Tenn v UConn | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Tenn v UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Are you nuts??? The UCONN Players would have worked very hard to get to the NCAA Tournament and contend for another National Championship and you want them to give that up and forfeit the game to Tennessee if they should meet. Crushing Tennessee in the tournament would be worth more then any apology.
Ok, ok, I see your point. For the sake of the players, the game should be played. But, continuing the precedent established by Notre Dame's breathing comment, the team should wear warm ups with an appropriate aphorism such as:

"Pat Summitt, the lyingest coach in women's basketball".

That was just off the top of my head, perhaps someone can come up with a pithier/better phrase.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Perhaps this will provide a teachable moment, perhaps not. Ironically, both sides are using a common ground for their opposing views, denial of the timing and impact of Alzheimer's.

Despite living with and caring for my Mom with Alzheimer's for five years, I still missed the first signs with Cindy. The doctors assisted with this in denying she could have Alzheimer's at such a young age, yet even before the stage of seeing doctors there were signs that the advantage of hindsight uncovers. Now I can see that she had unmistakable symptoms six years before the official diagnosis. The stress events and real first symptoms likely occurred eight years prior.

I appreciate the opportunity Summitt provided us and her willingness to continue playing us when we were beating the top dog on a regular basis. On the other hand, ruthless behavior on her part would not be a surprise to me, she's not the angel her fans believe. Yet she never struck me as irrational, quite the opposite. Some of what transpired seemed too irrational to me. As for the innuendo "Geno knows," that is absolutely, wholly, totally consistent for someone with cognitive dysfunction who feels something they are incapable of explaining. I can't count how many times I've witnessed a deflection precisely like "Geno knows."

Is it plausible that UConngate (sorry, Kibitzer) was conjured up by a wholly ruthless and rational mind? Sure. Plus the common ground of assuming Summit to be rational enables fans on both sides to justify their contrary hatreds. Assuming the equally plausible condition that she may have been irrational due to cognitive dysfunction deprives the Tennessee fan of "just cause" for fueling their existing distaste for UConn, and the UConn fan of "just cause" for fueling our resentment of what transpired. Yet I encourage fans on both sides to at least consider cognitive dysfunction a possibility because it may make a difference in your own personal lives.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Perhaps this will provide a teachable moment, perhaps not. Ironically, both sides are using a common ground for their opposing views, denial of the timing and impact of Alzheimer's.

Despite living with and caring for my Mom with Alzheimer's for five years, I still missed the first signs with Cindy. The doctors assisted with this in denying she could have Alzheimer's at such a young age, yet even before the stage of seeing doctors there were signs that the advantage of hindsight uncovers. Now I can see that she had unmistakable symptoms six years before the official diagnosis. The stress events and real first symptoms likely occurred eight years prior.

I appreciate the opportunity Summitt provided us and her willingness to continue playing us when we were beating the top dog on a regular basis. On the other hand, ruthless behavior on her part would not be a surprise to me, she's not the angel her fans believe. Yet she never struck me as irrational, quite the opposite. Some of what transpired seemed too irrational to me. As for the innuendo "Geno knows," that is absolutely, wholly, totally consistent for someone with cognitive dysfunction who feels something they are incapable of explaining. I can't count how many times I've witnessed a deflection precisely like "Geno knows."

Is it plausible that UConngate (sorry, Kibitzer) was conjured up by a wholly ruthless and rational mind? Sure. Plus the common ground of assuming Summit to be rational enables fans on both sides to justify their contrary hatreds. Assuming the equally plausible condition that she may have been irrational due to cognitive dysfunction deprives the Tennessee fan of "just cause" for fueling their existing distaste for UConn, and the UConn fan of "just cause" for fueling our resentment of what transpired. Yet I encourage fans on both sides to at least consider cognitive dysfunction a possibility because it may make a difference in your own personal lives.

Digger, I agree but there is also a more teachable moment-one about a cautionary tale of absolute power corrupting and such. Someone, specifically the AD at the University of Tennessee or the head of the SEC should have looked at the totality of the complaint in the capacity of being Pat Summitt’s boss. Only her boss would have been in a position to say Pat “What are your specific allegations against UCONN? It not enough for you Pat to say “they know what they did” I as your boss need to know more specifics so that I can decide how best to support you. Or, some of these allegations don’t make sense/add up can you explain/justify them for me-your boss.
A few years before the Sandusky mess broke at PSU I foolishly and loudly applauded JoePa actions based on an article I read in the Philadelphia paper. The PSU AD and a few senior PSU officials went to JoePa house with the intent of talking JoePa into not retiring but setting a time table for retirement. JoePa threw the AD-His boss allegedly- out of his house and told him “when I’m ready to retire I’ll let you know”’ Please people, I’m not comparing PSU’ situation to the Tenn. UCONN allegations but what is similar is you had the tail wagging the dog, absolute power corrupting, the concept of JoePa having a “boss” at PSU was probably as foreign as the concept of Pat Summitt having a “boss” at Tenn.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My post didn't say a thing about blame. The theme of my post was that given where we are today, years later, the game should be played. It would be good for WCBB.
Umm yea it did. And it made me sick.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Was it Collegefansonly or this board where in the last month there was there was an expose of Summit's player poaching exploits? It was an eye opener. Apparently Pat had quite a wealth of information on unethical or inappropriate recruiting/player interference in her own background to draw on when she started to have dark thoughts about Geno.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If it did come out that Pat lied and did all of this just to smear UConn, yes, my opinion of her would change. However, at the time the series was cancelled, Tennessee had beaten UConn three years in a row, and was the defending National Champions. If Pat was scared of competition, she would have cancelled the series in the early 2000s when we lost nine of 11 games to UConn.
Good point about Tenn. having the upper hand prior to the series been cancelled-I also agree that Pat was not scared of competition from anyone. But this makes Pat's decision to cancel more puzzling not lees. Pat agrees to the series for the good of the game, the series ebbs and flows, setting record ratings in the process, Tenn. regains the upper hand, and Tenn. is so offended by something UCONN did to cancel the series, but not offended enough to state publically the offense. If something offended me that badly you couldn't get me to shut up about. I would be naming names, dates, cousins, friends, acquaintances, neighbors, pets, confessions, ex-boyfriends, siblings, , twitter handles-wait was such a thing around at that time? ,grade school teachers………

JS

Reaction Score
Apparently Pat had quite a wealth of information on unethical or inappropriate recruiting/player interference in her own background to draw on when she started to have dark thoughts about Geno.
You can toss in recruiting communications (personalized; not the allowable general stuff) and even a recruiting visit to a high school underclassman.

"Oh, you're only a sophomore? My mistake, I thought you were a junior. Oh well, now that I'm here, let's talk about the Lady Vols."

Maybe inadvertent as claimed (benefit of the doubt -- although a very well known player; eventual multi-year starter at UConn; supreme negligence on somebody's part not to know her class).

But even if inadvertent still a self-reportable violation, maybe secondary, maybe not. Hunting out of season, recruiting-wise, is no small matter.

But it wasn't self-reported -- by an organization that ("see how honest we are") self-reported a free extra dish of ice cream to Michelle Snow. Funny thing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Please. The Connecticut press is all over UConn, so much so that it was dubbed The Horde years ago. Every utterance, every slight, every misstep is covered in gory detail. Opinion columns are numererous and there's zero fear of offending the State U. Most, if not all, of the negative press about either of the high profile basketball teams has originated in the CT press.

There is zero percent chance that the CT press would let Geno off the hook for a recruiting scandal. Witness the absolute furor surrounding Jim calhoun and the recruitment of a kid that never even played a single game for UConn. The press pretty much lived in Calhoun's pocket for months after it was found Calhoun made too many phone calls. No way, no how Geno cheating would go unreported.
Anyone else enjoying this feisty version of Nan? She's usually deferentially to a fault.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I'm afraid you failed to get the humor.

Ahem.

DOH! bth_surrender.jpg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I have no beef with the average LV fan. My contempt is for the Tin Foil Hat Brigade.

I've gotten all kinds of nasty PMs from them, one condemning me to eternal damnation because of my defense of UConn. Crazy people.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score

100 likes. One is not enough.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Anyone else enjoying this feisty version of Nan? She's usually deferentially to a fault.

Just because Nan is generally polite and rational to a fault, do NOT mistake her for Little Goody Two Shoes! She has been known to bite.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have no beef with the average LV fan. My contempt is for the Tin Foil Hat Brigade.

I've gotten all kinds of nasty PMs from them, one condemning me to eternal damnation because of my defense of UConn. Crazy people.
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Oh Tin Foil Hat Brigade, I thought you said Tin Foil Cat Brigade....nevermind.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You can toss in recruiting communications (personalized; not the allowable general stuff) and even a recruiting visit to a high school underclassman.

"Oh, you're only a sophomore? My mistake, I thought you were a junior. Oh well, now that I'm here, let's talk about the Lady Vols."

Maybe inadvertent as claimed (benefit of the doubt -- although a very well known player; eventual multi-year starter at UConn; supreme negligence on somebody's part not to know her class). But even if inadvertent still a self-reportable violation, probably secondary.
Well I believe UCONN messed up Nurse's year, actually thought she was a year younger, hence why they were late to the party. Still got the door prize though. :cool:

But it wasn't self-reported -- by an organization that ("see how honest we are") self-reported a free extra dish of ice cream to Michelle Snow. Funny thing.
I thought it was an extra piece of cake?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ah, they just want you to join them. That's so sweet, I think they kinda like you. :cool:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
So BYers are still pushing the idea that the coach who was well into dementia and launching the ridiculous paranoid attack in 2006 on UConn, Geno and Maya and her mother was also the coach so completely in control of all the marbles that she won NCs 1 year and 2 years later. Just classic, and of course those of us who have indeed cared for mothers with Alzheimer's are all such experts on Pat's and all everyone else's mind.

But beyond all the detritus that will remain floating in the wake because UTenn will never admit it really is detritus that smells bad and that it is something they spewed, the question for nowadays is who really thinks a UConn and UTenn game would be a good thing for maybe anything except ESPN's coffers and publicity machine? Even the mention of the game stirs up huge deposits of ill will and bad memories, but can you imagine what the media would come up with about the whole story if the regular season game was agreed to? The vile bile would be magnified a thousand times even if one of those aforementioned "private apologies" was given and accepted. Why should players on either team be put through that freak circus?

Despite what ESPN's accountants think, no one but them really needs this game, and flat-out it should never happen.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So BYers are still pushing the idea that the coach who was well into dementia and launching the ridiculous paranoid attack in 2006 on UConn, Geno and Maya and her mother was also the coach so completely in control of all the marbles that she won NCs 1 year and 2 years later.
Yes many BYers (me & Digger included) are of the belief that Pat's symptoms from dementia may have arrived as early as 2006. The fact that she coached championships teams in 2007 & 2008 does not disprove this belief. Those championships may have more to do with having one of the best players ever to wear a WCBB uniform in CP. We respect that you believe differently and further acknowledge that experiences of caring for a parent (yours included) with Alzheimer’s is both painful and unique for each individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom