Tenn down 43-35 to Chatt in 2nd half (merged) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tenn down 43-35 to Chatt in 2nd half (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Speaking of Tony, I'm driving home from the Hartford game (which Hartford won, if anyone cares) when the result went final. I called him, he didn't even say hello, he didn't even say what's up, he just said "I just saw it on gametracker". I may have been calling him to tell him the good news about Hartford, or wish him well at the wedding tomorrow, but he just assumes I'm calling about TN. Of course, he was right, so I gotta give him that.
That's probably because I had just spoken to him and told him to log on to see the end of the game lol!! :)

Reaction Score
Nyahh. If I'm Holly, I'm calling every recruit and saying "Remember when I said we needed you? I was serious."
I wonder if any of them chose TN because they wanted to play for Holly?

Reaction Score
I can see why Holly wanted to postpone the Baylor game until next year. It is not good for women's basketball to have one of the most well know names falling to such lows. Love or hate UT, they attracted people to the sport.

EAST: ummmmm.....which person would that have been?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I haven't seen much written on the game so far, other than the ESPN article, but a note worth mentioning is that one of the starters for Chattanooga is Faith Dupree, who started her career as an LV.

Reaction Score
80-71 final. And I reiterate that it never was within 5 for the final 13 mins.

1st game for a new coach with a young team so I wouldn't read TOO much into it, but it does highlight why I - and many others - thought the Vols would struggle this year.

All the expected signs:
- Simmons took 40% of the team's shots, and made only 40% of those.
- Graves was very good but that's all they seem to have
- Burdick, who some have said is the best player on the team, continued to do very little (4 pts, 7 reb).
- Vols had 25 turnovers and it's defense caused just 13 for Chatt

Read TOO much into it? Hmmmmm. Ollie seems to have done alright against a #14 team with a of young guys in his 1st game.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Oh, and Kamiko Williams -- whom some fans actually think should start -- had 0 pts, 0 assists, and 2 turnovers.
Tennessee fans are totally delusional. On paper, this team has 4 kids who were top 10 in their class (yeah, I think Blue Star had Simmons at #4). They have 3 others who were top 20. Their fans were ecstatic at putting up an average of 111 in their preseason wins over Carson Newman and Coker. And they were psyched someone picked them to make it to the final 4 (total dope) while another publication picked them to finish the season at #7.

I mean this is a Chattanooga team who didn't win the Southern Conference the past 2 years - Samford did. I can't even find Chattanooga's record from last year, but honestly, it would be like Stanford losing to Fresno State (Stanford beat them by only 11 tonight)...

I can't believe I'm going to say this but Tony was right - who is the Tennessee PG? They had 6 assists on 24 baskets. Simmons was their leading scorer but she took 25 shots to get 23 points and shot 36%. I'm not sure they win 20 games this year.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
In an attempt to get some post-game intelligence from the followers of UTenn, I came across some strange quotes, reputedly from Holly's post-game press conference as quoted in GO VOLS XTRA (out of context, I hope)
If the quote reasonably expresses her viewpoint, I can't see that she is likely to long retain her position. emphasis mine

"I think the whole night our defense was non-existent," Warlick said. "Outside of Andraya Carter putting pressure
on the ball, we didn't affect them one bit. We were at the mercy of them missing shots.
"We're not going to outscore anybody. We're not going to outshoot them. We have to get turnovers."

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Simmons presents a challenge to Holly. She is certainly a spirited and talented player but also an undisciplined one. Tennessee took 63 shots and Simmons took 25 of them; she was 1-8 on treys. Such imbalance will not stimulate her teammates.

And as Louisiville beat Texas A&M, former UConn recruit Sara Hammond led the way with 20 points.

Reaction Score
I mean this is a Chattanooga team who didn't win the Southern Conference the past 2 years - Samford did. I can't even find Chattanooga's record from last year, but honestly, it would be like Stanford losing to Fresno State (Stanford beat them by only 11 tonight)...

Last season, the LV's defeats the Lady Mocs 90-47 in Knutsville. Looks like all the hard work in the off-season had an adverse affect on the LV's'.

Last year, LV's fans complained about the seniors failing to take a "leadership" role.. The same mantra has already started towards Williams and Spani, although before the game last night, LV fans were excited about the "energy" & "effort" the team had shown in the exhibition games. Drink some more orange Kool Aid LV fans, it's gonna be a long season!

Reaction Score
Louisville/Texas A&M 47-45 Final
I was at that game. A & M played much better than Louisville in the second half--real team ball. Tied with a few seconds to go, then Louisville got a bucket. A & M had more rebounds and assists. Should have won, but couldn't overcome a 14-point 1st half deficit.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
If we beat Georgia tomorrow, and Tennessee loses again we should take their spot.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Nah, just think of all the playing time available.
Some may not want playing time on a team they view as problematic. The sword cuts both ways. That fan group as found on the Summitt could become really ugly and turn on the kids as they have done before. Remember the whole no heart thing.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I can't even find Chattanooga's record from last year, but honestly, it would be like Stanford losing to Fresno State (Stanford beat them by only 11 tonight)...
They were 22-10 last year which sounds decent, but they only played two teams in the top 50; both losses. Lost to TN 90-47 and Baylor 91-31.

They lost to Cincinnati, which hints at how they would do in the Big East.

Reaction Score
I was at that game. A & M played much better than Louisville in the second half--real team ball. Tied with a few seconds to go, then Louisville got a bucket. A & M had more rebounds and assists. Should have won, but couldn't overcome a 14-point 1st half deficit.

I was watching on Gametracker...Tenn-Chattanooga being such a blowout...tied with 9 seconds left...great comeback by TAMU!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

And if I read correctly, TAMU had the ball OOB near the end when it was tied, but a Louisville player anticipated the throw in, stole it and went in for the winning layup.

Reaction Score
And if I read correctly, TAMU had the ball OOB near the end when it was tied, but a Louisville player anticipated the throw in, stole it and went in for the winning layup.

Shades of Larry Bird...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020