night... but i have always been a big fan of hers.... good effort tonight.... and although I have seen several LV games this year... Hayes stuck out tonight as giving supreme effort.... I recorded the game as I couldn't give full attention to it.... but my quick read was that Tenn as a whole.... well they put in a solid effort...

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Nared 5-19 shooting. Can't shoot. Some project her as a first round WNBAer. I don't understand it.

She's scrappy and a good all around player. Good size, ability, and build for a SF. Above average passer and is a good defender. Great rebounder, can shoot from midrange/deep and also score inside. Capable of being a much better shooter than she's shown this year--she shot 38% from deep a year ago. I think she's played her way out of the first round, but I would not be surprised to see her stick in the WNBA. I think she has more upside than a lot of players entering this draft, but whether she develops is another story.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It's such a shame when a TV network posts truthful statements. What are they thinking?
“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.”- Aaron Levenstein

Sure, Tenn has won 5 times but they played South Carolina 8 times in the last 6 years, before last night's game, making them 5-3. UConn is 4-0.

It really isn't necessary to chastise everyone who doesn't like Tennessee. No one is required to like other teams or even be objective here.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Everybody on ESPN apparently believes that she deserves it.
For example, on ESPNW this morning, the largest picture/story is about who? You guessed it. I'm glad that A'ja and TN/SC was the most exciting tournament game yesterday...
But at least it was WBB.

Reaction Score
“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.”- Aaron Levenstein

Sure, Tenn has won 5 times but they played South Carolina 8 times in the last 6 years, before last night's game, making them 5-3. UConn is 4-0.

It really isn't necessary to chastise everyone who doesn't like Tennessee. No one is required to like other teams or even be objective here.

I use statistics every day. I'm well aware of their potential for misuse.

Lol at the notion that I'm not anti Tenn.

This board is veering into whinefest, where every media statement is viewed as has having a hidden anti UConn bias. It is wrong and it is tiresome. And it's insulting to the workers at espn who by and large do a great job covering the sport.

It was a SC -tenn game. OF COURSE they are going to show a stat about them. And a factual stat at that.

cabbie191

Reaction Score
My general take on the accolades announcers make during a broadcast is whether consciously or unconsciously, they are going to play up with enthusiasm the skills/records/accomplishments of the teams that are playing, and point out flaws/problems with a more factual tone.

Why? First, I think there is a tendency in the women’s game to be affirming, perhaps because the majority of the broadcast crew are former players and coaches. They’ve invested most of their careers in WBB - affirming the sport is affirming themselves.

Second, the majority of the folks who are watching the game are going to be fans of the two teams involved, especially if the only way to get to the game is via streaming. Think how prickly we as UConn fans can get at what we perceive as any slight, and then imagine how’s Gamecock fans would have reacted if the announcers were equally passionate in letting us know that SC’s ball handling was terrible as they were in admiring their star player.

And then scope out point 2 to casual viewers who chanced upon the game. “Say Gail, have you noticed how lazy the Gamecock’s passing is tonight, matched only by Russell’s apparent lack of energy?” To which the casual viewer might say to himself: “Hey, this IS really bad basketball for two supposedly elite teams. Maybe I should tune into that Norwegian slow-television channel and watch a fire log burning instead.”

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This board is veering into whinefest, where every media statement is viewed as has having a hidden anti UConn bias. It is wrong and it is tiresome. And it's insulting to the workers at espn who by and large do a great job covering the sport.
It's always been that way. We just have more posters now.

I'm not a fan of a Boneyarder using sarcasm and derision as a way to steer conversations in a way that they prefer. In your post regarding the win/loss record of Tenn vs SC, you chose to be sarcastic to the poster rather than ask him to clarify his meaning. If you don't like the "whining" you can put threads on ignore, just like you can put posters on ignore.

upload_2018-3-3_12-48-13.png

Reaction Score
I have always loved Margo for her passion and support of her team.... but I get so tired of her harping about the refs..... she has some good points... lack of 3 pt defense... missed layups and there were a ton of them.... but it is a staple of hers to complain about the refs.... even Holly when she was interviewed on camera.... said that her team was missing layups and SC was not fouling them.... and of course the bad reefing, if it is indeed true.... is true for both sides.....

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
I have always loved Margo for her passion and support of her team.... but I get so tired of her harping about the refs..... she has some good points... lack of 3 pt defense... missed layups and there were a ton of them.... but it is a staple of hers to complain about the refs.... even Holly when she was interviewed on camera.... said that her team was missing layups and SC was not fouling them.... and of course the bad reefing, if it is indeed true.... is true for both sides.....

Well the alternative is to question a lack of preparation and a lack of conditioning and we know that can't be the issue:D

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Her motor is there for the most part.. Russell just isn’t as quick. I think people just underestimate how quick Wilson is for a post player.. on TV it doesn’t look fast but when you see her play in person she’s moving crazy fast on the block.
Hang in there, some of us appreciate the effort and success that A’ja has had. Her injuries and vertigo show how painfully bad SC is without her.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I just want every Lady Vol fan to ponder this stat: FT attempted: Tenn 714 Opp 437
Stop freakin complaining about the refs! They are biased IN YOUR FAVOR! STFU...

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
It's always been that way. We just have more posters now.

I'm not a fan of a Boneyarder using sarcasm and derision as a way to steer conversations in a way that they prefer. In your post regarding the win/loss record of Tenn vs SC, you chose to be sarcastic to the poster rather than ask him to clarify his meaning. If you don't like the "whining" you can put threads on ignore, just like you can put posters on ignore.

View attachment 29084
Nan what did I do to be ignored:rolleyes:

cabbie191

Reaction Score

I imagine that when UConn’s success comes down from its current stratospheric orbit and we start losing a few games a year, some of us will begin complaining more about referring too.

However, I think some of Tennessee’s fans have become quite professional in this regard. Some of the VolNation posters were griping about officiating in the Auburn game even though their team took 5 times as many foul shots!

Reaction Score
I just want every Lady Vol fan to ponder this stat: FT attempted: Tenn 714 Opp 437
Stop freakin complaining about the refs! They are biased IN YOUR FAVOR! ...

A foul shot discrepancy is not definitive proof of bias.

DePaul has taken fewer foul shots than its opponents, but I doubt refs are biased against them. Instead, the BD's style of offense draws fewer fouls than others.
UConn also has a large foul shot advantage.

cabbie191

Reaction Score
I have always loved Margo for her passion and support of her team.... but I get so tired of her harping about the refs..... she has some good points... lack of 3 pt defense... ...

This has often been the case in past games but wasn't, IMO, relevant in yesterday's game. Gamecocks were 1 - 7 on 3's.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
A foul shot discrepancy is not definitive proof of bias.

DePaul has taken fewer foul shots than its opponents, but I doubt refs are biased against them. Instead, the BD's style of offense draws fewer fouls than others.
UConn also has a large foul shot advantage.
No, not definitive but if the refs were biased, the difference would be smaller. The biggest issue with Tenn is the turnovers. They throw the ball away far too much.

RandomFan85

A Rogue LV Fan
Reaction Score
Stop freakin complaining about the refs! They are biased IN YOUR FAVOR! ...

That has a lot to do with style of play. Fact of the matter is that officiating is consistently aweful in the SEC.

Reaction Score
I still cannot wrap my head around TN +30 more shots. OR, they missed 63 shots.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom