Tennessee Lady Vols | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Tennessee Lady Vols

Reaction Score
One of the reasons I'm shocked Fulwiley can Carolina give any quality minutes early is the general state of HS coaching in South Carolina. Many if not most SCHSL teams (girls and boys) receive rec league level coaching.
To be fair, MiLaysia is what many people call a generational talent, including Coach Staley. Staley has said many times she can do things with ball that she's never seen anyone else do, man or woman. She played on the varisty team starting in 7th grade (!), won four state titles, was a 4-time SCBCA POY and scored 3,000 (a record at her HS) in her career. She'll make freshman mistakes - but she's got the "wow" factor for sure. Her athleticism for her height (5'10) is mind-boggling! Has only shot less than 50% in one game so far this season and has played quality minutes in all. You have to see her in person to understand her gifts.

Reaction Score
You think Cooper is ready to make some kind of big impact this year? I’ve got news for you, her game is still rough around the edges. She is a great athlete, but I watched every minute of her PT at SC last season, and she reminded me of Saniya Rivers in her freshman year, in other words raw.
This has probably been said, but she has to sit out a year based on when she entered the portal.

Reaction Score
This has probably been said, but she has to sit out a year based on when she entered the portal.
Yeah we know, but he was insinuating she would have made a difference this season if she were eligible. My point was that she is still very raw.

Reaction Score
Saniya played more minutes in her freshman season. Despite her shooting percentage, it was obvious that she could develop into a good player because her athleticism just jumped off the page and you could tell she had a good basketball IQ. I never got that same impression with Cooper. Gamecock nation was way more sad to see Rivers go. I have no doubt that Cooper can develop into a solid player but I don't ever see her becoming a go-to player on offense like what has happened with Rivers at NC State.
Coop is more of a Bree Hall type .. she can play shooting guard, can back up Pg or can play wing (probably her best position) She has some defensive skills. I think she will do well at UT. Not a superstar but a solid player

Reaction Score
Saniya played more minutes in her freshman season. Despite her shooting percentage, it was obvious that she could develop into a good player because her athleticism just jumped off the page and you could tell she had a good basketball IQ. I never got that same impression with Cooper. Gamecock nation was way more sad to see Rivers go. I have no doubt that Cooper can develop into a solid player but I don't ever see her becoming a go-to player on offense like what has happened with Rivers at NC State.
I thought Rivers would be a star and Cooper might end up being a very solid all around big guard.

Reaction Score
To be fair, MiLaysia is what many people call a generational talent, including Coach Staley. Staley has said many times she can do things with ball that she's never seen anyone else do, man or woman. She played on the varisty team starting in 7th grade (!), won four state titles, was a 4-time SCBCA POY and scored 3,000 (a record at her HS) in her career. She'll make freshman mistakes - but she's got the "wow" factor for sure. Her athleticism for her height (5'10) is mind-boggling! Has only shot less than 50% in one game so far this season and has played quality minutes in all. You have to see her in person to understand her gifts.
I don't want to sidetrack a Lady Vols thread too much, but I meant to imply her ability to excel from Day 1 with very little coaching relative to hotbeds of HS girls ball was a strong indicator she's special, while Cooper's need for further seasoning was probably not her fault and shouldn't be an indictment of her long-term prospects.

Reaction Score
I don't want to sidetrack a Lady Vols thread too much, but I meant to imply her ability to excel from Day 1 with very little coaching relative to hotbeds of HS girls ball was a strong indicator she's special, while Cooper's need for further seasoning was probably not her fault and shouldn't be an indictment of her long-term prospects.
They all play high level AAU ball and attend multiple camps yearly in addition to their HS ball. Most of the top players from SC, NC and Ga have competed against each other And some have played with each other. Some of these young ladies like Fulwiley and Cooper also got the McDonald’s AA experience and Joyce also got team USA experience. The AAU coaches are all solid at that level of play and tbh almost all of the mid-large HS coaches are really good as well. Coop didn’t get short changed in her development compared to the others, she was just more raw. It happens.

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
One of the reasons I'm shocked Fulwiley can Carolina give any quality minutes early is the general state of HS coaching in South Carolina. Many if not most SCHSL teams (girls and boys) receive rec league level coaching.
Fulwiley played at a large public high school a few miles from where I live, so I've been paying attention to her for several years. Most top players receive private coaching plus AAU, of course, so they don't just rely on HS coaches. Regardless, she's one of the most (maybe the most) explosive guards I've ever seen play in person, and this is my 43rd season of seeing college WBB games in person. If she can become more consistent from 3, watch out.

If this tells you anything, I've already decided I'm waiting to retire until she graduates.

Reaction Score
Tennessee vs Indiana on FOX had 1.118 million viewers. First game this season to draw over a million eyeballs! (okay, technically over 2 million. ) :D

WOW! Looks like you guys will still watch the Lady Vols while you scream about/at Kellie. Good job!

Reaction Score
What’s going on with key? I know she’s coming back from blood clots. Is she not playing because she’s not in basketball shape? Or are the clots back?

Reaction Score
Just checked, over last 3 games her minutes have decreased, 8 to 2 and now zero minutes against ND.

Reaction Score
No Rice and no Key. No surprise they lost to ND even without Miles and Citron

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
No Rice and no Key. No surprise they lost to ND even without Miles and Citron
No Cass Prosper, either, who was initially in the rotation, then moved into the starting lineup once Citron went down. Now she's sitting next to Soni and 'Liv. :(

Key move of the game was Coach ivey going to a big line-up in the second half with 6'4" Kylee Watson at center, 6'5" Nat Marshall at high post and 6'3" Maddy Westbeld at wing. Marshall is quick on her feet (7 offensive rebounds) so that's where the Vols missed a player such as Key. No one got a body on Marshall. And Westbeld showed up in the 4th.

Reaction Score
No Cass Prosper, either, who was initially in the rotation, then moved into the starting lineup once Citron went down. Now she's sitting next to Soni and 'Liv. :(

Key move of the game was Coach ivey going to a big line-up in the second half with 6'4" Kylee Watson at center, 6'5" Nat Marshall at high post and 6'3" Maddy Westbeld at wing. Marshall is quick on her feet (7 offensive rebounds) so that's where the Vols missed a player such as Key. No one got a body on Marshall. And Westbeld showed up in the 4th.
What's the prognosis for Citron and Prosper? Those are significant losses.

Reaction Score
No Jackson for TN and not sure what's going on with Hollingshed. She's been looking like the GA version lately. Good game, but no surprise that ND won.

Reaction Score
No Jackson for TN and not sure what's going on with Hollingshed. She's been looking like the GA version lately. Good game, but no surprise that ND won.
Hollingshead needs to be utilized more. I feel like they forget she exists

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
What's the prognosis for Citron and Prosper? Those are significant losses.
According to Coach Ivey: a few weeks for both.
Be forewarned: She said that about Citron just after the initial accident (Northwestern game), but that was two weeks ago. Most Benchers are assuming/hoping to see both of them at the start of the ACC schedule. (knock on wood).

The Irish only have two games between now and Dec. 17th so there's some time for rest and recuperation. Gosh knows they need it.

Reaction Score
My heart goes out to Coach Harper. She is a solid coach. I am not sure what is going on with the Lady Vols.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
LVs drop to 4-4 after being pasted by OSU. That could drop them out of the rankings. But they have 4 cupcakes coming up and should get to 8-4.

Reaction Score
My heart goes out to Coach Harper. She is a solid coach. I am not sure what is going on with the Lady Vols.
What makes her “solid”? If you watched both the duke and the Vols game, you see that the Vols missed out by not offering the farm to hire Lawson. Lawson is building, can’t say the same about Harper.
What’s going on is that other than Jackson, the team lacks talent. That is due to horrible recruiting. Compare Lawsons recruits to the recruits of Harper. I think Lawson knows how to close the deal.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What makes her “solid”? If you watched both the duke and the Vols game, you see that the Vols missed out by not offering the farm to hire Lawson. Lawson is building, can’t say the same about Harper.
What’s going on is that other than Jackson, the team lacks talent. That is due to horrible recruiting. Compare Lawsons recruits to the recruits of Harper. I think Lawson knows how to close the deal.
Exactly. The chants of "fahr Harper" are loud and clear on the Tennessee board. They were so eager to get rid of Warlick that they completely overlooked the tremendous recruiting she did, starting with convincing Russell to come to Tenn before her freshman year but right after Pat retired.

Holly always had a stable full of top 10 and top 20 recruits. But she ran the same offense as Pat - dribble the ball around, chuck up a shot, most of the time it won't go in, so crash the boards. But at least Holly could recruit.

Now you have Kelly running the same offense, but with no athletic players in the post, and they don't have the athletes (or discipline) to play really good man to man defense for any length of time.

Side note I don't really know why Tennessee fans have their knickers in a twist - they have lost to all teams they "should" have (ND, Indiana, Florida State, and Ohio State), and they have a nice win over Oklahoma. Tennessee is right on the cusp of top 25, and their record bears that out.

Reaction Score
LVs drop to 4-4 after being pasted by OSU. That could drop them out of the rankings. But they have 4 cupcakes coming up and should get to 8-4.
Reality check. Will UCONN keep their rankings in the top 25?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Exactly. The chants of "fahr Harper" are loud and clear on the Tennessee board. They were so eager to get rid of Warlick that they completely overlooked the tremendous recruiting she did, starting with convincing Russell to come to Tenn before her freshman year but right after Pat retired.

Holly always had a stable full of top 10 and top 20 recruits. But she ran the same offense as Pat - dribble the ball around, chuck up a shot, most of the time it won't go in, so crash the boards. But at least Holly could recruit.

Now you have Kelly running the same offense, but with no athletic players in the post, and they don't have the athletes (or discipline) to play really good man to man defense for any length of time.

Side note I don't really know why Tennessee fans have their knickers in a twist - they have lost to all teams they "should" have (ND, Indiana, Florida State, and Ohio State), and they have a nice win over Oklahoma. Tennessee is right on the cusp of top 25, and their record bears that out.
Really, where then is UCONN right now? If Tenn on the cusp, where is UCONN right now? Because in my eyes Tenn is way far from the cusp of top 25.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom