Tennessee Postgame Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Tennessee Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Probably because she shot 50%/37%/74% last year..as a Freshman.

agreed although a fair chunk of those were layups..................but I would say that for a good shooter CW has some of the strangest misses I've seen.............her shots either go into the cylinder and out or they are so far off target that you can tell it's a miss as the ball leaves her hand..........:confused:

Reaction Score
and why don't they play in gampel a LOT more ... the XL is a dump
I have said that since I was a student in the early 80's. Uconn loses its home court advantage by playing away from Gampel. I understand that the HCC (XL) is a lot larger, but it loses the college atmosphere that should be at the game. I remember going to both Uconn vs the orange team, and Uconn vs. Georgetown men's on the same day back the first time Uconn was ranked number one with both teams. While both venues were pretty loud, there was no comparison. All big games should be played at Gampel.

Reaction Score
Well, one thing you can certainly do is alert the entire team to put a body on her whenever UConn puts up a shot. While Aubrey was fantastic going after every shot, she often had a wide open path to the basket.
Valid point and I agree in principle but Griffin had 13 points last night, three foul shots and five baskets. Three of the five off the top of my head were not box out opportunities. Her first basket was a breakaway off a steal when she first entered, one she followed up Makurat’s missed breakaway fast break layup by hustling, not assuming a make, and she got a fast break layup with no defender near off a nice lead pass from Dangerfield. I believe she also got one follow up when rolling to the basket after setting a pick, where box out responsibilities can become muddled. Auriemma even alluded in his post-game presser that was one of the scenarios they tried to create for her in general, asking her to screen, roll, and attack the glass.

Reaction Score
CW 3-point shot % has gone down a bit from last year. 1.1 makes a game for both years, but she's taken roughly 1 more shot a game (3 to 4). Thats really not her game though. She's a slasher and needs to make her pull-ups and layups consistently.

Reaction Score
It is also not the only thing the TN coach said about Aubrey. Watch the video. You will see that you and several other posters are making a mountain out of a molehill.
Not at all, I have no problem with what she said, it just wasn’t an accurate assessment as I saw it. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me, that’s what makes the world go round. Frankly, you are the one creating something out of nothing.

Reaction Score
Did the better team win or the worst team lose? Hope Geno will stop starting Kyla; start Anna and use Aubrey more often as a sub for Liv (who should be on a very short leash). No, don't thank me, Geno. I'm happy to help. :rolleyes:

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
I have to respectfully disagree. TN appeared to me playing as they always have with pressure D and “chuck-and-rebound” O.

This can’t all be placed on their new coach. She inherited the traditional TN athletes: hugely athletic but not terrifically talented basketball players.

That’s what made our poor shooting so hard for me to watch. I’m glad we won but we didn’t have a great opponent. On the other hand, the games we gut out will absolutely help to build the confidence to shoot better.

I’ve gone through this entire thread to see if anyone else would point this out! Yes, yes, yes! KH seems to subscribe to the “Summitt” school of coaching. Recruit tall, long, athletic women who may or may not be basketball skilled.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Valid point and I agree in principle but Griffin had 13 points last night, three foul shots and five baskets. Three of the five off the top of my head were not box out opportunities. Her first basket was a breakaway off a steal when she first entered, one she followed up Makurat’s missed breakaway fast break layup by hustling, not assuming a make, and she got a fast break layup with no defender near off a nice lead pass from Dangerfield. I believe she also got one follow up when rolling to the basket after setting a pick, where box out responsibilities can become muddled. Auriemma even alluded in his post-game presser that was one of the scenarios they tried to create for her in general, asking her to screen, roll, and attack the glass.
One stat tells all. Aubrey lead everyone on both teams with 5 ORB. The next closest player was Christyn with 3.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Tell me if I'm wrong. Undercutting is a foul because it can lead to an injury. Some infractions should be automatic regardless of the ball location/clock.

How would it have worked if Liv had fell off the side and broken a hip. Hummm?

Reaction Score
Well, one thing you can certainly do is alert the entire team to put a body on her whenever UConn puts up a shot. While Aubrey was fantastic going after every shot, she often had a wide open path to the basket.

Easier said than done. Aubrey attacks the boards aggressively and quickly, often from areas outside of what would consider "rebounding territory." One play in particular that I recall, Aubrey was behind the foul line when a shot when up, and she immediately darted to the basket and got position and a rebound from a TN player who was under the basket. Whatever else we know about our athletic freshman, we know for certain that she has a nose for the ball.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
I’ve gone through this entire thread to see if anyone else would point this out! Yes, yes, yes! KH seems to subscribe to the “Summitt” school of coaching. Recruit tall, long, athletic women who may or may not be basketball skilled.
You do realize that CKH didn’t recruit a single player on TN’s roster, correct???

Reaction Score
We now know why Geno was running all over Poland.
You bet she is...will be a star thanks to Geno..she was smart to come to Uconn
Guess I'll add my 2cents. I thought it was a great game. Two teams both wanting desperately to win in a fired up environment. Both young. I'm surprised nobody called the police on me because of the shouting the first quarter due to the missed layups and shots yet UConn was only down 3 at the half (TN helped that a lot with turnovers but not all of those were unforced).

When running Aubrey (the energizer bunny) adds tons to the team. A bit less when playing the half court set as she is sometimes lost. Ania showing much more now and I love that. I like Kyla a lot but she is 6'2" also when jumping which she never does. Good to settle things down if it gets out of control though. You have to remember that the reason the "big" 3 were having issues is they had 5 people guarding them when UConn was on offense. The people who pointed out the "big" 3 only pass to Ania when absolutely necessary are correct. It has to stop. Aubrey needs as much experience as she can get at the right times. We will need her. She easily out jumped all the TN bigs.

I'm really beginning to love this team. They have matured, learned, improved, "figured it out". Imagine what they will be able to do once they start hitting shots.

Edited to say that I like the TN coach. I think she has class and will be good (does not in any way mean I like the Vols). I thought her post game presser was well thought out and I did not take her comment about Aubrey as an offense - they obviously didn't plan for her to have that kind of a game - me either!
Interesting...I continually see a lack of passing to Anna..why??? She is a great freshman who will become a WNBA player..what's up???4

Reaction Score
Last time I looked, the UConn game thread on VolNation was approaching 1000 posts. Not sure there is that much to discuss about any game but gives indication on the focus this game had at Tenn.

Yes funny thing is that they are timid about going all in on their opinions.... they are not sure if KJH is or is not the solution.... obsessed with UConn of course but standing by and not invested opinion wise about the programs other than ours who have passed them like they are standing still..... assessing blame to the officials (still) fatigue... and much to the players..... in my book, the coaches are responsible for everything and can change everything.... from all I read on their forum... shooting cannot be coached, nor can hustle.... free throws can't etc etc.... I am sure they can get it together.... not sure Coach H is the answer but at for LV fans she is far better than CHW I hope for their sake they pull it together.... I have more confidence in them than I do with the fan base.... it is funny …. when I travel around and meete LV fans they are knowledgable and great.... then you see the TN forums and you immediately think they are short a chromosome or two

Reaction Score
Can someone tag me to the post game interviews? I know they’re her. I’m going crazy trying to find them

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
She’s a first year coach. She’s coaching Warlick’s recruits

Reaction Score
You bet she is...will be a star thanks to Geno..she was smart to come to Uconn

Interesting...I continually see a lack of passing to Anna..why??? She is a great freshman who will become a WNBA player..what's up???4
Look, they are human. They love Anna. Because she gets the ball to them. As a result of a slow freshman jitters start they have not accepted her as a scorer. When they do, watch out!

Reaction Score
Yes, that was Zaay they were showing. She tore her ACL in practice after the 2nd game of the season. Was our leading scorer at the time and expected to contribute big this season, next best scoring option after Rennia. She had surgery quickly after and has been rehabbing non-stop since. She is moving well and has been cleared to shoot free throws with the team as of last week. Seems to be progressing quickly but will be out the rest of the season. It was a big loss for us...she’s extremely quick, a good defensive guard and has a good pull up jumper. Would have taken a lot of pressure off Jordan to be the next best scoring option.

Yes she is a wonderful player... and a shame her injury.... glad her rehab going well with ACLs and particularly women's ACLs you hold ur breath and hope.... good luck to her in her comeback

Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree with Dokey and JonathanXIV. Watch the game again and you’ll notice a few plays where AMak is wide open and the ball is passed to the other side.
MW I believe passed to Anna once towards the end of the game. Let’s see how this plays out today! I’m optimistic by nature so hey maybe they will pass to AMak more frequently. My wise Mother always said where’s there’s life there always hope! I also LOVE when Mak drives to the basket......maybe we’ll see a little more of that today as well!
Go UCONN! How fun is it that we get to watch two games in two days! So Fun!
Lucky Us! Love our UCONN gals!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree with Dokey and JonathanXIV. Watch the game again and you’ll notice a few plays where AMak is wide open and the ball is passed to the other side.
MW I believe passed to Anna once towards the end of the game. Let’s see how this plays out today! I’m optimistic by nature so hey maybe they will pass to AMak more frequently. My wise Mother always said where’s there’s life there always hope! I also LOVE when Mak drives to the basket......maybe we’ll see a little more of that today as well!
Go UCONN! How fun is it that we get to watch two games in two days! So Fun!
Lucky Us! Love our UCONN gals!
Players don’t have eyes in the back of their head, although I’m not so sure about Crystal. This is not one of UConn’s best passing teams. I would rate only Anna & Crystal as really good passers on this team. By that I mean they have great peripheral vision, awareness of where their teammates are on the court and the ability to deliver sharp, accurate passes on time to open teammates. The rest of the team are all average passers. They don’t necessarily recognize open teammates right away, and by the time they do, it’s often too late to get them the ball for an open shot.

Flash back to 3 years ago when UConn set the all-time record for assists in a season, breaking the record formerly held by UConn. There were 5 players on that team with over 100 assists: Saniya, Gabby, Kia, Lou & Crystal. That was a great passing team.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom