Tears For Coach K | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tears For Coach K

Reaction Score
At our best our forwards and centers were tougher and our guards were more skilled and grittier. JC and crew proved it on the floor in the biggest stage. K has always been 75% coach and 25% politician. JC was always 100% basketball coach. Even the Dukies know this is true. I'm very thankful I got to watch the JC/UCONN ride.

Even in retirement JC was more interesting and devoted to his players. JC wasn't healthy and saw an opportunity to give his guy an opportunity. An opportunity that maybe didn't exist without our tournament eligibility issues. No stupid vain going away tour. Just an simple offseason announcement and was over.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can't wait to see the downfall of Duke under Scheyer over the next few years. They may deny it, but no legend is ever followed by someone just as good
And let's hope the same for Cuse. Would really like Cuse to sink even further after Boeheim leaves.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Still in my mind is the regional final vs duck. We just beat I think Clemson via the pass. Duck is coming down court and Tate George reads a pass is coming. He seps in front of the duck player and intercepts the pass but momentum Carrie’s him out of bounds. Laitner throws the inbound pass and the ball is returned to him and duck beats us. If tate stays in bounds we are on the way to the final four. Instead we suffer 30 years if coach k and how great he is

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
At our best our forwards and centers were tougher and our guards were more skilled and grittier. JC and crew proved it on the floor in the biggest stage. K has always been 75% coach and 25% politician. JC was always 100% basketball coach. Even the Dukies know this is true. I'm very thankful I got to watch the JC/UCONN ride.

Even in retirement JC was more interesting and devoted to his players. JC wasn't healthy and saw an opportunity to give his guy an opportunity. An opportunity that maybe didn't exist without our tournament eligibility issues. No stupid vain going away tour. Just an simple offseason announcement and was over.

Imagine K taking a random D3 startup job. And being wildly successful.

Wouldn't and couldn't.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Still in my mind is the regional final vs duck. We just beat I think Clemson via the pass. Duck is coming down court and Tate George reads a pass is coming. He seps in front of the duck player and intercepts the pass but momentum Carrie’s him out of bounds. Laitner throws the inbound pass and the ball is returned to him and duck beats us. If tate stays in bounds we are on the way to the final four. Instead we suffer 30 years if coach k and how great he is

Bird Attack GIF

Reaction Score
I believe it was during the 2004 NCAA Final Four rematch that K admitted to Calhoun and the media that their teams' history trajectories might have been different if Tate George had secured that loose ball near the end of the game in that 1999 Christian Laitner deflater. With the time running out in that game, all Tate needed to do was push the ball further down the court away from Duke's basket and let the time run out. It took 9 more years and more deflating losses in the Great 8 (against Florida, Mississippi State and UCLA) for UConn to finally reach the Final Four. In that 1999 Great 8 resurrecting game against Gonzaga, Kevin Freeman had the presence of mind to grab the ball and throw it high in the air (keeping it away from Gonzaga players) to let the clock run out. After that, the pressure was off and Calhoun's teams went on to win 3 of the 4 (75%) Final Fours we participated in - a better winning percentage than what K has done with all of his 5-star recruits of privilege.

While its understandable that K was upset about the momentous loss in his final home game to arch rival UNC, I was surprised at the lack of sportsmanship displayed. First by his assistant coaches snubbing Hubert Davis in the hand-shake like and then by K not openly congratulating Davis and UNC players for their play in his farewell speech at Cameron. Duke's defense may have uncharacteristically broken down late in the second half, but North Carolina came out and won that game. K benefitted from that rivalry over years and he could have acknowledged it.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Two viewpoints.

One night, one team, all the emotions: The scene as UNC shocked everyone by beating Duke in Coach K’s final home game

No storybook ending for Coach K at Cameron. Now what happens for him and Duke?

Chef's kiss is this quote - "The Tar Heels boldly celebrated directly in front of the stunned student body, one Duke undergrad wailing, “I did not camp out in the cold for five weeks for this.’’ How Dukie.

Please let Duke flame out spectacularly in both the ACC and NCAA tourneys. Please.

Reaction Score
I gotta be honest, it was great seeing Duke that the L yesterday but seeing the fans cry, that hit me a little different. I felt bad for the fans.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
how you know it really stung - hate to see it

Maybe he thought UNC should have just rolled over for Coach K's last home game? Either way pretty low class.

Would have loved for some reporter with balls to ask about it in the post-game presser. Maybe we could have seen an addendum to the classic "you're not really that stupid, are you?" (JC answering Ken Krayeske back in 2009)...

Reaction Score
I believe it was during the 2004 NCAA Final Four rematch that K admitted to Calhoun and the media that their teams' history trajectories might have been different if Tate George had secured that loose ball near the end of the game in that 1999 Christian Laitner deflater. With the time running out in that game, all Tate needed to do was push the ball further down the court away from Duke's basket and let the time run out. It took 9 more years and more deflating losses in the Great 8 (against Florida, Mississippi State and UCLA) for UConn to finally reach the Final Four. In that 1999 Great 8 resurrecting game against Gonzaga, Kevin Freeman had the presence of mind to grab the ball and throw it high in the air (keeping it away from Gonzaga players) to let the clock run out. After that, the pressure was off and Calhoun's teams went on to win 3 of the 4 (75%) Final Fours we participated in - a better winning percentage than what K has done with all of his 5-star recruits of privilege.

While its understandable that K was upset about the momentous loss in his final home game to arch rival UNC, I was surprised at the lack of sportsmanship displayed. First by his assistant coaches snubbing Hubert Davis in the hand-shake like and then by K not openly congratulating Davis and UNC players for their play in his farewell speech at Cameron. Duke's defense may have uncharacteristically broken down late in the second half, but North Carolina came out and won that game. K benefitted from that rivalry over years and he could have acknowledged it.
Your premise is well stated but we did not lose to Miss St or FL in Elite 8, those were both Sweet 16. We lost to Maryland, UNC and Fn George Mason in the Elite 8 in addition to UCLA.

Reaction Score
It was pretty epic yesterday. I didn't know about quse losing until this morning so reading their board has been delightful.

Re: dook : It was hilarious when they showed Jason Williams in the crowd expressing to call a Time-Out to stop the bleeding and UNC just went down to the rim again and again and kicking out for 3's. Finally a TV Time out came. K yelled at the crowd at the end of the game saying it was unacceptable.

Dook D has always been awful but it usually doesn't matter because their offense is more than enough to make up for it against most teams.

To the crying fans, life sucks get a helmet. You're not entitled to anything.

I have to say that the players are more likeable than of years past. That may change with some recruits next year and funny face at the helm.

Reaction Score
Your premise is well stated but we did not lose to Miss St or FL in Elite 8, those were both Sweet 16. We lost to Maryland, UNC and Fn George Mason in the Elite 8 in addition to UCLA.
Thanks for the correction. I must remember the magnitude of the pain from those NCAA tourney losses more than the game positions in the brackets.

Reaction Score
I gotta be honest, it was great seeing Duke that the L yesterday but seeing the fans cry, that hit me a little different. I felt bad for the fans.
Most of them were handed 6-figure jobs straight out of college just for having that four-letter word on their resumes. They’ll be fine.

Reaction Score
When you have ESPN in your pocket and pumping you for 30 years and can have any recruit you want, fair argument K should have won more titles...we blocked a couple :)

What Calhoun did at UConn more impressive to me but biased obviously.
Jim Calhoun is the greatest program builder in cbb history and its not even a debate. Ollie winning a title with his recruits sealed it.

Reaction Score

Coach K isn’t a good sport and doesn’t have class. This is the same guy who scolded Dylan Brooks because he scored late against Duke, then lied about what was said because he knew people would believe him over some college kid, then had to apologize when audio came out confirming Brooks’ account of the events. He’s a clown.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Coach K isn’t a good sport and doesn’t have class. This is the same guy who scolded Dylan Brooks because he scored late against Duke, then lied about what was said because he knew people would believe him over some college kid, then had to apologize when audio came out confirming Brooks’ account of the events. He’s a clown.
This is also the same coach who throughout his career was unable or unwilling to rein in over the top, overly physical, and even outright dangerous antics by his players (Laettner chest stomp, Henderson flying elbow drop, multiple "Disgrayson" trips, etc.). The "Leader of Men" was an absolute sham, ESPN and various other media created a mythology about him that was a completely false narrative.

About that Henderson incident, in my mind it's kind of morphed into a scene from "A Few Good Men"--you're **** right I ordered the code red!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If you ever have the opportunity to watch that game (regional final against Duke) pay close attention to how that play (Tate cutting off Hurley's pass) ended. Tate jumped the passing lane and was about to steal the ball. K saw what was happening and jumped (barely) onto the court, rolling his arms like a ref calling a travel, about five feet to Tate's right (my only guess is that K realized if Tate gets the ball the game is over unless something like a travel is called, so he was trying to give the ref the idea).

Tate glances over to K, loses sight of the ball and fumbles it out of bounds.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom