Tennessee Lady Vols | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Tennessee Lady Vols

Reaction Score
I am perplexed by Jewel. I did not think she played all that well this summer with Team USA, but with Rickea being out I thought she would take over as the leading scorer. What do y'all think is the issue?

Reaction Score
I am perplexed by Jewel. I did not think she played all that well this summer with Team USA, but with Rickea being out I thought she would take over as the leading scorer. What do y'all think is the issue?
Idk if TN truly knows how to use her. They have refused to use other key players properly this year such as Hollingshead.. also Key only having 2 points is something else

Reaction Score
If I’m the AD at Tennessee, I’d be inclined to stop the bleeding now. I think I’d fire both the Harper’s and make one of the assistants interim coach for the rest of the year. Another choice would be to fire them both and see if Matthew Mitchell would want to take over for the remainder of this year. There’s been rumors that he wants to get back into basketball and it would be a great way for him to wade into the waters. I’d spend the rest of the year looking for a top assistant in a program and make them my permanent head coach. I think it’s better to do that than to keep taking chances on mid major type coaches who have not proven that they can do it. Tennessee doesn’t seem to want to spend the money on a proven top coach.

Reaction Score
Wow. No words. After watching the replay of the game. There is talent on the Lady Vols roster. Just a different type of talent. Coach Harper is definitely on the hot seat. I am a huge fan of Coach Harper but like a lot of folks have pointed out to me, things are not working out. Recruiting is not working out. I mean this is the Lady Vols. They still have some clout. They just need to find a coach that can recruit.

Reaction Score
If I’m the AD at Tennessee, I’d be inclined to stop the bleeding now. I think I’d fire both the Harper’s and make one of the assistants interim coach for the rest of the year. Another choice would be to fire them both and see if Matthew Mitchell would want to take over for the remainder of this year. There’s been rumors that he wants to get back into basketball and it would be a great way for him to wade into the waters. I’d spend the rest of the year looking for a top assistant in a program and make them my permanent head coach. I think it’s better to do that than to keep taking chances on mid major type coaches who have not proven that they can do it. Tennessee doesn’t seem to want to spend the money on a proven top coach.
A phone call won't hurt. Who knows. But this is not working out with Coach Harper. She is a solid coach but sometimes, things just don't workout. It happens. You give it a chance and see what happens and looks like things are not clicking.

Reaction Score
I actually think Harper has done pretty well given the hand she has had.

Injuries have bitten the LVs the last few years. But yes recruiting has been a big problem.
They should hire Holly back as an assistant. :)

Reaction Score
Throwing over a decorated alum mid-season when the best player by far has been out with injury? All to get an unremarkable Matthew Mitchell?

Reaction Score
Throwing over a decorated alum mid-season when the best player by far has been out with injury? All to get an unremarkable Matthew Mitchell?
If it wasn’t clear, I suggested Mitchell as an interim coach for the remainder of the year. I then said they should spend the time looking for a top assistant from another program to hire. My best guess is that they will finish out her contract and then not renew it unless there is a major turn around.

The Vols issues go much deeper than just the injury to RJ. Recruiting has been pretty abysmal for the past couple of years and it doesn’t seem like there’s been much player development either. KJH seems lost when making in-game adjustments. She was moderately successful at both Western Carolina and Missouri State but her stint with the Wolfpack was abysmal. She hasn’t exactly set the world on fire at Tennessee.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think Kellie is a significantly better coach than Holly, though she is still far from being a top rate coach. Tennessee was beyond awful in all areas aside from getting talent under Holly. Players didn't develop, teams often had chemistry issues, players looked confused on the court and we'd see significant periods of poor effort and focus. Any talk of Holly being a better overall coach is laughable. Yes, the loss last night was bad and they should've performed better, but Tennessee regularly lost games like this under Holly. Also keep in mind, Tennessee is currently without their best player, their other All-SEC standout is still coming back from injury, and they're incorporating a lot of new players into their system. They also started out rough last year and turned it around to finish the year strong.

Ultimately, the reason why Tennessee isn't a powerhouse again is the Tennessee AD was cheap when they went to replace Warlick. They could've paid for a better coach but weren't willing to shell out. Harper had proven results at multiple programs but her results were good, never great, throughout her coaching career. Her teams have never played pretty basketball or established themselves as elite. That said, I don't think she's done an atrocious job by any means. She develops her players and has endured a barrage of brutal injuries, losing an All-SEC player each season, yet has done well by most standards (top 3 in the SEC each year, 2 Sweet 16s in three years). Her recruiting is of concern, though she's landing really solid kids from the portal to counter act that. The problem is that fans aren't happy with being a borderline Sweet 16 squad most years, they want the program to be a power house again and Kellie isn't the person to get them to the next level.

Going back to 2020, when the debate was between her and Lawson, I would've rolled the dice with Lawson based on overall pedigree and just listening to her talk and dissect games. She's brilliant and has the aura that she'll be successful in any area she applies herself. Kellie had a lot of coaching experience though, Kara did not. That was likely the difference when comparing the 2. After Kara didn't get hired she publicly criticized Tennessee's AD for their lack of diversity. Based on that, I don't think she has a desire to coach at Tennessee even with the AD switch. She's building a great thing in Durham, is landing top kids each year and has Duke primed to compete for the ACC for years to come.

If Tennessee parts ways with Harper, I'm not sure who they'll be able to land at a similar price point. If they're will to throw serious money at a stronger candidate, then by all means I'm all for it. But I think Tennessee inevitably runs into the same problems if they make another cheaper hire.

Reaction Score
I think Kellie is a significantly better coach than Holly, though she is still far from being a top rate coach. Tennessee was beyond awful in all areas aside from getting talent under Holly. Players didn't develop, teams often had chemistry issues, players looked confused on the court and we'd see significant periods of poor effort and focus. Any talk of Holly being a better overall coach is laughable. Yes, the loss last night was bad and they should've performed better, but Tennessee regularly lost games like this under Holly. Also keep in mind, Tennessee is currently without their best player, their other All-SEC standout is still coming back from injury, and they're incorporating a lot of new players into their system. They also started out rough last year and turned it around to finish the year strong.

Ultimately, the reason why Tennessee isn't a powerhouse again is the Tennessee AD was cheap when they went to replace Warlick. They could've paid for a better coach but weren't willing to shell out. Harper had proven results at multiple programs but her results were good, never great, throughout her coaching career. Her teams have never played pretty basketball or established themselves as elite. That said, I don't think she's done an atrocious job by any means. She develops her players and has endured a barrage of brutal injuries, losing an All-SEC player each season, yet has done well by most standards (top 3 in the SEC each year, 2 Sweet 16s in three years). Her recruiting is of concern, though she's landing really solid kids from the portal to counter act that. The problem is that fans aren't happy with being a borderline Sweet 16 squad most years, they want the program to be a power house again and Kellie isn't the person to get them to the next level.

Going back to 2020, when the debate was between her and Lawson, I would've rolled the dice with Lawson based on overall pedigree and just listening to her talk and dissect games. She's brilliant and has the aura that she'll be successful in any area she applies herself. Kellie had a lot of coaching experience though, Kara did not. That was likely the difference when comparing the 2. After Kara didn't get hired she publicly criticized Tennessee's AD for their lack of diversity. Based on that, I don't think she has a desire to coach at Tennessee even with the AD switch. She's building a great thing in Durham, is landing top kids each year and has Duke primed to compete for the ACC for years to come.

If Tennessee parts ways with Harper, I'm not sure who they'll be able to land at a similar price point. If they're will to throw serious money at a stronger candidate, then by all means I'm all for it. But I think Tennessee inevitably runs into the same problems if they make another cheaper hire.

I’m pretty sure Lawson would’ve never went there. I read on the Vol board, there are-were issues in regards to the LBGQ community. I don’t know exactly what it has to with though

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In choosing Holly's successor, it seemed as if the AD had 2 criteria: (1) Bring in someone with ties to Pat/Tenn/the past and (2) Don't spend too much money. Unfortunately for them, those conflicted with the goal of getting the best coach available. Tenn is a decent/pretty good team when healthy, but they have not been an elite team for a long time. Their last Final Four was in 2008, with Candace Parker et al. Since then, UConn made 13 straight Final Fours and won 6 championships.

Reaction Score
In choosing Holly's successor, it seemed as if the AD had 2 criteria: (1) Bring in someone with ties to Pat/Tenn/the past and (2) Don't spend too much money. Unfortunately for them, those conflicted with the goal of getting the best coach available. Tenn is a decent/pretty good team when healthy, but they have not been an elite team for a long time. Their last Final Four was in 2008, with Candace Parker et al. Since then, UConn made 13 straight Final Fours and won 6 championships.

Of all the "keep it in the family" hires that have been made in sports, and there are lots, how many have really succeeded?

The programs that win under multiple coaches generally aren't stuck on all that business.

Shouldn't reach for an alum. If it's Roy Williams then sure. Do that.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Of all the "keep it in the family" hires that have been made in sports, and there are lots, how many have really succeeded?

The programs that win under multiple coaches generally aren't stuck on all that business.

Shouldn't reach for an alum. If it's Roy Williams then sure. Do that.

Chapel Hill has (on the men's side).. with one hiccup.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Sure, but Carolina got the wrong guy twice before they finally got it right w/ Ol' Roy.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I guess Dean Smith technically qualifies as a promoted assistant.

We will see how it goes with Hubert but looking all right.

Guthridge depends on how you look at it, I guess.

Yeah, Smith was the beginning. Guthridge went to two final fours in 3 years... one was a suprise, one was expected. Matt Doherty was a hiccup (though I thoroughly enjoyed his tenure)

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Guthridge inherited a loaded team, wasn't there long but clearly would've led them downhill fast if he would've stayed longer. But the next guy finished the job for him. Gut and Doh, what a combo!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Guthridge inherited a loaded team, wasn't there long but clearly would've led them downhill fast if he would've stayed longer. But the next guy finished the job for him. Gut and Doh, what a combo!

Yeah, that's what a few legendary coaches do. Retire late in the off-season, pretty much forces the AD to hire the top assistant. Can't recall when Summit stepped down, but Dean Smith retired in October I think.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Yeah, Smith was the beginning. Guthridge went to two final fours in 3 years... one was a suprise, one was expected. Matt Doherty was a hiccup (though I thoroughly enjoyed his tenure)
I thought Matt Doherty was a fine coach for those blue bellies in Chapel Hill. Too bad they didn't stick with him longer. The 8-20 season was a dandy!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yeah, that's what a few legendary coaches do. Retire late in the off-season, pretty much forces the AD to hire the top assistant. Can't recall when Summit stepped down, but Dean Smith retired in October I think.
Oh man, I don't know about the timing but I'm suddenly reminded of Ralph Miller stepping down at Oregon St. Job went to his top assistant, Jim Anderson. Wasn't the guy. 30+ years and I don't even know how many coaches later, still can't find the right guy.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure it was known that ‘12 would be Pat’s final season. I recall she held a presser where she announced it and that Warlick would be her successor. I remember when South Carolina played a late season game in Knoxville, Steve Spurrier payed respects to his friend and flew up with the team to take in the game.

EDIT: Looked it up, Pat retired April 18, 2012.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom