Tenn v UConn | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Tenn v UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A bunch of people who live in their basement, living vicariously through the women's basketball team
Guilty as charged. In my basement is a man cave and a fully stocked wet bar. I am seeking therapy, but surely you can see how these darn UCONN WCBB teams can be so addicting.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What's this notion that Tenn "needs" this game? Im sorry I just can't get jiggie with the idea that we NEED it.....if anything we NEED to get to the FF or NC game so it can actually happen.
Sort of circular, semantic, word gymnastic there don’t you think? Tenn. doesn’t need UCONN but, Tenn. needs to get to a place (FF or NC game) where you anticipate UCONN will already be?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
So BYers are still pushing the idea that the coach who was well into dementia and launching the ridiculous paranoid attack in 2006 on UConn, Geno and Maya and her mother was also the coach so completely in control of all the marbles that she won NCs 1 year and 2 years later. Just classic, and of course those of us who have indeed cared for mothers with Alzheimer's are all such experts on Pat's and all everyone else's mind.

But beyond all the detritus that will remain floating in the wake because UTenn will never admit it really is detritus that smells bad and that it is something they spewed, the question for nowadays is who really thinks a UConn and UTenn game would be a good thing for maybe anything except ESPN's coffers and publicity machine? Even the mention of the game stirs up huge deposits of ill will and bad memories, but can you imagine what the media would come up with about the whole story if the regular season game was agreed to? The vile bile would be magnified a thousand times even if one of those aforementioned "private apologies" was given and accepted. Why should players on either team be put through that freak circus?

Despite what ESPN's accountants think, no one but them really needs this game, and flat-out it should never happen.

Reaction Score
Sort of circular, semantic, word gymnastic there don’t you think? Tenn. doesn’t need UCONN but, Tenn. needs to get to a place (FF or NC game) where you anticipate UCONN will already be?
Hmmmmmmm.... I think this thread was referring to a "regular season game"....so I was commenting on that aspect. But yes if UTenn makes it to the FF or NC game, I do expect UCONN to be there.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hmmmmmmm.... I think this thread was referring to a "regular season game"....so I was commenting on that aspect. But yes if UTenn makes it to the FF or NC game, I do expect UCONN to be there.

Fair enough, not the first time I’ve been confused by one of your post. Remember this one?
Crystal (Dangerfield) is a Tenn girl through and through...mark my words!!!![/QUOTE]

JS

Reaction Score
Would like to compliment our half dozen or so vol fan regulars.

Mostly they're ordinary citizens with a different point of view and insight. But it must be difficult to decide what if anything to say when these periodic storms of ill will sweep the board.

Tornado_sheltering.jpg
'

For many here, it's time to move on.

For many others, and they're the more vociferous contingent, the distaste for what happened, and is still happening in some quarters, runs surprisingly deep and can easily be triggered by news events touching on the unresolved -- because neither retracted nor substantiated -- accusations of cheating.

Good job riding it out.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
It is exceedingly difficult to give up a faith in which you have been raised, including Pat worship.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I rather agree, because I don't see what exactly would be the subject of the apology.

1. The only public accusation was that UConn arranged or assisted in scheduling a tour by Maya of the nearby ESPN facility, because she was interested in sports journalism. A nothing violation, arguably not a violation at all, but UConn accepted a secondary violation for it rather than argue. Secondary violations are no big deal, and it's often pointed out here that TN has more of them than UConn does. There was some confusion in the news accounts at the time whether the ESPN thing was reported by Tennessee or self-reported by UConn, but regardless, UConn accepted that it was a violation, so what's to apologize for?

2. Everything else coming out of official TN about Maya was vague. Ms Cronin just acknowledged that TN's problem was "in part" about Maya Moore. Pat Summitt dropped some innuendo about UConn to the media in response to a question about Bruce Pearl, but the innuendo didn't even mention Maya by name.

3. As far as the innuendo, it was wrong and it's still being carried out by certain of PHS's minions and acolytes. But they aren't official, and as far as PHS herself, well, that was what it was.

4. As far as all the "other" stuff TN filed with the NCAA, it went through proper channels and it failed. I don't see an apology as necessary for taking something to the proper forum for adjudication, even if the motivation and/or the substance are questionable. Yes, it was aggravating to a lot of people, including some who post here, but it at least had a rationale. TN played a weak hand and lost. No apology necessary, IMO, for playing it.

5. The really disgusting, apology-warranting stuff about Maya and her mom has come, persistently for years, out of a group of dedicated ignoramuses on the TN message boards, especially the Summitt. But that's not an official source. It's barely even a human source. The university doesn't control those boards, so how can it apologize for what's said there?

Doesn't mean thoughtful folks can't come up with some kind of peacemaking proposal, joint statement, whatever. Diplomats paper over far more intransigent problems.

Personally, I'm fine with just playing in the tournament, if it breaks that way, and don't care whether it does or doesn't. I don't like what TN did, don't respect it, and certainly loath the message board feculence. But grounds for an official TN apology haven't been identified.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Thanks JS. This is the best "Reader's Digest" version of the UConn (Maya Moore) / TN feud that I've read. A well written comment that makes a lot of sense.

Reaction Score
Fair enough, not the first time I’ve been confused by one of your post. Remember this one?

Welllllll considering she is originally from Tenn...she'll always be a Tenn girl through and through in my eyes lol but o my excuse me for thinking a Tenn girl would go to UT.....out of all my post that you decided to ramble through to prove your point :rolleyes:, I'm glad that's the only one you found! :cool:

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Personally I'm in favor of it, but some folks are anti-percipient.

I can understand both sides....but I still always wear my anti perspirant.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The NY Times (on the web) had a lovely, well-written article regarding a brilliant woman's desire to off herself in advance of the ultimate deline in mental acumen due to diagnosed case of Alzheimer's.
One sentence especially resonated:

Researchers say that by the time someone exhibits mild cognitive impairment, the brain has been degenerating for years, and the drugs, even if they can slow the decline, are too little too late.

I understand that the "never again" group has pre-digested that argument and has shifted some of the blame to the fan, base, the admin and the SEC. it's not just poor demented Pat's fault; it's their collective fault. (that we're not playing a game that the rest of the nation desires).

The fan base: If anyone pays any mind to them, they are serially distraught.

The Admin: Can anyone name a soul at the University of Tennessee that has ever read a 37 page (or is it 370 page?) document? :)
Let's get real here.
My buddy sells the scales that papers and disertations are weighed on prior to the granting of degrees.

The SEC, now that's a truly superlative deliberative body. Can anyone recall a positive example of due dilligence eminating from that group of clowns?

Blaming any or all of the above is akin to "my dog ate my homework."

Let's see…anyone I haven't insulted tonight? …I actually took out an extraordinarily nasty crack laid at the feet of people who entertain the other view. Even too vitriolic for me.

Well, now you can see what a few too many glasses of wine does to my usually placid and rational expression.

Play Ball!

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Let's see…anyone I haven't insulted tonight?
I don't feel insulted by your post at all it was rather entertaining. I would never feel insulted by someone who holds to an opposite point of view. You conclude by saying Play Ball-I'm assuming you mean restart the regular season series between Utenn. and UCONN women. I say why bother. Your slam at the University of Tennessee administrations for having never read a 37 page document was especially clever as was the crack about weighing the dissertations prior to the granting of degrees- classic stuff.
If it was truly a few glasses of wine that inspired your writing I would suggest a whole bottle. Keep it coming!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
When will people stop using "alleged" UConn violations and start saying "supposed" or even "made up"? The whole complaint was a wet dream of the Tin Foil Hat Brigade.

I have to admit that made me giggle.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
However, at the time the series was cancelled, Tennessee had beaten UConn three years in a row, and was the defending National Champions. If Pat was scared of competition, she would have cancelled the series in the early 2000s when we lost nine of 11 games to UConn.

You've got this backwards. It wasn't that Summitt was scared of competition, it was that she was resentful that UConn had surpassed her program. She would have cancelled the series if she could, but there was no way that was going to happen back then. The games were too popular. It wasn't until she won her last championship that she had the clout. And she used all that clout to smear UConn and drop the game. No one else wanted that to happen, not the UT athletic department or anyone else. And Geno nailed it the time when he was asked why PHS cancelled the game, "Because she hates me!" That was taken as a Geno quip, but that is the actual reason. And some call that women classy?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think that this is case of "wanting" being greater than "having." Pat's gone, Holly hasn't proven that she can win, or even get to, the NC. In the end this would be just another UConn butt-kicking. Think of the disappointment after the "battle of the unbeaten" championship and multiply it x10.

UConn/UTenn of the 90s was great for WBB. UConn/UTenn today not so much. UConn stands ready to play Tennessee whenever Tennessee can last long enough in March/April. They've got earn it. That Tennessee can't is a marker of where that program is today. Now, if they want a 'charity' game Geno will accommodate them, but there are just a few things they've got to address first. It's all on Tennessee, at this point.

Reaction Score
Whether or not the game would be competitive is irrelevant to its attractiveness. Tenn is at the level of a Duke or a S Carolina as far as talent. And without question these are the two biggest and most passionate wcbb fan bases in the country. This is Yankees-Red Sox. The fact that Pat is gone removes the drama of two coaches who dislike each other and the teams themselves have little animosity but it's the fans that make it compelling. The game would no longer be between the two best teams in the country but as theater there isn't anything close.

Blue and orange clash.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Blue and orange clash.
UCONN Blue and Tennessee orange clashes. There are some schools than manage to pull off both colors harmoniously Florida, Bucknell, Illinois....

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't feel insulted by your post at all it was rather entertaining. I would never feel insulted by someone who holds to an opposite point of view. You conclude by saying Play Ball-I'm assuming you mean restart the regular season series between Utenn. and UCONN women. I say why bother. Your slam at the University of Tennessee administrations for having never read a 37 page document was especially clever as was the crack about weighing the dissertations prior to the granting of degrees- classic stuff.
If it was truly a few glasses of wine that inspired your writing I would suggest a whole bottle. Keep it coming!

Uh, Coco... a few glasses is a whole bottle. I think he was into the 2nd bottle in the post, but it did flow, so ...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
UCONN Blue and Tennessee orange clashes. There are some schools than manage to pull off both colors harmoniously Florida, Bucknell, Illinois....

Other than Pantone 287 and Black :), Orange/Blue is the best color combo in college sports. You can add Syracuse and Auburn to the O/B list. TN orange is a hideous orange though........ nothing really goes well with that

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

Not sure about Florida, but then I hate Florida so what can I say?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Other than Pantone 287 and Black :), Orange/Blue is the best color combo in college sports. You can add Syracuse and Auburn to the O/B list. TN orange is a hideous orange though... nothing really goes well with that

Auburn brings it off well. I hate them, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom